UST Mamiya RECOIL DART Shafts

I’m picking up mine tomorrow. I can’t wait to swing these recoil darts. Everything I’ve heard sounds incredible with these!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these. Put the last two shafts in this morning and then I can re-grip and hopefully hit these later this week.

NIce! What did you end up with and what irons are they going in?
I ended up with the 105 f5 (x) going into the rogue st pros!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these. Put the last two shafts in this morning and then I can re-grip and hopefully hit these later this week.
Excited to see your thoughts too! Of course when I’m getting them tomorrow they are calling for rain the next few days so will probably go to a simulator and get some numbers and also try to dial in my yardages!

Oh, that's a great sounding setup. Right in time for Shaft Up too.
Absolutely! I need to make sure I get some time in with them so I know what they do! Haha I really liked the feel and forgiveness with rogue st pro. Looking forward to gaining a little more peak height and better decent angle with the recoil darts!

These just got in, and I'm so excited to have the Darts in hand, and can't wait to get them on course. Went with the 105 F4's, and paired them with the Callaway Apex Pro/CB combo.

I agree with you on seeing a higher launch in my fairway wood and hybrid (Ai Smoke) from the Recoil Darts. I have a set of Recoils F4 110 Proto’s laying around. Would I lose a benefit by putting these in a set of irons versus just going Darts through the entire bag?
IIRC the Protos are a bit stiffer to flex and will probably launch a little lower. @JB and @Jman can correct me if I’m wrong and probably add additional info.

Recoils are all installed on my Apex DCBs. 90g in 5-AW and 105 in 56 and 60 CB wedges.
1000011728.jpg
Grips go on tonight and then we're hitting this weekend.

1000011729.jpg

I picked up my reshafted Dynapower Forged and CBX4's last night. Only had a very brief chance to swing them.

This was the recommendation @DannyLe made for me based off info I gave him.
  • 6-GW in DART 90 F3
  • 54/58 in DART 105 F4 (both are 8 iron shafts)
I put them on my swing weight scale after I got home. I considered having the builder handle the swing weight, but decided I'd just add tape if needed on my own. I was very pleasantly surprised to see all the irons we in D4 range. The wedges are closer to D2 and may need a little tape, but we'll see. Very consistent swing weights across the board though and they feel GREAT in hand. Also look great, as you might expect. Will get some pics up eventually.

Again, limited time yesterday, but my very short practice session showed I gained a couple mph of swing speed with the 9 iron. Not only that, but it was easy swing speed. Just felt smooth and easy to swing. Will look deeper into the numbers as we go on.

I picked up my reshafted Dynapower Forged and CBX4's last night. Only had a very brief chance to swing them.

This was the recommendation @DannyLe made for me based off info I gave him.
  • 6-GW in DART 90 F3
  • 54/58 in DART 105 F4 (both are 8 iron shafts)
I put them on my swing weight scale after I got home. I considered having the builder handle the swing weight, but decided I'd just add tape if needed on my own. I was very pleasantly surprised to see all the irons we in D4 range. The wedges are closer to D2 and may need a little tape, but we'll see. Very consistent swing weights across the board though and they feel GREAT in hand. Also look great, as you might expect. Will get some pics up eventually.

Again, limited time yesterday, but my very short practice session showed I gained a couple mph of swing speed with the 9 iron. Not only that, but it was easy swing speed. Just felt smooth and easy to swing. Will look deeper into the numbers as we go on.
Im looking forward to following this journey. I think you are going to like them.

Im looking forward to following this journey. I think you are going to like them.
I'm really curious where the added swing speed came from. I don't think the small difference in weight would cause that, but maybe. Part of me thinks I'm able to release the club a little easier or it's just unloading better for me. Whatever it is, I'm all for it.

Of course, maybe it's just an anomaly, but I'm very familiar with what those numbers normally are for me and it was immediately noticeable.

I'm really curious where the added swing speed came from. I don't think the small difference in weight would cause that, but maybe. Part of me thinks I'm able to release the club a little easier or it's just unloading better for me. Whatever it is, I'm all for it.

