TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Nate, I can talk about this somewhat. I was able to play golf this past weekend with White Rhino who has the R11 irons. I usually play the MCs and although the shafts in the two irons are very different, I came away very impressed with the R11s. They are more forgiving, there is no doubt and they are longer. I prefer the feel of the MCs, but that does not mean that the R11s felt bad, in fact they felt quite nice. The R11s look fantastic too! A lot of technology packed into an iron that does not appear to be a GI iron. Overall, I really liked the R11s.

Nate, I can talk about this somewhat. I was able to play golf this past weekend with White Rhino who has the R11 irons. I usually play the MCs and although the shafts in the two irons are very different, I came away very impressed with the R11s. They are more forgiving, there is no doubt and they are longer. I prefer the feel of the MCs, but that does not mean that the R11s felt bad, in fact they felt quite nice. The R11s look fantastic too! A lot of technology packed into an iron that does not appear to be a GI iron. Overall, I really liked the R11s.
Thanks! Couple of questions:

- Is the R11 head bigger than the MC's or the same?
- Does the R11 have more of a cavity back feel to it compared to the MC?
- Can you comment on the tragectory of both irons?

I hit both the R11s and the MCs at the Morgan Cup in Aug. even though the r11s I hit we're .5" shorter than my MCs I was hitting them about half a club further. The shafts were both the KBS tours.

I found that the r11s launched about the same as the MCs, but this isthe shaft more than the head. I found the r11s a bit more forgiving as well.

I am happy with my MCs and feel like they will be in the bag for a long time.

Thanks! Couple of questions:

- Is the R11 head bigger than the MC's or the same? It is bigger but not substaintially bigger in my opinion. They stuck with the thinner topline with the R11s too, and the sole is not wide by any stretch of the imagination. So the larger head just doesn't look that much bigger.
- Does the R11 have more of a cavity back feel to it compared to the MC? Yes, it definitely does. I will say that I have the CB 4-5 irons and I actually prefer the R11s over the CBs.
- Can you comment on the tragectory of both irons?The trajectory is definitely higher, however, this is not a fair comparison as the shafts are very different between the two irons. I would be willing to bet that with the same shafts, the R11s would have a higher trajectory than the MCs.

Hope that helps!

Guess I will have to try the 50 and 52. Really liked the burner A wedge as part of the set - shame they do not make a MB AW.

Put some kbs tours in my MCs today. Man do they feel great. They are some serious weapons. Everyone one in pro shop got to hit them and they all went nuts over the combo.

I hit both the R11s and the MCs at the Morgan Cup in Aug. even though the r11s I hit we're .5" shorter than my MCs I was hitting them about half a club further. The shafts were both the KBS tours.

I found that the r11s launched about the same as the MCs, but this isthe shaft more than the head. I found the r11s a bit more forgiving as well.

I am happy with my MCs and feel like they will be in the bag for a long time.

Interesting information. As a sidebar it's worthwhile mentioning that the MC irons are traditional lofts (3i 21* and PW 47*). I compared the two side by side and differences between the R11 and MC appear to be negligible. I'm talking head size, top line and sole.

Alex

I would agree with the above statement. They are very very close.

Kbs tours=heaven. By far the best irons I have owned from tmag

I spent a lot of time shopping for irons before I finally settled on my MBs, but until I got them I had my eye set on the MCs for a while. I never got to try out the R11s til just last week, but I think I like the R11's a little better. As much as I love my MB's I don't think I would consider putting them in my bag over my MB's but they are definitely nice! I think TMaG hit a home run with their entire line of irons this year. From each Tour Preferred model to the R11's and even the Burner 2.0, everything performed at the top level in their category.

It has been a few months now and I am still loving my TaylorMade MCs. They are probably the crispest feeling irons that I have ever hit on a well struck shot and the ball flight is a thing of beauty.it's not skyrocket high like most GI clubs and yet it's not a low flying laser shot like I seem to hit with butter knife clubs either. It just flies nicely somewhere in a happy medium.
I've learned that I can very easily hit a huge draw bordering on hook or a huge fade bordering on slice with these irons. However, after putting so much stock in "working" the ball for a while there I have decided that the only thing I'm worried about is hitting the ball straight 95% of the time. These irons seem to perform that task quite nicely for me.
I know it has been discussed on here before, but I just want to reiterate that the MC's are a shockingly forgiving club considering what they are. Out toward the toe and high on the face are a little more punishing than hitting a groove or two low or more toward the heel. I'd actually go so far as to say that I can't tell a lick of difference in ball flight or feel between a pured shot and one that is a little toward the heel.
Still excited about these and although I know I can't be lazy with them like I could the Z-Stars, the results on well struck shots are a thing of beauty.

hey guys this is my first post so bear with me. I bought these used at golf galaxy which were on the wall for $349. Traded in my old Ping g10 shovels for so i paid 240. Being a lefty, and for those of you who are as well, I just couldnt pass this deal up (theres never a decent of GE irons at Golf Galaxy.) I have loved hitting these, but as usual, i find my deals in the winter. Meaning I can only hit them inside the local dome. From what I can see, my ball flight has been very low with my long irons. My G10's were +1" and standard lie with the stiff awt shaft. These MC's have the KBS tour x-flex, standard length. Was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem with this kbs shaft. Do you think soft stepping these shafts would be a good idea? I only ask because I dont swing super hard, 105 with a driver, and dont want to have the xflex image on the sticker burned in my head and be worried its too stiff for me.

welcome to THP!

