UST Mamiya RECOIL DART Shafts

Finally found some time to play a quick 9 holes with the Recoil Dart shafts this afternoon. Kind of windy, but 65 degrees and beautiful out there so I decided to play some hooky from work and put these new shafts through their paces. Put these into my Callaway Apex DCBs (5-AW at 90g) and my Callaway CB wedges (54/60 at 105g).

Prior to this I played Recoil Dart 75g shafts and DG Spinner steel shafts in the wedges. I got these shafts because of the UST Mamiya Shaft Up #1 event coming up at Victoria National in a few weeks. Really huge thanks you to THP and @DannyLe for these things. I finally got the last few grips on my clubs yesterday when the weather turned warm enough again. They were all dry and ready for their maiden voyage this afternoon.

So why go heavier? I honestly got the idea from a free Paradym AI Smoke fitting event. As the fitter was getting a driver set up for me to hit he handed me an AI Smoke 7 iron with a 115g DG shaft in it to get loose. I don't think I'd ever hit a shaft that heavy but I was hitting shots farther than I've ever hit a 7 iron before. That set a light bulb off in my head and got me thinking about going heavier. Since December of 2022 I've lost 56lbs to date. I've really ramped up the weight lifting to use it as a tool to lose weight, stay fit and feel better. I feel stronger than I've felt in probably 20 years and it shows. In the last 6 months alone I can just tell I have more strength when I hit shots on a simulator and elsewhere. So that got me thinking maybe the inconsistency in my game was because things were too light. I discussed this with Danny Le, sent him some swing videos and he agreed that 90 and 105 seemed more in my wheelhouse. He even said I had a fairly smooth swing and that blew my mind, LOL.

So I had a couple wedge shots early on. Par 5 into a crosswind (driver was great, fariway wood not so great) - had about 85 yards left for my third. I pulled out my 54 degree CB wedge. Last year I would've pulled my AW in that situation but I wanted to see what I could do. I hit a nice full shot, gave it a bit extra and saw a nice draw that worked it's way to the center of the green to about 20 feet. Felt great. Threw another ball down to see if it was a fluke. Hit that one a little more heel side, ended up left of the flag but almost exactly the same distance from the pin.

1000011891.jpg

That leads me to the thing I think I'm gonna see from the heavier shafts. Consistency. Last year with the lighter shafts I felt like I could lose control at times. Even though I hit them well for the most part, I just could see weird differences from time to time. These heavier shafts just feel more stable and more consistent than what I played previously. Now the Recoil Darts in general have been my favorite shaft for quite awhile now. They're so smooth, they give instant feedback and the golfer elbow issues I had previously have disappeared. None of that has changed after this first 9 holes with heavier weights. They still feel smooth and they still provide that feedback I love, maybe even more so.

1000011899.jpg

Another example I had today was a 5 iron shot on a dog leg left short Par 4 (280-ish yards) 17th hole. I dreaded hitting 5 iron last year on this hole. So inconsistent, in most case I'd just hit an easy UW because that club is so easy to square up. Ideal shot for this hole is something about 180 to 185, get a bit of roll and to get you to the corner and leave you about 80-90 yard wedge into the green. A younger me used to hit driver and cut the corner (over a corn field) but there's gotta be a lot of wind behind me to try that anymore. Hit two different shots. One pure perfect shot into the center of fairway putting me in the ideal position (85 out) and a second shot that I toed a bit and ended up just off the right fringe but still the same distance. Now I hit my 54 degree wedge last time at this distance, but going into a strong 15 mph wind in my face I chose the AW and hit an easy shot that left me about 12 feet. Actually made birdie on this hole.

Just kinda blown away by these iron shafts, again. I think it's gonna be a fun year.

Got the new setup out to the range today. Boy, this is going to play! The Recoil Darts and Apex Pro/CB combo felt fantastic, and ball flight backed it up. Long irons had enough height, but still piercing flight into a slight wind. Same with the short irons, nice high ball flight that didn't balloon in the wind. I hadn't been overly comfortable with the Pro 8i and 9i in the past, but this first range session with the CB's makes me feel like I'm really going to like going this direction, mainly because I felt I had more control of the club head. Looking forward to this season!

I won't say I was concerned, because I've played graphite shafted wedges in the past, but I was curious how the DART's would play for me in the CBX4's. I've done a bunch of partial swing testing that I'll eventually get around to detailing more here, but hadn't done any green side work. Well, in reality I haven't seen a golf course since November, so... yea.

I took the CBX4 54/58, both with an F4 105 (8 iron shaft).

A few things I noticed:

• More than enough weight. I always figure if I don't notice something, it's good. I didn't notice that they felt light, heavy, or anything other than good.
  • Really smooth and easy to swing from chips to pitches from the rough.
  • All the spin I could ask for and more in some cases. Won't say the shafts had a big part in that, but I was seeing excellent spin performance.
  • Responsive. Always able to feel where I was making impact. I was worried about this a bit ahead of time.
  • Consistent. Keep in mind this is the first time I've hit chip shots in 5 months, so it took a bit to dial in my touch, but even when I wasn't dialed I was dialed if that makes sense. In other words, I may have been 10 feet short of the pin for a round, but all five balls were 10 feet short.

