Woods Back Next Weekend

I'm tired of being the realist. I'm tired of being the one who tries to look at things subjectively. I think I'm done talking about Tiger Woods.

I would love to hear the answer to the question that you have about what makes people think he is coming back outside of living on past glory. Subjectivity and realism does not go hand in hand with sports, you know that.

Last year it was that he had too much on his mind. Then it was he was coming back after a full off season to work on his game. Now its that it takes longer to work on a swing change. Maybe all of them are true. Maybe none of them are true. One thing stands out for me though is TW himself saying that golf and practice are not as important to him as they used to be. This is the same reason that so many gave about Phil and saying he had a lack of drive. Now TW has said the same thing.

I would love an explanation and examples on why Foley's swing theory is going to make the difference. Is it because he's Canadian? I don't get it. Who has he worked with that has had great success?

Tiger can't putt, and doesn't chip well either.

Define "done"? Tiger will certainly win again, probably multiple times. But they will be spread out. Maybe once a year, two in year one or more times before he retires. It's possible he squeaks out a major, but that putting stroke ain't not know how getting it done on most major venues.

He's done as a multiple yearly and consistent major winner.

Kevin

His stable of golfers cannot be compared to Tiger Woods.

Your right, all the guys that are using the Foley swing are playing better than TW this year.

I would love to hear the answer to the question that you have about what makes people think he is coming back outside of living on past glory. Subjectivity and realism does not go hand in hand with sports, you know that.

Last year it was that he had too much on his mind. Then it was he was coming back after a full off season to work on his game. Now its that it takes longer to work on a swing change. Maybe all of them are true. Maybe none of them are true. One thing stands out for me though is TW himself saying that golf and practice are not as important to him as they used to be. This is the same reason that so many gave about Phil and saying he had a lack of drive. Now TW has said the same thing.

I don't know why people think he is coming back. IMO we will never again see the old Tiger. I do think we will see a good Tiger again though and I think that is probably based off of the fact that he was just that good.

I would love an explanation and examples on why Foley's swing theory is going to make the difference. Is it because he's Canadian? I don't get it. Who has he worked with that has had great success?

Define "done"? Tiger will certainly win again, probably multiple times. But they will be spread out. Maybe once a year, two in year one or more times before he retires. It's possible he squeaks out a major, but that putting stroke ain't not know how getting it done on most major venues.

Kevin

Im still waiting to hear this exact same thing Esox. I just dont know what makes people think that the Foley swing is what will take him to the next level. What has shown that it will? Where is the reasoning behind the "Foley is going to make it better" thoughts?

Kevin

I agree 100% here as I said above. He will probably get a major or two before he's done and a few more wins, but for Tiger Woods who wanted to be the best golfer of all time, and beat Jack's record, that is not good enough.

I had that moment this weekend. I saw Tiger Woods put together a good round at even par but you know, it wasn't him. I was able to take my love for the golfer out and just look at him objectively. It sucked. He, my dad and Freddy Couples really brought me into the game. He isn't a robo swinger. His short game and game from trouble spots was the deadly when he was killing the tour. Assassin like. I agree with you that it's his kryptonite now. He won't dominate/win much at all with Foley's methods. Is he stacked like Dean???

You and JB both have that last bolded part on point. Also, if Tiger Woods isn't dominating or a conversation every Sunday, how can he be considered back? That's the standard he has set. That's what I expect.

Dude, you're starting to feel the way that I do. Please understand, I love Tiger Woods the golfer, he's a lot of the reason why I got hooked to this game (Phil's the biggest though), but I'm trying to take my personal likes out of the equation and look at what I'm seeing. Foley's stable of golfers all hit fwys, and hit a high % of gir's but they all struggle in the same area, the short game [/B](which I equate a lot of feel/visualization to). Tiger is still one of the best but it's his kryponite right now. I'd like to see him utilize those physical abilities he's worked so hard on as opposed to being so damn mechanical.

Even w/Hank Haney, and those 2 years of getting use to his new swing......HE WAS STILL WINNING! He's not even shooting rounds under par right now. On courses that he's OWNED.

Reactions: TC
What made TW great was his consistency week in and week out. He had no "flashes of brilliance". He seemed to play at a high level all the time. Now he's not. Will he be able to get back to that level of consistency? I don't think so. He'll probably win again, but I don't think he'll be the dominant player he once was.

I had that moment this weekend. I saw Tiger Woods put together a good round at even par but you know, it wasn't him. I was able to take my love for the golfer out and just look at him objectively. It sucked. He, my dad and Freddy Couples really brought me into the game. He isn't a robo swinger. His short game and game from trouble spots was the deadly when he was killing the tour. Assassin like. I agree with you that it's his kryptonite now. He won't dominate/win much at all with Foley's methods. Is he stacked like Dean???

