Woods Back Next Weekend

I suspect and hope his play will remain poor going forward. I wonder how long the networks and TGC will continue to feature him? Probably another couple years.

Kevin

My opinion Tiger has lost the most important part of being a Champion golfer and that is confidence. His mental approach to the game is not the same and that little six inch barrier between the ears (not below TC) is what has cooked his goose.

I think we're looking at least mid-summer before any chance of Tiger winning.He looked just horrible over the weekend,and no birds on the par 5s on Thursday.It's going to be a long,hard road back for him.

I think he ought to try the swing and putter that had him winning by 5+ strokes. Not venturing off into swing change hell. Thats my turf there.

Wait, I thought he looked exactly like the world #1 right? I mean an under par round followed by two rounds over par. Sound familar? hehe

I'm pretty sure Mr Woods wasn't wearing the necessary white trousers to claim no1 spot.

The Grey Goose 19th Hole had a funny take on Tiger. They compaired him to the ground hog Punxsutawney Phil. They said he finally came out of his hole looking around for the shadow of his former self, lmao. He didn't find it and in this case he'll have a long 6 more weeks at least, hahaha... funny stuff.

whenever I see Vegas I think he looks like Jose Contreras
Great point. I loved watching the others guys when I could. Vegas reminded me a lot of the old Tigre. Even the water shot on the 18th lol. I love Jhonny Vegas.

Well, tomorrow Tigger tees it up with the world's #1 and #2, and he's doing it on a golf course that he's dominated in the past. Will he be "back"? My gut says no, and then what? We wait until the Masters to tout how much he'll dominate there? I kind of feel bad for the Tiger faithfuls right now. It's hard to make the argument that he's going to be dominant in 2011. Time will tell, I know, but c'mon, what's he done to give anyone any hint that he's nearing dominate form?

At any rate, will he be "back" this weekend?

Well, tomorrow Tigger tees it up with the world's #1 and #2, and he's doing it on a golf course that he's dominated in the past. Will he be "back"? My gut says no, and then what? We wait until the Masters to tout how much he'll dominate there? I kind of feel bad for the Tiger faithfuls right now. It's hard to make the argument that he's going to be dominant in 2011. Time will tell, I know, but c'mon, what's he done to give anyone any hint that he's nearing dominate form?

I don't think so. I think 1 or 2 wins (which is great for 99% of touring professionals) this year but not dominant. Nothing has given me any indication that's happening in the near future.

That said, I think he still has some dominance left in him but will reserve calling when that will show up.

He'll be back on Thurs and Fri only....Sat and Sun not so much

I don't think he will, nor do I think Westy will do anything more than drive camera time, but the same could be said for Phil at the AT&T this weekend. I took him for my team, but who know's if he'll lead this thing from wire to wire or just make a token run and get a bunch of camera time.

I don't think he will, nor do I think Westy will do anything more than drive camera time, but the same could be said for Phil at the AT&T this weekend. I took him for my team, but who know's if he'll lead this thing from wire to wire or just make a token run and get a bunch of camera time.

Of course stars get camera time. They drive ratings. But I would hardly compare the start of Westy and TW to that of Phil for 2011.

Of course stars get camera time. They drive ratings. But I would hardly compare the start of Westy and TW to that of Phil for 2011.

That's why I chose him this week and agree these are the guy's who peole tune in to see. But, while Phil has done well, it's time for him to dominate. We need an American superstar, another TW without the negitive drama.

Just to be clear since someone has dragged this thread back from the dead, the title of it simply meant he was back on tour that week, not "back" in some figurative sense. Only time will answer that question, and you know what my guess is.

Love this title.... :D

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - FEBRUARY 09: Tiger Woods of the USA in action during the pro-am for the 2011 Omega Dubai desert Classic held on the Majilis Course at the Emirates Golf Club on February 9, 2011 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)

Haha love the pic, thanks JD

Just to be clear since someone has dragged this thread back from the dead, the title of it simply meant he was back on tour that week, not "back" in some figurative sense. Only time will answer that question, and you know what my guess is.

oops! My bad....and I agree, only time will tell.

btw, I love this thread. It's nice to come in here week after week after Tiger tees it up and continues to be less than stellar or dominant. I'm simply stating facts brother.

Love this title.... :D

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - FEBRUARY 09: Tiger Woods of the USA in action during the pro-am for the 2011 Omega Dubai desert Classic held on the Majilis Course at the Emirates Golf Club on February 9, 2011 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)

Cant argue with his taste in... caddies.

since this seems to be the tiger thread, i thought this was cool.

Yeah I don't expect Tiger this week either, in fact I've said that Martin Kaymer leaves Duabi the #1 player in the world and I'll stick to that.

I kind of find this rather amusing.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer -- the two highest-ranked golfers -- insist Tiger Woods remains the biggest draw and his return to top form can only be good for the game.

"When I'm not playing a tournament and I'm watching, say, somewhere in the States, I'm watching how Tiger is playing," the top-ranked Westwood said. "I'm seeing if he's playing well. He's exciting to watch for everybody."

Westwood, Kaymer and the third-ranked Woods play this week at the Dubai Desert Classic. The three will be grouped for the first two rounds at Emirates Golf Course. This is the first time since 1994 the world's top three golfers are playing together in a European Tour event.

Woods' five-tournament winning streak at Torrey Pines ended last month after a final-round 75 left him tied for 44th. It was his worst start to a season since he turned pro and follows a year in which he failed to win at least one tournament for the first time and his marriage ended following extramarital affairs.

