Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all good either way. I might still need that table saw :)

I've been thinking about buying an old shopsmith to restore, then use for my projects. That should happen some time this spring or summer. Borrowing your table saw might help me get this desk project done before I have a shopsmith ready to use.
    WITB
    Bag: C-130
    Cart: 3.5+
    Driver: Bio Cell+ 9.5*
    Fairway: Amp Cell 3W
    Hybrids: Amp Cell 3H, 4H
    Irons: Speedblade 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour 115g Graphite shafts
    Wedges: RTX 50, 54, 58
    Putter: FGP2 Mallet 38" CB
    Ball: Lethal (till they run out)

Comment

Originally posted by baldguy View Post
      all good either way. I might still need that table saw :)

I've been thinking about buying an old shopsmith to restore, then use for my projects. That should happen some time this spring or summer. Borrowing your table saw might help me get this desk project done before I have a shopsmith ready to use.
      Check pawn shops in your are for a newer one as restoring one can get expensive and hard depending on what parts are need. I am not discouraging it just no that old parts and can be hard to find and expensive as well the blades.
      910D3 8.5*
      910FD 15*
      910H 19*
      DPC w/ recoil
      M1
      330rxs

Comment

Originally posted by golfinFF View Post
        Check pawn shops in your are for a newer one as restoring one can get expensive and hard depending on what parts are need. I am not discouraging it just no that old parts and can be hard to find and expensive as well the blades.
        that's a good idea. I was thinking about restoring one because I really like doing that stuff and it *should* be cheaper as long as I don't get one that is all used up. About a year ago I did some digging and found that restoring those things is quite a popular hobby. Some people have reported huge savings, some have reported small ones, and even a few have said they wish they had just bought a new one. There is a full catalog of Mark V replacement parts available direct from the OEM. I just don't do enough woodworking to justify the cost of a new machine, but if I can restore one for less than the cost of a table saw and a lathe, I'll gain some extra functionality and save some space. And *hopefully* have fun doing the restoration :)

good idea on the pawn shops, though. I hadn't thought of that. I might just score one in good condition for not much... will add that to my places to look before I buy. thanks man!
        WITB

Comment

all good either way. I might still need that table saw :).
          You're more than welcome to it. Heck, if we can find a crappy weather weekend I could be talked into lending a hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Four Up StaDry
          TS3 9.5Smoke
          TS2 16.5Smoke
          816 H1 21* Blue Stiff
          AP3 4-W AMT White X100
          SM7 54 & 60
          Newport 2
          Pro V1X

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
            I built the cabinets we had in our house in GA and various other things through the years. I'd be happy to help or loan a table saw if you don't have one, router or just about anything else you might need. If I have anything you need, you're welcome to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Very cool of you man!!!

I worked in a cabinet shop in a past life ;) Ran the doors and drawers dept. I miss it a ton , recently came back into contact with a friend that is a true master of the medium and has offered me the same opportunity as Matthew has to you Baldguy. just be aware of two thing a real cabinet saw is a world away in both cost and quality from a typical "contractors" table saw you will find at Home depot etc. I am NOT saying you can't get a great result with one just saying there are significant differences in the two !

My buddy has one of these and it is truly amazing, just thought I would share it with you .

I recently picked up a Kreg jig and really really like it.

Hope to see finished pictures of your completed project in the future. good luck

Upon a reread of that I want to clarify , I think it is very Gracious of Matthew to offer you access to his equipment , was a bit bothered by the way my wording sounded.
            In my
            Hybrid bag
            R1
            G5 3, 5, and 7 wood all with NV stiff
            G Irons AWT 2.0 Stiff Shafts
            Smart Sole SW
            Smart Sole C
            Karsten Answer 4

and a poop ton of balls, because, I lose em

sigpic

Comment

a $600 track saw might be out of my budget right now :)

woodworking projects require me to walk a fine line. I want them to be good excuses to buy new tools (who wouldn't?) but if I buy too many and if they're too expensive, then I have to build all of the things my wife wants me to build. While I'm sure I will enjoy the process... I'd never get to play golf again!
              WITB

Comment

Woodworking / Furniture Building

When my miter saw broke a few weeks ago I took the opportunity to completely over do it. With the wife's blessing based on me never needing another miter saw ever.

Of course I also will have a hard time coming up with an excuse when there is a project to be done.

