Defending Obama's Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustPlainWill

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve stood by my keyboard long enough. This fight has been brewing for a few months now and I guess that its time to weigh in and hopefully put a stop to this latest nonsense.

On yesterday some of those Sunday morning talking heads criticized President Obama for playing too much golf. (If you suspect that it was one of those idiots on Fox News, you’d be right but there are others too.) The quote was ”… Obama played golf 24 times in the past nine months. That’s more than Bush played in three years.”

First, are you #$%^&* kiddin’ me?????? What’s the problem????

Second, there’s no such thing as playing too much golf. WE ALL KNOW THAT IT’S NOT POSSIBLE. It’s like being too rich or too thin. Everybody knows that. Heck even Republicans, the very people who invented golf know this. (Yep those sheep herders in Scotland were registered Republicans.)

Third, playing 24 times in 9 months is, in my book, not being dedicated to the game. He’s a piker as far as I’m concerned. Heck, I’ve done that in a month. Seriously. (Well not lately, due to the recession, etc., but 24 times in nine months is nuthin’). Under the proper circumstances I could do this in a week---standin’ on my head.

I actually do know guys who’ve done 24 rounds in a week but they had to pay their own greens fees or had to sneak on a course. I do suspect that there are a couple of courses that Barack would probably have to still sneak on in order to play but I suspect that the Navy SEALS could probably help him out in this case.

Twenty four times in nine months doesn’t even come close to a White House record. My favorite golfer of all time is Dwight David Eisenhower. By actual count Ike played golf well over 900 times in eight years. 900 times. I’d almost bet money that Tiger hasn’t played 900 rounds. (OK, I exaggerate …but you get my drift). That’s a lot of rounds. I was a small child during Ike’s second term but everyone in the country knew that the best way to get in touch with Ike was not at the White House but at Congressional. Anyway the current POTUS ain’t likely to come close to playing 900 rounds even if he gets four more years. So criticize him for his stance on healthcare, or cap and trade, or whatever policy you may choose…but criticizing a red blooded American golfer for playing golf less than once a week just ain’t right.

I dont have a problem with the President playing some golf, but like you said, 24 times in 9 months is not that much.

I thought he was being criticized for not playing with any females. Which again I have no problems with. I think Bush gave up golf once the war started, it was a nice gesture.

:laughing::laughing: Will! You once again show that you have a firm finger on the pulse of what's wrong and just ain't right!:laughing: That was funny...

I have to agree with you, that's not much golf. Out of curiosity, how many times was he in contact with his top man running the war in afghanistan?

May not be a ton of golf,But this is the President playing while the USA is in a Crisis. He should have much better things to do with his time while we are tanking. If the world going smooth,I'd have no issues.But since we are in a war and the economy is in the s******,he should be finding ways to get us out,not sink us farther.

i suspect the tv crews didnt say if they were 9 hole or 18, my best bet is more than half would be 9holes..

anyway, its a good way for the man to clear his mind, if a person is wound up with his head buried in his job 24/7 id imagine there would be more mistakes made..

I feel the same way about this I did about Monica.... I want the guy with his finger on the nuclear trigger in a good mood. I don't care how he gets in a good mood, I just want to be sure he's there.

the economy is in the s******,he should be finding ways to get us out,not sink us farther.

Perhaps this is part of the plan to save the economy. Golf is expensive. If 25% of Americans purchased a set of clubs and played one round of golf this month (assuming incorrectly that there are enough clubs and courses to satisfy this), our GDP would increase substantially. Obama has encouraged consumers to purchase vehicles; now, he is encouraging Americans to play golf. What better way to lead the country than by example. Cheers.

*** tongue partly in cheek

Last edited:
yea,that's going to fix the economy.Most are worried about what's left of their 401's and how his health care program will affect them.

I don't see this an issue with the state of the union. I was just thinking how Will has this certain way of writing that IS very entertaining. He should right books IMO.

It may seem inappropriate for Obama to be playing golf while the US is in such upheaval, but the dude has got to relax at some point. I just wish he would play with folks like us and not a bunch of sycophants.

As the President of my company, when there is work needing to be done I work. Golf comes when I'm not needed for essential duties. Also, at least with Fox News we get the whole story, rather than a one sided spin job.

On yesterday some of those Sunday morning talking heads criticized President Obama for playing too much golf. (If you suspect that it was one of those idiots on Fox News, you’d be right but there are others too.)

I don't suppose Fox News bothered to mention that President Bush, whose Presidency initiated the war and watched the economy crumble, set the record for most vacation days by any president in history? Not taking a few hours for golf, but vacation days.

Specifically, in 8 years: 487 days at Camp David, 490 days at Crawford Ranch, 43 days at Kennebunkport Compound for a total of 1020 days - - - more than 1/3rd of his presidency. (By comparison, President Clinton took 152 vacation days in 8 years, President Carter took 79 days in 4 years, Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years, and Reagan took 335 in 8 years.)

Anyone who criticizes President Obama for playing golf is clearly partisan.

May not be a ton of golf,But this is the President playing while the USA is in a Crisis. He should have much better things to do with his time while we are tanking.

Right, like clearing brush on his ranch while sending people off to die in unnecessary wars. Shame on you, Mr. Obama!