His struggles have raised doubts about whether at age 35 he will ever ascend to the level that brought him 14 majors, especially considering the rise of such players as the 26-year-old Kaymer.

Kaymer says such talk is premature.

"He's the best player in the game," Kaymer said. "At the moment, Lee and me, we are No. 1 and 2. But in every golfer's mind, he is the best player in the world. And it would be fantastic if he can get back to where he was and then we challenge him."

The German said he would relish the chance to play alongside Woods for the first time. Kaymer said the media shouldn't give Woods "such a hard time," adding that he has a lot of respect for him and "we are very thankful for what he did for golf."

"We are not enemies on the golf course. We don't like to see people suffering," Kaymer said. "Of course, you want to win on Sunday, but we don't like to win a golf tournament when somebody screws up.

"The way I won in Abu Dhabi, winning by eight shots, that's a great win and that makes me happy. But it would not make me happy if Tiger finishes with a double bogey and an 89 and I win by one [stroke]."

Mark O'Meara, a friend of Woods and also playing in Dubai, predicts Woods will win several tournaments this year and possibly a major.

"I'd never underestimate what Tiger is capable of doing," he said. "He may not be swinging the best. He may not be the most confident player right now. But saying all that, Tiger being Tiger, he has fought back before and he will fight back from this."

On Tuesday, Woods and O'Meara won the nine-hole, par-3 Challenge Match by two shots, beating Westood and Miguel Angel Jimenez. Noh Seung-yul and Jeev Milkha Singh were a further shot back.

Woods is not the only one having a rough start to the season. Westwood finished 64th in a European Tour event in Abu Dhabi last month then missed the cut in last week's Qatar Masters.

Westwood, who supplanted Woods at No. 1 in October, attributes his troubles to a lingering calf injury and time off over Christmas.

"When you don't work on your swing, you go back to your faults, and that's what's happened the last couple of weeks on tour in Abu Dhabi and Qatar," said Westwood, who on Thursday was given lifetime membership on the European Tour. "I needed to do a little bit of work on that, and I'm starting to get a bit of it in place."

Westwood could lose the top spot this week if Kaymer wins and he finishes lower than second, and if Kaymer finishes second and Westwood is out of the top 10. If Kaymer is tied for second, he could still become No. 1 if Westwood finishes out of the top 36. Woods could leapfrog Kaymer if he wins and Kaymer finishes outside the top five.

Kaymer and Westwood say their priority is winning the tournament.

"Let's ignore the world ranking. The clear and present danger is not Martin Kaymer," Westwood said. "The issue for me is to play well, get my game in better order than it has been the last two weeks and try and win the Dubai Desert Classic. End of story."

I'll preface with a little to much honesty, i'm a little drunk now, so take this with some grains of salt.

I've got some tiger opinions about everything like most golf fans, i'll refrain from getting into it to far (i'll just give a hint, i'm little more sympathetic towards tiger and his antics than the average) because it's in the best interests to do so.

Anyway enough rambling and to the point of the rambling; first a question, i remember reading once or twice upon a time that Tiger is actually well liked amongst other tour pro's? and is a regular foul mouthed-dirty joke tellin' one of the guys?

With my understanding that's the case, i think other pro's, regardless of opionion/fear/whatever, like, respect and are more sympathetic to tiger than the media (probably goes without saying for a number of reasons. tiger's treatment of his other pros compared to his treatment of media, tiger and other pro's [especially top guys like westwood, kaymer] shared experience bringing them together, general professional respect, etc you get my drift), so in my opinion you're always going to read articles like the one above that has it's own thread. They know tiger differently, identify with his situation (at least as it pertains to being an elite professional golfer) thus are more friendly with him.

Even if they aren't, they understand to leave enough alone (i refer to the incident at torrey where the rookie said tiger looked disinterested and it blew up so he had to apologize. He had to, not for saying what he said per say, but because what he said, even though it was probably true and something that happens every week to elite pro's in any sport, some times you just have to wave the white towl, you get that luxury at that level of success, but because a bleepload of unnecesary negative media attention was heaped on tiger because he's tiger. you gotta apologize for unnecessarily throwing that load on another pro), they all have that understanding.

That is leading me down a road i probably should refrain from going down, but i think this entire tiger situation has been a real eye opener about the media. there have been a nauseating amount of morality debates about tiger, so let's leave that alone, the only point i want to make down that road, a point i understand has probably been made, is that he's not the first insanely wealthy man/famous athlete to engage in such activities, just the first to be treated in such a way by the media.

It was interesting, and not surprising, to me to see it go down and a lot of media members immediately split into two very obvious and distinct categories, there was the "i'm going to say nice things and hope to not be blacklisted by tiger because i want or need access" and the "i'll rip him because he's not going to give me access anyway or screwed me before, so what do i have to lose", then as things went along and it was clear that tiger decided to shut everything off and play bad golf; then you had a lot of media, who he's basically treated at arm's length for his career, throw him under the bus.

What i mean is i can't imagine phil getting met with the same vitriol if the same situation were to befall him. that's tiger's own doing, i don't necessarily blame them, you reap what you sow, just don't give me the bs of impartiallity.

I don't really know where i was going with any of this, other than to give my 2 cents on the media's relationship with eldrick compared to the players relationship with him.

To me, the whole thing from every angle, tiger, his wife, the media, everything about the whole thing stinks to high heaven. To end on something other than the same ole same ole, they showed highlights of tiger at pebble in 2000 and my goodness that feels like a lifetime ago already after the last couple years

HE'S BACK!!! to his old ways of the last 17 months.

Rough start to his first round. +2 after 5.

Back