Pure Shot Forum Testing Review Thread

facetape92111.jpg
[/IMG]

Here we go, like I said above, you can see that 6/10 shots were right in the middle. I will hit with the tape on again before I use the driver, I don't think I normally hit 60% on the screws like that.

Thanks war.eagle. I guess what it brings to the table for me is a feeling that I'm doing something right, not something wrong. And to my game, that is often more important than my mechanics.

I like this point of view as well as the others. Seems like you could really groove a rhythm. I could see it working to your advantage and disadvantage as well.

facetape92111.jpg
[/IMG]

Here we go, like I said above, you can see that 6/10 shots were right in the middle. I will hit with the tape on again before I use the driver, I don't think I normally hit 60% on the screws like that.

Nice pic dude!! Maybe you do though!

JRod... i loved the videos man. I see your point and I'm kinda torn on if this aid would help. I see the mental benefits of it.

Thanks for the pics DMB!!! Covered it all man!

I took the Pure Shot for the test drive today for around 35 - 40 balls. Several observations. 1.) The club is extremely solid when struck well. 2.) To me, the feed back was immediate on poor shots. I knew the ball wasn't struck well right away. 3.) Many of the poorly struck shots were my normal misses only exaggerated. 4.) The weight of the club is a little bit lighter than mine, and I agree with Jrod that the shaft is a tad whippy. 5.) Near the end of my bucket I thought to myself, " if you hit three solid shots with the Pure Shot in a row you can finish the bucket off with your driver." After those three shots, all struck well, I pulled out my driver. WOW. This is what I was looking for mentally. Standing over the ball, with as much confidence as I have ever had over the ball. I then proceeded to fire out about 6 missiles dead straight on the screws. I felt so good I went out and braved the rain for a quick round of 9. After using the Pure Shot, I proceeded to hit 4 out of 6 fairways in which I used my driver. This is honestly tied for the most fairways I have hit on the front 9 so far this year. I guess for me, I'm using it as more of a mental tool. If my swing feels good, and all my normal positions are reached in my swing, the club delivers and I can find the sweetspot. Once I hit several in a row with it, my confidence level goes up. I didn't try to figure out the issues with my swing with it when balls were struck poorly. I just reset, trusted my swing and form and focused on where I felt like my swing was off to correct it. I'm not sure how it is being marketed exactly, but I did feel like it was a serious confidence booster for me. In that sense, so far, I like it.

Maybe that's all there is to it, you keep hitting balls with it until you begin to hit the sweet spot consistantly and that ingrains good thoughts in your mind....no "how to" for correcting mistakes..it leaves you to try and correct them, but it lets you know immediately what works and what doesn't...that way when you actually hit the sweet spot you know it right away and can try to repeat that swing over and over.

Maybe it's that simple?

Maybe that's all there is to it, you keep hitting balls with it until you begin to hit the sweet spot consistantly and that ingrains good thoughts in your mind....no "how to" for correcting mistakes..it leaves you to try and correct them, but it lets you know immediately what works and what doesn't...that way when you actually hit the sweet spot you know it right away and can try to repeat that swing over and over.

Maybe it's that simple?

Maybe you're right TBT, it sounds like they aren't trying to "fix a swing" but once you have a swing dialed in to use it over and over. I assume it just can't be any more than that. (To JROD's favor, I'm not sure you can't just pound your R7 over and over for the same results).

Maybe you're right TBT, it sounds like they aren't trying to "fix a swing" but once you have a swing dialed in to use it over and over. I assume it just can't be any more than that. (To JROD's favor, I'm not sure you can't just pound your R7 over and over for the same results).

Then here in lies the big question. Why not just use your regular driver with impact tape? Feedback is still there of course and in my testing, the difference in weight, shaft flex and overall feel of the Pure Shot compared to my driver was pretty substantial. It has not led to anything but further misses for me.

Im glad that some are seeing some nice things out of it. That is the goal of course. Keep up the great work guys, looking forward to hearing more about it.

Just caught up on this one. I find this testing very interesting. Just at a glance I know that I would follow along with JRod on questioning this aids effectiveness. Great job so far guys!

The PureShot driver was on the table when I got home from my round yesterday evening. I took some photos of the club and I am taking it to the range on my lunch break to.give it some swings, I am honored to be doing this testing even though I am a little skeptical of it just like everyone else. Cant wait to post my thoughts and answer your questions. I am enjoying everyone elses thoughts on this so far, great job everyone!

Edit: oh yeah, and I recently figured out how to post videos on here so everyone watch out, I might go a little crazy with that lol

Then here in lies the big question. Why not just use your regular driver with impact tape? Feedback is still there of course and in my testing, the difference in weight, shaft flex and overall feel of the Pure Shot compared to my driver was pretty substantial. It has not led to anything but further misses for me.

