TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

Anyone tried the SW yet?

Are there any guys out there who have been lucky enough to hit the 11s who are blade users.

I know they are a different animal to each other but just wondered how they compared feel wise.

sent using Tapatalk for Android

Two more rounds on the course with the r11 and wow, I'm blown away more each day!

Had 195 to the center of a par3, wind was a little in my face and I pulled the 4 iron. ( I've pulled all hybrids from the bag, and I can't be mor happy with the 4 iron)

I struck it pure- off a tee; it hit the backside of the green and bounced off the green. Carry was 210... That's crazy talk for anyone who's seen me on the course. I'm not super long at all but I strike the ball ok at times.

Had 190 to the center of a par5, I've never had so many chances at par 5 in two lately... Anyways I hit a decent 5 iron from the rough, it wasn't as high as I'm used too lately so I think I struck it a little thin? Or the tough took some height off it...it landed front of the green and rolled to the back, chipped up for eagle and tapped in birdie.

Also had a 166 approach on a par 4 I hit wayward. From some thick rough I hit a 8 iron (for more height to clear a tree) and normally I'd hit a 7 iron, but I was starting to learn what was 1/2 a club in Florida is a FULL club in Ohio. I hit the ball near perfectly and it hit the GIR stopping about 6 feet from the pin!!! Freaking unreal how these irons are changing my game.

Taylormade, seriously, this is the best piece of equipment to come out in years. I cannot say enough about them. With all I've hit this year, this is a strong statement!!

Can't thank Taylormade enough for the sponsorship at the Morgan Cup. I am honored to game these and be part of the handful of guys currently gaming them and reviewing them prior to release.

I was very impressed after my first range session, but as I grow into a more comfortable rapport with these, they increasingly become better and better!!

Only R11!!!

Two more rounds on the course with the r11 and wow, I'm blown away more each day!

Had 195 to the center of a par3, wind was a little in my face and I pulled the 4 iron. ( I've pulled all hybrids from the bag, and I can't be mor happy with the 4 iron)

I struck it pure- off a tee; it hit the backside of the green and bounced off the green. Carry was 210... That's crazy talk for anyone who's seen me on the course. I'm not super long at all but I strike the ball ok at times.

Had 190 to the center of a par5, I've never had so many chances at par 5 in two lately... Anyways I hit a decent 5 iron from the rough, it wasn't as high as I'm used too lately so I think I struck it a little thin? Or the tough took some height off it...it landed front of the green and rolled to the back, chipped up for eagle and tapped in birdie.

Also had a 166 approach on a par 4 I hit wayward. From some thick rough I hit a 8 iron (for more height to clear a tree) and normally I'd hit a 7 iron, but I was starting to learn what was 1/2 a club in Florida is a FULL club in Ohio. I hit the ball near perfectly and it hit the GIR stopping about 6 feet from the pin!!! Freaking unreal how these irons are changing my game.

Taylormade, seriously, this is the best piece of equipment to come out in years. I cannot say enough about them. With all I've hit this year, this is a strong statement!!

Can't thank Taylormade enough for the sponsorship at the Morgan Cup. I am honored to game these and be part of the handful of guys currently gaming them and reviewing them prior to release.

I was very impressed after my first range session, but as I grow into a more comfortable rapport with these, they increasingly become better and better!!

Only R11!!!

WOW, that is a serious endorsement from a guy who's been experimenting with a lot of different stuff. You've pushed my pondering up at least another level, maybe two!!! I must hit these soon.

Good stuff cg, I'm seeing a lot of the same things you are.

Has anyone who played these in the Morgan Cup have all 3 wedges, PW, AW & SW? Just wondered what the SW was like as there have been lots of good comments about the AW.

I am considering getting 5-SW including AW to replace my Ping i3s and the 25* hybrid, only goes slightly further than my 5i, that are currently in my bag.

Has anyone who played these in the Morgan Cup have all 3 wedges, PW, AW & SW? Just wondered what the SW was like as there have been lots of good comments about the AW.

I am considering getting 5-SW including AW to replace my Ping i3s and the 25* hybrid, only goes slightly further than my 5i, that are currently in my bag.

Gillesam - I don't believe any of the Morgan Cup guys who chose the R11s selected the matching SW. I'm sure it would be fine, particularly if you are used to using the matching SW, like it appears you are with your i3s.

I don't think that any of the Morgan Cup players had the SW from the R11 irons in their bag, but as some have already discussed, a few of us had the AW in our bags. I'm one of those that had the AW in my bag, because I mainly use that club for full shots, so it works better for me from the fairway than a comparable 50 degree wedge (ex. XFT) would have, but others feel differently.

Don't look anywhere as good as the Tour Preferred MB irons, they are a great looking club.

Man those are awesome pictures ary, thanks for that. Saw you hit some really nice shots with these sticks on the range.

hahaha :) Man this thread has me thinking. Put another iron on the contender list.

