The Car Shopping Thread

Just picked it up today 2024 Camry, it's like riding on air.
View attachment 9234772

Is that the one that has the Hybrid engine? Or did you get one of the last 3.5L V6?

I really like the Camry but could never really have a FWD sedan in where i live in Canada.

If they ever made a true TRD Camry i'd be all over that if i move. The Lexus IS500 exists but is a bit smaller

We haven’t test driven that but we are in a 2014 now and it rides smooth and not like the Tundra
Look at the Lexus version. Not a ton more when features are added and the overall ride is so much quieter

Look at the Lexus version. Not a ton more when features are added and the overall ride is so much quieter
We at leaning CPO GX from 2023 bc of that very reason. We don’t give up any interior space and feels “big enough” for my wife to drive and feel safe

View attachment 9234810

Celebrate New England GIF by Major League Soccer
That looks like trouble. And fun.

We at leaning CPO GX from 2023 bc of that very reason. We don’t give up any interior space and feels “big enough” for my wife to drive and feel safe
The GX is a great vehicle. My only issue with it, is it has about half the safety features of the RX since it’s an older platform. Otherwise it’s my favorite look they have.

The 2022 RX is the last year they made the RX with the naturally aspirated V6 and a deal on one is a car built to go forever and will have all of the latest safety if that is a concern.

Is that the one that has the Hybrid engine? Or did you get one of the last 3.5L V6?

I really like the Camry but could never really have a FWD sedan in where i live in Canada.

If they ever made a true TRD Camry i'd be all over that if i move. The Lexus IS500 exists but is a bit smaller
3.5L V6 and plenty of trunk space for 4 golf bags.

There is an AWD version of the hybrid now. I will be buying one shortly. Still debating between Camry or Corolla.

The GX is a great vehicle. My only issue with it, is it has about half the safety features of the RX since it’s an older platform. Otherwise it’s my favorite look they have.

The 2022 RX is the last year they made the RX with the naturally aspirated V6 and a deal on one is a car built to go forever and will have all of the latest safety if that is a concern.

The new GX looks incredible. I'm definitely gonna check it out but might not have a need for that type of truck if i move. Still might consider it though

Toyota/Lexus it's a pro-con thing. They keep drivetrains and platforms longer than anyone else, but people who buy them expect few problems due to this. I have a 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro, the 5-speed in it is from like 1987 and it's terrible on the highway---but these engines with that transmission also last hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal issues so their resales are awesome.

I believe the famed 3.5L V6 that they used in like half their cars and trucks is indeed going the way of the dodo --replaced in most cases by hybrid assisted 4-cyl ---even in the Tacoma!

The new GX looks incredible. I'm definitely gonna check it out but might not have a need for that type of truck if i move. Still might consider it though

Toyota/Lexus it's a pro-con thing. They keep drivetrains and platforms longer than anyone else, but people who buy them expect few problems due to this. I have a 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro, the 5-speed in it is from like 1987 and it's terrible on the highway---but these engines with that transmission also last hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal issues so their resales are awesome.

I believe the famed 3.5L V6 that they used in like half their cars and trucks is indeed going the way of the dodo --replaced in most cases by hybrid assisted 4-cyl ---even in the Tacoma!
We currently have a 2022 RX with that naturally aspirated V6 and we also have the 2024 RX that has the Turbo 4.
If I had the option when we got the 2024, I would have chosen the V6.

The new GX is the first new body style in forever for that SUV. It will not have the 4, but will also not have the classic 8 that was in the previous, but rather a twin turbo V6.

I want to thank all you bastards. Picked up the 2015 RX350 from the dealer yesterday after the 100k check and oil change. Hood struts shot - estimate $550 - mind blown. No they did not do it, I will do it in the garage myself $30 parts (amazon) and 5 minute youtube video. Dealers suck.

But also a (for now) small leak at the timing cover gasket - told to let them monitor it every oil change and replace when needed - about 10k miles they think. Estimate $5k.

So, if do need that done (maybe when) I will surely shop it around but still I suppose this is the type of fix on an older aging car (despite low for age mileage) that makes us start the process.

I do think given that we have had 3 Lexuses (Lexi?) that as much as I want a Guilia coupe convertible (which does not exist), I will likely stay with Lexus. Just tooling around I thought the ES 350h was what I would get, it's nice, but pricey when properly equipped. So, I thought UX whatever the number is h, that one is just too darn small. That leaves me with 2 choices - another RX - in hybrid mode - which I want it's a lot. So, targeting an NX 350h, wife as a 2021 version - it's performed flawlessly, and redesign (not sure how much), gives more room in front. Prices similarly equipped to the ES are slightly more favorable - and it would offer a bit of utility (added cargo space more better room and driving position for tall people.

