Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

There are some great updates in here, well done everyone! CL that was a great post. Hard to explain things that.just.work sometimes isn't it?

Dang so now i have to go practice left handed!...LOL I am glad they are working out for you and looking forward to seeing you hit them at the Rocky Mountain get together in May.

Wolf, if you want to try these out there are going to be Demo Days at Overland in Denver on 04/16 and at Kennedy in Aurora on 04/17

For anyone else wanting to try them out, you can check out all the Wilson Staff Demo days here http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/events/?page=1&resultsPerPage=10 and see if there is one in your area

There are some great updates in here, well done everyone! CL that was a great post. Hard to explain things that.just.work sometimes isn't it?

LOL impossible for me. I had so much more to say but the kids needed breakfast

Fat shafts! Im really becoming a believer in them. They just work and seem to work really well too. I think the shafts have been something that has really surprised me the most about these irons.

So is my wife!

So I went and looked at my stats from last year to this year and thought it was pretty startling to say the least. Last year I started with Adams Pro Black MB's which are a very nice set of blades. Played some good golf with them but felt like I needed more forgiveness for those off days. Sold those and went with the Ping G15's. Loved those irons. Really felt that I hit the ball a lot better with them and had no intentions of switching at all until this testing came up. So that brings me to 2/19 which is when I made the switch to the Di11's. I think the results speak for themselves.
Adams:
3/11/10--Olde Liberty--85
5/15/10--Olde Liberty--90
10/16/10--Falls Village--99

Pings:
10/20/10--Knights Play(Par 3)--64
10/24/10--Falls Village--92
11/14/10--Olde Liberty--95
11/20/10--Falls Village--88
1/30/11--Olde Liberty--91

Wilsons:
2/19/11--Wendell--84
2/27/11--Wendell--87--Should have been a lot better if not for getting hit up on
3/5/11--Heritage--88--2 blow up holes or this would have been low 80's/70's
3/13/11--Wendell--84
3/19/11--Keith Hills--83

I am kind of shocked quite honestly. I didn't realize how bad I was scoring with the Pings. I am not what would be considered an accurate player but my last 2 rounds I've hit 55.6% GIR which is amazing for me.

Courtney I believe this is all about confidence but I believe some of the confidence is from the added distance. Because the Di11's are longer I can take shorter clubs into greens. Some will say that I am still hitting a 6 iron but it just says 7 on the bottom. I really have no comeback to that as that might be true. But my brain is seeing a 7 iron in my hand and I am far more confident hitting 7 over 6. Plus I really do think the fat shafts are helping on my mishits. A few weeks ago I hit a shot completely off the toe. I posted a picture on here showing the ball mark on the face and it clearly shows that I hit the ball so far off the toe that it was not even in the groove area. Yet this ball ended up 10 feet from the pin. These clubs do exactly what W/S say they do plus I have found that I can hit pretty much any type of shot that is needed. High/low left/right is not too big a problem with these. I am a pretty confident golfer right now

Chunky, these 2 posts are awesome!! It is incredible to see how these irons are making you more confident over the ball and also scoring better. THanks for your time on this. You and the other testers are doing a great job!

Also, I think it speaks volumes for this club to hit one that far out on the toe and have that kind of result. hmmmm....pondering some Di11's!

First time poster here. I believe Smooth was lurking around another site and responded to a Di11 question I posted and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks much.

So I had an opportunity to hit the Di11 at a local demo day this past weekend. I had gone to the demo just to get my hands on this club. I have always been an admirer of W/S and think they are on their way back to the top. Anyway...I tried the uniflex fat shaft first and the Rep forced the half and half upon me. Man, that shaft is powerful. It is a very odd sensation how the club loads and releases into the ball. It is amazing.

So now I have a new obsession, getting a new set of these. I also have a new problem, getting these past the wife. I've also got some legitimate questions and concerns:

1. The half and half come in three flavors. Has anyone tried all three? I'm 36 yo and have a driver ss of around 97. Is the standard uniflex going to suffice or should I go with the stiff?
2. I'm also on the short side and am concerned with the overall club length. I know W/S can custom order +/- 2" and 2 degrees of lie. How much over standard are these clubs. I play 1/2 under standard.
3. I've also wondering how to round out the bottom half of the set seeing as how these lofts are all jacked. Although it seems that most have that figured out all ready.

Appreciate the input.

So, you could definetively say these are the best irons on the market?

Nope. I would not say any irons are definitively the best irons on the market. But I will say that of the irons that I've hit recently I can hit just about any shot I want to with these irons and I am scoring better then I have in years. I am very happy with these irons. I will definitively say that anyone looking for irons should hit these. They are very good and they are the best irons FOR ME. Try them though Courtney and I think you will like them. I know your wallet will like them

First time poster here. I believe Smooth was lurking around another site and responded to a Di11 question I posted and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks much.

So I had an opportunity to hit the Di11 at a local demo day this past weekend. I had gone to the demo just to get my hands on this club. I have always been an admirer of W/S and think they are on their way back to the top. Anyway...I tried the uniflex fat shaft first and the Rep forced the half and half upon me. Man, that shaft is powerful. It is a very odd sensation how the club loads and releases into the ball. It is amazing.

