Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Problem with the D series is that the shaft tips aren't standard size and switching shafts ain't happening. So you either like the stock shafts, or you have to switch irons!!! That's my biggest problem with the fat shaft technology.

Problem with the D series is that the shaft tips aren't standard size and switching shafts ain't happening. So you either like the stock shafts, or you have to switch irons!!! That's my biggest problem with the fat shaft technology.

Thats true and i also agree that is a problem but,the Di series is aimed at hi handicappers and i believe almost all hi cappers can adapt to atleast one of the widetip uniflex shafts and play great.The half+half shafts come with a standard tip so,you could go with them and switch if they didnt work.Options are there to make the Di series work for anybody having said that,Wilson Staff could make it much,much easier and they would be alot more popular if they did.I dont understand why they dont do that,the positives far outwiegh the negatives.

I agree with you on that. That being said, I played stiff shafts most of the time and these Uniflex shafts were very good for my game. That and I believe that graphite shafts will fit in their as well

This issue with the shafts is unfortunate because I was going to pick up CBs Di11s to put the KBS Tours I won in them. I hate that they wont fit. Search continues for some iron heads for these.

I went and hit these at a local golf store today. They are a very attractive club, that is for sure. I also thought that they felt great. Even when I hit the ball flat or thin it still felt like a nice clean solid hit (not sure if thats good or not). I liked them but at this time I do not think they are for me. I might give them another shot though because I really like the looks of them.

Thats true and i also agree that is a problem but,the Di series is aimed at hi handicappers and i believe almost all hi cappers can adapt to atleast one of the widetip uniflex shafts and play great.The half+half shafts come with a standard tip so,you could go with them and switch if they didnt work.Options are there to make the Di series work for anybody having said that,Wilson Staff could make it much,much easier and they would be alot more popular if they did.I dont understand why they dont do that,the positives far outwiegh the negatives.

Totally agree with you here, though here in Aussie it was no problem finding a store to demo them, after reading this thread it turned out I knew more about them then the shop assistant... Wilson staff just need to do a better job educating the public. Sites like this one are helping though, as in my case this thread was basically the first I had heard of the di11's and was a big part of why I bought them.

Gentlemen
Thank you for all the information supplied on this thread. Because of this information I yesterday attend Drummond Golf at Lawnton and had myself fitted for a set of DI11 Graphite Shafts.

I originally had a set of Wilson Fat Shaft Model 4 for the past few years with a steel shaft and the shaft s were starting to show considerable wear and tear although they were looked after very well. I needed a new set of clubs and after looking at several sets did some research on the web to come up with this thread. Thank you again for the honest forthright evaluations, criticisms and your now experienced points of view.

I must admit that I am a seasoned veteran at golf but like all hackers continued to buy clubs that fitted my budget not my game. Now I am older and able to afoord a better and fitted set of clubs I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

I have gone with the graphite shafts due to a shoulder and limited swing problem. This also necessiated a slight change to a 3 and 4 hybrid to may set to a pitching and approach wedge. The time put in by staff in helping me through the selection process was great and in the set up and machine I am happy with the projected results. The order has been sent away and now I hope to bring down my hadicap of 22 to possibly the middle teens.

I will post again after I have trialled the clubs.

welcome to THP and congrats on the new sticks! do let us know how you do with them as you get comfortable with them going forward

Gentlemen
Thank you for all the information supplied on this thread. Because of this information I yesterday attend Drummond Golf at Lawnton and had myself fitted for a set of DI11 Graphite Shafts.

I originally had a set of Wilson Fat Shaft Model 4 for the past few years with a steel shaft and the shaft s were starting to show considerable wear and tear although they were looked after very well. I needed a new set of clubs and after looking at several sets did some research on the web to come up with this thread. Thank you again for the honest forthright evaluations, criticisms and your now experienced points of view.

I must admit that I am a seasoned veteran at golf but like all hackers continued to buy clubs that fitted my budget not my game. Now I am older and able to afoord a better and fitted set of clubs I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

I have gone with the graphite shafts due to a shoulder and limited swing problem. This also necessiated a slight change to a 3 and 4 hybrid to may set to a pitching and approach wedge. The time put in by staff in helping me through the selection process was great and in the set up and machine I am happy with the projected results. The order has been sent away and now I hope to bring down my hadicap of 22 to possibly the middle teens.