Local dealer has several Premium level, with not too many bells and whistles but do include head up display and (@JB) Digital rear view mirror. Towing package. These are listing at about $52,XXX. Carvana said my car in present condition is buyable by them at $12k. Doubt dealer would offer that in trade. So, the process begins.

What else?

I want to thank all you bastards. Picked up the 2015 RX350 from the dealer yesterday after the 100k check and oil change. Hood struts shot - estimate $550 - mind blown. No they did not do it, I will do it in the garage myself $30 parts (amazon) and 5 minute youtube video. Dealers suck.

But also a (for now) small leak at the timing cover gasket - told to let them monitor it every oil change and replace when needed - about 10k miles they think. Estimate $5k.

So, if do need that done (maybe when) I will surely shop it around but still I suppose this is the type of fix on an older aging car (despite low for age mileage) that makes us start the process.

I do think given that we have had 3 Lexuses (Lexi?) that as much as I want a Guilia coupe convertible (which does not exist), I will likely stay with Lexus. Just tooling around I thought the ES 350h was what I would get, it's nice, but pricey when properly equipped. So, I thought UX whatever the number is h, that one is just too darn small. That leaves me with 2 choices - another RX - in hybrid mode - which I want it's a lot. So, targeting an NX 350h, wife as a 2021 version - it's performed flawlessly, and redesign (not sure how much), gives more room in front. Prices similarly equipped to the ES are slightly more favorable - and it would offer a bit of utility (added cargo space more better room and driving position for tall people.

Local dealer has several Premium level, with not too many bells and whistles but do include head up display and (@JB) Digital rear view mirror. Towing package. These are listing at about $52,XXX. Carvana said my car in present condition is buyable by them at $12k. Doubt dealer would offer that in trade. So, the process begins.

What else?
I can’t do the NX because I despise run flat tires. I want a spare and not having that horrible road noise

I can’t do the NX because I despise run flat tires. I want a spare and not having that horrible road noise
I need to see what my wife's 2021 has - I can't deal with added road noise either - mainly due to how it sound with hearing aids - I think her car has conventional tires - not sure. But hers is quieter than my older RX - for whatever that's worth.

I am pretty sure I am still a good 6 months away - maybe more - or not - who knows. I do know there will be much test driving when the time comes.

Thanks for that tip - I read it but did not realize that run flats were louder. Wonder why? I assume the material is harder and transfers road noise more.

IMG_0331.jpegIMG_0330.jpegIMG_0329.jpegAfter driving by it several times in the last 10 days, my wife and I stopped to take a closer peak at a convertible she loves - it’s her favorite car in a color she loves. A 2018 with only 13k miles on it but it’s still stupid expensive. Maybe someday, but for now still a dream car. :)

Is Audi really an unreliable brand? Looking at pre-owned 22 with low miles.

No. We have two 2014 Audi’s that we bought new and handed down to our kids, one with 110k miles, and both are very reliable. Same goes for our 2002 Audi that we put 80k miles on before trading in. My buddy drives a 2020 RS5 Sportback, his 5th Audi in the last 15 years and has never had an expensive repair. We also have owned a few VW’s and all have been inexpensive to own.

Usually pretty good but our last one was an absolute train wreck. Nonstop electrical issues.

The sales guy made a comment that they had a lot more issues during Covid. Not sure if that’s true or just made up to placate me.

Usually pretty good but our last one was an absolute train wreck. Nonstop electrical issues.

The sales guy made a comment that they had a lot more issues during Covid. Not sure if that’s true or just made up to placate me.
I don't know how old yours was but the sales guy at Audi dealership told me their wiring harnesses were made in Ukraine and thus causes lots of issue.

I don't know how old yours was but the sales guy at Audi dealership told me their wiring harnesses were made in Ukraine and thus causes lots of issue.
The sales guy when we bought ours (dont have it anymore) said the same thing.

Wife is looking at a Porsche Panamera (used). Reading all the blogs about them and all the troubles. Does anyone have one and can give me the truth about it?

Two models 21 RX or 22 Audi... Lexus is 10% more both have <20k miles....which one

The Audi.

The answer is always Toyota/Lexus

Lexus will retain value longer and be cheaper to maintain.

Anyone ever drive a Nissan Z? wondering if you could fit a golf bag diagonally into that trunk

I can always go check , but i'm just daydreaming here about cars to buy when i move to Texas and don't need 2 trucks.

Back