Tiger Thinks He's Still the Best

Also, for the most part, socially acceptable behavior is very similar in different areas of the country. I've lived all over the country, in poor and rich neighborhoods, and acting out like a child in public wasn't ever something I saw readily accepted. Also, there is a big difference between what is acceptable in a bar vs on public TV and most people know what it is.

Many pros have slammed clubs on TV, thrown clubs in the water, broken clubs over their knees....cursing and slamming a club is not a tantrum. A grown man banging a putter up against his head so hard that the metal bends is a tantrum. I was making no excuses for his behavior, I was just listing things that couldve contributed to his acting that way. I clearly said in my post, "that I wasnt justifying his actions", I was just coming up with alternate theories, but I must say that if you can get so many great qualties from an upbringing there has to be a few bad ones you learned along the way. Sidenote: Is it 5 yet? Im ready to go home...

hey man, leave the Joizy Shure outta this! lol

this thread is all over da place....when I started this thread I had no idea I'd see references to pro wrestling, the Jersey Shore, God, or the Bible

note to self....avoid starting Tiger threads that aren't about his golf game, etc.

God, I would have swore I read all of this before. Listen, it's cool to like Tiger. I actually like watching him play well and hope he can get back to form, but I don't know that defending his bad actions is a very rational way to think about it. I think it screams fandom and lack of objectivity. There's nothing good about slamming a club down on the ground or swearing on live TV. Whether you want to admit it or not, TW is a role model to children. With that comes responsibility. He's recognized it, but some of his die hard fans seem to have a problem with it. Golf isn't Pro Wrestling or The Jersey Shore.

hey man, leave the Joizy Shure outta this! lol

this thread is all over da place....when I started this thread I had no idea I'd see references to pro wrestling, the Jersey Shore, God, or the Bible

note to self....avoid starting any and all Tiger threads

FIFY :)

I dont care what the religion or bible talk was for, it is not allowed on THP outside of the debate room. For the record, not everybody uses the same bible.

If I watched my father beat people up and then got into fights and beat people up and dad never said it was bad, does that make it socially acceptable? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Learning from your peers and parents is a character trait that we all do, however just because it is done does not mean it is okay. The part that I find the best about this....IS THAT THE MAN HIMSELF SAID ITS NOT!

What do you expect Tiger to say seriously? What is he suppose to say? He has to give the politically correct answer. He has to give the answer that everyone is expecting him to say, everyone already sees him as a cheating arrogant a**, which is really exactly what he is, if he got up there and said this is how I am deal with it, that wouldnt be smart buisness wise and we all know Tiger is definitley smarter than most. "Actions speak louder than words" and Tiger's actions say I'm going to do what I want and apologize later. Now the other part, I have mentored kids who think its socially acceptable to do alot of things that I would never do, do we learn from peers? Yes, but we learn the most from the people that we admire and look up to, correct? JB, hypothetically speaking, if you were raised in the MOB or gang family and saw violence everyday, wouldnt that be understood as "socially" acceptable where you come from? Every mobster or gangster, ever interviewed has said it was the way I understoood life to be or thats how I was taught. Once again I was offering alternate theories of why he might act that way, not justifying his actions. Tiger has shown he is going to do what he wants and as I stated in my first post it doesnt bother me.

I'm confused. Are you saying Tiger is a liar, somebody who can't control his actions, or both?

JB, hypothetically speaking, if you were raised in the MOB or gang family and saw violence everyday, wouldnt that be understood as "socially" acceptable where you come from?

Socially acceptable? Ummm. No.

I'm confused. Are you saying Tiger is a liar, somebody who can't control his actions, or both?

That is exactly what I took out of it. Im thinking cannot control actions and does not care is what I took from that. "Do what I want and apologize later." Sounds awesome!

