Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Awesome you got you irons Ron. Second round with the Di11's today and I will post a more later once I get dinner made, but first round was 83 or 84, and today was an 81. That I think says a lot about these irons, you are able to shoot great rounds straight out of the box.

Hope you guys are enjoying the irons. Like reading peoples review of clubs when they have no bias towards a company.

Awesome you got you irons Ron. Second round with the Di11's today and I will post a more later once I get dinner made, but first round was 83 or 84, and today was an 81. That I think says a lot about these irons, you are able to shoot great rounds straight out of the box.

Great round CB!!

That's awesome Ron, have fun testing these. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

PS- Great round CB!!!

Ron, I didn't know you were a lefty? We're taking over. I love that you got them, then the first thing you did was go to the range with them. Good luck, have fun, looking forward to hearing how it went.

I agree..
Guess I need to pay more attention to the contests as I see some Lefty gear available....
G/L with the irons Ron...

Okay First impressions after a couple of hours on the range. These really do make a big difference in distance. I hit about 200 balls with them this afternoon and here are some preliminary results.

I hit my current irons like this:

4I-160
5I-145
6I-135
7I-130
8I-115
9I-105
PW-70
GW-85

With the Di11's I'm hitting like this:

4I-180
5I-165
6I-155
7I-140
8I-130
9I-120
PW-110
GW-90

I added 10-20 yards to my carry with these. Even if they were the ugliest irons in the world, and they are not by a long shot, I would switch to these in a hot second to add that kind of yardage!
Even shots missed off the toe or heel, still got better yardage for the most part than my current irons.

I'm pretty sure the 1/2&1/2 shaft has increased my club head speed due to the lightness of the club. It's just completely effortless swinging these.
Some of the other testers mentioned some concern with the grips, I had none myself. These grips are very servicable for me, and I like the grooved design in the grip it makes it really easy to "Feel" when your grip is off.

I'm planning on taking tomorrow afternoon off and going to play a round with these to really give them a good going over. I plan to work the course so that I will be left with a lot of iron shots. I'm going to be very surprised if I don't start breaking 100 consistently with these starting tomorrow.

Glad to hear the Di11's made it to CO.

Ron, I love it! Great initial post and good luck tomorrow. I like that you're taking the day off.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Okay First impressions after a couple of hours on the range. These really do make a big difference in distance. I hit about 200 balls with them this afternoon and here are some preliminary results.

4I-160
5I-145
6I-135
7I-130
8I-115
9I-105
PW-70
GW-85

4I-180
5I-165
6I-155
7I-140
8I-130
9I-120
PW-110
GW-90

I added 10-20 yards to my carry with these. Even if they were the ugliest irons in the world, and they are not by a long shot, I would switch to these in a hot second to add that kind of yardage!
Even shots missed off the toe or heel, still got better yardage for the most part than my current irons.

I'm pretty sure the 1/2&1/2 shaft has increased my club head speed due to the lightness of the club. It's just completely effortless swinging these.
Some of the other testers mentioned some concern with the grips, I had none myself. These grips are very servicable for me, and I like the grooved design in the grip it makes it really easy to "Feel" when your grip is off.

I'm planning on taking tomorrow afternoon off and going to play a round with these to really give them a good going over. I plan to work the course so that I will be left with a lot of iron shots. I'm going to be very surprised if I don't start breaking 100 consistently with these starting tomorrow.

I love to read this kind of stuff. That distance will be very valuable to your game, Ron.

I agree..
Guess I need to pay more attention to the contests as I see some Lefty gear available....
G/L with the irons Ron...

This is not a contest.

Ron, I love it! Great initial post and good luck tomorrow. I like that you're taking the day off.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Got to take the day off and get these out for a full round to represent for us lefties TC. I have the 9 iron laying in my lap now fondling it as I type this.

Great to hear they finally got to you Ron. Now you know how CB & I have been feeling. These irons are like cheating

Great to hear they finally got to you Ron. Now you know how CB & I have been feeling. These irons are like cheating

It is CL, it's almost like the ball has a magnet in it that draws the clubface to it. And I love the look and feel of the 1/2&1/2 so far. The wedges were the most surprising. I currently play with a 52, 56 and a 60. After today I don't feel like there were any gaps that weren't filled with these.

