Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

great videos Hanks....So, which one you leaning more towards? I just persoanlly loved the K15 and think it will be hard to beat.

I think you might change your mind if you hit the G20, its very very good.

I think you might change your mind if you hit the G20, its very very good.

ahhh hell, why did you go and do that to me? haha. Now I am even more excited to git it

I got away for a quick range session last night. The course had a G20... So naturally I hit it.

I thought it felt and sounded pretty good. It wasn't as much like the K15 as I had hoped. One thing was it didnt have that nice sound/feel the K15 had. The K15 felt like you were crushing something and to me the G20 felt more like a G15 than K15. Understandable but I was really disappointed there. The shaft wasnt bad but the distance was behind my Razr Hawk.

Overall, I wasn't impressed and was really disappointed it wasn't more K15 like to me. I know it is to others, but imo its definitely missing something. The sound/feel is a big part of it, not the most important thing but really the biggest factor I liked about the K15. Maybe more time with it?

Thanks for the videos, OEM and Hanks! I subbed the thread so I can remember to watch them tonight.

I got away for a quick range session last night. The course had a G20... So naturally I hit it.

I thought it felt and sounded pretty good. It wasn't as much like the K15 as I had hoped. One thing was it didnt have that nice sound/feel the K15 had. The K15 felt like you were crushing something and to me the G20 felt more like a G15 than K15. Understandable but I was really disappointed there. The shaft wasnt bad but the distance was behind my Razr Hawk.

Overall, I wasn't impressed and was really disappointed it wasn't more K15 like to me. I know it is to others, but imo its definitely missing something. The sound/feel is a big part of it, not the most important thing but really the biggest factor I liked about the K15. Maybe more time with it?

man.....you guys are just running me in circles. I guess i will just have to get out there and test em both.

man.....you guys are just running me in circles. I guess i will just have to get out there and test em both.

You have to try it dude. All it said to me was.... G15... new look. Not a bad thing at all, but if you're expecting a K15 like smash, I dont know.

Little broski, I much preferred the G20 to the K15. Next time you're over this way we'll go demo them at GolfUSA.

Awesome pics and videos Hanks (OEM too) I am with One-T in that I really liked the K15 but the more great stuff I keep hearing about the 20 is making me very excited to hit it!

I dunno dude, I cant remember hitting the G15 recently. But I know compared to the Hawk that G20 sure does sound powerful. And Ive been crushing it too. Distance has been very good for me so far. And I love just how easy it is to hit the sweet spot.

I dunno dude, I cant remember hitting the G15 recently. But I know compared to the Hawk that G20 sure does sound powerful. And Ive been crushing it too. Distance has been very good for me so far. And I love just how easy it is to hit the sweet spot.

I think TMex is BBM high bro.

Little broski, I much preferred the G20 to the K15. Next time you're over this way we'll go demo them at GolfUSA.

only if we can take them to the range.

I loved the forgiveness, sound/feel of the K15 but the performance wasn't there. I thought the G15 felt/sounded ok but the performance was great. The G20 was easy to hit, seemed long (just not as long as the Hawk). I was just really disappointed it didnt have the K15 sound/feel. I just had it in my head that's what it was going to be. Probably the wrong mindset to have. The Hawk and Ping G20 have completely different sounds/feel at impact though, you're absolutely right.

Ill probably hit it again though.

I think TMex is BBM high bro.

Dare I say you can almost flail at the G20 and still hit it good? Ive looked at the G15 a few times just havent hit it. I think the G20 is quite a bit different looking, no?

Of course we can.

Dare I say you can almost flail at the G20 and still hit it good? Ive looked at the G15 a few times just havent hit it. I think the G20 is quite a bit different looking, no?

You have to try it dude. All it said to me was.... G15... new look. Not a bad thing at all, but if you're expecting a K15 like smash, I dont know.

Very different......

The G20 looks like the K15 to me. I like it a lot more than the K15 as well. I'll be looking forward to Hanks' thoughts as he has both. I bet the G20 w/ stock shaft outperforms the K15.

The G series hasnt been the same for me since the G10, I thought it was the best driver they have ever made, which IMO outperformed the G15.

I dont think I have ever hit a K15 though. Hm...

Well, I just picked up a G20. I've hit the G10 and G15, but not the K15. From what I've hit on launch monitors, though, the G20 seems to outpace the others by quite a bit. I'm looking forward to stomping on the gas a few times when I get it out on the course.

Well, I just picked up a G20. I've hit the G10 and G15, but not the K15. From what I've hit on launch monitors, though, the G20 seems to outpace the others by quite a bit. I'm looking forward to stomping on the gas a few times when I get it out on the course.

I tend to agree Dan. Look forward to your updates once you get it out. Ive had it on the range twice now and the course once and came away each time more impressed.

color me crazy here but I think the difference and sound between the 2 comes from club face construction. Pure speculation on my part but it feels to me that the K15 club face may be 'thinner' than the G20's. I may ask PING if this is true or not but I think it feels that way. The ball springs off the K15 but it launches off the G20 if that makes sense?

It's a toss up right now buddy. It's going to come down to basic numbers for me I think and I want to do an apples to apples comparison as well. that will mean sticking the C Kua in it after my testing is done and then see what happens from there.

This. Towards the end I was not swinging my best and was almost throwing my hands at the ball with it and was still getting a solid 205 out of a poor swing. Mostly all of my shots last night were hitting the net at the end of the range on the fly which and that's a good 240 out. No doubt in my mind I would've been hitting 250+ with it last night if I were on the course.

It''ll be interesting to see if that's the case. It's definitely a longer shaft than what I have in the K15 right now which I'm still getting used to but my misses were not as 'good' as the K15's were last night. Overall though the G20 is fighting hard to be in my bag for fall golf season that's for sure.

The G20 looks like the K15 to me. I like it a lot more than the K15 as well. I'll be looking forward to Hanks' thoughts as he has both. I bet the G20 w/ stock shaft outperforms the K15.

Makes sense Hanks! Glad to know I wasn't going crazy it what I heard/felt. Not saying its good/bad just not what I was expecting.

I could not hear any difference between the K15 and G20 in the videos in the updated first post.

color me crazy here but I think the difference and sound between the 2 comes from club face construction. Pure speculation on my part but it feels to me that the K15 club face may be 'thinner' than the G20's. I may ask PING if this is true or not but I think it feels that way. The ball springs off the K15 but it launches off the G20 if that makes sense?

Here's what Ping has to say about the G20's face:

The G20’s large, variable-thickness face generates faster ball speeds and increases MOI for maximum forgiveness.

I don't see anything about the thickness of the face on their description of the K15. I think the major changes are in weight distribution.

***skim alert!!***

I have been hearing so much good things about this driver from a GI point of view. Has anyone tried it with either the Shotmaker or Nunchuck shaft? A super forgiving, fairway-finding, bomb launcher sounds good to me!

Back