So now I have a new obsession, getting a new set of these. I also have a new problem, getting these past the wife. I've also got some legitimate questions and concerns:

1. The half and half come in three flavors. Has anyone tried all three? I'm 36 yo and have a driver ss of around 97. Is the standard uniflex going to suffice or should I go with the stiff?
2. I'm also on the short side and am concerned with the overall club length. I know W/S can custom order +/- 2" and 2 degrees of lie. How much over standard are these clubs. I play 1/2 under standard.
3. I've also wondering how to round out the bottom half of the set seeing as how these lofts are all jacked. Although it seems that most have that figured out all ready.

Appreciate the input.

First off outstanding name! Plus welcome to THP. I think I can answer some of your questions
1) Although I've not tried the halfs I am playing the Uniflex and my driver SS is 100-103. The Uniflex is performing wonderfully for me. It's all about tempo.
2) I am on the midget side(5'4") and I have quickly gotten used to the longer lengths of these shafts. I will say that the longer irons are giving me a little trouble but I think I just need to practice a little bit more
3) I am playing a 56/60 combo after the GW which is 46.5. I am contemplating a 52/58 combo but I will say I have not really run into any trouble so far with my 56/60 combo

By the way thanks everyone for the kind words. I really have enjoyed my time with these clubs and putting them through the paces. My fellow testers have really done an outstanding job and I'm just trying to keep up.

I think these are great clubs but are they the best on the market? Maybe. I think thats subjective and different for everyone. I do think they highly underrated and just as good as most other sets out there.

Appreciate the input.

Welcome to THP. Glad you made it by and posted in this thread. Ive loving the Di11's up to this point. As for your questions:

1. I have not hit the half and halfs so I dont know this one but the uniflex should be more then sufficient. They actually dont come in a stiff even though its listed on the W/S page
2. Im 5'9 and I have no issues with club length but a fitting would solve this for you if possible
3. I kept the Di11 GW in the bag and I quite like it. So I kicked out my 50* wedge and also the 60* wedge too. He was kind of like an innocent bystander in a drive by lol. Im very happy with that set up so far.

Chunky....I was wondering if the Di11 uniflex is anything like the Callaway uniflex shaft? Maybe OEM could answer that as well? My one buddy said he hit these the other day and said the uniflex felt great. I know he has a fast swing speed just from watching him, SO.....does this uniflex lean more towards the stiff side or the regular side??

As CL pointed out, it is somewhat subjective,what I can say definetively is these are the best set of irons for me on the market. When they had the golf expo here in Feb. I tried the Cobra S3 irons, I tried the Ping K15 and G15 iron and the Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons. All were excellent clubs, all were high quality materials and you could tell someone spent alot of late nights racking their brains to put out a product of this quality, but after I hit the W/S Di11's the first time I just knew they were the right irons for me. I hit them further, straighter and with less effort than any of the other 3 game enhancement sets I tried.

It's like getting married, when you meet the right one you know it.

Appreciate the input.

Sorry I'm getting here late to answer questions, I was out playing a round with these. I am playing the Half&Half, so if what I say doesn't answer your question completely fell free to kick me in the bum and demand more answers.

1. The half and half come in three flavors. Has anyone tried all three? I'm 36 yo and have a driver ss of around 97. Is the standard uniflex going to suffice or should I go with the stiff? I would say in all honesty that it depends alot on your current swing. Do you muscle the ball or do you have a rhythmic swing? If you tend to muscle it, I would say go with the stiff shaft, if however you have an even, rhythmic swing then I would suggest you go with the Uniflex shaft. I am playing the Half&Half with the Uni shaft and the way it builds power is amazing the more rhythmic your swing, the more powerful it becomes. as I said in previous posts it almost feels like you have something alive in your hands, you can feel the shaft coiling like a snake on the back swing and unleashing to strike on your downstroke.
2. I'm also on the short side and am concerned with the overall club length. I know W/S can custom order +/- 2" and 2 degrees of lie. How much over standard are these clubs. I play 1/2 under standard. They are 1/2" over standard, however instead of ordering them shorter I would suggest you take a 1/2 step back in your stance and fire them, you will be amazed at the results.
3. I've also wondering how to round out the bottom half of the set seeing as how these lofts are all jacked. Although it seems that most have that figured out all ready. I've added a 56* to the set and it seems to be working out very nicely.

Hope that helps, please feel free to kick me in the shins to get my attention if there is anything else I can answer for you

Chunky....I was wondering if the Di11 uniflex is anything like the Callaway uniflex shaft? Maybe OEM could answer that as well? My one buddy said he hit these the other day and said the uniflex felt great. I know he has a fast swing speed just from watching him, SO.....does this uniflex lean more towards the stiff side or the regular side??

I played the Callaway X-24's last year with the uniflex shafts. I think there is a night and day difference between them and the W/S fat shafts. I like the uniflex shafts in the Di11's quite a bit but didnt care for the Callaway uniflex at all. I think the Di11's are more stout and hold up much better. They've been a very pleasant surprise so far. I think theyre more stiff then regular.

