Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow Review

I had been using the srixon Z for about a year now. It isn't TOP LEVEL TOUR spin but it's really good. (Not quite as good as Pro V1 but WAY better than NXT Tour.) Durability is a huge plus, i'm using 1 ball for every 3 Taylormade or Titleist before. Plus it's starting price is 5 bucks less than the pro v1.
As for the yellow I didn't care for it at first. I thought it was a gimmick to try and get more people to try there ball. When I finally tried the yellow version I was pleasently surprised. I played it with my normal thursday group, where the average age of the 3 I play with is about 58. As a former caddie I am the official ball spotter for the group. That day they were tracking my ball all the way to its destination. It was nice to know that I had 3 other sets of eyes tracking my ball now.

Are people still having problems with finding the yellow z-stars?

My local stores are stocked full and I would be happy to share the love if people need it!
I have finally decided that I can spring for "premium balls" for two reasons
#1- JOB
#2- 2 of the past 3 rounds I finished with the same ball I started with.

Yellow Z-star is my first stop on the premium train... followed by the Bridgestone RX. I only wish I could find some reasonably priced 3 ball sleeves.

I really like the Z-Stars spin characteristics over last years B330RX.
I know there are new B330RX's this year...Did they upgrade the Z-Star as well?? (besides the color of course..)

I really like the Z-Stars spin characteristics over last years B330RX.
I know there are new B330RX's this year...Did they upgrade the Z-Star as well?? (besides the color of course..)

No. Srixon is a Fall release company if they are planning on doing anything.

I agree with you on the spin. It is way better than my current ball, the NXT Tour, But not quite up to par with balls like the Penta.
I had been using the srixon Z for about a year now. It isn't TOP LEVEL TOUR spin but it's really good. (Not quite as good as Pro V1 but WAY better than NXT Tour.) Durability is a huge plus, i'm using 1 ball for every 3 Taylormade or Titleist before. Plus it's starting price is 5 bucks less than the pro v1.
As for the yellow I didn't care for it at first. I thought it was a gimmick to try and get more people to try there ball. When I finally tried the yellow version I was pleasently surprised. I played it with my normal thursday group, where the average age of the 3 I play with is about 58. As a former caddie I am the official ball spotter for the group. That day they were tracking my ball all the way to its destination. It was nice to know that I had 3 other sets of eyes tracking my ball now.

I agree with you on the spin. It is way better than my current ball, the NXT Tour, But not quite up to par with balls like the Penta.

According to the GD Ball spin test chart, it is right there with the spin of all the tour level balls. In fact it is higher than the Penta and just under the Pro V1. I found them as spinny as any other we have tried.

Im not a firm believer in Hot Lists from GD, but it is a source of info I guess.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart

According to the GD Ball spin test chart, it is right there with the spin of all the tour level balls. In fact it is higher than the Penta and just under the Pro V1. I found them as spinny as any other we have tried.

Im not a firm believer in Hot Lists from GD, but it is a source of info I guess.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart

Yeah I consulted that list too. Couple of months ago I used it look for a new ball. Even though I still ended up with the srixon I was nice to actualy see real "data" on a chart. Be nice to see more data like that on other stuff for people who don't have access to a launch monitor and a ton of clubs to demo.

As for the Srixon spinning just as much as the pro-v1......maybe on a full wedge shot like the they did in the Golf digest test, but defintly not on half swing pitch shots. Doesn't matter still love the ball anyways. And I should have said "in my opinion" in my last post about the Srixon's spin charcteristics. I still spin the pro v1 more, but I don't take the cover off the srixon with my cleveland cg15.

Yeah I consulted that list too. Couple of months ago I used it look for a new ball. Even though I still ended up with the srixon I was nice to actualy see real "data" on a chart. Be nice to see more data like that on other stuff for people who don't have access to a launch monitor and a ton of clubs to demo.

As for the Srixon spinning just as much as the pro-v1......maybe on a full wedge shot like the they did in the Golf digest test, but defintly not on half swing pitch shots.

We are seeing different things with these. I am getting just as much even on chips. Not more, but definitely just as much. I am going to bring the monitor out to the range this weekend and try a little test with both balls on non-full swings.

We are seeing different things with these. I am getting just as much even on chips. Not more, but definitely just as much. I am going to bring the monitor out to the range this weekend and try a little test with both balls on non-full swings.

