TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

I think it's an all around good stick... Been impressed, with the limited amount of shots that I've been able to hit with it.

These will fair much better than the R9's did...

man i'm wishing I hadn't just gotten new clubs earlier this year, I would so like to try these out. Have you say, all of you guys cut great promos. Was really impressed how all of them turned out!

Anybody got any thoughts on the workability of these? I know they're not forged, but can you turn the ball with them?
You can, but honestly, not as much as my Cleveland irons, which are a players type iron. These irons to me fly straighter and perhaps they are designed to do that. In comparison with the 2.0's, it's easier to draw or fade the ball with the R11's. I had a really difficult time moving the ball with the 2.0's.

I generally just try and hit the ball straight. It's not too often when I call on my "workability" ability, I just don't find it very necessary or an integral part of my game, even though I can do it.

I've got 6 rounds on the R11 irons and I've got another round today during a charity scramble. I've also had a chance to get on a launch monitor and I had some interesting results. I'll get those posted up later today or maybe even tomorrow morning.

Have I mentioned how much I like these irons?

biggsy....did you tinker with the lofts (i.e strengthening them) or did you leave them stock

I've got 6 rounds on the R11 irons and I've got another round today during a charity scramble. I've also had a chance to get on a launch monitor and I had some interesting results. I'll get those posted up later today or maybe even tomorrow morning.

Have I mentioned how much I like these irons?

Any of the testers have opinions specifically on the R11 wedges (AW/SW)?

Yes I do sir. I had a little shootout between the 51* xft wedge and the R11 AW to see which one was going to be in my bag and the AW won hands down. I don't use my aw for a lot of chipping or pitching so the AW is a great full wedge for me. I use it from 120 for a full shot, and it just cuts through the turf, or the rough. I love having an AW as part of the iron set, though.

Coolio and ary have the aw gamed- I dont think anyone has a sw though.

I love my 50 xft too much right now but I might test and battle out between them soon

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, like coolbreeze, the AW would always be a full wedge for me, so it sounds like that would be a no-brainer ...

Had a chance to demo the R11 irons during a local TM demo day. Head size is definitely smaller than the picture suggests, the topline seems about the same as the CBs(actually to "my" eyes looked thinner than the CBs for the 7 iron) and the sole width is a little wider than the CBs. In a word, they look fantastic and not too much like GI irons at all.
On flushed shots, I could not tell the difference in feel between CB/MC/R11s, R11s sound a little different with what I would describe as more "crack" and very pleasant. However on less than perfect shots the feel was definitely more muted, results were far better. Still high, long and straight with may be 5 to 10 yard losses in distance compared to 15 yards or more for the MCs and CBs.
It was pretty windy today so I cannot comment too much on distance, but I can say it was longer than the CBs, the ball flight was really high but seemed to cut through the wind quite well. I would be interested in pairing the head with a difference shaft to see the results, demo day only had KBS tour 90 stiffs.
I have a trip to TM labs late September and I cannot wait to be fitted for the R11s....

Had a chance to demo the R11 irons during a local TM demo day. Head size is definitely smaller than the picture suggests, the topline seems about the same as the CBs(actually to "my" eyes looked thinner than the CBs for the 7 iron) and the sole width is a little wider than the CBs. In a word, they look fantastic and not too much like GI irons at all.
On flushed shots, I could not tell the difference in feel between CB/MC/R11s, R11s sound a little different with what I would describe as more "crack" and very pleasant. However on less than perfect shots the feel was definitely more muted, results were far better. Still high, long and straight with may be 5 to 10 yard losses in distance compared to 15 yards or more for the MCs and CBs.
It was pretty windy today so I cannot comment too much on distance, but I can say it was longer than the CBs, the ball flight was really high but seemed to cut through the wind quite well. I would be interested in pairing the head with a difference shaft to see the results, demo day only had KBS tour 90 stiffs.
I have a trip to TM labs late September and I cannot wait to be fitted for the R11s....

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I originally hit them with the Stock KBS 90s shafts. When I switched to the TT Dynalite XP S300, I saw a few yards more distance and much better accuracy. Also had good results with the PX 6.0's in them.

I am going to the Taylormade Performance Lab tomorrow to get fitted for the R11 Irons. I currently play the 2.0's w/ graphite stiff stock shafts. I have played graphite for a long time but I am going to get fitted with steel shafts. I am hoping for more consistency. Anyone play graphite and switch to steel?

I am going to the Taylormade Performance Lab tomorrow to get fitted for the R11 Irons. I currently play the 2.0's w/ graphite stiff stock shafts. I have played graphite for a long time but I am going to get fitted with steel shafts. I am hoping for more consistency. Anyone play graphite and switch to steel?

sweet, wish i could afford some R11 iron goodness lol. These irons are so sexy

I can't help you with the graphite to steel switch, but I can tell you that Steve is a GREAT fitter at the TMPL. Go in there, have an open mind, and take the time to hit different shafts on your clubs when you are outside. You'll get a shaft recommendation from the data that you obtain indoors, but seeing the ballflight outside will definitely help make your decision. Tell Steve that Amol says hi!