Just got caught up reading this thread while I have been away and I have to say great job with all your points CL! I would agree with you OEM that the shafts are closer to stiff then Reg, but if you play a reg flex shaft you will have no problem loading these shafts.

I love my ci9s, I could only imagine these, I love how they are 1/2 over standard because I don't have to custom order

I love my ci9s, I could only imagine these, I love how they are 1/2 over standard because I don't have to custom order

I think youd really like the Di11's. Where are you playing at in DE? Played Rock Manor a few weeks ago.

I think youd really like the Di11's. Where are you playing at in DE? Played Rock Manor a few weeks ago.

I play the rock, decastle, deerfield, and white clay creek to name a few, sat ill be at broad run in pa, first week of my league

I have been playing GW to 56* & 60*. I really haven't missed a beat with that setup. That being said I'm considering going to a 52/58 CG16 set up to get my gaps a little more consistent.

I was thinking about making the same switch, I am going to find a place that is carrying W/S wedges though so I can take a look at them.

I was thinking about making the same switch, I am going to find a place that is carrying W/S wedges though so I can take a look at them.

Glad to hear it man, you will not be dissapointed. I'm playing 54* then 60* after the GW and am having no problems with the gapping.

Sorry I'm getting here late to answer questions, I was out playing a round with these. I am playing the Half&Half, so if what I say doesn't answer your question completely fell free to kick me in the bum and demand more answers.

1. The half and half come in three flavors. Has anyone tried all three? I'm 36 yo and have a driver ss of around 97. Is the standard uniflex going to suffice or should I go with the stiff? I would say in all honesty that it depends alot on your current swing. Do you muscle the ball or do you have a rhythmic swing? If you tend to muscle it, I would say go with the stiff shaft, if however you have an even, rhythmic swing then I would suggest you go with the Uniflex shaft. I am playing the Half&Half with the Uni shaft and the way it builds power is amazing the more rhythmic your swing, the more powerful it becomes. as I said in previous posts it almost feels like you have something alive in your hands, you can feel the shaft coiling like a snake on the back swing and unleashing to strike on your downstroke.
2. I'm also on the short side and am concerned with the overall club length. I know W/S can custom order +/- 2" and 2 degrees of lie. How much over standard are these clubs. I play 1/2 under standard. They are 1/2" over standard, however instead of ordering them shorter I would suggest you take a 1/2 step back in your stance and fire them, you will be amazed at the results.
3. I've also wondering how to round out the bottom half of the set seeing as how these lofts are all jacked. Although it seems that most have that figured out all ready. I've added a 56* to the set and it seems to be working out very nicely.

Hope that helps, please feel free to kick me in the shins to get my attention if there is anything else I can answer for you

Another great response Ron! You answered my questions without even addressing it. Cheers. I'm going to a demo day next weekend and am going to hit these for the hell of it, hopefully they have both the stiff and uniflex.

I think these are great clubs but are they the best on the market? Maybe. I think thats subjective and different for everyone. I do think they highly underrated and just as good as most other sets out there.

Welcome to THP. Glad you made it by and posted in this thread. Ive loving the Di11's up to this point. As for your questions:

1. I have not hit the half and halfs so I dont know this one but the uniflex should be more then sufficient. They actually dont come in a stiff even though its listed on the W/S page
2. Im 5'9 and I have no issues with club length but a fitting would solve this for you if possible
3. I kept the Di11 GW in the bag and I quite like it. So I kicked out my 50* wedge and also the 60* wedge too. He was kind of like an innocent bystander in a drive by lol. Im very happy with that set up so far.

I asked a W/S rep this morning about the stiff flex and he said both the wide tip and half+half shafts do come in stiff but, it is a custom order only shaft. Thats why they are not as easy to find as the uni's but, you can order them.

I asked a W/S rep this morning about the stiff flex and he said both the wide tip and half+half shafts do come in stiff but, it is a custom order only shaft. Thats why they are not as easy to find as the uni's but, you can order them.

Hmmmm?? So it sounds like I won't be hitting a stiff at the demo day afterall. I hope the uni is more closer to a stiff.

Hmmmm?? So it sounds like I won't be hitting a stiff at the demo day afterall. I hope the uni is more closer to a stiff.

Mardin I would say its closer to stiff than reg, and I don't see that many golfers would need to go to the stiff. Its been said by all the testers here that with a smooth swing, even one that would require stiff shafts, these shafts easily hold their own. I look forward to your thoughts after you get to hit them.

As for my Di11's, they get an exciting workout tomorrow. I'm playing Royal Colwood golf course which is one of the few golf courses around the world that has been given the Name "royal" from the Queen. I have wanted to play it for some time now, but as a fully private course I haven't had the opportunity, until a fellow THP'er happended to be a member there and has invited me for a round there tomorrow. It is a very tight course, that requires good iron play and I'm excited to see how the Di11's do on a course I have never played. Oh and it will be my first time playing IN A ALL LEFTY FOURSOME!!!! One of them is the head pro at the course and I'm looking forward to all of the other three gentlemens thoughts on these as well.

Back