I would be very interested to hear your results. For me the durability of the srixon was a huge selling point that overcame any "perceived" loss in spin.
edit: any chance you can include the bridgestone b330-s also? Very good ball as well. There is a poll on what ball are you using in another thread and it was very interesting to see the amount of srixon and bridgestone users out there.

JB,
how does the Z-Star compare to the FG Tour?

I just want to chime in and say I love this ball. I'm out of them, but when I get some money, I'm getting more! Gotta use up my white balls now I guess. haha.

When I first read this tread I was skeptical since I have played Srixon balls in the past and did not care very much for them. But I wanted to try the ZStar because of its yellow color. I have had problems seeing the ball land on or around the green the last few years. So I tried it and have been rotating between this and my Taylor Made TP Black LDP and Penta. This ball is pretty much the same as each ball and I can see it all the time now as well. I love the feel around and on the green with this ball. It does not mark up like the Taylor Made does. In fact I just bought a dozen of the yellow and a dozen of the white just to see it the white plays the same as the yellow. I think Srizon has done a great job with this ball and the price is much more appealing that the other premium balls.

I find that for me on Chip shots and half wedge shots the Z-Star spins the same as the Prov1. I would say it performs as good or better than all of the pefomance balls I have played in the past.

I switched to Srixon! Tried out the Z-Star Yellow yesterday on a par 3 course, and this thing held the green as well as the Penta. SW and 49 Niblick shots were backing up 6 feet. Touch around the green is just as soft, the ball pretty much did what I wanted it to. A big plus for me is durability. A few scuffs and wedge marks, but no cutting like I get on the Penta. After 18 holes of wedge abuse, this thing could definetly be played for another few rounds. I also really like the yellow. Easy to spot in the air and when it lands. I dont know how the distance off the tee is compared to the Penta though, as I havent had a chance to compare driving/3wood distances yet. That will probably come on Tuesday. If it's as long as the Penta, it'll be staying in the bag.

Well done Srixon!

Quoting myself to bring my review up to date. Yes, for me they are as long as the penta. Both 3 wood and driver off the tee, the balls were sitting nearly next to eachother on the fairway. I played 9 holes with the srixon and TM today, the same z-star from the other day, and I'd say I can keep on playing with the same ball. Not nearly as abused-looking as the Penta would be after 18 holes of full wedge shots and 9 holes of course play. Another plus for me is the visibility. I can track this sucker all the way to touchdown. Twice it tried to run away from me and hide in the bushes off the tee, and twice I was able to spot it just walking up to the general area.

So anyway, I'll be picking up a dozen soon, and the Pentas will go in the shag bag for now...

On my good days, I really like the Z-Stars, yellow/white it doesn't matter :) Just whatever color the BF isn't using that day :D

anyone know the swing speed it takes to compress the z star and the penta? just figured id ask both in one thread instead of asking 2 threads.. thank you

anyone know the swing speed it takes to compress the z star and the penta? just figured id ask both in one thread instead of asking 2 threads.. thank you
Srixon's Website says the zstar is anywhere from 80-105 mph and the Z Star X is 105+.

Played a sleeve of the Z Star X Yellow on Sunday. One in the water, one OB one to my friend after the round. Loved the ball. I have been playing the Wilson Staff Zip for the last year, but don't think I can go back. When I played again on Thursday I tried to play the Zips, but couldn't help miss the yellows! Didn't think it would affect me this much this fast......CURSE YOU SRIXON!!!!!!!
Just bought a dozen more.

I played an X today, I have never seen a ball launch of the face of a driver like this one. I did have a nice feel around the green not the best I have played but one of them.

I love the yellow too!

Been playing the x's for a while now and love them!!

My first swing with a Srixon Z-Star Yellow...

My first swing with a Srixon Z-Star Yellow...

kept going, and going, and going... like the Energizer Bunny... it just kept flying along at tree top level... I kept thinking, "Ok, now it will start to come down... ok now... now... now? Ok, there it goes." It finally made its way back to earth... 25 yards past where I normally drive the ball and 15 yards past what is normally a "good" drive for me.

I only used it for a few holes at the end of a match since I was trying out a few others, but that one drive alone sold me. :clapp:

Which stinks since I was hoping to love the e5 so I could save a few bucks, haha.

merged this one with the Srixon Yellow Z-Star thread.

Hey JB which older model of the Z star is higher compression. You can get these for really cheap right now and I'd like to try some, but the z star felt really mushy. Is the Z Star X geared for higher Swing speeds? thanks.

Back