Found some time at work on the simulator today. Took the 7 iron (Apex DCB with 90g Recoil shaft) so I could compare it to some recent swings with the 75g Recoil Darts. Didn't have a lot of time so I only worked with the 7 and my Driver.

Biggest takeaway wasn't that the 90s were longer, but they felt better and were more consistent than I was used to. By the time I got loose I was squaring up some really good shots and I was seeing numbers I liked to see. With the 75s I would see numbers all over the board but the 90s were consistent throughout and thats something I think will give me a lot of confidence this season.

The feedback and feel you get from well hit shots is addictive. Again. I come away impressed every time I hit these things. Really looking forward to some more course time with these.

Got a chance to sneak out for 18 holes yesterday with our normal Friday Fire Department foursome. I didn't play as well but I was still impressed with these shafts. I was hitting a lot of shots off the toe for some reason but I continue to be impressed with the feeling and feedback on these. Whether I hit them good or bad I know immediately.

Also another consistent day with distances. I'm starting to get a feel for what the heavier weights can do and what I need to do on my home course. Had a beautiful shot on a Par 3 that scooted just past the stick.

I just come back to the same feeling I had when I first tried the darts. Love everything about them and can't wait to play these all year. They pair really well with the Apex DCBs.

I just got this shaft in a set of PXG irons. Looking forward to seeing how they play. I went with 75g Reg flex.

Got a chance to sneak out for 18 holes yesterday with our normal Friday Fire Department foursome. I didn't play as well but I was still impressed with these shafts. I was hitting a lot of shots off the toe for some reason but I continue to be impressed with the feeling and feedback on these. Whether I hit them good or bad I know immediately.

Also another consistent day with distances. I'm starting to get a feel for what the heavier weights can do and what I need to do on my home course. Had a beautiful shot on a Par 3 that scooted just past the stick.

I just come back to the same feeling I had when I first tried the darts. Love everything about them and can't wait to play these all year. They pair really well with the Apex DCBs.
I have noticed a good amount of responsiveness as well. Not that I expected to just lose it altogether, but it was something I was curious about.

I have noticed a good amount of responsiveness as well. Not that I expected to just lose it altogether, but it was something I was curious about.
I'm wondering if it makes any sense that since I went with heavier weights I can feel the responsiveness more? I know at times last year in the 75 darts I could lose it at times, but then again my body went through a bunch of change last year with weight loss and some muscle gain.. In just 27 holes this year I just feel more confident in what I'm going to see and even though I'm still trying to get a feel for distance, the feedback seems to be there more with the heavier shafts.

I'm wondering if it makes any sense that since I went with heavier weights I can feel the responsiveness more? I know at times last year in the 75 darts I could lose it at times, but then again my body went through a bunch of change last year with weight loss and some muscle gain.. In just 27 holes this year I just feel more confident in what I'm going to see and even though I'm still trying to get a feel for distance, the feedback seems to be there more with the heavier shafts.
Yea, I really don't know. I actually dropped about 15g weight going to the 90's. Interestingly, the swing weight out heavier than before, which I'm fan of.

Read Below ⤵️
IMG_3057.jpeg
Got my first round in with my new Recoil Dart V I have the 105 F5 (xstiff) in some rogue st Pros and I was doing exactly what the name suggested. Throwing darts at the pins. Okay not everyone but more so than not today.

I have never played with graphite shafts in irons before so this was new. I felt like I had more control with my hands and was able to “feel” where the head was which allowed me to ultimately have better timing.

I felt like the ball was launched higher which I prefer and also gave me a better decent angle into greens. Hit a par 3 today that I felt normally would have rolled off the green but this was stuck.

Normally I would feel like I need a decent amount of time to get used to a club. This was super easy to adapt to but more so just fall in love with right away. I’m a big fan of these shafts and can’t believe I’ve never had them before this. Steel are a thing of the past now ✌️

If I just trust my tempo, I get so much from the Dart 105’s in my ‘24 Apex Pros

If I just trust my tempo, I get so much from the Dart 105’s in my ‘24 Apex Pros
It’s so true, I had to tell myself the clubs will do the work, smooth and timing

Have 75 gram reg flex in my 3-5 d9 Forged that I use in a mixed set. Great shafts.
They are truly so much better than I imagined. I’m in love with my set!

Had these out today in the Apex 21. Love the feel! May be a reshaft coming for the CBs.

I was able to get to the range yesterday to have a get to know you session with the new irons. I like the feel of the Recoil shaft. Can definitely feel a difference from the Modus 120's I was playing. Even on some thin shots I hardly noticed an sting in the hands, the shaft did a good job of absorbing it

I’m in a hard ponder on reshafting these Paradym irons, since I think I’m going to keep them in the bag. Recoil Dart 90 F4 is what I’m pondering.

These shafts are the best that I've had in any iron ... period. So consistent & the ability to tell where the head is in the swing, is a game changer

I’m in a hard ponder on reshafting these Paradym irons, since I think I’m going to keep them in the bag. Recoil Dart 90 F4 is what I’m pondering.
Does recoil dart come as a stock option with the Paradym irons? I’m sold haha

These shafts are the best that I've had in any iron ... period. So consistent & the ability to tell where the head is in the swing, is a game changer
Without a doubt. Amazing how it allows you to feel it well, then get your timing right. 1 round in and a huge improvement but I am loving it

Back