Got to take the day off and get these out for a full round to represent for us lefties TC. I have the 9 iron laying in my lap now fondling it as I type this.

lol good luck tomorrow Ron, cant wait to hear how your first round goes.

4I-160
5I-145
6I-135
7I-130
8I-115
9I-105
PW-70
GW-85

4I-180
5I-165
6I-155
7I-140
8I-130
9I-120
PW-110
GW-90

Quite an increase from your old irons, can I ask what you were playing your yardages sound very similar to what mine are currently with my slingshots and the di11's with the half and half are on my list to try out for this year.

lol good luck tomorrow Ron, cant wait to hear how your first round goes.

If it's anything like my session on the range Kevin I may be trying out for the seniors tour in a few months! :golf:

Great job Ron, I'm glad these are working for you!

Quite an increase from your old irons, can I ask what you were playing your yardages sound very similar to what mine are currently with my slingshots and the di11's with the half and half are on my list to try out for this year.

I have been playing a Set of Ping Karsten III Greendots, steel shafts.

Ron thats so great what you are seeing with these irons. I am seeing the same thing, they are a little like cheating. I'm currently working on my write up of my round today, but needless to say it was better than the last time.

LMAO thats awesome .... i'm really interested in your review ron since you got the Half+Half shafts (even if the heads are put on backwards,:D). If i do end up getting these irons (and i'm sure i will) i want the Half+Half shaft and, maybe it will want me too, LOL. I've hit it in last years D-FY irons but, it was the uniflex flex and, i hit the ball in the clouds with it. I'm sure the D-FY irons didnt help out any either but, i really want to test the 11's with a stiff H+H and, see if they do me any good.

I luv reading these reviews guys thanx to you all and, keep 'em coming.

It is CL, it's almost like the ball has a magnet in it that draws the clubface to it. And I love the look and feel of the 1/2&1/2 so far. The wedges were the most surprising. I currently play with a 52, 56 and a 60. After today I don't feel like there were any gaps that weren't filled with these.

Very Nice Writeup Ron, the weather in Colorado for the next few days will be great golfing weather. Will be looking forward to read about your round tomorrow.

Great review Ron!...I'm curious to find out how the Half and Half feels at impact since the steel is closer to the club head. Do you feel you are able to dig more with thewedges because of this??

Great stuff Ron! I love how these things gave you a lot more distance. What do you think about the look of the 1/2 & 1/2 shaft when setting up for a shot. Did it take any getting used to or was it a non issue?

Alright, played another round with the Di11's yesterday and it was great, 41 front, 40 back (81) and my ball striking again with these irons is incredible. It was a very windy day (25 mph winds) and cold again, so I thought this was a good test of the clubs ball flight. Distance is long as we have all noted but my question yesterday is could I flight these lower or higher with the wind. My first chance came on the second hole my 3rd shot into a long par 5, I had 150 left, into the wind, and I thought that with that wind if I hit a standard 8 iron I would fly the green so lets try to get a nine up into the wind and let it go, beautiful, pin high and the ball just flew for ever. The next hole was a shorter par 4 into the wind and I layed up to 150 on purpose so I could try a knockdown into the wind, pulled a 7 iron and with a 3/4 backswing and short follow through I had a nice lower ball flight into the green. The ball flight was still higher than you would get with a knock down shot with most irons but it cut through the wind nicely. Cross winds were interesting to say the least today, and I tried both knockdowns, draws against the wind, playing the wind and fades against the wind. The Di11's performed great everytime doing exactly what I wanted them to even if it didn't work out every time. The biggest surprise for me was on a 185 yard par 3 over water, short is death, but long is ok, so the normal play for me would be a choke down hybrid. Since this is a test I thought I would man up and hit the 4 iron, which is rarely the most consistent club for me, but I have been hitting it ok on the range so here we go. Flushed, best 4 iron shot I have ever hit, ended up pin high with a 4 foot putt for birdie...which I missed but thats not the point. I wouldn't try this shot everyday but to know its in the bag is amazing. I am going to the range again today to work on these beauties.

Good stuff Cool. It sounds like the Di11's are really impressing you guys up to this point. Again, can't wait to hit these myself.

Back