PING i230 Irons and iCrossover

I’m still loving the i230s! I’ve hit more greens from 160 out then I have ever hit before. Been a fun golf year this year! Now I just need my 3 crossover to come in!
I’m happy for you. Feel the exact opposite. Mine sound like someone is hitting a metal coffee can. Just played with a PGA pro and he asked me what was wrong with them

I’m happy for you. Feel the exact opposite. Mine sound like someone is hitting a metal coffee can. Just played with a PGA pro and he asked me what was wrong with them

following your roller coaster with them has given me some pause.

following your roller coaster with them has given me some pause.
My distance that allows for driver wedge is the only way I’ve put up a number respectable this season. I should have went Srixon or Apex. Buyers remorse and will move on. Cobra will be back in the back after today

it’s crazy one of my best friends is a Titleist staffer and thought they felt really good when he hit mine. His blades didn’t sound too good in my hands though lol! Definitely not agreeing with you but the Cobras are damn good irons and hard to beat!

it’s crazy one of my best friends is a Titleist staffer and thought they felt really good when he hit mine. His blades didn’t sound too good in my hands though lol! Definitely not agreeing with you but the Cobras are damn good irons and hard to beat!
It’s golf. It always wins lol. I’m actually doing something I said I would never do…. Thinking hollow body. If not Apex, the next set will be hollow.

I’m still loving the i230s! I’ve hit more greens from 160 out then I have ever hit before. Been a fun golf year this year! Now I just need my 3 crossover to come in!

just had my best round of the year (77) with my i230s. They give me great confidence and keep me in play when I miss. Not the longest, but the most accurate.

just had my best round of the year (77) with my i230s. They give me great confidence and keep me in play when I miss. Not the longest, but the most accurate.
Definitely not a distance iron and I like that. I know the numbers they go. High staight shots with plenty of spin!

Definitely not a distance iron and I like that. I know the numbers they go. High staight shots with plenty of spin!

exactly

the biggest thing i've noticed too...high, straight, and they go their distance consistently. it really helps confidence on approach shots.
switching from GI clubs to the i230s i was looking for higher ball flight and spin to help hold greens. mission accomplished.

Mine sound like a fart in a coffee can and spin around 8000 on a 7 iron inside. Will be gone towards a new release soon.

I tried to trade these in just now. Callaway doesn’t have a trade value. Be nice if they gave me a full $500 so I can double it.

I tried to trade these in just now. Callaway doesn’t have a trade value. Be nice if they gave me a full $500 so I can double it.
If you're near a PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy, you could take them there and trade them in for Paradym or Big Bertha hybrids. Then go to CallawayGolf.com and trade in the Paradym hybrids for $330 each or Big Bertha hybrids for $300 each, both obviously higher values than retail!

I have had no issues with the sound or feel of the i230’s. Accuracy has been really good but I am shorter with these than last years 223’s and Titleist T100S irons. These were my first real go with graphite shafts so that could have something to do with. I’m going to stick it through for this year and then maybe go back to steel with my next set. Love how the look in the bag and down at address

I have had no issues with the sound or feel of the i230’s. Accuracy has been really good but I am shorter with these than last years 223’s and Titleist T100S irons. These were my first real go with graphite shafts so that could have something to do with. I’m going to stick it through for this year and then maybe go back to steel with my next set. Love how the look in the bag and down at address

I have actually played the 223 and the t100s. The 223 had weird gaps for me. The t100s went the same distance as my i230 go. But the i230 go higher and actually spin a bit more then the others. Which I like and they just want to go straight. I couldn’t tell any real feel difference between any of them out of the middle of the club

I've been playing a set of i230's since they released and I think I might be putting them up for sale. I absolutely love the consistency and I don't think I've ever played a more consistent iron.

But...

I've lost at least a half a club in distance which I'm attributing to the crazy high flight I've been seeing. Originally I thought I would just send them in to get Power Spec'd but I'm not sure that will fix it enough. I'm also wondering if the wider sole just isn't for me. That part might just be a mental thing for me because I've always liked a little thinner sole.

I really wanted to love these but I'm not sure I can make them work for me.

I’m happy some of you have gotten these to work for you. I tried. Just didn’t happen. Moved on today. Go low guys!