Im glad that some are seeing some nice things out of it. That is the goal of course. Keep up the great work guys, looking forward to hearing more about it.

This is my biggest concern. Hitting this thing well does not equate to hitting my gamer well. They are two COMPLETELY different clubs.

That is a good question. I guess some people out there just need real feed back. (I don't know if that is the best way to say it.) I know you can get feedback from the tape, but I think this driver gives you off shots as feedback. I know the specs of the driver are different than your driver. (That is the same with me) I think that could cause some problems. Maybe even some different results, this could be a problem with it. I am not really sure how this is going to work out for me. I hope I get out to the range to day, we have a steady down pour going on right now! Maybe I can find some mats to hit off after work.

After sleeping on this one, I think some of the comments JRod made may be right. Is this aid suited for someone more like myself (higher HC)? Sure I know what a miss hit feels like, maybe not as much to the extent that a more solid player might, but at that point, JRod's concern about the likeness of my game club would come into question. I work hard with my driver, and even try to dedicate a practice session a week to it. Swapping back and forth between 2 pieces of equipment may, in the end hurt more than it helps?!?!?

Maybe it's that simple?

That's my gut feeling and how I'm approaching it. I feel, at least for me this is how it will be best utilized.

Playing in a big scramble today, and going to hit the Pure Shot on the range before. Will write up about the round after!

That's my gut feeling and how I'm approaching it. I feel, at least for me this is how it will be best utilized.

Honest question here my friend;

What happens with you take this thing to the range before your round and you are just barely missing, but you see the ball spraying everywhere. Is this going to have a negative impact when you step up to the first tee and youre thinking to yourself... "I just had the worst range session ever" when in reality it might not have even been that bad?

What happens with you take this thing to the range before your round and you are just barely missing, but you see the ball spraying everywhere. Is this going to have a negative impact when you step up to the first tee and youre thinking to yourself... "I just had the worst range session ever" when in reality it might not have even been that bad?

OH, I GOTTA GO WITH JROD ON THIS! BAD IDEA MY FRIEND!!!! I think this is an aid for your own personal practice times, I suggest this thing stays at the house today! This may put SO MUCH into your head that you may not recover!

I don't think I would use it right before a round. I think I would just use it as a go to source, when my driver is struggling. I relate this club to the Tour Striker. I love the Tour Striker, but hardly ever use it anymore. I like to keep it around when I need to work on hitting down on the ball more, but I would never use it to warm up for a round. I think the Pure Shot falls in this category of a training aid.

Finally was able to get caught up and watch the videos. It's definitely interesting looking. Lots of good points in here, especially those about practicing with a driver that isn't your own.

WOW! When you get a chance to hit with the tape on before using the Pureshot, I look forward to seeing the before and after's of using it. Using the tape on the face was a pretty good idea after switching back to your driver.

Maybe to see if/how it works, 5 shots normal driver with tape, 10 shots with pure shot or until you get in the groove of hitting the middle, then 5 more shots with the tape and see if there is a difference?

The tape is a great idea. I wouldn't have even thought about it but I guess that's the only way, besides feel, to know if you are hitting it flush.

I hit the range up before work today and gave this thing a try. To my delight there wasn't anyone else there so I didn't feel too bad before I started swinging. I was in jeans and tennis shoes, so it's not entirely accurate, since I normally don't wear jeans on the course and wear golf shoes, but it was the best way for me to do it before I went to work this morning. I haven't been playing as much as I normally do so I knew I'd be a little rusty, but wow, I was spraying it all over the place with this thing. Sorry I was by myself, so no pics or videos, hopefully I can get my wife to go with me the next time and video tape from behind.

With the first swing it was a huge push slice and went almost straight right. I knew I wasn't the greatest ball striker in the world, but wow, I must really suck!!! I'm going to get some impact tape and use it on my real driver first the next time and then go with the pureshot. After a few swings I got one or two decent shots, but overall I couldn't get the ball straight at all. I can say that this aid does what it's supposed to, it let's you know when you don't hit the sweet spot, but I can say I feel less confident now than I have in quite some time.

After I took a short break for a drink, gatorade, I told myself I'd start swinging very short and just try to get the ball on the sweet spot, I felt like I was making good contact, obvioulsy distance wasn't that good, but as I started to swing longer and faster I started spraying it again. The only time I got a pretty decent contact and distance it felt like more of a stinger swing and kept the ball real low.

My one worry with this aid is I feel like I'm going to have to change my entire swing in order to get better contact, I like my swing right now and feel fairly confident with it, so I'll be curious to see how I play a round after using this a few times on the range.

Just getting caught up on this new test.

