The Worst Driver You Ever Bought

My worst one had to be my Burner Bubble Ti back in 1999. I made all kinds of swing changes to try to hit that thing straight. Second would be my Big Bertha in 1997, but that was only because I kept snapping shafts on normal swings until they finall just sent me one back with a steel shaft.

I haven't bought one I hated but I can say that the Nike Sumo my friend plays kills my ears on contact...I have to cover them when he's on the tee box or I'll hear that ringing noise all the way to the green.

I have never had much luck with Taylormade's drivers in general. I remember the bubble burner driver, and I could not hit it at all. Same with the r7, r9 and now the r11. I actually bought an r11 used thinking that the adjustability would make it a superior club. The flight was okay, and the distance was good, but it just felt hollow.

I have had a lot more luck over the years with drivers from Ping and Cleveland. To each his/her own, though.

Another Callaway mention, my worse driver purchace was the Hawkeye VFT driver. It was released right after the Biggest Big Bertha and I had been playing the Great Big Bertha, it was time to upgrade and I thought the newest Cally should replace my several years old GBB. Horrible move, I never hit that VFT driver nearly as good as I had hit the GBB. Sold that sucker within 3 weeks and began a year long driver search, back then it was simply hit or miss and I mostly missed.

Not sure I remember the correct name but had to be the Calloway Big Bertha 460. About 2007 model. The club might have been ok but the shaft was terrible!

I bought a Wright driver on sale.... after hitting it for a few rounds, I knew why it was on sale...

Cally ft-9..... the thing looked 4* shut.....

i tried my friends tour edge driver, regular flex and 10.5*
i only hit it a mile high to a plugged lie. it wasnt a bad club it was just a REALLY bad club for me

Callaway C4 for sure! I consistently bomb my drives 310+ here in Utah and I couldn't get that thing to go 230 yards on a GOOD shot. I LOVE my current Nike SQ Dymo 2 STR8-Fit. I have tried all the new Nikes, a few different Taylor Made's including the R11 and can't find anything nearly as good for me.

I didn't mind the new Nike VR Pro driver but have no reason to buy a new driver. Unfortunately for me, iron play is a big downfall to my game.

Taylor Made System 2. The sweet spot was smaller than a BB and the shaft felt like PVC. Strangely. since then, I've only owned TM drivers. Go figure.

I had an Adams Ovation I believe it was called and played it a month before I got rid of it because it had no feel and impossible to hit straight. But any Callaway driver I have ever demoed I have put right back because they all felt terrible.

Nike Dymo Str8 (the rounded one)

Sounded like you were hitting the ball with a aluminum baseball bat.

Worst driver ever for me is the Giant whale, a component driver I bought from my coach in college. I hit high slices on every shot. He felt bad so he gave me back 50% and I went to EW and bought the TM with bubble shaft. That whale sucked!

Worst driver ever for me is the Giant whale, a component driver I bought from my coach in college. I hit high slices on every shot. He felt bad so he gave me back 50% and I went to EW and bought the TM with bubble shaft. That whale sucked!

LOL, that made me think about this FK
52p.jpg

Spalding Executive EZX. Not sure what was wrong with the driver. The fairway woods and irons were fine, but I couldn't buy a straight drive.

Callaway stealhead!! BARF!

A Hippo 400cc driver this was 2000 or 2001 and John Daly endorsed it. I had it about a week, hit a drive and bent the head. It looked like the face partially colapsed. I returned it for a Taylormade 320 series which worked well for me. Hippo had a commercial on golf channel for that driver with John Daly hitting it vs. A drag race car LOL. Total junk.

Hah!!! The Hippo, the Whale; sounds like the names of the drivers that John Daly endorsed were kind of prophetic to his current lot in life.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Skim alert! Anyone ever try "The Hammer"

442ce98d-f71d-4553.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Never tried one but it would almost be worth the hundred bucks to take it out and yell Boom!

Nike Sumo Square 8.5* X-Stiff. Sounded awful and was a bad fit for me.

I think it was in 93 when I bought a ZETT composite graphite head driver. I couldn't do anything with it. A buddy of mine bought it off of me for $25.00 and still hits it !

I think the Callaway Razr Hawk is a composite head...i wonder what the pluses are in a composite head as opposed to say the beta titanium heads

There was a hippo driver in the garbage can of the first tee at out course...huge crack in it so he broke of the top of the head and hit it with only the face and bottom...somebody must not have like there first drive....

Back