The main problem I find with these irons is that no one carries them. Hard to get people playing them if they can't try them out.
Other than a couple of Demo days over the Summer at a couple of courses, not one store locally carries these clubs. Checked 3 different Golfsmiths, Golf Galaxy, Dicks and a local golf store and not one carries WS equipment.

I recently saw W/S irons at Dick's in my area. Both the Ci9's and Di11's. I wonder if they have finally worked something out to get them in the big-box stores?

Gentlemen

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Great purchace of the new sticks, You are going to love the Di11's, they are long, forgiving, consistent and overall just a great set of irons. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

The main problem I find with these irons is that no one carries them. Hard to get people playing them if they can't try them out.
Other than a couple of Demo days over the Summer at a couple of courses, not one store locally carries these clubs. Checked 3 different Golfsmiths, Golf Galaxy, Dicks and a local golf store and not one carries WS equipment.

When I purchased in April, they were very hard to find in northern VA. But now, Golfsmith, Dicks, Sports Authority, Golfdom and 1 club pro shop (where I purchased) carries them as well as the DXi series of clubs and the FG irons and wedges.

Gentlemen

Welcome to THP sugar. I think you are really going to enjoy these clubs. Super easy!

When I purchased in April, they were very hard to find in northern VA. But now, Golfsmith, Dicks, Sports Authority, Golfdom and 1 club pro shop (where I purchased) carries them as well as the DXi series of clubs and the FG irons and wedges.

I am finding them more accessable also,the Edwinn Watts in nashville has been carrying the whole w/s line but with limited shafts and sets so,if your swing didnt fit in the regular uniflex area you couldnt really test them.I went there a couple of days ago and they now have a complete w/s fitting cart with every shaft available on w/s clubs,including the elusive half+half stiff flex shaft.After only hearing about that shaft i finally got to hit it and it was a great experience,it is just an amazing shaft and seemed to fit my swing to a T.I am seriously considering the Di11's in the half+half stiff shaft now but i want to wait till the Ci11's come out first,i luv my Ci9's and the whole Ci series.It looks like w/s is FINALLY getting something done about the lack of availability,there is still ALOT of work they have to do tho.

has anyone compared the Uniflex shaft against the half and Half ?

I have demoed the fat shaft steel and really liked them - but have always used graphite in the past. So the half and half may be just what I want, but i cant find them anywhere for a demo.

I have demoed the fat shaft steel and really liked them - but have always used graphite in the past. So the half and half may be just what I want, but i cant find them anywhere for a demo.

One of the testers RonInThornton used the halfand half shafts for the testing and he just loved them, and I believe he was coming from playing Graphite only. I have only played the Uniflex steel shaft, and while I really liked them, I cannot help you with your question.

I have gamed the uniflex steel in a few different Di series irons and it holds up very well to fast and slower s.s.'s.I have not gamed the graphite uniflex or the half+half,i have only demoed them.The regular uniflex graphite is to whippy for me and the regular Half+Half balloons and goes into the clouds but the stiff half+half held up great for my s.s. (90) 6-iron when i demoed it a couple of days ago.I cant really answer your question because i have not gamed the stiff H+H but after demoing it,it definently has me very,very intrigued.I think it will hold up very well,i have to do further testing to know for sure tho.Sorry i cant be of more help but as long as you dont have a very hi s.s. the Half+Half will work,they are hard to find to demo tho.If there is a Edwinn Watts store close to you,they might have the fitting cart like the one close to me does,good luck!

Thanks for the replys guys.

What confuses me even more, is the Half and half is meant to be uniflex .. I cannot find any reference to regular or stiff.

I have tried the uniflex steel and really like it, but because of recurring tennis elbow I usually go with graphite. If the half and half play the same ,I was goig to try and get those .. but it is becoming hard to get definitive spec on the half and half.

I cannot find here in the U.K. any demo carts at all!!!

Thanks for the replys guys.

What confuses me even more, is the Half and half is meant to be uniflex .. I cannot find any reference to regular or stiff.

I have tried the uniflex steel and really like it, but because of recurring tennis elbow I usually go with graphite. If the half and half play the same ,I was goig to try and get those .. but it is becoming hard to get definitive spec on the half and half.

I cannot find here in the U.K. any demo carts at all!!!

They all come stock in the uniflex but can be special ordered in a stiff and senior flex also.W/S's website has all of the specs.

