Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Outstanding Sugar. I struggled a little at first with these but man once I hit my stride these were awesome.

Yep, it might take you a couple of range sessions to get used to the added length and how to set up, but once you do, you'll be crushing it.

Problem with leaving plastic covers on the face is the grooves do not re=act on the ball as in 'real' life.

You may find that 160 metres drops down 10-15 metres when you remove the plastic!

I know this, because that is exactly what has happened to me and my friend when we demoes and bought irons on the strength of the demo .. only to fin, the poorer performance later on.
Just attended Drummond Lawnton to collect new clubs. So very happy. Picked up boxes and they felt so light.

Took out 6 iron and tried it out on the performance machine. Left the plastic film on the club face. Went and hit 10 balls without much of a warm up. According to the machine I was hitting straight from the outset (long time sufferer with a bad fade (slice)). Couple of first hit were a bit tentative and were thin but as I git into it was pushing it out over 160 metres. For me this is great. I hope to be able to reproduce this on the course.

However the bad news is that I now have no time to go to range to check them out as I have to work for the next 9 days straight.

Will keep everyone up to date when I complete my first round. Thanks to all.:act-up:

Hi, new hear and had a quick question. I bought a set of the Di11's with the SL95 uiflex shafts, am I understanding correctly that the shafts in these arent standard .370 and cant be changed? Im really looking forward to trying them out should be here Saturday morning.

Hi, new hear and had a quick question. I bought a set of the Di11's with the SL95 uiflex shafts, am I understanding correctly that the shafts in these arent standard .370 and cant be changed? Im really looking forward to trying them out should be here Saturday morning.

No, they are the fat shafts, and cannot easily be swapped out. I will say however that they are great shafts and I don't think you will be needing to.

So I was able to try out the new irons on Sunday and all I can say is WOW! I hit a few at the range and had absolutely no problem adjusting to them right away. I've been playing Ping i5's (played R7's and Cally Berthas previously) and really like them but these were way more forgiving and a club to club and a half longer easy, plus these are great to look at from address. My driver SS is right around 100 and im a digger so I go down after the ball pretty aggressively and the uniflex shafts worked good for me. My index is 11.5 and I shot an 83 first time out with them so I was real happy with how they performed. My ball flight is low to medium but I had no problem getting these up higher than any other irons i've hit so far plus I could easily control the trajectoy with all the clubs. Now I just need to get a gap wedge to finish the set since my pitching wedge distance with these is more like my normal 9 iron plus some. What wedge would you guys recomend? Would rather get a blade style wedge than the matching gap wedge for the set, maybe a 46* or 48*??

:clap: Back again guys. as I said on 24/09/11 and true to me word I will give you my review of the Di11 irons after my first full round. The only word I can say is "FANTASTIC".

Today was wet and overcast with intermittent rain but I give a big thumbs up for these clubs. My putter is shot but the clubs performed beautiful. Our game was at Keperra Golf Club in Brisbane and due to rain was not the best. I felt I really didn't want to dirty these clubs but the round was on 4BBB Stab.

My regular partner was sick and I played with a mate who is recovering from illness. On one par 5 hole, through my own fault I ended up on behind the green of the next hole which was a long par 3. I decided to play up the fairway as we were the leading group with no-one ahead of us. I took out the hybrid 3 and hit it so sweet 190 metres to the tee box right at the white markers. I chipped back on the fairway but 2 putter for a six.

I went to the par 3 took out the hybrid again and hit it 15 feet past the pin 190+ metres, straight as an arrow. It felt so good as I usually have to use a old driver to get me this far. (1 don't hit fairway woods well but the hybrid suits me now just fine.

The distances are still a bit tricky. I parred the longest par 5 on the course with a good drive , a nice hybrid 3 to 100mts out. I usually had to hit a 9iron for this distance but took out the pitching wedge and put it over the flag and 20 ft from the pin. 1st putt was close but second in for a easy 5.

I know I have to work out a few more idiosyncrasies in my game but I am very happy today. These are really fine clubs.

So I was able to try out the new irons on Sunday and all I can say is WOW! I hit a few at the range and had absolutely no problem adjusting to them right away. I've been playing Ping i5's (played R7's and Cally Berthas previously) and really like them but these were way more forgiving and a club to club and a half longer easy, plus these are great to look at from address. My driver SS is right around 100 and im a digger so I go down after the ball pretty aggressively and the uniflex shafts worked good for me. My index is 11.5 and I shot an 83 first time out with them so I was real happy with how they performed. My ball flight is low to medium but I had no problem getting these up higher than any other irons i've hit so far plus I could easily control the trajectoy with all the clubs. Now I just need to get a gap wedge to finish the set since my pitching wedge distance with these is more like my normal 9 iron plus some. What wedge would you guys recomend? Would rather get a blade style wedge than the matching gap wedge for the set, maybe a 46* or 48*??

I would recommend the GW for this set. I absolutely loved that club. Welcome to THP!

Sugar great writeup man thanks for sharing.

I would recommend the GW for this set. I absolutely loved that club. Welcome to THP!

Sugar great writeup man thanks for sharing.

I'm with Chunkylover on this one - the gap wedge from the set is my favourite club. I'm glad I read the reviews on this site before buying the set otherwise I wouldn't have bought the GW otherwise.

Love to see that so many people found this thread useful. I really enjoyed the few times I hit these irons.

