Premier League 2011-12 season (Spoilers)

City wins, 2-0. Good to see that Stoke tied United, First place to United on goal differential (17-14) after 6 games. Both teams with 5 wins and a draw.

It's been the best start to a season for us (United) for as long as I can remember. Hopefully it won't detract from our second half of the season form, which is usually so strong.

This week's televised Champions League games. All times eastern.

Tuesday, September 27:
  • Man United v Basel [Champions League], 2:45pm, on Fox Soccer (also shown on FOXSoccer.tv on delay after 5pm)
  • Bayern Munich v Manchester City [Champions League], 2:45pm, on Fox Soccer Plus and FOXSoccer.tv
Wednesday, September 28:
  • Valencia v Chelsea [Champions League], 2:45pm, on Fox Soccer (also shown on FOXSoccer.tv on delay after 5pm)
  • Arsenal v Olympiacos [Champions League], 2:45pm, on Fox Soccer Plus and FOXSoccer.tv

I'll spoiler this for now. I know the thread says (spoilers) but I don't know if you guys usually practice a certain time after the matches when spoilers can be discussed (as I have seen someplaces before)or not, for the purposes of giving all timezones a chance to see the games first.
Spoiler
F****!
Stunned by the performance of FC Basel, but we really let that one slip there.

I thought the penalty was very soft. I've seen them given and also not given.
I counted at least three times in the closing minutes that the ref managed to interspose himself into the path of a United pass in the middle of a dangerous move. :realmad:

City were very underwhelming, to be honest. They started quickly, but Bayern just soaked it up and started to turn the tables from about the 25th minute and, I thought, dominated from then on.
I'm no manager, but Mancini's subs really confused me. 0-2 down and of his subbs, he brought on DeJong, Milner and the big left back whose name I have forgotten. Not exactly changes that telegraph any attacking intent...

Last edited:
Damage limitation I'm thinking Geezer since GD does count. Silly not to have Dejong on in the first place though, he's what allows the AM's to function as they do.

Man U all the way this season...again. Only wish we got more games programmed on CAN Sports chans.

City loses 2-0 to Bayern. Joe Hart made some great saves but there was no defense. And I agree, the substitutions made no sense.

City loses 2-0 to Bayern. Joe Hart made some great saves but there was no defense. And I agree, the substitutions made no sense.

Tough loss there no doubt. Didn't get the chance to see it in full unfortunately.

Tough loss there no doubt. Didn't get the chance to see it in full unfortunately.
They were completely overmatched. I don't think City had a legitimate shot on goal today.

They were completely overmatched. I don't think City had a legitimate shot on goal today.

Yeah from what I saw I was pretty surprised. I thought it would at least be a decent match.

This weekend's broadcast games, all times eastern. Only four of these are on TV this weekend.

Saturday October 1:
  • Everton v Liverpool, 7.45am, ESPN2/ESPN3.com/ESPN Deportes
  • Man United v Norwich, 10am, FOX Soccer (also shown on replay on FOXSoccer.tv after midnight)
  • Aston Villa v Wigan, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
  • Blackburn v Man City, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
  • Sunderland v West Brom, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
  • Wolves v Newcastle, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
Sunday October 2:
  • Bolton v Chelsea, 8.30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOXSoccer.tv
  • Fulham v QPR, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
  • Swansea v Stoke, 10am, FOXSoccer.tv
  • Tottenham v Arsenal, 11am, FOX Soccer (also shown on FOX Broadcasting Company on tape delay at either 2pm or 4:30pm, and shown on delay on FOXSoccer.tv after midnight)

Thoughts on the latest Tevez saga?

Allegedly refused to play when called upon by the manager during the second half of the Bayern game.
Mancini now saying that he's (Tevez) finished at the club. Tevez claiming a misunderstanding.

If he refused to play, he should be suspended, which he is, for two weeks. City is trying to figure a way to keep suspending him until the transfer window opens.

I think I'd go so far as to call it a breach of contract and fire fim.

Biggest problem with that is then it would deprive the club of a transfer fee for him, so it probably won't happen.

City could ban Tevez until January

September 29, 2011
By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

carlostevez,robertomancini20110918_275x155.jpg

GettyImages
Carlos Tevez and Roberto Mancini:
Broken relationship after their spat in Munich

Tevez suspended by Man City
PFA chief Taylor wants resolution
Warm-up issue sparked row
Tevez blames 'misunderstanding'

Manchester City's lawyers are examining the club's options but it now looks as though Carlos Tevez will not kick a ball again until January at the earliest. City's legal experts are examining the rule book to find a way of suspending Tevez the maximum of two weeks on a rolling basis until the transfer window opens after manager Roberto Mancini claimed the striker refused to play against Bayern Munich on Tuesday night.

