TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Great promo everyone. The feedback was awesome that you provided,

This will be a fun thread to watch... I am kind of unhappy with my CB/MC Combo (really just the MCs) and I will be deciding upon the RXTs, R11s (which I hit today), or finishing the CB set. I will be watching this one closely. My initial thoughts of the R11 irons were that they were an impressive blend of distance, forgiveness, and feel. The ball flight was a little off putting thought because I did hit them pretty high.

Taking these out to play this weekend for the last round before review.

Taking these out to play this weekend for the last round before review.

I know you loved the R9's and I'm interested to see how these compare. Reason being is I didn't hit the R9's well at all. Had some succes with the CB's and 2.0's. I think these might fall right in line.

Few things I forgot toad in my promo; Charlie our taylormade rep from carlsbad was giving us all kinds of background on our equipment.

The biggest piece of data to me was, the fact these were in development for three years!

Granted they released several sets since then, you can see the technology in the r11 in the last Few releases.

The first and biggest technology to me; distance. I mean it's what you first look for in any club. How much farther is it over your previous set, or against the competition. The r11 has the face of the burner 2.0 that is legendary with it's distance performance. The first thing I noticed when hitting the r11 on the range was how it felt at impact and distance. My normal 7 iron was 150-160. The 8 iron of the r11 was flying to the 160 pin on the range which was slightly uphill. Even better on pure shots, the r11 launches off the face and you don't even feel it leave. It's unbelievable. I have never felt such a pure feel at impact, it reminds me of a forged iron- but no forged ever felt this smooth. It's like pure butter.

The burner 2.0 while being one of the longest clubs I've hit, never felt this pure at impact. So they definitely improved on the distanced feel of the burner 2.0 and incorporated it very well into the r11. The ultra thin face just gives you that feeling of AHA hehe, it is addicting on the range, you just want to keep feeling it like cool breezes cigs.

Second little piece of technology they unveiled with the forged line. The weight port, lug nut, whatever you want to call it. As Charlie explained it, they use to use wrings in the hosel to balance the club head. But that would move the center of gravity left or right depending on where it was originally. By utilizing a weight behind the face, the CG is perfectly balanced directly behindthesweetspot which gives a perfect balanced set of irons, and nice high launches with the low CoG.

I can honestly say these r11 are the highest launching iron I've ever hit. Usually hit low stingers with my 5 or 6 irons, but these were towering shots that landed on greens with some sticking power.

So Charlie explained the R11 as a combination of technologies between the burner 2.0 and the CBs. I always loved the distance of the burner 2.0 (they would have been my choice sans r11). But the CBS never felt great to me. I hit the MC and MB better than then for whatever reason, andidefinitley need some forgiveness in my irons.

The forgiveness of the R11 is something I'd Ike a few more rounds to get a good feel of, I already have Gita few shots out onthetoe and seen decent distance and height. Which if that holds it may be one of the most forgiving I've seen.

Finally the sole, taken from taylormade to be marketed as a "tour level sole"; it has a thin beveled edge that interacts with the turf admirably.

I'm not too steep an iron player but I do hit fat shots, and on a couple of the fat range shots they didn't dig too far into the turf, allowing for some distance depending on the severity.

All in all after all the irons i have hit this year, the r11 takes the prize as the best iron forme. I couldntbe more happy with it, and I cannot thank TaylorMade, orTHP for that matter, for allowing me to participate in the Morgan cup.

I really opened my eyes to what the event was about, and making the THP. Community a. Part of me. I consider all these it's my brothers and I can't express enough how grateful I am to have been a part of it.

Off to work, can't wait to swing these again!

Suchanawesome iron- I think they are gonna set records with sales numbers, that good!

Nice write up CG! You hit them so well dude.

Hi folks, great promo's. So good in fact I NEEDED to go hit these again.

R11 Irons-
Today I hit the 4 and 7 irons. I have those in MC and MB, so I thought it would be a 'fair' test.

7i- I hit this club in my MB tops 150, straight. R11 on the launch monitor was showing I was hitting a 7 in the 180 zone. High ball flight, and very fast off the club face. I had a few mishits and those hit 150 with ease. Distance wise, I was impressed. So much so that I think the sim is wrong. The one thing is that I was not as straight as I am with my current irons. This could be that I am very use to and still very much in love with them. I thought the R11 were very much like the CB, I would have to look really hard to find a significant difference. I also hit these R11 further than my old CB's.

4i- Longer than my current MC. I was hitting these about 220ish. Lots of roll out, at least 10 yards according the monitor. Again I question the accuracy of the monitor, but now, I am thinking that subconsciously I need a reason to buy these. I set for long and one for more control. The justifications are endless as I hit these in the sim. I am impressed.

Feel- They feel great, not as good as the TP I am gaming. Albeit, I have had those on course in actual conditions. The R11 are soft though. As I type this, they are much more forgiving in terms of mishits and the vibration in the hands. They emit a nice sound too, I thought they sounded strange at first. They sound great. I loud click almost. I hit thin shot for the most part and inside the heel. These gave a different tone for each mis. I like that.

