TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

I like how they went with the "all-in-1" adjustability. Makes it easy for fitting, easier for those small groups of consumers who will adjust it themselves.

That being said. It's not for me, but I do give Tayormade credit for this.

You are going to hear a TON of marketing about 80% of golfers playing the wrong loft. I bet that is their number 1 marketing slogan this year like last year was 17 yards. Ironically it is pretty darn true in our field testing.

Other companies have this now, so it will be interesting to see if the others can keep up.

You are going to hear a TON of marketing about 80% of golfers playing the wrong loft. I bet that is their number 1 marketing slogan this year like last year was 17 yards. Ironically it is pretty darn true in our field testing.

Other companies have this now, so it will be interesting to see if the others can keep up.

I hope they do market it. Out of the recent Taylormade market claims, it would be one that makes the most since and literally for every golfer.

I am 50/50 on it. I dont mind the graphics and think the compass is a little weird and out of place. For whatever reason I have completely fallen out of love with TM products over the last year + and that is all I used to play.

Graphics on the crown don't bother me either way - they look OK, but it wouldn't both me in the slightest if they were not there.

Adjustability is obviously the major selling factor this particular driver, and because of the huge adjustability it offers I think it will do well in today's market.

I will be looking to give this a trial run as and when it comes onto the market, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the likes of my current Razr Fit and the Razr Fit Extreme. I love the adjustability of my Razr Fit at the moment and being able to tweak it here and there to improve accuracy off the tee and quality of ball strike.

Ironically, Taylormade isn't the first out with this technology. Maybe the first to press, but I have already hit the Amp Cell in stores and the Covert has been in "What Will Be Hot in 2013" lists. I will be interested if the TM machine can make this work.

Ironically, Taylormade isn't the first out with this technology. Maybe the first to press, but I have already hit the Amp Cell in stores and the Covert has been in "What Will Be Hot in 2013" lists. I will be interested if the TM machine can make this work.

Yes they can. Is that right? Not sure. But we saw this with adjustability (they were not first). Then we saw it with white drivers (not first there either). They have the marketing down on this and in this instance are going with a program that I actually really believe in. I think far too many golfers are playing the wrong loft.

With that said, I like some of the options I hit that also have this technology including the MyFly

I cant wait to hit this. IF the crown distracts me, then I cant hit it.

If not, I don't care what it looks like. If it fits me better than my current gamer then I would have no problem using it

This all sort of explains why Cobra was so early in releasing information on the MyFly tech to me.

Wow, that's a lot going on with the crown graphics. The sole plate reminds me of a compass rose or something similar, but with all products the proof is in the pudding. I can't wait to give it a swing.

I said it before, and I'll say it again...not a fan of the graphics. Just seems like it would distract me at address.

I could do without the orange stripe, or massive bolt on the bottom, but then, I like a simple clean club design. I'll pay attention to the reviews when they come, but I'm coming into this one with some skepticism.

~Rock

It is all about performance with me, I am chomping at the bit to hit this one.

Its ok.

I hit this the other weekend at the Florida get together and was under-impressed. When I first saw the graphics I was like "Whoa, what the hell" Then I addressed the ball and it actually helped me with alignment and stopped bothering me right away. The phenom shaft in it was very solid, liked it. The club head feel wise and design wise for me fell short. The "Compass" on the bottom of the wood for me interupted my take away. I take it away slightly brushing the grass and the compass/edge of the cavity were snagging the grass a bit, this just bothered me. The head itself seemed extremely light and didnt get the solid feel I was looking for. I did hit the RBZ 2 that same day and thought it to be the better of the two TMAG offerings.

Had a chance to hit this last weekend down in Sarasota. The graphics are loud, but it wasn't something that distracted me while looking down at the ball. Maybe it's cause I focus more on the ball than the crown, but it wasn't an issue.

Ball flight was lower launching than I was anticipating. I already have a low launch to begin with, so this was disappointing. Then again, it was at its stock loft so I know it could have been adjusted. Flight was a low right flight, but not uncontrollable. The stock shaft I just don't think was working for me.

I did notice that the club felt heavy in comparison to my R11 and even the RBZ 2.0. I thought that was interesting.

This is ugly. At least they incorporated a compass for finding my way back out of the trees.

Besides the graphics and the compass, The shape of the driver looks exactly like the R11S....

Was able to try this out last weekend. still undecided about the look of the sole plate. I can dig the crown graphics though. Overall I didnt take much swings with it but the few I did the club just felt heavy and was not a fit for me from initial impressions. Probably need more time with it to "sync" with it but its def. not on my radar. Although, the concept and adjustability is phenomenal

This is ugly. At least they incorporated a compass for finding my way back out of the trees.

lol repped for this one. Seems too gimicky to me at first look. If it works for me I'd bag it, but I'm not running out to stand in line to buy it yet.

Just the with the RBZ 2 line, I'm not a fan of the graphics. But it's certainly worth taking some swings with. Hope it sounds better than the R11s driver. Sounds like it's a lower launching head from what some of the guys in here are saying. I don't think that's a good set up for me then, but hey I could always adjust it.

The compass doesn't bother me a bit, the very last thing I think about when buying a driver is how the sole looks. The graphics i could certainly do without.

I think it looks stupid, but it wouldn't bother me. Unless it gets destroyed like the faceplate on the R11 did. That would kind of bother me.

I really like how they went back to the classic "T" logo alignment aid on the crown that they had on R11 and previous models. The "R11" logo on the crown of R11S just doesn't look right.

I really like how they went back to the classic "T" logo alignment aid on the crown that they had on R11 and previous models. The "R11" logo on the crown of R11S just doesn't look right.

I think that is a nice subtle change as well. I think this club would look great without an alignment aid.

After watching the video on youtube that TM put up.....it sounds terrible.

Wish they would develop a true independent loft/lie/face angle adjustment. Having a 2* open face if you want a 8* loft shouldn't be the only option. They need to figure this out. Does anyone offer this yet?

Back