TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

Crown graphics are cool, but not for the crown, and that looks like a compass on the sole...haha...i do not know about Taylor Made with all their busy clubs. I know a lot of people love them and play them but the R11 I heard so many people complain about heads snapping off!

I like the adjustability features but I am not sure about the graphics. But then It took awhile before I like the ghost driver. I can't wait to see how it improves over the R11s as far as distance and forgiveness.

I can't stand the graphics on the crown - and I'm no traditionalist. Would it bother me if I could get good consistent results? Nah, probably not. All things being equal though ... wow. As for the adjustability - I think TM solidifies their lead in the driver market with this offering. (and the RBZs2.) I can't think of another driver that offers this much adjustability to fit your game. Weight ports seem so long ago, right?

Well...I'll leave the obvious about the looks unsaid, but the adjustability seems to be the best there is on the market. Crazy many options to set up the club to every player. The Phenom shaft, it's not a surprise, and it's nothing special, but I can't think that it would be a bad shaft in any way. Get fit and go with the result, maybe?

The thing that worries me, is that although the driver will perform most likely very good, will the actual performance be undermined by all the adjustability, tech talk and graphics? So much in one head that people might miss the real performance, anyone know what I mean?

I hope to try this though, I used to be a huge TM fan, and they do seem to take things further every year.

I think it looks OK in pics, we'll see in person though. I just think they keep trying to push the envelope, or "reinvent the wheel" when a lot of golfers just want a very basic or non-flashy design. I think this would be a completely different driver with a gloss black top. It's TM though, so it will sell. I do want to hit it.

I'm sure it will perform but TM just doesn't excite me. I have zero to little interest in hitting this.
I saw in another thread where Callaway stole the green colour from TM so does this mean that TM stole the orange from Cobra? I kid, I kid.

Aesthetics don't bother me but it looks too big.

This offer from TM may be a hit, from the graphics to the deep thwack at impact. The shaft does nothing for me but with the right shaft this baby will pop. I didn't get that heavy feeling at impact as I did with previous drivers. What I did get was a very low ball flight but dead straight and hot off the face.

The compass on the bottom just takes away from looks

I know there are a whole bunch of THPers that had a chance to try this one out. Looking forward to their feedback and I will have some rather large reviews coming shortly.

I know there are a whole bunch of THPers that had a chance to try this one out. Looking forward to their feedback and I will have some rather large reviews coming shortly.

Nice. I'm looking forward to what they have to say about it.

Sweet. I'm interested In What they thought and hope they got to compare it to the R11

I'm just wondering if I can hit this any better than the r11s, which I couldn't seem to hit at all. I am intrigued by all the tuning capabilities and not put off by the graphics. Will certainly follow along if there is THP testing on this in the near future.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

I'm really not a fan of the previous Aldila RIP shafts I've swung and I hope this shaft is better than the one in the R11s. The look stirs up very little emotion for me either good or bad.

I love how it is so adjustable, and having 1 head for every loft is a move that I hope is copied by other manufacturers (Cobra already does this too?). Being able to adjust loft independent of lie and face angle is great as well.

I find it interesting that after reading this morning that the Ping G25 is moving the center of gravity further back, the R1 is moving it further forward.

This interesting - I hadn't thought if this difference.

Wow! The adjustability is off the charts! I don't adjust my driver much after I find good settings for me. And I love the RIP shafts in my R11s 3 & 5. I really love my SuperTri with my Miyazaki shaft. I was not a fan of the R11 or R11s. I did like the RBZ. It'll be interesting to see how these perform in reviews.

Love the head cover, hate the compass on the sole. Just too dang busy overall.....but if it gave me better numbers than anything else I would game it.

Interested to see how people liked it.

Something I forgot to add earlier is I love what they are offering with the loft sleeve technology. With a range from 8* to 12*, it really gives the golfer a chance to experiment and find what really works for them. I would be lying to say that all of the higher loft discussions as of late were not intriguing to me.

I got a chance to hit this last weekend in Sarasota. While some may not like the looks, I actually like this 1 over any of the other white drivers they have released.

I took swings with this driver, and it was a first club I hit of the morning. Everything for me was low and right. Sound was not overly pleasing and I could not get a good swing on it for anything. I went and actually warmed up hitting some irons, then a few other clubs and then came back to this one. after I was warmed up the results were a bit better still was seeing a lower ball flight but my shots were not all bad. I think for me a bit of adjustment is in order and perhaps a shift change, and then performance might be a bit better.

The only thing I kept thinking when hitting this driver was that it felt the same as their previous offering.

I'm iffy on the top. I could see how it would help frame the shot as the PR stuff says, but I think the tops of the R11s and RBZ will look better at address, comparatively. That and the compass at the bottom, I feel like the more things that are movable on something, the more chances you have to break it.

I'm curious about this as well. It looks huge.

I think the pictures are showing it deeper than it really is. I did not think it was as deep as the Classic I have been playing.

I like how they went with the "all-in-1" adjustability. Makes it easy for fitting, easier for those small groups of consumers who will adjust it themselves.

That being said. It's not for me, but I do give Tayormade credit for this.

I think the pictures are showing it deeper than it really is. I did not think it was as deep as the Classic I have been playing.

Thanks for the clarification. Sort of bummed to hear it, but they can't all be dinner plates. The loft adjustment is pretty cool. No denying that.

Back