TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

I'm not sure I understand your wording here. Care to explain more as to why the sole plate doesn't adjust face angle separate from loft?

Is it really a gimmick if visually it "looks" correct to the golfer doing the swinging?

I understand the loft/lie thing and I also understand that it does not work for you because of how don't ground the club first, but I know for myself, I want to see the driver face set up to the ball a certain way, which this achieves, correct?

You asked me to explain how the sole plate doesn't adjust face angle seperate from loft, I did. As far as gimmick, I think it is a gimmick, you could just tell golfers to turn the club to the desired face angle and grip the club lol. But that is neither here nor there, there are golfers who need the sole plate to get the correct look, there are some who don't. For those that don't need the sole plate, it is useless. If anything it adds a few grams to the sole of the club, maybe that is a good thing.

The more I look at this driver the more I think I like the look of it. It's growing on me. I thought it had to much going on on the crown but not so much anymore.

I'm sure we'll have some pretty varied thoughts on the look. I know it's cliche, but I just haven't once been bothered by it when I'm actually hitting the ball. I don't look at the driver when I'm swinging it. Maybe not the way I'd personally design my own dream driver, but it's not revolting to me.

After seeing the bombs DJ was hitting this week I want one, simple as that!

Yea he's just given that thing some instant crediblity for sure.

As for the sole plate talk. I still am not sure if I understand how that works, so I'm going to mess around with it a lot this weekend. I'm more interested in finding the right loft and messing with the wieghts a bit.

I am pretty jealous of Hawk. This driver is calling my name.

I'll try to get lots of info out there for you partner. My first thoughts were that it launched a little lower than the other drivers I've been hitting, so I think I'll up the loft. The weight's out on the toe right now as well, so may move that to the heel to see if it closes the face up a little earlier for me.

I'll try to get lots of info out there for you partner. My first thoughts were that it launched a little lower than the other drivers I've been hitting, so I think I'll up the loft. The weight's out on the toe right now as well, so may move that to the heel to see if it closes the face up a little earlier for me.

Thanks Hawkage. I like that your tinkering

I know several OEM's offer it now, but how cool is it that you can legitimately finally adjust the loft without impacting the face angle. Big time game changer and I appreciate what TM is doing with R1 for "one driver" and marketing it with a message.

I know several OEM's offer it now, but how cool is it that you can legitimately finally adjust the loft without impacting the face angle. Big time game changer and I appreciate what TM is doing with R1 for "one driver" and marketing it with a message.

I honestly still don't get how it works man. I do know that the prevailing thought in the industry seems to be that many will see more side-to-side changes via weight movement anyway. Hopign to get it out in the open tonight to hear how it sounds.

I am pretty jealous of Hawk. This driver is calling my name.

2nd this.
if Hawk wasn't so damn cool, I'd hate him for it. but for now, i'll just stay mildly envious.
definitely looking forward to hearing back on thoughts after tinkering with the 168 different setup positions.

It's almost overload man. I feel like I have an idea with where to start at least. I do see why the guys in FL say they were getting a low ball. My launch was around 10° in the set up it came to me in.

I despise the white look, but for whatever reason, this driver has me intrigued. I want to hit this badly

It's almost overload man. I feel like I have an idea with where to start at least. I do see why the guys in FL say they were getting a low ball. My launch was around 10° in the set up it came to me in.

Does the TM R1 application help with making suggestions for how to dial it in based on what you are experiencing?

You know bro....10 degree launch angle isn't terrible, I'd take that in a heat beat around here. Especially for my course with the wider rolling fairways, if I can hit a lower bullet it will run for miles. I can't wait to hear more about this thing from you. I thought I hated it, but DJ has changed my mind a little bit.

Does the TM R1 application help with making suggestions for how to dial it in based on what you are experiencing?

You are a smart one. Need to make that happen asap. Thanks for the idea!

You know bro....10 degree launch angle isn't terrible, I'd take that in a heat beat around here. Especially for my course with the wider rolling fairways, if I can hit a lower bullet it will run for miles. I can't wait to hear more about this thing from you. I thought I hated it, but DJ has changed my mind a little bit.

That's actually a really good point. About half or 2-3 of my season is in wind with fairways ripe for the ball to roll and roll. It's still early, but I do think you could easily make a set up that does just that. What I've read about the shaft tells me it has a pretty firm tip too.

You are a smart one. Need to make that happen asap. Thanks for the idea!

No problem, I watched a video demo of the app (below) but it was hard to discern if it does this or not. If this is just a matter of looking at a booklet and tinkering with 168 different options that's not good.

Downloading now and I'll add it to the review. Thanks again, Mr Cook.

sweet!!
i think i'll download this right meow!

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with all of it. It's wanting to take a picture I think.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with all of it. It's wanting to take a picture I think.

That's what they appeared to do in the video. I am confused as well.

Definitely not like the app for the Z-Star which recommended easy on the fly changes.

No problem, I watched a video demo of the app (below) but it was hard to discern if it does this or not. If this is just a matter of looking at a booklet and tinkering with 168 different options that's not good.

I got really confused on it, the Ping app for the G25 made me say huh as well.

I like the idea of putting something out there to keep people connected, but the Srixon Zstar app seemed more useful.

Hit this quite a bit tonight indoors. Will have some thoughts some time in the next day or so, but for now I thought a little sound clip would be nice. This one definitely has a higher pitch at impact. It sort of grew on me over time.

I like the sound. High pitched, but it's a quick sound.

I like the sound. High pitched, but it's a quick sound.

Not a lot of clank to it. Just a muted, high pitched sound. It's very different than the Classic, but not too bad at all.

Good video Hawk. I think it shows off the sound well. Its not my favorite by any means in terms of sound, but not nearly as obnoxious as the R11S.

Believe it or not, I have never hit that driver. Certainly better than the RBZ Tour that I did hit last year.

Hit this quite a bit tonight indoors. Will have some thoughts some time in the next day or so, but for now I thought a little sound clip would be nice. This one definitely has a higher pitch at impact. It sort of grew on me over time.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the sound, it's really solid and looks like you were putting a good hit on the ball as well!

Back