Mizuno introduces the sound of feel

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
i totally agree with u that mizuno has the best feel, and this just proves it in my opinion

That's cool. Don't know how much harmonic sound vibrations equate to feel on a golf shot in practice, but cool nonetheless.

Agreed. I still think the Nickent 4DX Pros feel better than Mizunos, but that is just my opinion. I also think that the Nike Split Cavitys feel as good. But no doubt about it. Mizuno clubs feel great.

Oh bama you listening????

That's cool. Don't know how much harmonic sound vibrations equate to feel on a golf shot in practice, but cool nonetheless.

While I am "currently" playing MX-23's, the engineer side of me is trying to equate frequency resonance to players "feel". And if I am not mistaken, too much "feel" is the definition of vibration....and some major players out there are offering vibration dampening materials to help combat it....

While I think feel plays a part in the striking of the golf ball, I am one that puts more credence in the results the said club delivers.....

Reactions: JB
I can tell you that even my old MX-15s have a lot more feel to them than the Titleist DCI 981s that I used to have.
There is a definete difference in how the shot feels and sounds when you make a solid hit as opposed to if you hit it off the heel or toe.

While I am "currently" playing MX-23's, the engineer side of me is trying to equate frequency resonance to players "feel". And if I am not mistaken, too much "feel" is the definition of vibration....and some major players out there are offering vibration dampening materials to help combat it....

While I think feel plays a part in the striking of the golf ball, I am one that puts more credence in the results the said club delivers.....

Good points. I probably should have split that infinitive: I'm not sure how resonance equates to useful feel in a golf shot.

Edit: doi, that's not a split infinitive. I am slipping!

I can tell you that even my old MX-15s have a lot more feel to them than the Titleist DCI 981s that I used to have.
There is a definete difference in how the shot feels and sounds when you make a solid hit as opposed to if you hit it off the heel or toe.

I know exactly of which you speak...a good hit on a Mizuno is like butter...
I just dont see how sound (grain flow forging based) matters as much as the end result...Below is Mizunos Grain Flow Forged definition....The bolded parts are what I put more credence in as an engineer.

The precision and soft, solid feel of Mizuno irons is a result of its commitment to the ancient Japanese art of forging.

During forging, a steel billet is carefully heated to a maleable state (without distorting its internal Grain Flow structure), and hammered into a final shape. Unlike casting, where a lower graded metal is heated to liquid form (losing its grain structure) and pured into moulds. Cast metal parts usually contain small air bubbles formed when the metal is re-set.

The Grain Flow lines, high grade steel and absence of air bubbles mean that forged irons feel softer and deliver a more consistent performance than their cast alternatives. The consistency of each forged iron head allow golfers to accurately predict the distance potential of each iron within the set.

The Mizuno Grain Flow Forging technique perfected at its exclusive factory in Hiroshima Japan produces the purest forged iron heads available. The Mizuno Grain Flow Forged process tightens and strengthens Grain Flow lines in each steel billet to ensure a consistent flow through the neck and hosel. The enhancement of these flow lines and absence of joins or welds create the renowned Mizuno Grain Flow Forged sensation at impact.

Id say that its just another indicator of how solid the shot is. Between the vibration coming up through the shaft and the sound, it lets you know when you mishit and gives you a better idea of why a shot doesnt work out like you planned.

That makes me wanna go try some mizunos.

Me too, I'm starting to like the 200s
I'll tell you what, I used to be a diehard Titleist guy, but after hearing so much talk about Mizunos I gave them a shot and instantly fell in love with them.
At no point have I ever had any regrets.

I will give them a serious look when it comes time to replace my TMs, not planning on it until next season though.

Just make sure you try MX-200s or MX-950s. Those are forged, whereas the MX-100s are cast.
Just so you know, the MX-200s are a more traditional iron set, whereas the 950s are a hybrid iron set.

I'm still stuck in my iron decision making but near the top of the list is a MP-62/67 combo set.

Just make sure you try MX-200s or MX-950s. Those are forged, whereas the MX-100s are cast.
Just so you know, the MX-200s are a more traditional iron set, whereas the 950s are a hybrid iron set.

While I understand that the forged Mizunos are way better, I wouldn't thumb my nose at their cast line. Last year during my fitting, I lost count of how many irons I hit. I had not swung a club in almost 20 years, but they way I picked my irons was by what felt best on a solid hit, as well as what I was somewhat consistent with. It came down to the Mizuno MX-19. Still feels great on a solid hit, and it's a cast club. At the price range I was looking for, there were no forged irons.