Well being new to Wilson clubs and to this forum I’m delighted I went with the Di11’s. However I’m a little confused as to club selection. Though I don’t mind the long irons I would much prefer to carry a replacement for the 4 iron. At present I have the Wilson Staff FY Heavy Sole Fybrid as well as the hybrid 19 degree.

In addition to this I need to think about either the Dxi 3 or 5 wood or could I get away with soething else. Playing off a handicap of 24 all I need is it to be straight.

Can I ask what your opinions would be for me to replace these as I hear so much about the Fybrids and hybrids my minds in a whirl?

Well being new to Wilson clubs and to this forum I’m delighted I went with the Di11’s. However I’m a little confused as to club selection. Though I don’t mind the long irons I would much prefer to carry a replacement for the 4 iron. At present I have the Wilson Staff FY Heavy Sole Fybrid as well as the hybrid 19 degree.

In addition to this I need to think about either the Dxi 3 or 5 wood or could I get away with soething else. Playing off a handicap of 24 all I need is it to be straight.

Can I ask what your opinions would be for me to replace these as I hear so much about the Fybrids and hybrids my minds in a whirl?

The fy fybrid is 19.5* and your other hybrid is 19*,thats too close of a gap.A 4-iron hybrid replacement is typically 24* or very close to that.If it was me i would ditch one of the hybrids that you have and look for a hybrid close to 24*.

Here's a little update on my journey with these clubs so far. Up to about a week and a half ago, I wasn't very happy with them at all. I was having a consistent fade/slice on my "good" shots (which never happened before these). So I asked for some help on my swing plane in another thread here and tried putting some of those tips to use (I tried closing my shoulders a lot more). However, right when I wanted to try to practice with this, I became extremely busy between school and work. Before today, I haven't been able to touch a golf club for almost two weeks.

When I walked up to the first tee today at my golf team's practice (at our home course, of course!), I was expecting to be even worse than what I was before. So in order to not let this ruin my day, I said heck with it and focused solely on having fun and didn't pay any attention to whether the shot was good or bad. My first 2 holes were overall really bad (double/triple bogey), but I was expecting that so it didn't bother me at all. However, after these two holes, I started to play extremely well. I hit the ball extremely straight (I was teeing off with a 5 iron every hole basically) and I got some really nice distance out of it. Then the higher irons (7-9) were just going extremely well for me. I was just having a ton of fun with them. I went 4 holes in a row (all of which I normally do badly on) with either a bogey or par (again, which is good golf for me).

However, on a difficult par 5, I had a bad tee shot into the trees. Instead of taking my time and playing wisely, I just didn't give a crap and just hit the ball and laughed when it hit several trees. Because of this, I ended up taking 4 shots to get out. If it weren't for this and my tee shot went to where I was able to get out at (which is where my tee shot normally goes), then I would have made par (again, difficult hole for me overall). I had several shots which landed within 10 feet of the pin from around 100-130 yards out which I was never able to do before.

I'm finally starting to get the hang of these clubs. I feel like they have pointed out some very important flaws in my swing which I have been able to overall correct and now these are performing really well. I hope that I'm able to continue this and keep on improving with them! At this point, I finally feel like these clubs were a good buy.

Right now I need to work on my gap wedge... I'm just not hitting that club all that well. Oh, and to top things off, my putting was horrible, so I knew that one of the reasons my scores were rather high were from having several 3 putts and even one or two 4 putts. So my irons really saved me overall.

The Golf Fix with Michael Breed is about to come on, so I gotta cut this a little short so I can go watch it :p

Sorry for the little essay, I just needed to share my experience with you guys :)

Thanks for the update JH, please keep updating. I think these irons are extremly easy to hit, and I know if you keep working on your game you will be flushing them in no time.

Thanks for sharing JH. The Gap wedge was my favorite club in this set

Hooray

Hooray

Just attended Drummond Lawnton to collect new clubs. So very happy. Picked up boxes and they felt so light.

Took out 6 iron and tried it out on the performance machine. Left the plastic film on the club face. Went and hit 10 balls without much of a warm up. According to the machine I was hitting straight from the outset (long time sufferer with a bad fade (slice)). Couple of first hit were a bit tentative and were thin but as I git into it was pushing it out over 160 metres. For me this is great. I hope to be able to reproduce this on the course.

However the bad news is that I now have no time to go to range to check them out as I have to work for the next 9 days straight.

Will keep everyone up to date when I complete my first round. Thanks to all.:act-up:

Outstanding Sugar. I struggled a little at first with these but man once I hit my stride these were awesome.

Back