Srixon US Open Contest [Spoilers]

This is a ridiculous day from Rory. Absolutely nuts.

Hope he keeps it up and grabs some more birdies on the back 9. Second player in history to get to - double figures too.

Hole 9 - par 5 - 636 yards (but tees are 40 yards up) - playing at 595

Rory - big driver - left side of FW (may be able to reach in 2) - 360 YARD DRIVE
Phil - driver - barely trickles off FW and on short cut of rough
DJ - driver - left rough

Waiting for green to clear before 2nd shots.

Phil - 257 to green - FW wood went way left other side of trees to chipping area for other hole
Rory - 236 to green - FW wood - bunker right
DJ - did not show - thinking he laid up out of rough. 3rd shot hit to 7 feet short of pin for a birdie putt.

Phil - 3rd shot - wedge to 12 feet for birdie.
Rory - great lie in bunker - up slope - pitches it heavy and leaves it plus 20 feet short

Rory - runs 17 footer past hole about 4 feet. Tricky par putt coming back. Makes par
Phil - 12 foot for birdie missed. Tap in par.
DJ - makes birdie

After 9:

Rory - 10 under
Phil - even
DJ - 5 over

Hope he keeps it up and grabs some more birdies on the back 9. Second player in history to get to - double figures too.

Actually there is a handful of players to get to double digits. Eldrick, Gil Morgan and Furyk I remember. There was a list earlier. I think there were 2 other names.

Rory did it fastest, 26 holes.

EDIT: Ricky Barnes was the other.

Thanks a whole lot for the updates MC! Its nice to be able to keep up with the scores at work. Looks like Mcilroy is tearing it up again

Actually there is a handful of players to get to double digits. Eldrick, Gil Morgan and Furyk I remember. There was a list earlier. I think there were 2 other names.

Rory did it fastest, 26 holes.

EDIT: Ricky Barnes was the other.

I stand corrected, I was only going of what the SKY coverage said. Guess they were wrong

Hole 10 - par 3 - 221 yards (enormous gallery - absolutely insane). Fans on top of clubhouse.

DJ - to 30 feet for birdie putt
Rory - barely gets on green...he was worried...tad fat...long birdie putt
Phil - 25 or 30 feet for birdie

Rory - solid 2 putt for par
Phil - solid 2 putt par
DJ - barely misses birdie - makes par

I stand corrected, I was only going of what the SKY coverage said. Guess they were wrong

Sounds like SKY was just getting excited!

I had forgotten about Barnes, but I knew the others. I remember when Morgan did it, he collapsed right after.

Hole 10 - par 3 - 221 yards (enormous gallery - absolutely insane). Fans on top of clubhouse.

DJ - to 30 feet for birdie putt
Rory - barely gets on green...he was worried...tad fat...long birdie putt
Phil - 25 or 30 feet for birdie

I wonder what that would have done to his mind had it gone in the water.

Sounds like SKY was just getting excited!

I had forgotten about Barnes, but I knew the others. I remember when Morgan did it, he collapsed right after.

Online coverage just said Rory is fastest to double-digits (26 holes).

EDIT: My bad. Small already posted this.

I feel bad for saying this because I love their standard performance polos, but UA is getting some really gaudy shirts in their golf lineup.. And it's starting to bother me.

Mahan looks a lot like a skinny Charley Hoffman with the hair and the flat bill.

Rory is absolutely going off. I found myself hoping he would come back to the field in the Masters. After that debacle, I hope he laps the field in this one.

I'm going to venture a guess that Rory gives a couple back on this back 9 today, I say he ends the day at -8. Still going to be some 4 in front though.

Hole 11 - par 4

DJ - driver - left rough
Rory - driver - middle FW
Phil - driver - left FW

Phil - hits 2nd into left bunker
DJ - short left of green
Rory - into the left bunker greenside

DJ - great chip up to 2 feet
Rory - 10 or 12 footer left for par
Phil - not a very good shot from the bunker - 15 plus for par (tricky sand shot because of ridge on green)

DJ - makes par
Phil - 2 putts for bogey
Rory - great putt to save par

Got a work call to hop on so next few updates may be intermittent. Sorry!!

Last edited:
I'm going to venture a guess that Rory gives a couple back on this back 9 today, I say he ends the day at -8. Still going to be some 4 in front though.

I think he may gain some more rather than give some back

am I watching the travelers in hartford or the us open, i can't tell with these scores (no i am not happy, and yes it's because i'm probably going to lose a bet)

Hole 11 - par 4

DJ - driver - left rough
Rory - driver - middle FW
Phil - driver - left FW

phil hit that 2 iron i thought?

I think he may gain some more rather than give some back

I agree. Not many, maybe 1 or 2 on the tougher back nine. I hope so anyway.

Who is the lady covering the mickelson rory DJ group? She's awful

--
tapatalk

I agree. Not many, maybe 1 or 2 on the tougher back nine. I hope so anyway.

I think 1 or 2 will be plenty, will leave him with a nice lead going into the weekend

am I watching the travelers in hartford or the us open, i can't tell with these scores (no i am not happy, and yes it's because i'm probably going to lose a bet)

hahaha, it's panning out exactly the way I thought it might, with one person clearing themselves from the pack.

Back