I can't say that I hit these with the KBS shaft as I used the DG S300. You should definitely see a lower ball flight with these than with your g10's. They are a completely different iron in terms of design. The g10 is designed to get the ball up in the air and has a lot of forgiveness. These have a much more compact head and are geared more towards those who want to be able to work the ball and they have little forgiveness compared to the g10.

Did you try hitting them off at lie board or having them measured to be fit at the store? I know you mentioned your old set was +1"

hey guys this is my first post so bear with me. I bought these used at golf galaxy which were on the wall for $349. Traded in my old Ping g10 shovels for so i paid 240. Being a lefty, and for those of you who are as well, I just couldnt pass this deal up (theres never a decent of GE irons at Golf Galaxy.) I have loved hitting these, but as usual, i find my deals in the winter. Meaning I can only hit them inside the local dome. From what I can see, my ball flight has been very low with my long irons. My G10's were +1" and standard lie with the stiff awt shaft. These MC's have the KBS tour x-flex, standard length. Was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem with this kbs shaft. Do you think soft stepping these shafts would be a good idea? I only ask because I dont swing super hard, 105 with a driver, and dont want to have the xflex image on the sticker burned in my head and be worried its too stiff for me.

I have experience with the KBS' in xstiff. I also have a little bit quicker swing speed than you do. Mine were soft stepped as well. I'm not sure if that will make a world of difference for you or not. Perhaps you should consider putting some KBS Tours in Stiff flex in them. That's a good 10gram difference in weight, and I would imagine your ball flight goes up just a hair.

As another lefty, you did get a good deal and I can see why you would jump all over them. Welcome to THP!

I know they hit lower than the g10's. I havent hit off the lie board yet. I feel like I got too lazy with the g10's though, relying more on the forgiveness of the club than the mechanics of my swing. That is the main reason i switched, that and the fact that even when i would try to play a punch under a tree with them, it would balloon. not good. I absolutely love these irons, im just wondering if I'll be able to handle the flex of these irons. Do you think only hitting off mats could be the reason its launching so low. I was thinking about only putting +1/4" just for piece of mind, as im hitting them well so far, but always think when i mis hit that its due to the length, or lack thereof

I know they hit lower than the g10's. I havent hit off the lie board yet. I feel like I got too lazy with the g10's though, relying more on the forgiveness of the club than the mechanics of my swing. That is the main reason i switched, that and the fact that even when i would try to play a punch under a tree with them, it would balloon. not good. I absolutely love these irons, im just wondering if I'll be able to handle the flex of these irons. Do you think only hitting off mats could be the reason its launching so low. I was thinking about only putting +1/4" just for piece of mind, as im hitting them well so far, but always think when i mis hit that its due to the length, or lack thereof

I honestly think the low launch is a combination of shaft and the type of iron you're now using. If it were me, I would seriously consider reshafting. You could fetch some decent money for those KBS' that are in them on ebay. Internet golfers love xstiff.

I have really long arms, 6'9" wingspan, and my buddy at the galaxy said i should be able to game these because i have a really wide swing. so i think for now, only hitting inside the dome, im not going to worry much about it. I think ill take some crappy old balls outside today and see how they fly just to get a better idea of where i stand. Perhaps its just the mats im hitting on. Ive never had much luck selling things on ebay anyways. Thanks though buddy. Im glad someone else feels my pain being a lefty

I have really long arms, 6'9" wingspan, and my buddy at the galaxy said i should be able to game these because i have a really wide swing. so i think for now, only hitting inside the dome, im not going to worry much about it. I think ill take some crappy old balls outside today and see how they fly just to get a better idea of where i stand. Perhaps its just the mats im hitting on. Ive never had much luck selling things on ebay anyways. Thanks though buddy. Im glad someone else feels my pain being a lefty

No problem. Yeah, perhaps hitting them outdoors shows you a different thing. I don't trust mats either. Never have.

Good luck with them!

I never like to judge how well I hit something based off how I hit them off of mats either, I just never seem to hit well off of them no matter what I am hitting. I always like to get outside and take some swings with them on some real grass before I really know how they're going to perform.

yeah man i know what you mean. I went out and hit them today, in 35 degrees and wet ground mind you, and these are awesome. ill prolly go with the +1/4" just for the piece of mind, and the fact that i caught it thin a few times and missed it left (I always play a baby draw)

Hey guys this is my second post on THP (first one on page 100) and i finally ordered a set of taylormade MC's yesterday 3-PW. I cant wait to get them because they are my first brand new set of irons that i will own!:banana:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to THP Golfdream. Are you located in a place where you will be able to try them out on a course soon?

Hey guys this is my second post on THP (first one on page 100) and i finally ordered a set of taylormade MC's yesterday 3-PW. I cant wait to get them because they are my first brand new set of irons that i will own!:banana:

Congrats! Enjoy them. I love my CB's.

I love my MCs but ism still thinking about moving to i20s. I have nothing bad to say about and they are lethal with kbs tours. I am a club ho so the MCs have to make room.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Congrats! I have been gaming the MCs for almost a year now and they are not going anywhere. I just put KBS C-Tapers in them yesterday, and I am so excited to get them out on the course. I think you will be thrilled with your purchase. These irons are super accurate and offer so much!

Congrats! I have been gaming the MCs for almost a year now and they are not going anywhere. I just put KBS C-Tapers in them yesterday, and I am so excited to get them out on the course. I think you will be thrilled with your purchase. These irons are super accurate and offer so much!

Wow, good to hear about the C-Tapers. I can't wait to hear what you think.

Back