Sorry for the crappy iCloud tapatalk pic.
                Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29
                WITB
                Driver: 2017 M2
                3/5 Woods: 2014 Big Bertha
                4/5 Hybrids: Mashie+
                Irons: Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
                Wedges: RTX3 MB 48/54/58
                Putter: White Hot Pro #3 w/ 2.0
                Ball: ​Z-Star Yellow

Comment

woodworking projects require me to walk a fine line. I want them to be good excuses to buy new tools (who wouldn't?) but if I buy too many and if they're too expensive, then I have to build all of the things my wife wants me to build. While I'm sure I will enjoy the process... I'd never get to play golf again!
                  I only work on house personal projects especially time consuming ones in the winter.
                  910D3 8.5*
                  910FD 15*
                  910H 19*
                  DPC w/ recoil
                  M1
                  330rxs

Comment

Yea it was more of a check this out than suggestion ;) Used my buddies and was beyond impressed with the complete lack of tear out on the panel
                    I totally get it on the price and project levels as well
                    In my
                    Hybrid bag
                    R1
                    G5 3, 5, and 7 wood all with NV stiff
                    G Irons AWT 2.0 Stiff Shafts
                    Smart Sole SW
                    Smart Sole C
                    Karsten Answer 4

and a poop ton of balls, because, I lose em

sigpic

Comment

I was working with a small table saw that I bought at a pawn shop while watching for sales on a larger one. I ended up getting a Rigid from Home Depot that has a fence capable of 36" cuts with a cast iron deck for around $500. I also caught a sale for a compound sliding mitre saw at Sears for $99 that is absolutely perfect for doing cuts up to 8" wide. I bought a router table at a pawn shop for under $50 and it has lasted me 5 years so far and is still going strong. A separate plunge router for under $100 and a DeWalt trim router for $70 on sale. I have a Delta band saw that was under $100 at the pawn shop as well.

I'm a budget shopper for tools and I have amassed a nice setup over the past 8 years or so, most at great prices, but the 2 best investments are without a doubt the big table saw and the sliding compound mitre.

Add in a small air compressor, a trim nailer and a brad nailer, a bunch of clamps and you can accomplish a lot. I have actually had the best luck with harbor freight cheap nailers, every time I bought an expensive one, they didn't last more than 6 months. I think I've had the $17 blue cheapo for 3 or 4 years now.
                      Aeroburner 10.5*
                      Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood
                      915 Hybrid
                      RSi1 Irons 4-PW KBS C-Taper 90
                      Edel Signature Series 50*, 54*
                      PM Grind 58*
                      Ghost Spider Si

Comment

It's hard to beat the lifetime warranty rigid offers, that's for sure.
                        Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29
                        WITB
                        Driver: 2017 M2
                        3/5 Woods: 2014 Big Bertha
                        4/5 Hybrids: Mashie+
                        Irons: Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
                        Wedges: RTX3 MB 48/54/58
                        Putter: White Hot Pro #3 w/ 2.0
                        Ball: ​Z-Star Yellow

Comment

If you can't get a table saw or afford one you can make a rip board out of some 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and use a regular circular saw that will work as well as the festool panel saw as long as u use a good plywood blade.

Another tip is to put blue painters tape down where your cut line will be then mark and cut. This will help eliminate any splintering.

I also recommend fir core plywood made in the USA it is more stable than the crap coming in from china.
                          910D3 8.5*
                          910FD 15*
                          910H 19*
                          DPC w/ recoil
                          M1
                          330rxs

Comment

I don't think I'll be using any plywood for this project - would that same tip work for ripping planks?
                            WITB

Comment

I don't think I'll be using any plywood for this project - would that same tip work for ripping planks?
                              How wide are the planks? If they're under 8", I'm using the sliding compound mitre saw. It's a lot faster and easier.
                              Aeroburner 10.5*
                              Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood
                              915 Hybrid
                              RSi1 Irons 4-PW KBS C-Taper 90
                              Edel Signature Series 50*, 54*
                              PM Grind 58*
                              Ghost Spider Si

Comment

Yes you can its not as easy as the board gets narrower but it can be done and I have done it.

Originally posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
                                How wide are the planks? If they're under 8", I'm using the sliding compound mitre saw. It's a lot faster and easier.
                                That's cross cutting(across the grain)(cutting a 6ft board to a 4ft board), ripping is with the grain(splitting a 2x4 into a 2x2)
                                910D3 8.5*
                                910FD 15*
                                910H 19*
                                DPC w/ recoil
                                M1
                                330rxs

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X