T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

Nice work with the Huey...Hawk and I'm glad to see the buzzard is out of you sig!!!

Huey is in the mail!

Sent via Tapatalk

Doh - no idea how I missed your final write up yesterday. Nice job man - interesting that your only change would be the grip. Since I have been playing the Super Stroke for the last 3 weeks it is hard to imagine going to something smaller. Interested to see how much of a difference it makes.

FYI - It is expected to be delivered by Friday, butters.

My final thoughts on the putter.....

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. I hadn't ever used an expensive milled type putter before, let alone a center shafted one. Recently I have learned that a center shaft was the way to go for me so, when the box arrived I couldn't have been more exited. I practiced almost everyday that I had it, even if it was just in the office.

The putter on appearance alone is a work of art. It was so simple yet elegant. The paint fill, the colors, etc are just perfect. The weight was perfect (it felt heavy & light all at the same time), and as I said in previous postings the black shaft is just awesome, really makes the look of the putter. I really would like to add one of those to my current putter as it would look awesome with the white head!

The few minor things I personally would want to change
1. The grip as IMO (and hawk's) it really was too small and to be honest the feel of it was a bit too smooth as well, as I like it to be a bit tackier. Also think a white or even gray grip would be sweet.
2. The headcover (while a work of art in itself) was a bit inconvenient as well, I am not a fan of the velcro.

Overall, performance wise I couldn't have been more pleased. It felt very balanced and it didn't want to twist or turn in your hands. I really liked the "click" you got off the face and the ball seemed to roll immediately and stay true. When you missed it a bit, you could tell, but weren't punished severely for it. On lag putts I was able to get within a makeable distance every time.

The ironic thing is I would never have considered trying this type of putter before this testing as I had it in my mind that a mallet putter with some sort of insert was the way to go. Blades just didn't have the feel or consistency in my mind. Boy was I wrong, this the perfect balance between a mallet and a blade. I was able to do some of my best putting with it this year. Overall a great experience and I was sad to see it go.

Thanks again to Craig & TP Mills for an amazing opportunity.

p.s. Timmyak should have it today!

Cool! I will be on the lookout.

Rain is now forcast for some of the weekend but I am still hoping to make it out on the course for some testing.

FYI - It is expected to be delivered by Friday, butters.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, jdtox. Sounds like we have some similar feelings about the putter!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, jdtox. Sounds like we have some similar feelings about the putter!

Yes we did. weird. I tried the most honest review I could.

Yes we did. weird. I tried the most honest review I could.

Absolutely. Not surprising that we saw some similarities at all.

Hawk, jd, excellent write ups fella's. I really did enjoy following along (Mills homer or not!) alot.

I received the putter from jdtox yesterday. After unboxing it and just feeling it out the pictures don't do this thing justice. The size of the head and the feel just make it an amazing putter to feel in your hands. I love the look of the black shaft as it totally allows you to focus on the head and alignment. After using a center shafted putter before this setup is not foreign to me so adjusting back to it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm hoping to get a round in this weekend. If not, Monday will be the first time I can use it on the course and will have a full review.

Got the putter from Hawk yesterday. Have not had a chance to open the box but will do that tonight and take some photos.

Glad to hear it arrived :)

Well I finally was able to open the box today and use the Huey for the first time. It was a pretty wet out today which affected my first round with it. First off I got a late start and got to the course just a few minutes before our tee time so I did not have a chance to hit any practice putts. The first few holes it took me some getting use to the length of the putter. I am a pretty short guy and usually use a 33" putter and this one is 35". So I choked down a good deal on it. The feel was great but I was having some issues pushing the ball right. I was able to correct this by the end of the round. I had issues with speed but that today was more a result of the wet greens. Also our greens are finally starting to come back after the issues they had this spring/summer.

Overall I ended up with 37 putts. Had two three putts. I was just too far from the hole in a few situations today. I am excited too get out tomorrow to test it out again. Today was a great "get to know you" round.

Got round 2 under the belt with the putter. 29 putts. I am starting to get use to it. This is my first center shafted putter. I kept trying to line it up and hit it like a heel shafted putter and was hitting a lot of putts off the toe. I am still having some speed issues but that is a combination of the greens, first time using a forged putter, and the length of the putter. The one aspect of the putter I am not of fan of right now is the grip. I wish it was just a little thicker and maybe shaped differently. More like the Est79 TM-110 I currently own. I can't wait to use it again this week. I have a tournament Sunday so hopefully it will help me.

Thanks for the updates, butters.

I agree about the grip. It looks incredible, but I just prefer a little larger grip.

I really love the putter so far. I also like that my name is on it, haha. When I run away with the putter I am just going to say "Look, my name is David Mills and it is all over the putter" haha.

Thanks for the updates, butters.

I agree about the grip. It looks incredible, but I just prefer a little larger grip.

You know, I had to do a double take when craig gave me your address. I couldn't figure out why I had to send it back the company haha.

Do you think your speed control issue could have anything to do with the lack of an insert?

I believe the lack of insert does contribute to it. It is my first putter without one. It feels completely different than what I have ever used. It is taking some time to get use to it but I think I really like not having the insert.

You know, I had to do a double take when craig gave me your address. I couldn't figure out why I had to send it back the company haha.

Do you think your speed control issue could have anything to do with the lack of an insert?

Some great reads Hawk! I have always loved the look of the Huey

I was finally able to use this thing on Monday for a my 9 hole league. Used it for all 9 holes and here's my honest review of the putter.

I got to the course a little early so I went over to the putting green to roll some putts with it. After first hitting it I knew the speed control was gonna take a little getting used to, but after a couple putts I noticed that it was still difficult to get used to. I have always played with an insert on my putters so the feel was very different.
I'm not a big fan of this being a center shafted putter. I used to play a Two Ball CS and felt that the Huey compared to that one was a bit difficult to set up and keep online throughout the stroke. The swing weight of this one is a bit too light for my liking as well. Overall the weight of the putter is good, but it seems that not enough of it is in the putter head. On long lag putts I felt that I needed to really try and kill the ball in order to get it to the hole.
Overall i feel that this putter is average compared to other putters I have used. The Odysseys and Zebras that I have used for years which are a third of the price I feel have suited my putting style much better. Putting is one of my strong points of my game and the Huey isn't doing anything spectacular to improve my putting and make me want to switch. I will probably take it for one more run this weekend and switch between it and my #9 before sending it on to the next reviewer.

what happened to timmyak?

Back