Ping G20 Driver Review

Good question. If you cut it you have definitely changed the weight of the club no matter where you grip it but gripping down the club itself still weighs the same you've just shortened it a bit. I guess it could still have the same effect though.

Ping's response to my question about cutting .75" off the shaft: "It is ok (to do), you will loose about 4-5 swingweight points when doing this. Which will make the club feel a little lighter."

Ping's response to my question about cutting .75" off the shaft: "It is ok (to do), you will loose about 4-5 swingweight points when doing this. Which will make the club feel a little lighter."

Good to know they dont discourage it but 4-5 swingweight points seems like a lot.

Took this to the range last night. Didn't have a very good driver swing going though. I did hit some flat out bombs with this. The funny thing is that most GI drivers that I have hit tend to be easy to draw. The G20 is definitely a fade biased driver. Sometimes you just know when you caught one perfect and I hit a few like that last night. Each one of those drives was a nice little fade. I am considering chopping this down a bit and adding some lead tape to get the weight back up

Took this to the range last night. Didn't have a very good driver swing going though. I did hit some flat out bombs with this. The funny thing is that most GI drivers that I have hit tend to be easy to draw. The G20 is definitely a fade biased driver. Sometimes you just know when you caught one perfect and I hit a few like that last night. Each one of those drives was a nice little fade. I am considering chopping this down a bit and adding some lead tape to get the weight back up

Lead tape is serious stuff. Ive never lead taped any of my golf clubs but maybe I need to step it up.

All this swing weight concern is serious stuff. I reckon I just hit the ball. I will agree that this driver is more fade biased than it is draw. I know for a fact that I can't hit the thing right, which is pretty awesome. I actually hit this the best since I've had it on Monday. Just pure straight balls. I prefer those the most. My favorite thing is how easy it is to hit. What a convenience.

I get my lead tape from a secret tour only connection. TMex would even want this driver once I spackle it with Tour Tape

I reckon this is one of the more 'grip and rip' drivers Ive ever tried. It really just wants you to flail at the ball and it will do the rest.

*ears perk up* thanks for the knowledge tequila!

I get my lead tape from a secret tour only connection. TMex would even want this driver once I spackle it with Tour Tape

LOL....Tmex can't not have forged irons. What an elitist.

LOL....Tmex can't not have forged irons. What an elitist.

Maybe we should bump up the CB3 thread for him

TC, maybe I missed it but what shaft are you playng in your G20

Gah I just bought a new driver, but the reviews here and my past use and love of the G15 means I have to go demo this at my local Ping retailer. More info coming soon and maybe a new driver in the bag.

TC, maybe I missed it but what shaft are you playng in your G20

TC is the anti Super Tuna. I reckon he has the stock TFC in there

Chunky, Hanks and others - if any of you decide to cut your shaft please post feedback here. I am interested in doing it but don't necessarily want to go first :)

ouch! seriously though, I'll look into doing that after the MC at the earliest

Chunky, Hanks and others - if any of you decide to cut your shaft please post feedback here. I am interested in doing it but don't necessarily want to go first :)

That is correct. I'm a stock shaft kind of guy.

Me too broski. Me too! LOL. Stupid forgings. If I wasn't so good at being a below average golfer I could play game improvement stuff.

There were more good balls tonight at the range but overall I'm still struggling with this club. After today I'm less concerned with shortening the driver than figuring out how to consistently bring the club down instead of across and do this complex move called a turn. I suck (well actually I hit my irons pretty nicely so maybe its 'I suck with this club...right now'.

HOLY $&!?, guys!!! I have really been enjoying my i20. I hit it pretty well and the distance and accuracy is on par with my 910 D2. I am more excited about the fact that it looks like Bruce Wayne's driver than any kind of real performance gains with it.

Anyway, this is the G20 thread and I just wanted to post that I will probably, more than likely, most definitely be switching to the G20 in the next few days. The pro shop at Klipper let me use their demo G20 w/ stock stiff shaft in it because I left my driver at the house today.

I'll just say that I never even had a G20 cross my mind as a possible gamer. But I do believe that I'm a sold man.

This is what happened on the 14th and 15th holes today. Mind you I did take a much healthier swing at the ball than I usually do. Also slightly elevated tee boxes, but nothing crazy high.

When I hit this drive I just knew that I had to use the marker feature on my sky caddie. Sorry it's upside down.
aefdd86d-e7e2-e44d.jpg

And another one here that tickled my fancy. Decent elevation on tee box helped but also a strong left to right wind which doesn't like my draw at all mitigated a lot of the elevation help.
aefdd86d-e868-4c7d.jpg

Wow! Those were filthy long. Y'all are welcome...

Doing a little ball testing w/ the new Z-Star SL so I had white and yellow balls I was hitting on this day.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

HOLY $&!?, guys!!! I have really been enjoying my i20. I hit it pretty well and the distance and accuracy is on par with my 910 D2. I am more excited about the fact that it looks like Bruce Wayne's driver than any kind of real performance gains with it.

Anyway, this is the G20 thread and I just wanted to post that I will probably, more than likely, most definitely be switching to the G20 in the next few days. The pro shop at Klipper let me use their demo G20 w/ stock stiff shaft in it because I left my driver at the house today.

I'll just say that I never even had a G20 cross my mind as a possible gamer. But I do believe that I'm a sold man.

This is what happened on the 14th and 15th holes today. Mind you I did take a much healthier swing at the ball than I usually do. Also slightly elevated tee boxes, but nothing crazy high.

When I hit this drive I just knew that I had to use the marker feature on my sky caddie. Sorry it's upside down.
aefdd86d-e7e2-e44d.jpg

And another one here that tickled my fancy. Decent elevation on tee box helped but also a strong left to right wind which doesn't like my draw at all mitigated a lot of the elevation help.
aefdd86d-e868-4c7d.jpg

Wow! Those were filthy long. Y'all are welcome...

Doing a little ball testing w/ the new Z-Star SL so I had white and yellow balls I was hitting on this day.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Awesome drives dude. I think that is something the G20 really responds to and that is a healthy cut at the ball. Its about as forgiving a driver as Ive ever hit and it sure does like to be hit hard.

Holy long drives! I do agree Kmac. The G20 likes to be unleashed. Can't wait to go back to the range tonight

Holy long drives! I do agree Kmac. The G20 likes to be unleashed. Can't wait to go back to the range tonight

It sure does Chunky. What a complete and total change in drivers you made. Black to G20, they couldnt be more different lol. The G20 is the one club I have trouble swinging right now because of its weight. Im dying to get it back out and go HAM though.

I want ping clubs i20s to match my g20 like my heroes - Kmac, CL, and TC

They really are night and day. The G20 is more what I need because I do like to take a healthy cut with the driver. I need to get out there and test the Tour TFC vs. the Reg TFC to see if I like the Tour over the Reg. I've got the 30 day plan to test it out

Back