I'm with Chunkylover on this one - the gap wedge from the set is my favourite club. I'm glad I read the reviews on this site before buying the set otherwise I wouldn't have bought the GW otherwise.

Have to agree with everyone, I love the GW in this set.

Have to agree with everyone, I love the GW in this set.

Toss up between the Pitching Wedge and the 4I for me. Opposite ends of the spectrum but both just feel so good

Thanks for the advice guys. After playing a couple more rounds with these and looking at the loft gaps and considering that i've got a 52* and 56* allready, I decided to buy a Ci9 GW instead. The loft on the Ci9 is 48* so it fits good with what I have and im really struggleing with my 110-120 yardage. My PW is 125-135 and my 52* is 100-110 so this should work perfectly for me. Im really likeing the Di11's and have had no problem getting the yardages down, I just figure im a club longer with them than my other set and i've been real consistant even with just a few rounds.

May I put in my two penneth ?

After the great reviews here, I bought the Di11 irons with the half and half shafts. I have to say that although some guys love that shaft I hated it. It did not suit me at all in spite of my current and previous Clubs being graphite.

Cap in hand I returned them to my Pro who kindly swapped them over for the FATSHAFT set. The grips were aweful ....like holding hard bony pencils ! - so we changed those to my favourite Avon Chamois grips.

Off to the range and off to the course.

OMFG - HOW GOOD ARE THESE CLUBS! The fatshaft is sensational. I can feel the load and unload. The feel off the club face is so soft, almost Mizuno-like.

I am hitting soft 7 irons where I was hitting hard 6 irons before. 150 yard club was a good 6 iron, now it is a 7 all day long, with a slight breeze behind it is an 8. The ball flies high off the face but still penetrates to maximum distance.

I have had 5 rounds of golf with these - and have played below handicap to all but one round.

Today I had a gross 77, last weekend a gross 78.....2 at 80 and one rotter at 89 (PAR IS 70). My handicap is 12 and I honestly feel that I am going to hit every shot high, long and most importantly STRAIGHT.

Totally love these clubs and love the shaft. The uniflex idea does work and work well. Before you think about trying to change the shaft out, give it a chance - you may well be extremely and pleasantly surprised a to how good it is.

After the great reviews here, I bought the Di11 irons with the half and half shafts. I have to say that although some guys love that shaft I hated it. It did not suit me at all in spite of my current and previous Clubs being graphite.

Cap in hand I returned them to my Pro who kindly swapped them over for the FATSHAFT set. The grips were aweful ....like holding hard bony pencils ! - so we changed those to my favourite Avon Chamois grips.

OMFG - HOW GOOD ARE THESE CLUBS! The fatshaft is sensational. I can feel the load and unload. The feel off the club face is so soft, almost Mizuno-like.

I am hitting soft 7 irons where I was hitting hard 6 irons before. 150 yard club was a good 6 iron, now it is a 7 all day long, with a slight breeze behind it is an 8. The ball flies high off the face but still penetrates to maximum distance.

I have had 5 rounds of golf with these - and have played below handicap to all but one round.

Today I had a gross 77, last weekend a gross 78.....2 at 80 and one rotter at 89 (PAR IS 70). My handicap is 12 and I honestly feel that I am going to hit every shot high, long and most importantly STRAIGHT.

Totally love these clubs and love the shaft. The uniflex idea does work and work well. Before you think about trying to change the shaft out, give it a chance - you may well be extremely and pleasantly surprised a to how good it is.

Great update man, thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread. I never got to hit the half and half shafts, but I played with the steel fat shafts for almost a year and freaking loved those clubs. They launch high, far, and are crazy forgiving.

Great update man. I have to agree about the uniflex. It will surprise some people. Lot of guys won't give them a chance because of ego. I'm glad they are working for you.

Thanks guys - oh, and I forgot to add. Like many others on here I swapped the SW that would have come with the club for a GW. I can see why so many say that the GW is much needed and it is fast becoming my go to club in and around the greens.

I think I'm going to put these back in the bag for a little test for one of my next few rounds.

I think I'm going to put these back in the bag for a little test for one of my next few rounds.

Man, I did that not too long ago and they were spectacular as they always were.

Where can you get fit for these irons? I dont think standard lie fits me, no retailers near me stock these. I am in cincinnati.

Where can you get fit for these irons? I dont think standard lie fits me, no retailers near me stock these. I am in cincinnati.

As far as length and lie are concerned you can be fit for that anywhere and then order the irons built to your specs. Then the shaft option is all you really need to think about.

I have a like new set for sale! 4-PW, GW -> Steel uniflex shaft.

Played 9 holes and had 2 range sessions with them. They are in EXCELLENT condition.

Only reason I am selling is cause I have to have shoulder surgery and they will just collect dust for over a year. So, my dust collector could be someone's treasure.

PM me if you are interested.

My 15 year old son just started playing this summer. He has really taken a liking to the game. He is a lefty and is currently hitting old Burner Bubble LCG irons which don't seem to be helping him much. I can get some Di9's for under $100. Would you recommend spending the extra money on the Di11's or get the Di9s for $100? Thanks

I love the Di11's but it would be hard to pass up the 9's for under $100

best option would be to try both out.

I tried the Di9s when they first came out and they did not impress me at all - seemed quite middle of the road. The Di11s are IMO a very different 'animal'; more foregiving, easier to hit and a little longer. Having said that, only your son would be able to answer the question.

Back