THP Auto Repair Shop

If you can easily get to Thermostat, remove it (if separate) and reinstall housing. Drive and if no longer over heats Thermostat is problem
Shop told me it's a cracked radiator, they suggested changed out the hoses and thermostat as well. I brought it to a shop a trust more to double check and do whatever work

Shop told me it's a cracked radiator, they suggested changed out the hoses and thermostat as well. I brought it to a shop a trust more to double check and do whatever work
Is it leaking water?

A question for the experts,my wife has a 2012 Honda Civic with apporx. 105k miles.I have been hearing a slight noise( Whining ?) from the front as the car is driven.It has gotten fairly loud so I need it checked.The faster the car, the louder the noise.It sounds like the left front but can't be sure.I am thinking CV joint or wheel bearing .Any clue to which or even if it could be a trans issue?Any known common issues? Just trying to figure what kind of $ I am looking at.
How did this turn out?

Civics in that age range can also have a loud noise issue related to engine mounts. Not sure I’d describe the sound as “whining” though. And given the sound volume increases the faster the car is moving I suspect yours is a moving part. I’m curious how this ended up.

Is it leaking water?
It apparently spewed while she was driving, I have no idea. I filled the coolant reservoir before driving it after getting her off the parkway and the engine went to top temp within 2 miles

Tech also said at some point a leak stop or something was added to the radiator so he thinks other stuff could be gunked up.

I'll know more on Thursday when my good shop takes it in

It apparently spewed while she was driving, I have no idea. I filled the coolant reservoir before driving it after getting her off the parkway and the engine went to top temp within 2 miles

Tech also said at some point a leak stop or something was added to the radiator so he thinks other stuff could be gunked up.

I'll know more on Thursday when my good shop takes it in
Leak Stop, the Bain of Mechanics... and Used Car Lots.

Held at gate for a few:

Have a 2019 Ram 1500. While on my short stint home my Serv4WD light came on. Followed shortly by traction control and various other lights.
View attachment 9229865

Threw 8 codes
View attachment 9229864
The actuator for the 4WD is right under the oil filter and can get messed up if not careful changing oil. Stupid location.

Removed the electrical connection, cleaned and no change.

After several attempts and trace on everything...it was the battery.

Now, I had it tested under load at two different locations and both said it was okay. Both charge and cranking amps.

I didn't have a lot of time so went ahead and bought a new battery.

Everything went away and no codes.

Crazy, but known issue with all the electronics on my truck. Just posting in case someone else sees this happening. Could save a lot of time trouble shooting. Especially if your battery is 3yrs or older.

Guess it's a good early warning as would hate to have the wife drive it tomorrow and battery be dead or strand her somewhere.
Follow up as everything came back a few days after changing the battery. Shop finally had time to look at it while I was out of town.

Was the 4WD actuator. Thank goodness for lifetime warranty!

If you have a Ram Truck and still get that Chewbacca scream when backing up when it's cold, they finally have a fix.
1000001353.jpg
Rear caliper brackets finally got rid of it.

So who wants to come to the Chattanooga area and help me change the transmission pump on my wife's '15 Town and Country...... Started whining like a mofo this weekend, she said she's heard something prior but couldn't replicate while I was in the van. I think I've got enough atf+4 laying around I may do a filter and fill to see if it will prolong until we are ready to purchase something else (was planning on it anyways later this year). If that doesn't work, looks like the spring break week I took off to play golf err to watch the kiddo's will possible also include laying in the driveway under a van.

So who wants to come to the Chattanooga area and help me change the transmission pump on my wife's '15 Town and Country...... Started whining like a mofo this weekend, she said she's heard something prior but couldn't replicate while I was in the van. I think I've got enough atf+4 laying around I may do a filter and fill to see if it will prolong until we are ready to purchase something else (was planning on it anyways later this year). If that doesn't work, looks like the spring break week I took off to play golf err to watch the kiddo's will possible also include laying in the driveway under a van.
15, how many miles...100000?

15, how many miles...100000?
Little over 200k. Has had all the 3.6 issues, I had to pull the left head for a bad exhaust valve, replaced 1 cam for some lob wear, all the lifters on both heads due to some starting to tick, oil cooler failed (replaced with an all aluminum unit) and that leaky Y section on the heater hose.

Little over 200k. Has had all the 3.6 issues, I had to pull the left head for a bad exhaust valve, replaced 1 cam for some lob wear, all the lifters on both heads due to some starting to tick, oil cooler failed (replaced with an all aluminum unit) and that leaky Y section on the heater hose.
I haven't rebuilt since my days back in late 70s. Yep, I'm old

20240313_144830.jpg

I did not winterize my boat and now I am paying the price. Effing boats 😡

How cold did it get?
It was in Feb 2021 but it got into single digits and stayed below freezing for three days straight. That's cold for Houston Texas. The power went out at my house for two days. Had some broken pipes and water damage in the house. Didn't realize my boat engine block was cracked until a few weeks ago when I got it out of long term storage.

It was in Feb 2021 but it got into single digits and stayed below freezing for three days straight. That's cold for Houston Texas. The power went out at my house for two days. Had some broken pipes and water damage in the house. Didn't realize my boat engine block was cracked until a few weeks ago when I got it out of long term storage.
The Freeze Plugs didn't save it?

The Freeze Plugs didn't save it?
"freeze plugs" are actually there to facilitate the removal of the casting sand after the block is cast. The fact that they can save a block from from damage if the coolant freezes is secondary, they weren't designed specifically to do so, and therefore aren't terribly efficient at doing so.

"freeze plugs" are actually there to facilitate the removal of the casting sand after the block is cast. The fact that they can save a block from from damage if the coolant freezes is secondary, they weren't designed specifically to do so, and therefore aren't terribly efficient at doing so.
They saved my 72 Sebring that had been towed when my Brother told me it was stolen, instead of him parked where he shouldn't have. He's a Whole different story. 😞

Twin 4.3s in my Searay were Bullet Proof, Knock on Fiberglass. Boat upkeep didn't get me, it was the Slip Fees
4.3 is a stout engine. Really just a V8 with two cylinders lopped off. Back in the early 90s I had a couple of 4.3L S-10s with superchargers in them. ( I hate turbo lag. Lol) making north of 550hp, they never grenaded a bottom end.

Bought an old F350 a few years back for basically nothing that had lived a hard life pulling trailers for a transfer and storage company. Have been working on fixing and replacing things here and there to get it back in shape. Had the brakes basically redone last week and the front end today. Wish I had more mechanical knowledge because the parts needed for the front end were pretty minimal. After this I get to buy a new set of tires for it, ugh.

Any cheap recommendations for a farm truck that doesn't see much highway use?

Bought an old F350 a few years back for basically nothing that had lived a hard life pulling trailers for a transfer and storage company. Have been working on fixing and replacing things here and there to get it back in shape. Had the brakes basically redone last week and the front end today. Wish I had more mechanical knowledge because the parts needed for the front end were pretty minimal. After this I get to buy a new set of tires for it, ugh.

Any cheap recommendations for a farm truck that doesn't see much highway use?
Tire size?

Back