Judging by the way he plays the media and his off course actions, I would say both. He has always said he would change his antics on course but every tournament, he does the same things, do you honestly think Tiger JUST REALIZED his actions were not acceptable? NO WAY! But also remember, that I am one of the people not offended or saddened by his on course actions. I have forgiven Tiger, but have come to accept he is what he is, he is a man that told his wife he would be faithful but he wasnt, he tells the media he knows his actions are wrong but yet he still does them,....I was offering ALTERNATIVE THEORIES as to why he is so set in the things that he does, NOT JUSTIFYING HIS ACTIONS, if from a child you were reinforced that no matter what you do it will be ok if you win, that will most definitely carry over into your adult hood, and one of Tiger's favorite sayings is what? "Winning will solve alot of things". Tiger got a pass from MAJORITY of people, not all, but the majority with his on course antics because he was WINNING. They might make a comment about it, but they would spin it to a positive thing, he would slam a club and they would say,"look how unhappy he is with that shot, he has so much emotion and passion" but now when he does it its,"look at that distasteful display". It was ok when he was winning but no longer and especially after the scandal. Tiger has always been reinforced that he can do whatever he wants long as he is winning, he doesnt get fined for his behaviors on course, they have created no rules to govern his actions. In tennis you can lose points and even a match if you keep swearing and throwing your racquet. It happened to Andre Agassi one time. Tennis is a gentlemans game. Tiger only cares about winning and pleasing the people who sign his checks! He will say anything and it will always be the answer that everyone is expecting. But again im not offended or saddended by his on course actions, I could careless, if thats the way he wants to act let him, his governing body is ok with it, why shouldnt I be? In the NFL they get fined for doing the slightest gestures. Golf says its Tiger let him do whatever he needs to do to win so we can be making alot of money again, what I always find funny on here is you guys talk about, a gentlemans game, the gentleman aspect of golf is the calling pentalies on yourself and acknowledging when your ball moves. Golf is in industry that is money driven now at the highest level, its not as pure as it use to be, if you dont believe that, your in a dream world. Golfers like Jim Furyk and G-Mac have their best years and what do they do? Change balls, shoes, maufatures, and everything, why? Because of the almighty dollar! It was time to cash in. But back to Tiger be saddened by the people who have the power to stop those things and choose to not do it.

Last edited:
But again im not offended or saddended by his on course actions, I could careless, if thats the way he wants to act let him, his governing body is ok with it, why shouldnt I be?

So, you need the PGA Tour to help you decide right from wrong? I don't know man. I know what's right and the way he acts on the course isn't right regardless of whether he gets fined or not. He didn't get fined for banging 120 women when he was married, but I know that was wrong too.

He didn't get fined for banging 120 women when he was married, but I know that was wrong too.

Well, he did lose about 100 million...but I heard he gets free pie from Perkins...and they have good pie.

haha :D

Well, he did lose about 100 million...but I heard he gets free pie from Perkins...and they have good pie.

So, you need the PGA Tour to help you decide right from wrong? I don't know man. I know what's right and the way he acts on the course isn't right regardless of whether he gets fined or not. He didn't get fined for banging 120 women when he was married, but I know that was wrong too.

In every other sport, when inside the ropes they have rules that dictate how one should carry themselves, why cant golf do that? Once again we all know that it is wrong to take vows and break them. And I was just saying if they dont care then why should I? The PGA is the one putting that product out there, especially since they know almost every shot of Tigers will be shown on TV, every other sport controls the way their product is presented to the masses, Tiger cursing and throwing golf clubs just doesnt bother me. I for one would never act like that, for one I dont want to look like an a** who hit a bad shot and tried to blame the club for it, number 2 I would never embarass my name and my parents. I like to think of it like this I hate when people dont wear a belt and have their pants so low that you can see their underwear, I seriously think that they should write tickets for that, but if someone wants to wear their pants to the back of their thighs its fine with me, I will let them look like the a** all day, as long as its not me. In some cultures, it is socially acceptable to wear your pants like that, even considered kool.

And I was just saying if they dont care then why should I?

That's something that's up to you dude. I care enough to talk about it bothering me here. It bothers me just the same way as it would if I saw a playing partner doing it.

You're right that it's cool to wear your pants low in some peoples' minds and it looks bad to others, but wearing your pants low is not the same as cursing on live TV and slamming clubs when you are a role model to children that are watching your every move.

In every other sport, when inside the ropes they have rules that dictate how one should carry themselves, why cant golf do that?

They do? Outside of uniform (team game), Im not sure that is correct.

I have never heard an NFL player swear on a live broadcast. Ever.

I have never heard an NFL player swear on a live broadcast. Ever.

Many golfers dont swear on tv either, yet its not in the rules. There is no NFL rule that I know that says you must not swear. Keep in mind where Mics are located too.

That's something that's up to you dude. I care enough to talk about it bothering me here. It bothers me just the same way as it would if I saw a playing partner doing it.

You're right that it's cool to wear your pants low in some peoples' minds and it looks bad to others, but wearing your pants low is not the same as cursing on live TV and slamming clubs when you are a role model to children that are watching your every move.