I have not gamed the CB's but I did hit them a couple of times. I felt like the R11s had a similar dispersion to the CBs, but had the distance and forgiveness closer to the Burner 2.0s. The feel of the the R11s was not as harsh as the CBs, but not as dead as the Burner 2.0s. There is slightly more offset on the R11s than the CBs, but less on the R11s than the Burner 2.0s.

Both from what I saw personally as well as the discussions we had with Charlie from TaylorMade, the R11s seem to be an engineered cross between the CBs and the Burner 2.0s with completely re-engineered grooves. The R11s seemed to generate a lot more backspin to me than either the Burner 2.0s or the CBs, but I don't have launch monitor numbers to back that up.

Looks - R11s have the more traditional single tone chrome finish like the CBs, unlike the two tone finish of the Burner 2.0s. The toplines of the R11s seem to be thicker than the CBs, thinner to similar as the Burner 2.0s. The weight port obviously mirrors the CBs engineering, but it is not something I ever noticed at address. Soles seem to be more similar width to the CBs while the Burner 2.0s have a thicker sole.

Distance - On a launch monitor a couple months ago, the Burner 2.0s were 10-15 yards longer than the CBs with similar launch angles for the same iron number. Granted the Burners have stronger lofts. The R11s for the same iron number are within 5 yards of the Burner 2.0s based on the first three rounds I've played with them. Where the R11's really win for me is distance consistency. Several guys I talked to at the Morgan Cup shared the opinion. For example, with the Burner 2.0s, I would hit a 9-iron 130 yards probably 80% of the time. 10-20% of the time it would just jump and go 150. I've never flown over more greens than I have in the 10 months I played the Burner 2.0s. In the first three rounds with the R11s, I was hitting the 9-iron 125 yards or so every time...no nuked outliers.

Preferences will obviously vary, but I am very impressed with these irons and didn't experience anything that encouraged me to consider putting the Burner 2.0s back in the bag.

Great write up ad! You were extremely consistant with these during our rounds. Man.....

Don't look anywhere as good as the Tour Preferred MB irons, they are a great looking club.

True, but these are completely different irons too, no? I would always expect a "blade" iron to be cleaner and sleeker looking.

these irons are really nice looking in person. From the pics I thought they were ok, I didn't like the red weight on the back. In person they were just stunning.

Good point TC and I echo those sentiments like a cheerleader for the Cowboys cheering another Romo TD. I agree ddec, these are much better looking in person. TMex, I hit the R11 6 iron again yesterday and to be honest Im about 3 transactions away from making it rain R11 irons.

Good point TC and I echo those sentiments like a cheerleader for the Cowboys cheering another Romo TD. I agree ddec, these are much better looking in person. TMex, I hit the R11 6 iron again yesterday and to be honest Im about 3 transactions away from making it rain R11 irons.

wondering what the hold up is? I've never seen OEM wait a whole 3 transactions.
Although in OEM land 3 transactions takes about 2 hours to get done.

wondering what the hold up is? I've never seen OEM wait a whole 3 transactions.
Although in OEM land 3 transactions takes about 2 hours to get done.

Every time I go to the range or play I hit the RXT's so well, thats honestly some of the hold up but I want to get a little more feedback too. And Id love to find them outdoors to see actual ball flight. Distance was pretty close yesterday between the two. Feel I was leaning towards the R11, they felt awesome.

Every time I go to the range or play I hit the RXT's so well, thats honestly some of the hold up but I want to get a little more feedback too. And Id love to find them outdoors to see actual ball flight. Distance was pretty close yesterday between the two. Feel I was leaning towards the R11, they felt awesome.

I will be the guy to ask then. You hit the RXTs well.
What is the draw to change? What do you hope to accomplish with the change?

I am OEM, it's what I do.
I thought he hit the RXTs well too

I think it's simple: a little more forgiveness. The RXT's are great irons for sure, but there's something so right about the R11's. I'm telling you, when I hit the breeze's at Grand Cypress, I was shocked at the results based on where I was hitting the ball on the club face.

I think it's simple: a little more forgiveness.

I must be the odd guy out then. I really like the R11s, but having hit them side by side, I just dont see the extra forgiveness between the two that you two are. Oh well. Wish I did though.

I think it's simple: a little more forgiveness. I was shocked at the results based on where I was hitting the ball on the club face.

TC - how would you rate the forgiveness versus your Burner 2s?

I must be the odd guy out then. I really like the R11s, but having hit them side by side, I just dont see the extra forgiveness between the two that you two are. Oh well. Wish I did though.

I'm not taking the RXT's out of the bag bro. I'm just pointing out a few things that Kmac and I have discussed.

TC - how would you rate the forgiveness versus your Burner 2s?

I honestly haven't had enough time with them. I think I literally hit half a dozen balls with his irons.

I am pretty sure that these will be in my bag pretty soon. I hate that I have to relearn my distances, but I love the forgiveness.

I think the R11's have a little more offset, seem like they have a slightly larger head and I just want them. Simple need to OEM them.

I think the R11's have a little more offset, seem like they have a slightly larger head and I just want them. Simple need to OEM them.

We understand bro. It's just what you do. Are you keeping the RXT's?

Back