Ping G20 Driver Review

I have a fitting this afternoon on the Trackman to see what shaft to get.

I have a fitting this afternoon on the Trackman to see what shaft to get.

It's a pretty thorough process if it's like what I did last weekend. I ended up with the 707D I20 shaft in the G20 head cut down to 45". It was an awesome combo for me.

It's a pretty thorough process if it's like what I did last weekend. I ended up with the 707D I20 shaft in the G20 head cut down to 45". It was an awesome combo for me.

I am hoping it will help me cut down my spin numbers.

Do you have the 30 minute fitting session?

Not sure how long but he said we will find one that works right. They have both the Trackman and nFlight at this place. He said they have every G20 head and 15-20 different shafts to try with it.

Not sure how long but he said we will find one that works right. They have both the Trackman and nFlight at this place. He said they have every G20 head and 15-20 different shafts to try with it.

Are you considering a shorter shaft length too? Or going to stick with the stock length?

Are you considering a shorter shaft length too? Or going to stick with the stock length?

Good question. I haven't really thought about it. I am damn short so maybe a shorter length will help me.

Good question. I haven't really thought about it. I am damn short so maybe a shorter length will help me.

Ive been tossing this idea around quite a bit myself. G20 is not a short driver and its heavy too.

I had them put a 45" shaft in the G20 head during the fitting and it didn't feel any different to me weight-wise compared to the regular length shaft.

Ive been tossing this idea around quite a bit myself. G20 is not a short driver and its heavy too.

I actually like that it is heavy. Most others feel too light to me. I may end up geting fitted and if I find out I can use the stock shaft I will probably get it from Golfsmith because of their 30day guarantee.

I love the stock shafts they have. The fitter was able to get my from 10* launch angle and 4200 RPM to 13* and 2200 RPM by using the I20 shaft and it was only about $30 more.

I love the stock shafts they have. The fitter was able to get my from 10* launch angle and 4200 RPM to 13* and 2200 RPM by using the I20 shaft and it was only about $30 more.

Cool, That is something I might need. I think I was getting around that lauch angle with 3800 spin.

I actually like that it is heavy. Most others feel too light to me. I may end up geting fitted and if I find out I can use the stock shaft I will probably get it from Golfsmith because of their 30day guarantee.

Smart move. I hate that about Golf Galaxy, essentially after you hit it, its yours for good.

Smart move. I hate that about Golf Galaxy, essentially after you hit it, its yours for good.

Well, you can return it as a trade-in and get about 30% of what you originally paid, lol

This thread has me in serious ponder mode. The SuperTri has done nothing to get kicked out of the bag but I feel the need to hit this driver. I picked one up @ GG last week and just took a couple practice swings and noticed what others have said-it feels a bit heavier than a lot of drivers and I like that.

This thread has me in serious ponder mode. The SuperTri has done nothing to get kicked out of the bag but I feel the need to hit this driver. I picked one up @ GG last week and just took a couple practice swings and noticed what others have said-it feels a bit heavier than a lot of drivers and I like that.

You know what needs to be done Doug. Go back in the hitting area and go HAM with it.

Yeah, c'mon Doug. I liked the SuperTri but that is so 3 drivers go :act-up: Seriously, I did have the Supertri and really liked it but think this G20 will be even better for me in terms of consistency - need some on course time to gauge distance for sure

You know what needs to be done Doug. Go back in the hitting area and go HAM with it.

You are a wise man, KMAC. I need to hit it next to the SuperTri and just see what the #'s are. Is this considered a low spin head? that is my only issue with the ST-a bit of balloon ball at times.

Yeah, c'mon Doug. I liked the SuperTri but that is so 3 drivers go :act-up: Seriously, I did have the Supertri and really liked it but think this G20 will be even better for me in terms of consistency - need some on course time to gauge distance for sure

I know, right? The ST is like a dinosaur now. Distance isn't a big issue for me so if I could pick up some forgiveness, I'm all for that.

yes it is Doug

You are a wise man, KMAC. I need to hit it next to the SuperTri and just see what the #'s are. Is this considered a low spin head? that is my only issue with the ST-a bit of balloon ball at times.

Yeah I think the G20 is a slow spin high trajectory kind of driver.

Thanks, fellas. Guess it is time to grip it and rip it.

Yes! I like it. I think you'll find the performance better then the ST and just as forgiving. Actually those are my two gamers right now. ST because its lighter on the hand for now and till the Fast12 comes.

I remember a little bit of that ballooning with my Supertri also, Doug, but liked the "soft but stable" feel of the shaft/head combo and was pretty darn straight with it though distance was really average. I've only hit the G20 on the range to get fitted for purchase but I definitely support Kmac and Hanks that it is definitely lower spin for me. I didn't really think about it until you mentioned the Supertri but I think the G20 has that same type of "feel."

Back