I hit a Mizuno Pro 225 7i with Recoil 95 and an i230 7i Power Spec in Dart 90 - and for me the i230 was much easier to get in the air. The 225 was too low.

Really liking the i230 as my swing improves. I've gone to the range for an hour each morning to ingrain patterns. I'm going to drag the club head a little more to see if I can take off a couple more degrees of loft for distance purposes.

Last edited:
I hit a Mizuno Pro 223 7i with Recoil 95 and an i230 7i Power Spec in Dart 90 - and for me the i230 was much easier to get in the air. The 223 was too low.

Really liking the i230 as my swing improves. I've gone to the range for an hour each morning to ingrain patterns. I'm going to drag the club head a little more to see if I can take off a couple more degrees of loft for distance purposes.

i enjoy the i230 more then the 223s. In powerspec I’m sure they will be just as long if not a smidge longer with the added height! Plus once you get your swing dialed in, I think you’ll enjoy them

i enjoy the i230 more then the 223s. In powerspec I’m sure they will be just as long if not a smidge longer with the added height! Plus once you get your swing dialed in, I think you’ll enjoy them

I agree with you. In power spec, I am longer in the i230.

But I made a mistake in my post above - the 225 was more difficult for me to air out (less spin) than the 223, which is why I chose them two years ago. I am enjoying the i230, especially in the Dart 90.

I'm still hitting all of my irons SOOO bad right now thatbi can't form a good opinion. Last fall I hit them great when doing demos.
Funny thing is I'm really hitting the driver great eight now.

Such a stupid game!

Demo'd on course a 7i std length with DG105 R300 .....very solid , very straight and controllable.....all things I'm looking for since ridding myself of the i210s.

For the guys with spin issues, have you addressed your ball? The 2023 prov1 is a much lower spin ball than its predecessor.

Demo'd on course a 7i std length with DG105 R300 .....very solid , very straight and controllable.....all things I'm looking for since ridding myself of the i210s.

For the guys with spin issues, have you addressed your ball? The 2023 prov1 is a much lower spin ball than its predecessor.
[/QUOTE

in my fitting spin was a little high so ended up in the project ls shaft and it knocked it down a few hundred revs. Also went from using a pro v1x to the ball you mentioned. It’s been a great combo. The 4-5 irons in the 230 are my favorite long irons I’ve ever played

Man I hadn't been in here in a while but wanted to share some thoughts on a club swap outing with these. Been an interesting read catching up. Made me go back and watch the couple videos I did with them.

I talk a lot about sound and feel in the second one. More than I remembered.

Anyway, played them in the swap with the same shaft I tested with in the second vid. And it was good. I still think they're really good irons. I played a guy last weekend playing them too actually, and we didn't talk much but he did say that he's really liked them. And he was in stick mode with them. 🔥 Tough out. Well then having to play them I got to remember what I like about them. Still dig the grooves. Still think the feel is pretty consistent and pretty good, and flights and spins were seriously solid. And that I'm still just not a ping guy. I played them well. I think they're real solid performers though and I kind of love how they can stretch a bit more than some in the type of players they fit. It was fun.

Man I hadn't been in here in a while but wanted to share some thoughts on a club swap outing with these. Been an interesting read catching up. Made me go back and watch the couple videos I did with them.

I talk a lot about sound and feel in the second one. More than I remembered.

Anyway, played them in the swap with the same shaft I tested with in the second vid. And it was good. I still think they're really good irons. I played a guy last weekend playing them too actually, and we didn't talk much but he did say that he's really liked them. And he was in stick mode with them. 🔥 Tough out. Well then having to play them I got to remember what I like about them. Still dig the grooves. Still think the feel is pretty consistent and pretty good, and flights and spins were seriously solid. And that I'm still just not a ping guy. I played them well. I think they're real solid performers though and I kind of love how they can stretch a bit more than some in the type of players they fit. It was fun.

I’m still not a Ping guy either. There are something’s I still have to get over with them (superficial) but man they do perform super well.

After going back to playing old school Bridgestone J40 DPC's I think I've definitely concluded that the i230's just aren't going to work for me. I love, love, love the consistency of the i230's but the larger sole just doesn't work for me. It looks like I'll be putting these up for sale sometime soon.

Back