A couple of questions for the testers:

1. It appears and I know it was mentioned as an aid, so is it just that...a training aid? So this is not a club you would game on the course and it's not conforming to do so?

2. Maybe I missed it, but what is the price on it?

Before reading any of the reviews and just looking at the club, I'm with Jrod, it is obnoxious looking.

Looking forward to reading more from the reviewers.

Just getting caught up on this new test.

A couple of questions for the testers:

1. It appears and I know it was mentioned as an aid, so is it just that...a training aid? So this is not a club you would game on the course and it's not conforming to do so?

2. Maybe I missed it, but what is the price on it?

Before reading any of the reviews and just looking at the club, I'm with Jrod, it is obnoxious looking.

Looking forward to reading more from the reviewers.

It's just an aid Biggsy and I blieve the MSRP is 150$.

It's just an aid Biggsy and I blieve the MSRP is 150$.
+1, it is just an aid. I don't know for sure on price. But the yellow color is actually growing on me a bit, it made me focus more while swinging. Kind of like the white does for me on my woods. It's out of the ordinary and makes me take notice.

Test Date: 9-23-2011
Product: Pure Shot Driver
Conditions: It was a sunny afternoon with a saturated ground. Hit has rained for the past two days.

The rain finally let up today after lunch and I was able to get out to the range. I have been really excited to put the Pure Shot driver to work and see what results I would gain. I took a really long video of both using the Pure Shot and going back to my normal driver. I did not struggle with the Pure Shot as much as I thought I was. I have been hitting my driver really great lately and it showed with the Pure Shot. If I did not hit the sweet spot I was very close to it. It really didn't affect the ball as I expected too. I felt good when there was only one other person on the range, but I could have hit it with many others on the range too. Here are just a few thoughts about the club before the video.

Looks: I didn't think it was really that intimidating from the address angle. I was a bit nervous on the first shot, but after that one it didn't bother me at all. I really like the alignment aid on the top. It helped set my mind into a thought of the correct swing path. I thought that was nice. I don't know if it is the best looking driver in the world, but it works. I think I would play with a rock on the end of a stick, if it would put me in the middle of the fairway at 250 a 100% of the time.

Sound: You could tell a difference from when you hit the sweet spot compared to the other parts of the face. It has a nice ting when you hit the sweet spot. You will be able to notice it in the video.

Feel: I thought the swing weight was not way off. I think my Razar Hawk has a little bit less head weight, but that is about it. You could tell where on the face that the ball hit. You could definitely tell when you hit the sweet spot compared to off hits.

Performance: When you hit the sweet spot you really knew it. It would just rocket the ball down the range. It had a bit of spring in the face of the driver. I would like to get a high speed camera to see what happens to the convex face during impact. I wonder if it flattens out.

Here is the video:

Final thoughts:

I think this is a good training aid. It does tell you when you miss the sweet spot and when you hit it. Now does it help you with your own driver and can you do these things with out the Pure Shot. First off you can use impact tape to tell you where you hit the ball on your driver. It doesn't give you the sudden results like the Pure Shot, but you can look at the tape and see where you hit it. The Pure Shot does a better job here, giving you over exaggerated ball flights. I think when using impact tape on your regular driver, these results can be masked by forgiveness in a driver. I am not really sure how much it helped me when I went back to my regular driver. I think the one thing is that it made me focus a little bit more and that helped me hit the sweet spot on my driver more. I don't know if this would go to the course though. You have so much time and shots in between to alter this focus.

I really feel like this driver relates my older driver the R11. The R11 was very unforgiving when you didn't hit the sweet spot and was awesome when you hit it on the screws. The Pure Shot training aid is very similar to that and can give you exaggerated ball flights help you adjust to hitting the sweet spot. One of the biggest things I did see after I turned off the camera. I kept banging balls away and got really tired. When this happened I could only hit the sweet spot 1 out of every 4 balls. It made it really hard this is why I think it relates to the R11 driver so much. That is when my biggest struggles happened with that driver. Mostly on the back nines when I was tired.

Last edited:
Day two of usage. Same drill as yesterday. Range time with the Pure Shot for about half a bucket (less than yesterday) followed by driver for several swings. After hitting the ball better with the Pure Shot than I did yesterday, I hit 3-4 drives on the screws. My misses were pulls left today with the Pure Shot. Sure enough, when we went out on the course I missed my first drive left in the junk. After that however it was a different story. Improvement continued from yesterday as we ended up using most of my drives off the tee, several of which absolutely went 300 or close to it. Nearly drove a par 4 and got my team on two par 5's in two after a great drive set us up. After the first drive nearly every drive was struck on or almost on the screws. This is becoming a huge difference maker for me with my control and contact, and I'm really starting to attack the ball off the tee. Will post a video on Sunday night of ball flight and range time. Hit em' straight everyone!

Back