You and JB both have that last bolded part on point. Also, if Tiger Woods isn't dominating or a conversation every Sunday, how can he be considered back? That's the standard he has set. That's what I expect.

Great post Yoccos! Rep added

Most insightful, subjective post ever!

Before I had my revelation of sorts, it was just past glory and hope. It wasn't very realistic or subjective. I was definitely letting my heart do the talking. I have the same problem with my football team but I've never had that aha moment like I did this past weekend with Woods. I'll say it again, it sucked.

Im still waiting to hear this exact same thing Esox. I just dont know what makes people think that the Foley swing is what will take him to the next level. What has shown that it will? Where is the reasoning behind the "Foley is going to make it better" thoughts?

Thanks broski. Kinda like watching your favorite fighter get knocked out for the first time. It's been there for awhile but I just kept ignoring the signs.

Great post Yoccos! Rep added

Most insightful, subjective post ever!

I would love to hear the answer to the question that you have about what makes people think he is coming back outside of living on past glory. Subjectivity and realism does not go hand in hand with sports, you know that

Most of thinking he will come back is based on that, the sheer skill and dominance he showed over his career set the bar so high that as of right now, no one on Tour during their careers will reach that. Tiger's done it before and may do it again. Every pro athlete will hit a slump. If this was anyone but Tiger, would anyone expect the results we expect from him??

Now will he dominate again? Depends if he can put in a few good rounds together and build momentum. I think he is capable of doing it again and he will win multiple more majors, let's just not talk of him holding all majors at once and winning 50+% of tournaments he enters.

I don't know why people think he is coming back. IMO we will never again see the old Tiger. I do think we will see a good Tiger again though and I think that is probably based off of the fact that he was just that good.
We may NEVER see anyone as good as Tiger was and it's doubtful even Tiger gets back to that. I am glad I was able to see it with my own eyes, it was a spectacle watching him decimates fields.

Who knows where he will end up in the next two years. I know I am watching and hoping he gets back to good form, but I don't expect him to ever be the player he was, it obvious.

So wait, should we cue the "Hes Back" speech? Im certainly not saying that, but if someone is publicly coming out saying "It finally clicked for him" puts a ton of expectations in the eyes of the public.

Tiger Woods may be on the verge of a breakthrough in his swing — at least according to John Cook, who spent most of Tuesday with the former world No. 1.
“He’s excited about what he’s doing,” Cook said Thursday at a press conference for the Champions Tour’s ACE Group Classic. “It’s just a matter of getting it onto the golf course under competition and what he and Sean [Foley] have been working on.

“[Tiger] now really has a great understanding. As of Monday, it finally clicked to him … where the face of the club needs to be at certain points, which really sounded to me like kind of old school Butch [Harmon] but with a better face angle on his backswing, which means, wow, that’s something really good.”

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/02/17/cook-woods-swing-changes-have-clicked/

Question on Tiger's dominance and likelihood of dominating again -

(yes, I may be devil's advocate here, or I may not)

Do we think that the general or typical level of tour player is higher now than it was when Tiger was dominant? Are there more players capable of winning than there were?

I think ultimately it's a double edged sword for Tiger. I think A) He revolutionized the game in terms of fitness levels, and now that those around him are playing at a higher level as a result, he stands out less. B) I just don't think he cares as much about golf as he used to. It has shown through in things he has said, like mentioned above saying practice isn't that important to him anymore.

In the end what's wrong with Tiger and keeping him from winning isn't that he has lost "it", his swing, or anything else.... its just that his heart is no longer in the game. IMO anyway.

Do we think that the general or typical level of tour player is higher now than it was when Tiger was dominant? Are there more players capable of winning than there were?

I'm already sick of the media over hyping everything Woods does, again. As far as I'm concerned, I really think it would be better for golf, maybe not ratings or purse money, but better for the game if Woods would just go away!

He's no gentleman, to me he seems like a selfish, spoiled brat. Yeah, yeah, he does a lot for charity and that's great, still I'm done with Woods. Couldn't care less either way if he ever wins another tournament. Only problem with that is, the minute he wins another tournament the media blitz will be on in full force, worse then it is now. The Tiger Golf Channel will go crazy. How sad!

I definitely believe that there are more players capable of winning now than there has been in years, maybe even ever.

Only time will tell with el tigre. I still think he'll win a major this year.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

Next week will be a huge test for Tiger at the WGC event. John Cook says "it finally clicked" for Tiger when he was playing with him earlier this week. A win for Tiger in the near future, any win, I think will help him get back on track. Will he ever dominate again like he has in the past? IMHO the answer is no but I do believe he will win again.

All I know is that when he is playing, I am more interested. I think he will be back on top as soon as he is comfortable with his swing.

All I know is that when he is playing, I am more interested.

Even when he sucks?

What does John Cook have to say about Tiger's putting stroke? Has that "clicked"?

Kevin

Not sure where his game will be next week, but I know I wouldn't want to play TW in match play.

Back