Suspension is a preferable option to sacking the striker and pursuing him for compensation for gross misconduct and breach of contract, a sum which would effectively be paid by the club he signs for in January. However, that option has not as yet been ruled out. Imposing the initial two-week suspension is only the first part of City's punishment for Tevez after extensive talks between chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Mancini, temporary chief executive John MacBeath and their lawyers, with the club backing the manager against one of the club's most prized players.

Tevez earns £200,000-a-week, so would lose around £3 million in wages if City can ban him for the 15 weeks until the transfer window is open again. The internal club suspension will also cost Tevez appearance money and other bonuses, potentially worth £500,000-a-week.

That is sure to be challenged by Tevez and his legal team and advisors, while Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor is anxious for round-table negotiations to mediate. This would enable Tevez to move on in January but continue to play in the meantime. That might entail Tevez making an apology to Mancini, but that so far is not forthcoming and ESPNsoccernet sources have indicated that the player feels he has done nothing wrong. With City taking a hardline approach, there seems little room for compromise, and they are now consulting with the FA to see if the suspension could be extended should that be deemed necessary once the findings of the club's internal review has been completed.

Mancini has already stated that Tevez refused to come on as a substitute at Bayern Munich while the Argentine striker has insisted it was a misunderstanding, so the player, his representatives and his legal team will be given every opportunity to put their side of the events as part of the investigation. ESPNsoccernet has established that Tevez believes the row happened after he refused to warm up a second time and that he did not refuse to play.

An official club statement on Wednesday night read: "Manchester City can confirm that striker Carlos Tevez has been suspended until further notice for a maximum period of two weeks. The player's suspension is pending a full review into his alleged conduct during Tuesday evening's 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich. "The player will not be considered for selection or take part in training whilst the review is under way."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...-could-ban-carlos-tevez-until-january?cc=5901

ManU up 1-0 after a great play finished off by the head of Anderson.

City 4, Blackburn 0. Goals by Adam Johnson, Nasri, Balotelli and Savic. All in the second half.

United in first place by one goal, both teams with 6 wins and a draw, 19 points.

City 4, Blackburn 0. Goals by Adam Johnson, Nasri, Balotelli and Savic. All in the second half.

United in first place by one goal, both teams with 6 wins and a draw, 19 points.

Thanks for the update Smalls. I realy don't follow the this as much as I should. Just busy with other sports I guess, so I'll have to rely on you for quick updates. :)

Man U 2-0 win. Big plus, got to see the first half action on Sportsnet before I left for my round.

Jeez, its really got to suck being an Arsenal supporter this season! They look totally lost out there. A derby´s a derby and Spurs is a solid team but Arsenal......Its almost painful to watch right now.

The merseyside derby was unfortunately decided by the Ref who found a pretty harsh red card. Being and LFC fan I still would have liked Everton finishing the game with 11 players.

The merseyside derby was unfortunately decided by the Ref who found a pretty harsh red card. Being and LFC fan I still would have liked Everton finishing the game with 11 players.
To be fair, that's putting it lightly. It wasn't even a foul, imo. Won the ball cleanly, no studs, gently bumped into Suarez with his trailing leg.
Suarez' reaction got Rodwell sent off. Deplorable git.
There was a tackle shortly after on Charlie Adam that merited a yellow at least, probably red, and the ref didn't even blow for a free.
Inconsistancy at it's worst :(

Poor Bolton today. I wonder if AVB sat Lampard to peeve him off and if he did, it certainly seems to be working. He was rampant today. Sturridge looks ace as well, he's really coming along nicely.

The Juve v Milan game was excellent as well. Juve won as they deserved but my did they have to work for it. Seria A is really looking great this year with Napoli and Udinese rocking it and Juve finding their belief again.

This weeks televised matches:

Saturday, October 15:
  • Liverpool v Man United, 7:45am, ESPN2/ESPN3.com/ESPN Deportes
  • Manchester City v Aston Villa, 10am, FOX Soccer and FOX Deportes
  • Norwich v Swansea, 10am, FOX Soccer Plus and foxsoccer.tv
  • Wigan v Bolton, 10am, foxsoccer.tv
  • Stoke v Fulham, 10am, foxsoccer.tv
  • QPR v Blackburn, 10am, foxsoccer.tv
  • Chelsea v Everton, 12:30pm, FOX Soccer and FOX Deportes
Sunday, October 16:
  • West Brom v Wolves, 7am, foxsoccer.tv
  • Arsenal v Sunderland, 8:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and foxsoccer.tv
  • Newcastle v Tottenham, 11am, FOX Soccer and Fox Deportes
All times Eastern.

I'm watching the City-Villa game from yesterday on DVR.

Right now its 3-0 City with a reverse kick over the head goal by Balotelli in the first half, and second half goals by Adam Johnson and one by Kompany on a corner kick. And there's still 36 minutes left.

Back