:popcorn:

Obama plays golf instead of deciding whether to send more troops to Afghanistan

For weeks, President Obama has been indecisively dithering about whether to send more troops to Afghanistan to fight what he correctly calls a “war of necessity.” General Stanley A. McChrystal’s report, in which he requests more troops, was issued at the end of August.

The Commander in Chief, taking political heat for not having enough women in his inner circle, found golf a more important political expediency than finally making the Afghan decision. There was so much heat that an article in the New York Times began, “Does the White House feel like a frat house?” Obama apparantly needed headlines proclaiming that he golfs with a woman, more than he needed to make the life and death decision as to whether he will send more troops in support of his “war of necessity.”

Obama’s Afghan indecision has gone on for so long, some wonder if Obama has delayed his long overdo decision until after this year’s gubernatorial elections in New Jersey and Virginia in order to help struggling Democrat candidates Jon Corzine and Craig Deeds. Others have simply concluded that Obama is ignoring Afghanistan and breaking his vow to fight his “war of necessity.”

(Great, we have a man who can't make decisions.Just wonderful.)

http://www.redstate.com/california_yankee/2009/10/25/obama-plays-golf-instead-of-deciding-whether-to-send-more-troops-to-afghanistan/

I thought he was being criticized for not playing with any females. Which again I have no problems with.

That was basketball, not golf and the criticism was that he was giving male members of the house access to him that the female members didn't have. I agree with his critics on this.

I was pretty clear that he didn't golf too much, by most standards. I don't think mentioning that would make me partisan though, just an opinion. I did however ask a question that was never answered. Anyone who thinks that MSNBC, ABC, CNN, etc are not biased must clearly be partisan.

Are you kidding me Lefty?

Your source (redstate.com) is an unapologetic conservative outlet. They don't even try to appear as though they are impartial. Try finding the story on a legitimate news outlet and I'll give it some consideration.

By the way, the "woman" he played golf with was Melody Barnes - his domestic policy adviser.

Give me a break. They try to make it sound like he was on a date. As this site has demonstrated, women like to play golf too.

I was pretty clear that he didn't golf too much, by most standards. I don't think mentioning that would make me partisan though, just an opinion. I did however ask a question that was never answered. Anyone who thinks that MSNBC, ABC, CNN, etc are not biased must clearly be partisan.

That is 100% true. Can you imagine if the Bush administration had cut ties with a partisan news network like the Obama administration has? It would be chaos.

But before we get this thread way too political, we should keep this about his golf game or lock it up.

That was basketball, not golf and the criticism was that he was giving male members of the house access to him that the female members didn't have. I agree with his critics on this.

http://www.shewired.com/Article.cfm?Section=4&ID=23856

Here is that article

Earlier this month President Obama made some sports news. It seems that the New York Times found that he's got a regular basketball game going in the White House and women have been left off all the lineups.

Oops.

The Washington Post caught the sports' fever and found out that since he's been in office he's played golf 23 times -- all with the boys.

Ouch.

It made Lynn Sweet from the Chicago Sun Times ask this question:

"Is there a frat boy or 'boys club' atmosphere in the White House? Yes, there is, I've been told by a few high-level female staffers who are aware that at the highest levels in the White House, Obama huddles most intensely with men. Senior adviser Valerie Jarrett is the exception."

After that, both conservatives and liberals had something to gossip about because even though Obama called the whole thing "bunk," guess who came to that 24th golf game...

A woman. Melody Barnes, his chief domestic policy adviser.

MelodyBarnes.jpg

Now I ask you, what does all this mean? I've scrolled through all the Capital Hill Women and I've got to say there's not a lot that look like avid hoops' players, but golf... I'd say there are some players in that group.

So why no invitations? Maybe the First Lady doesn't want the Leader of the Free World chatting it up with another woman on the links. You know, presidential indiscretions have been known to happen before, but I doubt that's the problem here.

This is what I think:

You can take the president out of the male, but you can't take the male out of the president --which brings up a great rant on how we need a woman president, but I'd just be preaching to the choir. I will say this, though. You got caught President Obama. Now learn from your mistake. Maybe "bunk" is how you feel about it, but that's not the way women feel--now or historically.

I can understand you want to play it careful, so I've got your next tee-off group. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, Democrat from Wisconsin and a toaster-toting lesbian. Match her with Barney Frank, gay Democrat from Massachusetts, and throw in Kay Bailey Hutchison, gun toting Republican Senator from Texas. Just watch her squirm.

Tammy Baldwin

Kay Bailey Huchison

Now that's what I call a solid foursome. Everyone can sleep well that night and maybe even wake up with some great ideas about Healthcare.

Think about it President Obama. Those people aren't competing for the love of the game. They're competing for your attention. Keep sending women the right signals.

Are you kidding me Lefty?

Your source (redstate.com) is an unapologetic conservative outlet. They don't even try to appear as though they are impartial. Try finding the story on a legitimate news outlet and I'll give it some consideration.

By the way, the "woman" he played golf with was Melody Barnes - his domestic policy adviser.

Give me a break. They try to make it sound like he was on a date. As this site has demonstrated, women like to play golf too.

I just did a quick search and that came up.Not like I went searching for the conservative outlet.

That is 100% true. Can you imagine if the Bush administration had cut ties with a partisan news network like the Obama administration has? It would be chaos.

But before we get this thread way too political, we should keep this about his golf game or lock it up.

From what I've seen,he doesn't have much of a game.So that would be a short lived topic :bananadance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back