I just picked up a set of the MX-950s haven't had them on the course yet but on the range they have felt amazing. I'm not good enough to worry about woking the ball or anything like that. Was just looking for somthing that was more forgiving than the old Titliest DCI's I had picked up used about 10 years ago. I had neve considered Mizuno but had to go with what felt the best after hitting a bunch of different brands. I am pretty excited to get them on the course.

I know exactly of which you speak...a good hit on a Mizuno is like butter...
I just dont see how sound (grain flow forging based) matters as much as the end result...Below is Mizunos Grain Flow Forged definition....The bolded parts are what I put more credence in as an engineer.

The precision and soft, solid feel of Mizuno irons is a result of its commitment to the ancient Japanese art of forging.

During forging, a steel billet is carefully heated to a maleable state (without distorting its internal Grain Flow structure), and hammered into a final shape. Unlike casting, where a lower graded metal is heated to liquid form (losing its grain structure) and pured into moulds. Cast metal parts usually contain small air bubbles formed when the metal is re-set.

The Grain Flow lines, high grade steel and absence of air bubbles mean that forged irons feel softer and deliver a more consistent performance than their cast alternatives. The consistency of each forged iron head allow golfers to accurately predict the distance potential of each iron within the set.

The Mizuno Grain Flow Forging technique perfected at its exclusive factory in Hiroshima Japan produces the purest forged iron heads available. The Mizuno Grain Flow Forged process tightens and strengthens Grain Flow lines in each steel billet to ensure a consistent flow through the neck and hosel. The enhancement of these flow lines and absence of joins or welds create the renowned Mizuno Grain Flow Forged sensation at impact.

Without a doubt there are going to be differences between the two processes, the air bubbles they refer to is porosity and is controlled by flow and gating. Unless the casting source is poor in it's tool design or process adherence it should not be a factor here, being leak proof is not a requirement. The largest difference is going to be the factories discipline to the proper process and process controls put in place to guarantee a good product. That all said the real difference is in the microstructure of the material between cast and forging, this is the density of the product. I will say this that in machining Cast Steel or a Forging there are differences and they are not small. Of course this based on the fact that the steel base in similar and not something like 1020 vs. 4140 or 6150. There is without question a difference in the harmonics while machining these different material processes as well. I would think that it would behoove a manufacturer of clubs to reduce the feel of the club as it will mask the fact of any less then a good stuck ball. That then makes the question does having this feedback make you a better ball striker? I would think that it would be operator dependent. Most cast clubs will last longer then their forged counterpart any microstructure related. I guess cut all the BS aside if you have the wrong shaft, lie, loft etc you will not hit a club unfitted better then a fitted club bearing out the advantages of a good fitting.

While I understand that the forged Mizunos are way better, I wouldn't thumb my nose at their cast line. Last year during my fitting, I lost count of how many irons I hit. I had not swung a club in almost 20 years, but they way I picked my irons was by what felt best on a solid hit, as well as what I was somewhat consistent with. It came down to the Mizuno MX-19. Still feels great on a solid hit, and it's a cast club. At the price range I was looking for, there were no forged irons.

I agree. My MX-15s are cast and I love them.
The technology of cast irons has come a long way and nowdays, even the pros cant tell much of a difference from cast to forged.
I always kind of roll my eyes at people who say that they wouldnt own anything but forged irons. If the pros cant tell much of a difference, how is you average weekend golfer going to be able to tell?

...............I always kind of roll my eyes at people who say that they wouldnt own anything but forged irons. If the pros cant tell much of a difference, how is you average weekend golfer going to be able to tell?

I totally agree...and being a mid capper, my goal is to hit the ball straight semi-consistently and not worry about shot shaping..I think the G5's I am currently testing give me a tad more forgiveness than the MX-23's... Jusry is still out whilst testing continues.....

Yeah, I always kinda laugh at people who are 20 handicappers and talk about how they couldnt hit GI irons because they like to, "work the ball".
While I dont doubt that these people work the ball, I somehow doubt that they work it in the direction that they intend to.

I have mentioned this before and I will here as well. About 6 years ago there was a test done by one of the golf magazines. I believe it was GD. THey took 5 cast irons and 5 forged irons made of the same metal and asked each player to hit each one. Not one player could identify the difference. It is more about what metals are being used than the process.

We heard straight from two PGA Tour players at the show that with the advancements in technology and the irons being produced now, that they do not care how good someone is, there is not an amateur in the world that should play "non cavity backs". Take it for what you will.

We heard straight from two PGA Tour players at the show that with the advancements in technology and the irons being produced now, that they do not care how good someone is, there is not an amateur in the world that should play "non cavity backs". Take it for what you will.
Try telling that to the masses who think that blades are going to make them a better ballstriker.

Back