In the sense that it makes you look bad its the same, I would also venture that Tiger letting off an F bomb would not be the first time a kid hears the word, and any parent that lets THEIR CHILD immitate that kind of behavior, thats the problem, THE PARENT is not doing his/her job, if Tiger does that while you are watching golf with your child that should turn into a what you will not be doing moment, if Tiger is teaching anyones kids how to act then that person has failed as a parent. My dad hates showboating in sports, hates it, I was little made a touchdown started celebrating and spiked the ball, my dad took me out the game, said when you score you hand the ball to the ref, we dont do that, and he made sure I knew he was serious when we got home, never ever showboated again after that, at some point the parent is responsible for the child, right? Or is this the new age where parents let TV raise their kids and they just pay for stuff?

Last edited:
Ok kool but everything being the same, Tiger is still the 5th best player in the world and still does alot for golf. I am not a fan of his off course antics, I have a mother and 2 sisters, would never want someone to mistreat them in that way. I condone that in no way. But i also believe in that people can be forgiven because God forgives us, because we will never be perfect individuals. But i understand you more now because of your last post. Good discussion.

No he's not. He's ranked 5th in the world, but do you see how fast he's falling as events from two years ago drop off? He' not the 15th or 20th best player in the world today, IMO.

Many golfers dont swear on tv either, yet its not in the rules. There is no NFL rule that I know that says you must not swear. Keep in mind where Mics are located too.

Yeah I forgot the :sarcastic: emoticon.

Tennis? Yes! Tennis even has rules that dictate how big your logos can be on your shirts.

In the sense that it makes you look bad its the same, I would also venture that Tiger letting off an F bomb would not be the first time a kid hears the word, and any parent that lets THEIR CHILD immitate that kind of behavior, thats the problem, THE PARENT is not doing his/her job, if Tiger does that while you are watching golf with your child that should turn into a what you will not be doing moment, if Tiger is teaching anyones kids how to act then that person has failed as a parent. My dad hates showboating in sports, hates it, I was little made a touchdown started celebrating and spiked the ball, my dad took me out the game, said when you score you hand the ball to the ref, we dont do that, and he made sure I knew he was serious when we got home, never ever showboated again after that, at some point the parent is responsible for the child, right? Or is this the new age where parents let TV raised their kids and they just pay for stuff?

People let Tiger Woods raise their kids? Lots of trips to Perkins for pie and muffins!

No he's not. He's ranked 5th in the world, but do you see how fast he's falling as events from two years ago drop off? He' not the 15th or 20th best player in the world today, IMO.

He is the 5th best player in the world, I understand your opinion, but the ranking system which everyone doesnt agree upon but is used says he is the 5th best golfer in the world. That simple. Its a fact.

In the sense that it makes you look bad its the same, I would also venture that Tiger letting off an F bomb would not be the first time a kid hears the word, and any parent that lets THEIR CHILD immitate that kind of behavior, thats the problem, THE PARENT is not doing his/her job, if Tiger does that while you are watching golf with your child that should turn into a what you will not be doing moment, if Tiger is teaching anyones kids how to act then that person has failed as a parent. My dad hates showboating in sports, hates it, I was little made a touchdown started celebrating and spiked the ball, my dad took me out the game, said when you score you hand the ball to the ref, we dont do that, and he made sure I knew he was serious when we got home, never ever showboated again after that, at some point the parent is responsible for the child, right? Or is this the new age where parents let TV raised their kids and they just pay for stuff?

I would love the last 15 seconds of my life back. Is your latest debate side that kids dont try and emulate Tiger Woods? Because I could swear earlier in the thread you said that Nike Golf was built on him and people are buying things because of him. That would be emulation no?

Who's letting TV raise their child? I'm not. Just because it's my responsibility to teach my child right from wrong doesn't mean that I should accept that Tiger drops an F bomb during what should be a relatively family friendly event. We're talking golf here. Not a concert or a trip to the roller derby. I don't need Tiger to give me examples of what to tell my kid not to do.

He is the 5th best player in the world, I understand your opinion, but the ranking system which everyone doesnt agree upon but is used says he is the 5th best golfer in the world. That simple. Its a fact.

You said he is the fifth BEST player in the world, not the fifth RANKED player. Not the same thing. When's the last time he won? Woudn't the fifth BEST player in the world win more than, say, never in the last say, 500 days or so?

In every other sport, when inside the ropes they have rules that dictate how one should carry themselves

Tennis? Yes! Tennis even has rules that dictate how big your logos can be on your shirts.

So does golf dude. But you mean to tell me that you have not seen any cursing outbursts or equipment slamming in tennis? Really? I am pretty sure you might want to watch more. Pretty sure you just said "every other sport", Id love to hear these other sports.

Back