TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has the full details of the new TaylorMade R1 driver release. Click the link below to read about the driver in full and scroll down to see in hand pictures of the club.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=18515

DSC_4133-L.jpg

DSC_4130-L.jpg

DSC_4136-L.jpg

DSC_4148-L.jpg

DSC_4151-L.jpg

DSC_4157-L.jpg

DSC_4166-L.jpg

DSC_4173-L.jpg

Call me a madman. I like the graphics.

Damn, JB is burning the midnight oil on this one. As for the stick, eh, I think Taylor-Made has outdone themselves, again. By outdoing themselves, I think they may have went a bit far with the graphics and the fact the sole has a gigantic compass on it.

That didn't take you long. I'm surprised they went with the Phenom shaft again. I can't stand the looks of it, but I have no doubt it will be a straight up cannon. I really like the headcover... alot.

I saw this in the back room of Dicks when I was getting my big trusty rusty setup. She looks nice I'm going to give it a few swings after wirk

"North is just left of that tree past the green"

"Wish I could look but these crown graphics are too distracting"

"I'll look at the crown graphics when I figure out how this crazy adjustable hosel works"

"I like my R11S better."

Not digging the graphics on that. The sole looks surprisingly decent to me even as compass-like as it is. I'd definitely hit it, though if I liked it I would have to paint it for sure.

Graphics are growing on me, but I will reserve further judgement until I see it behind the ball.

Maybe it is Tapatalk, maybe it isn't?!?!

The compass doesn't bother me a bit, the very last thing I think about when buying a driver is how the sole looks. The graphics i could certainly do without.

I love my Taylormade drivers, but this looks like dog's ass.

Hell, the dang Adams hybrids have changed my mind a bit on the damn graphics. I'd really like to hit this one, it'd all hinge on the sound for me though.

I love my Taylormade drivers, but this looks like dog's ass.

Whoa, nelly. We're getting technical up in here. LOL. Might be the first time I have ever heard of a club looking like a dogs back side. Funny though.

Hell, the dang Adams hybrids have changed my mind a bit on the damn graphics. I'd really like to hit this one, it'd all hinge on the sound for me though.

TM drivers aren't as obnoxious sounding as some. I don't mind the sound of my buddies RBZ (not familiar with the R11 or R11s though). However, TM makes up for lack of obnoxious sound, with obnoxious looks. Their drivers just don't do it for me. Never have.

I like the adjustability from 8* all the way up to 12*. The crown graphics look good to me too. I like this.

Poop. That's what it looks like. Terrible design and paint scheme to me. I am sure the club performs but I couldn't swing that knowing what a jackass I must look like. Way to busy and flashy for my taste. But I guess if you like to hike as well as golf this is the club for you.

What if this one sounds close to as good as the SuperTri?

What if this one sounds close to as good as the SuperTri?

I'd be one of the happiest people on the planet. That was THE last good sounding TM driver, I don't care what anyone says.

I'd like to hit it, I mean, why not?

I'd hit it. I just don't see me buying it. I hate bagging on Taylor-Made, because I do genuinely like them, but man, I just ain't feeling anything they are putting out this year.

R1 is equipped with Aldila RIP Phenom 55-gram shaft, which is ultra-light to promote faster clubhead speed, yet strategically weighted to deliver the feel of a heavier, 65-gram shaft.

The heavier feeling shaft intrigues me, I can't stand the superlight feel of some drivers, I lose all sense of where the club is in my backswing. I prefer a meatier feeling swingweight

Is the face as deep as it looks?

The heavier feeling shaft intrigues me, I can't stand the superlight feel of some drivers, I lose all sense of where the club is in my backswing. I prefer a meatier feeling swingweight[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well swing weight doesn't have anything to do with club weight.

The heavier feeling shaft sounds like what Ping did with the G20

I like the looks of this way more than I thought I would

I actually like it too. It looks like they fancied up the graphics and made the adjustability easier for guys like me to understand. I don't want a driver I have to use an owners manual to operate.

Hate the topline, like the headcover, don't care about anything else really. Doesn't mean anything if it's a beast off the tee though -- Can't wait to see how it fares.

Love the color scheme (it's got my Cincinnati Bengals colors), especially the shaft & headcover. Head shape looks to be identical to R11S, but I'm hopeful they fixed the sound. Definitely can't wait until March/April for the big outdoor demo day here so I can test this out to see how it performs against my Cleveland Classic.

I'm really not a fan of the previous Aldila RIP shafts I've swung and I hope this shaft is better than the one in the R11s. The look stirs up very little emotion for me either good or bad.

I love how it is so adjustable, and having 1 head for every loft is a move that I hope is copied by other manufacturers (Cobra already does this too?). Being able to adjust loft independent of lie and face angle is great as well.

I find it interesting that after reading this morning that the Ping G25 is moving the center of gravity further back, the R1 is moving it further forward.

Back