Good luck at the TMPL tomorrow sjf. Let us know how it goes.

Ryan...a lot of what you said there corresponds to my thoughts. Someone really has to see these in person before making judgement on them. I really found them between the Burners and CBs in most aspects.

Yes I do sir. I had a little shootout between the 51* xft wedge and the R11 AW to see which one was going to be in my bag and the AW won hands down. I don't use my aw for a lot of chipping or pitching so the AW is a great full wedge for me. I use it from 120 for a full shot, and it just cuts through the turf, or the rough. I love having an AW as part of the iron set, though.

Going back to David's question...I feel exactly the same as Breezy. Since I pretty much only use the AW for full shots, I like the one that matches my PW more than one that is a blade wedge. I'm about 10 yards shorter than CB, but it is a great 105-110 club for me. The turf interaction is great, just as it is for the rest of the iron set.

awesome i have to find a demo day i really wanna try these out at the range and see how they feel.

I played R9's with graphite. I switched because I found myself leaking balls to far in each direction. The one thing I did like was the club head speed I generated. I like a heavier shaft now so I can lay into it. Graphite allowed me to have really easy and smooth swings or else I would pay. This is what I found. The R11 motore shaft looks deadly on these irons though. Another thing, graphite was easier on the body in terms absorbing more.

Hope that helped a bit

Steve is very good at what he does as he fitted me for all my new R11 woods and hybrids this past February. I will never buy new clubs without seeing him first.
I had a good fitting today with Steve and after all was said and done it came down to the Nippon and KBS 90 as the 2 best shafts for me. I went with the KBS 90 steel as it felt good and I liked my ball flight. It also cut down the draw spin and I hit more 6 irons straighter today than I ever have with graphite. I bought the 8 iron and I will play with that for a few rounds and if all goes well, I will buy the rest of the set. I have played graphite for many years as it is easier on my right elbow. I am a little nervous about the shock as I wear a elbow brace to begin and I hit balls and play winter golf when there is no snow and that could hurt using steel. But I am convinced that with my swingspeed that steel is the best way to go and it will help me with a tighter shot dispersion.
I also think it will help me with the "flyer" from the fairway. Every once in a while, the 2.0's just fly over the green. I was told that graphite can do that. let's see...
I can't help you with the graphite to steel switch, but I can tell you that Steve is a GREAT fitter at the TMPL. Go in there, have an open mind, and take the time to hit different shafts on your clubs when you are outside. You'll get a shaft recommendation from the data that you obtain indoors, but seeing the ballflight outside will definitely help make your decision. Tell Steve that Amol says hi!

Hi Mark, I went with the KBS stiff 90 as well! Thanks for your thoughts.
I played R9's with graphite. I switched because I found myself leaking balls to far in each direction. The one thing I did like was the club head speed I generated. I like a heavier shaft now so I can lay into it. Graphite allowed me to have really easy and smooth swings or else I would pay. This is what I found. The R11 motore shaft looks deadly on these irons though. Another thing, graphite was easier on the body in terms absorbing more.

Hope that helped a bit

On a whim, I stopped by my shop today. I Picked the right time because right as I did, the first order of the R11's were getting picked up. Sales guy went to the back to see if mine had been shipped yet, and sure enough they had. They are supposed to be here friday. I can't freakin wait. I wasn't expecting to get them for at least another week.

The only downside is I work all weekend.

Nice! That's awesome that they will be here so soon. Congrats on your purchase man.

I also think it will help me with the "flyer" from the fairway. Every once in a while, the 2.0's just fly over the green. I was told that graphite can do that. let's see...

I think the flyer issue is with the Burner 2.0s in general (mine were steel shaft). There were a couple guys I talked to at the MC that had seen the same thing with the Burner 2.0s...I am happy to report that I did not see the same issue at all with the R11s. I love the KBS 90 shafts in mine.

I think my two favorite steel shafts were the Nippon 95 and the kbs 90- but I too loved the ballflight on the kbs a little better- great offering in a great iron

before i golftec lesson today i asked if they had the R11 irons and they had a 6 iron there. so i asked to hit it. after seeing what shaft i should be hitting we ended up changing to a X stiff Project X 6.5 cause the spin was so high with the stiff and i was hitting them like crap. i ended up hitting them a lot better. i really hate hitting off of the turf mats there but from what i saw from my swing right now i won't be switching from my burner 2.0. i do wanna hit them on the range and that might change my mind but i can't justify spending that much money when i just got new irons this year. from what the launch monitors said i lost some distance but not more than 5-10 yards it looked like. had a few mishits and they seemed to be pretty forgiving. glad i got to hit them but id def wanna hit them on the range a few times before i even thought about buying them. i just don't trust launch monitors and indoor range numbers.

Back