The Worst Driver You Ever Bought

For me it was the Killer Bee in 1995. The 48 inch beast did not belong in my bag since I had no idea what I was doing at the time and thought the harder I swing with my arms like a baseball bat would make the ball go longer. Gotta love infomercials!

Cleveland VAS-damn you Corey Pavin!! hahaha

The first Nike Driver ever released. I dropped my 11 degree steelhead plus for that thing. I hit it dead on the srews and it would go no where. It was pitiful for me.

I remember that nike driver... And i remember the steelhead.. what a contrast between two extremes. lol

R11. Too much crap going on with that club. Unless you get fitted professionally, good luck trying to figure out. And the weights cost extra. Annoying!

Plus, a year later they now have the R11S, which is "longer, bigger, and more adjustable" - after just one year?????? Some nerve!!! After selling a "revolutionary" driver - they obsolete the thing less than 12 months later....if I paid $400 for a R11 I'd be pissed....

Plus, a year later they now have the R11S, which is "longer, bigger, and more adjustable" - after just one year?????? Some nerve!!! After selling a "revolutionary" driver - they obsolete the thing less than 12 months later....if I paid $400 for a R11 I'd be pissed....

Yeah! Damn Taylormade not sitting on their haunches and letting the equipment game pass them by!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Well the golf companies know how fickle we golfers tend to be and how we always want the newer, "better" model. I don't know if I believe him of not cause I didn't hit it but a PGA pro friend of mine said the original Tour Edge Exotics XCG was the perfect combination of balance and power in a fairway wood...(he still games it). His opinion is when TE put out the XCG3, XCG4 and now the XCG 5 is that they, in his words, "tinkered with perfection" and have thus created weaker clubs that the original XCG. Of course i have the XCG4 because I always think newer means better.

to be honest the R11

As of right now the Taylormade 2.0 Superfast is my least favorite driver, I have only had it a couple of weeks, Can't get through the ball cleanly and hit the ground behind the ball on a regular basis, I always change grips on my clubs cuz I like quite a bit of oversize on my clubs, So this week I regripped and cut down the shaft to 45", Haven't got to hit it yet to see if the tweaking will change my opinion on this driver.

i have yet to find a reliable driver. grr...
been through so many. i just went into the garage and looked. there are at least 15 drivers in the garage.
i called around and at least found homes for about 12 of them.
grrr...

currently playing a wishon 919 thi which is working reasonably well.
has a shotmaker installed.

by the way does anyone know how to make the list of the clubs you are playing appear on the bottom of the posts like some people have?
i assume it is in signature somewhere but i can't seem to find it.
thanks

i have yet to find a reliable driver. grr...
been through so many. i just went into the garage and looked. there are at least 15 drivers in the garage.
i called around and at least found homes for about 12 of them.
grrr...

currently playing a wishon 919 thi which is working reasonably well.
has a shotmaker installed.

by the way does anyone know how to make the list of the clubs you are playing appear on the bottom of the posts like some people have?
i assume it is in signature somewhere but i can't seem to find it.
thanks

At the top of the forums page click settings, Then on the left click edit signature, Then you can fill in your list of clubs

For me it was the Adams SC driver......brought it on a whim.....felt awful.....like hitting a ball with a rock tied to a scaffold pole...shaft was that forgiving !
Worryingly I still have it in the garage....may make Ranger junior play with it when he next complains about his golf equipment......evil laugh.......

Fun thread. Everyone always talks about the bests, but it is fun to think back to the worsts.

The worst ever was my first driver. It was an old persimmon headed club with an aluminum shaft. It broke into pieces after one of the few good hits that I had with it.

The worst metal was a no-name, 9.5 degree head with a very long hosel paired with a spaghetti noodle of a graphite shaft. I couldn't for the life of me hit the thing straight, nor up in the air.

The worst good driver that I have owned was a FT-IQ. I'd loved a Nike SQ 5900, but I replaced it with the FT-IQ because I didn't like the sound or look of the Nike. The FT-IQ had improved looks, sound and feel over the 5900, but that was about it. While the FT-IQ was decently straight, I just had zero length with it (too high loft and possibly too stiff of a shaft). The ball just ballooned and had no roll out at all. I literally had second shots play out of plugged lies. Also, the head seemed smaller, so I really didn't have a ton of confidence with it at address. It was a beautiful club that actually had a nice feel, but it was not one that worked well for me. The 5900 was longer and straighter.

Last edited:
Definitely the driver that came with my Dunlop starter set. Those clubs in general were terrible. Only wood I could hit was the 3W... I do not miss them at all.

+1

I also had a Dunlop starter set and the driver was worthless. I don't think it ever left my bag again until I sold the set. And it was about 200 cc's lol.

It was a gift, but it was the Wilson Invex. It lookd like a beige spaceship. It was the year before the "greatest big bertha" was unleashed on the world and the conforming and non conforming arguement started. That Wilson was about the size of my 4 wood.

I also owned an Invex, and it was a true piece of crap. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.

Taylormade SuperTRI.. the worst ever for me. I just could not get that driver to work. tried all kinds of settings, including after buying that weight sets and all.

Nike VR straight fit, club did not like to stay together. It would keep breaking at the hosel.

The worst driver I ever bought was aresin headed, resin shafted bright red Wilson driver which I bought for £199 in 1992. I have still got it and haven't been able to sell it. It is good to see that I am not the only one to have bought badly!!

The worst driver Ive ever bought was the Nike Machspeed Black round version. It just didn't work for me. I hit it awesome on the launch monitor, but on the course I got balloon balls. Oh well, live and learn!

Hands down the Cleveland Hibore XL. Could not hit it to save my life and the feel was terrible.

I have a Machspeed black square that I actually like quite a bit. I also had a Sumo 5900 (shoebox). Wish I had never got rid of that thing. To this day the longest driver I have ever owned. Loud and ugly but results are results.

I have both those. Play with the Machspeed Black square and love it. I kept the old sumo square driver as well, just because I was comfortable with it. I have demo'd numerous other drivers this year, but I hit the Machspeed better and longer than all I have tried including TM r11, TM superfast 2, Ping i20.

It is damned ugly, but works for me :)

Dunlop all day long! i was new to the sport so it was the right choice to but a cheap set to she if i liked it but after just a few months the face caved in!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Worst Driver - Well that will be the next one I buy !:arrogant: I want to buy a new driver after every round. If Golfsmith was in-between my house and the "club" I would become known as a "collector". But seriously folks, it would be the original Taylormade Superfast (1.0) - That baby was just too long for me to control!

I had something called a Maxfli Fire and it was awful. I kept hoping it would break but it never did...and then some poor sap bought it for $75 and I no longer disliked it.

Tap before talk.

to be honest the R11

Agreed. I was really excited about ordering the R11. It just feels really, really hollow to me.

When I first took it to the range, I thought my swing was off. But, I then started hitting balls with my old driver (a Cleveland 400cc), and was striping everything. Sure, the R11 had a little better ball flight, and I appeared to hit it a little further than the Cleveland (which was about 10 years old), but I just could not get over the feel of it.

The RBZ 3W is amazingly solid -- if the RBZ driver is as solid, it will be finding a way into my bag shortly. (Although I do really like my current Cleveland ultralite.)

Back