I feel that these are awesome irons. I will not be buying any (as of yet) as I still really loving the MC/MB combo. If I were to switch, these would be in the bag. I would pop different shafts and grips on though. I am still analyzing the video I shot on my iphone in the bay. These do sound good and are rocket launchers. Still would need to course test to see if I have the control of the TP's.

MCer's must have loved these once dialed in. LOOOOOOONNNNNGGG.

Great job guys. It was great to watch. I can't wait till mine arrive.

TC, I tried really hard to like the RXT, it just didn't happen. For me and my swing, they just were not working. The R11 on the other hand was very smooth and very accurate. I've always liked Callaway, and would have loved to order either set of Razr irons, but I just could not make them work.

youve tried the R11's and they aren't even out yet, how?

youve tried the R11's and they aren't even out yet, how?

They are around some golf shops. Just hit some this afternoon...had to walk away quickly.

--
tapatalk

There at GolfTown where I hit em and also hardly walked away

Awesome stuff guys. Truly.

I love my 2.0's more than ANY other club in my bag, but stuff like this makes me want to make these a Christmastime ponder....with c-taper's....oh my gosh.

I like these a lot more than the 2.0. I hit these way better. I am now in full ponder mode. This is probably the only time I will embrace mr. Resistance.

Wonder if it's worth getting these and selling my 2.0s?

Go hit them. I just got new irons and I said I wouldn't get another set for a bit. When things work so good, it's like an internal war. I would need to test outside first. The numbers I got today were Stellar though...

Awesome stuff guys. Truly.

I love my 2.0's more than ANY other club in my bag, but stuff like this makes me want to make these a Christmastime ponder....with c-taper's....oh my gosh.

What he said, I'm pondering that same combo, I'm gonna try both but the 2.0's will be a lot cheaper before next season.

Great job guys once again.

OK, played a round with these today at my home course and I'm really starting to get these dialed in. I'm just flushing them right now, and the feel when you do is second to none, however if you miss, there is still a surprising amount of forgiveness packed in the head. After blowing a lot of greens long I think I have the yardages dialed in finally and what I am seeing is : (all yardages are carry and are outing, and Morgan Cup approved.)

AW: 120
PW: 130
9 I: 140
8 I: 150
7 I: 160
6 I: 170
5 I: 180
4 I: 190

The best thing is, these irons are so consistant. I can pull any iron at any time and know that they are going to go the correct yardage. No crazy flyers like I would sometimes get with the 2.0s and Di11's. Paired with the right shaft I think these irons would be great for the + player, straight through to a 18 HC or so. I'm in love right now I'll tell you that.

OK, played a round with these today at my home course and I'm really starting to get these dialed in. I'm just flushing them right now, and the feel when you do is second to none, however if you miss, there is still a surprising amount of forgiveness packed in the head. After blowing a lot of greens long I think I have the yardages dialed in finally and what I am seeing is : (all yardages are carry and are outing, and Morgan Cup approved.)

The best thing is, these irons are so consistant. I can pull any iron at any time and know that they are going to go the correct yardage. No crazy flyers like I would sometimes get with the 2.0s and Di11's. Paired with the right shaft I think these irons would be great for the + player, straight through to a 18 HC or so. I'm in love right now I'll tell you that.

Awesome stuff CB. Those are my distances with them as well.

I really like the look of these irons. Initially I thought they looked awful with the red weight. I am going to compare them to my CBs tomorrow at work and decide if I want to sell my CB/MC Combo set or finish out the CBs and sell the 7-PW MC (that may be hard to do though)

Great info Coolbreeze. I like hearing consistant and forgiving when you talk about irons.

Great post CB. I hope to play sunday so I can provide some info. I'm still not sure what my distances are since I was hitting a lot of TC approved knockdowns.

Great post CB. I hope to play sunday so I can provide some info. I'm still not sure what my distances are since I was hitting a lot of TC approved knockdowns.

That stung. Just hit the ball Jimmy!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

haha. I did stick a penta 5' on 9 with an 8i from 159 yds out. It felt nice.

haha. I did stick a penta 5' on 9 with an 8i from 159 yds out. It felt nice.

Dude, I don't know why you fool with that knock down crap. That's what wedges are for buddy. You just need to get a yardage and rip it. You hit some killer shots over the weekend man. You carrying me around Saturday afternoon must've been exhausting though. Are you glad you chose the R11's dude?

Dude, I don't know why you fool with that knock down crap. That's what wedges are for buddy. You just need to get a yardage and rip it. You hit some killer shots over the weekend man. You carrying me around Saturday afternoon must've been exhausting though. Are you glad you chose the R11's dude?

100%! I was going to go with the MC's, but am glad I went with the R11's. They are extremely forgiving and long. The lofts are very similar to what I was used to, so it didn't take long to get accustomed to them. I haven't hit them since I have been back home. I hope to get out sunday afternoon if the damage isn't too bad from Irene. I have an itch and the only cure is more R11.

Back