TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

As a bit of a Taylormade homer I'm really interested in this driver. The last 3 years I went from the Supertri to the R11 to the R11S. The R11S is the best driver head I've ever hit so I'm interested to see if this has improved on the R11S. The amount of adjustability on this driver is ridiculous. Really like how they have 1 driver with all the different loft options. As for the graphics on the crown, I was initially opposed to it but the more I see it the more I like it. I also really like the look of the sole. Can't wait to hear more feedback on this.

Cool presentation box for the R1 just arrived at THP.

8abu3uja.jpg

That is an awesome box the R1 came in.

Is it possible to media blast a driver and repaint it? That is the only way that I would ever hit this driver.

I love Taylormade, I use the driver and 3 wood from the company. But this club is way too ugly. Its own mother couldn't like it. Why are all of them white. Why not have a black option. If I can ever afford a new driver there is no way I would even consider this no matter what the performance is like. Give me something a little more traditional.

Now, like all internet users, I know that taylormade will take my personal preforances into account and change the whole range. I will sit in wait for it to happen.

Still not a fan of the graphic but I don't view this as a huge leap for TM

Apparently I had the compass pointed in the wrong direction as all my shots were going right.

I wish I had more time with this one. I think with some adjusting and different shaft it could be a solid option. The low liners I was hitting just aren't good for business.

man, that box is awesome. I want this more now
Have you liked any of the R11 drivers? I know you hated the R11 but can't remember what you thought of the R11S?

Anyone else notice how the R1 logo looks like 13 on the club head? If this was intended, I think it is a great design idea.

While I am not someone who would be purchasing this driver at this price point. I could see myself purchasing this driver about 4 years down the road and it still being a very relevant club.

the crown graphics are over the top. it looks like a piece of fiberglass that came off of a F1 race car..

They remind me of a 70s muscle car. :)

Wish they would develop a true independent loft/lie/face angle adjustment. Having a 2* open face if you want a 8* loft shouldn't be the only option. They need to figure this out. Does anyone offer this yet?

Hmmph. I was under the impression that this COULD adjust the loft independently of face angle and lie...I must have read it wrong. If it can't then what have they really accomplished? Nothing in my books. It's similar to last years model but can adjust just that wee bit further.

Very disappointing.

The graphics are one of those things that I initially don't like, but I'm sure in a couple months will not think twice about. Just like the name rocketballz. Last year I thought it was ludicrous, now I don't even blink when I hear or see it.

Hmmph. I was under the impression that this COULD adjust the loft independently of face angle and lie...I must have read it wrong. If it can't then what have they really accomplished? Nothing in my books. It's similar to last years model but can adjust just that wee bit further.

Very disappointing.

Changing loft, changes face angle. Adjustment wise it added a little more adjustability out of the box, I think before you could go up or down 1.5* from the set loft of the club, so if it was a 9* head you could down to 7.5 or up to 10.5 of loft. You can't adjust face angle independent from loft or vice versa. You can adjust face with the doohickey on the bottom of the head, but it only comes into play if you ground your club and then take your grip and don't change anything after that, from my understanding. I have never been one to grip a club that way, so it never came into play for me. I could be all wrong about this stuff also lol. I thought the only club until this point that had true loft/lie adjustability that was independent of each other was the 910/913 line of drivers/woods/hybrids.

I just saw the commercial with all the staffers with the "war paint" orange stripe thing on their face and thought it was pretty goofy...would be hilarious if they played an actual tournament with face paint on to hype the driver.

I like the marketing tagline Make It YOUR1 but did not dig that commercial.

As much as I think it'll be exactly like the R11S, I'm very excited to hit it. I think it can perform if fitted correctly.

I love the technology going on w/ TM. I don't love the graphics. I didn't mind the white finish on the R11/R11s. If I end up with the R1, I might have to check craigslist for a custom airbrush artist to fix it :)

100% agree. I am not thrilled with the included shafts, but I think it looks slick.

thats a brilliant idea. haha "Here's my custom jet black R1" lol

The more I look at this driver the more I think I like the look of it. It's growing on me. I thought it had to much going on on the crown but not so much anymore.

Changing loft, changes face angle. Adjustment wise it added a little more adjustability out of the box, I think before you could go up or down 1.5* from the set loft of the club, so if it was a 9* head you could down to 7.5 or up to 10.5 of loft. You can't adjust face angle independent from loft or vice versa. You can adjust face with the doohickey on the bottom of the head, but it only comes into play if you ground your club and then take your grip and don't change anything after that, from my understanding. I have never been one to grip a club that way, so it never came into play for me. I could be all wrong about this stuff also lol. I thought the only club until this point that had true loft/lie adjustability that was independent of each other was the 910/913 line of drivers/woods/hybrids.

I'm not sure I understand your wording here. Care to explain more as to why the sole plate doesn't adjust face angle separate from loft?

This should be Taylormade's new ad for the R1 after what I saw today:

That Sound....

I'm not sure I understand your wording here. Care to explain more as to why the sole plate doesn't adjust face angle separate from loft?

On any club if you open or close the face of the club, you change the loft of the club. The sole plate on the R11, R11s and R1 drivers only work if you ground your club and then grip the club and don't change anything else after gripping. It's really just a gimmick, as you can do the same thing by just turning the club shaft in your hand and regripping the club. In either case, if you use the sole plate or just regrip the club and you are not in the neutral position you have changed the effective loft of the club from where it is set on the shaft for adjustable clubs. i.e. if I set my driver to 8.5* with a neutral setting, then open the face the club, the loft should be higher then the 8.5*, if I set it to 8.5* and close the face, the loft should be lower then 8.5*.

Is it really a gimmick if visually it "looks" correct to the golfer doing the swinging?

I understand the loft/lie thing and I also understand that it does not work for you because of how don't ground the club first, but I know for myself, I want to see the driver face set up to the ball a certain way, which this achieves, correct?

This should be Taylormade's new ad for the R1 after what I saw today:

That Sound....

Looks like DJ is rocking the adicross this year!

Back