Of course, maybe it's just an anomaly, but I'm very familiar with what those numbers normally are for me and it was immediately noticeable.
Most likely its a combination of all of them. When I dropped down to 95 and then 90, I gained some speed. I assumed it wasn't weight, but I think it is a factor. But knowing the weight is lighter, PLUS the ability in knowing that its stable to hold up despite that weight creates something for me.

Most likely its a combination of all of them. When I dropped down to 95 and then 90, I gained some speed. I assumed it wasn't weight, but I think it is a factor. But knowing the weight is lighter, PLUS the ability in knowing that its stable to hold up despite that weight creates something for me.
Funny you mention stability because my biggest concern was they'd be too stable/firm. I think the F3 is pretty much right in the sweet spot for me.

Some more early thoughts after another little session yesterday afternoon.

Again, 2mph (and sometimes 3mph) with full iron swings. I'm still building into a functional full-send swing right now (in other words, it's still slow), but this is giving me something to be excited about. I'm hitting the DP Forged farther than I was with steel shafts by a pretty decent margin.

With the irons (DART 90), launch is a tick higher and spin is a little lower. This fluctuates based on my ability to execute swing changes. Bad swings launch higher and spin less. Good swings are right in the window I'm used to.

So easy to swing. I don't feel like I'm trying to do anything different, but I'm gaining without any additional effort.

Second, I wanted to touch on the DART 105 F4 that went into my 54/58 degree wedges. Again, these are 8 iron shafts. This was a recommendation from Danny Le at UST and I wouldn't have thought to go this route. I don't want to say I was worried about the effects of this choice, but I didn't want to change a lot about how my partial wedges performed in general.

I always default to the swing that produces a 70-75 yard shot for my baseline of performance with wedges. I'm very familiar with what to expect here.

This was with a CBX4 54/Chrome Tour. Very happy with this performance.
IMG_9171.JPG

Got out in the backyard to hit these with the Apex CB. Only hit 3/4 PW's, but overall loved the feeling, and the control I felt I had. Can't wait to get some full swings in!

My new Ai Smoke HL irons should be here any day now. The MMT's have been good, but as someone pointed out in this thread or another, they are a bit muted in the way the feel. Can't wait to try the Darts on course and see how/if my game changes. (Hopefully for the better!)

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but these shafts are worth every penny! SOOOOO Good! Gonna be hard to kick these out of whatever irons and wedges are in my bag moving forward.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but these shafts are worth every penny! SOOOOO Good! Gonna be hard to kick these out of whatever irons and wedges are in my bag moving forward.
Is this your first time with graphite iron shafts?

Is this your first time with graphite iron shafts?
I had them in my 21 Standard Apex, so I guess yes since I moved from those irons to the 24 pros.

I had them in my 21 Standard Apex, so I guess yes since I moved from those irons to the 24 pros.
Nice to find something that works!

I'm very much looking forward to sharing my first experience with graphite in my irons.

I've got a Dart 75 3i shaft. It should be a decent hybrid shaft, right?

Some of it is swing work (well, a lot of it is swing work), but since installing the DART 90's I am seeing swing speeds I haven't seen in a long time. Topping out 4-6mph higher than my previous baseline. Not blazing speed, but functional and useful in the sense I should be able to play golf this season. As these new movements become more comfortable I expect that to increase even more. Even knowing that the swing work is a major factor, things aren't that different than they were a 10 days ago, which kind of begs the question of why now? Again, not sure if it's the weight, a better fit, better unloading, or if I'm just more confident/comfortable swinging with these shafts.

Made a last minute decision to skip out on work this afternoon. It's gonna be 68 here this afternoon and the rest of the week looks too rainy (or busy) for me to get outside and play. Finally finished gripping the wedges last night so looking forward to giving these shafts a go. Will report back later.

Made a last minute decision to skip out on work this afternoon. It's gonna be 68 here this afternoon and the rest of the week looks too rainy (or busy) for me to get outside and play. Finally finished gripping the wedges last night so looking forward to giving these shafts a go. Will report back later.
Great decision, always the best days on the course! Enjoy, and look forward to how these play for you!

Back