The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking too? I guess golf is just different around here or maybe we've been brainwashed to be ok with 4-5 hr rounds. Heck if I get done with 9 holes in under 2 hours its a pretty fast round.

5 hour rounds make me want to quit golf. True story.

I can see very good golfers doing it especially on a home course, and I never want to play a 4-5 hour round, but to expect an average golfer walking to play a full 18 in 2 hours is a tough ask. 2.5-3 for a duo sounds about right to me.

5 hour rounds make me want to quit golf. True story.

Guess you won’t be coming to Michigan anytime soon then haha.

I really do think it has something to do with the the fact that we are so limited on being able to play around here that when we finally are able to everyone heads to the course. That and courses overbook to get their monies and don’t care about pace especially on weekends. I usually won’t even play after 10am anymore.

Course doesn't allow walking, but haven't you read the threads? Walking is as fast as riding haha.

I think that is part of it. I think slow golf is very selfish, others view it as "its my money and time, I can do what I want as long as I am at the limit or faster". Im not sure there is a right or wrong there, as long as the limit is met, but I will never understand those that say "They aren't playing through, I am with in the pace of play set by the course". Thats like saying if the speed limit is 55, lane squatters should hog the left lane, like Ohioans do in FL half the year. :act-up:

They do it plenty here too haha

I really do think it has something to do with the the fact that we are so limited on being able to play around here that when we finally are able to everyone heads to the course. That and courses overbook to get their monies and don’t care about pace especially on weekends. I usually won’t even play after 10am anymore.

When I’m with a group or in an event/tournament is the only time I can stand it.

But, I also never play on the weekends other than those situations because I deplore slow play.

I’ve got too much to do in life than to donate that much time every time I want a round of golf.

I can see very good golfers doing it especially on a home course, and I never want to play a 4-5 hour round, but to expect an average golfer walking to play a full 18 in 2 hours is a tough ask. 2.5-3 for a duo sounds about right to me.
And that's if they hit it even fairly well, don't chat along the way, don't need to help each other look for balls, etc..

I like the social dynamic of golf alot, the round I played Sunday was torture because the people I was with were just so boring & odd

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skill level has very little to do with pace. Its about being ready to hit the ball, pre-shot routines, etc. Played with many a golfer that can't break 100 and gets around quickly, just as I have played with many a single digit that plods around the course.

Despite what many think, the correlation is not really there.

My dad and I rode together and did 18 in like 2.5 hours, if I ride solo I can do it in about 1.75. Walking I’d have to imagine it would be closer to 2.5 solo if there was no one else out there. I do like to keep a brisk pace, nothing worse than a five hour round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skill level has very little to do with pace. Its about being ready to hit the ball, pre-shot routines, etc. Played with many a golfer that can't break 100 and gets around quickly, just as I have played with many a single digit that plods around the course.

Well then play with me and get a 2 hour round in lol. I spend a lot of time in the woods. I play quickly though, and play ready golf. If I am on the green and someone else is in the bunker and they are still walking or figuring out the shot, I am taking my putt.

FWIW, I play 18 with my playing partner Tim (some THPers have met him) and we can play in less than 2 hours without rushing at all and have time to talk all about life, politics, etc.

Thats not to say that everybody should be held to that pace, but if someone wants to chat on the tee boxes and greens, that's cool as long as they are on pace, just let faster players play through.

Exactly this. If there is a faster group behind you and it's open ahead of you, you let them through. It doesn't matter if you are on pace or not. I don't play 18 in 2 hours by any means. But, I think our group could get around in just about 3 hours if we didn't have anyone ahead of us. Some folks have an issue letting groups through. I never understood it.

Well then play with me and get a 2 hour round in lol. I spend a lot of time in the woods. I play quickly though, and play ready golf. If I am on the green and someone else is in the bunker and they are still walking or figuring out the shot, I am taking my putt.

You could not spend that much time in the woods, right?

You could not spend that much time in the woods, right?

I am joking, kind of. I tend to play out of the rough or trees but I do not spend a ton of time looking. If I cant find it quickly I will drop and move on.

I could casually walk nine at my old course in an hour and fifteen. I bet I could do it in an hour where I play now if there wasn't a crowd.

Amen.

My HS kids are taught from day one to play ready golf. The boys are way better about it than the girls, but it was year one with them. Even my beginners know the value of pace and ready golf, makes a world of difference.

Amen.

My HS kids are taught from day one to play ready golf. The boys are way better about it than the girls, but it was year one with them. Even my beginners know the value of pace and ready golf, makes a world of difference.

I was thinking more of looking for the ball, and going back to the tee box to re hit, and so on not their actual pace of place. I play ready golf but no doubt I will take longer than you to get around a course just on the basics of more shots, and more looking. I play 18 usually at the 3 hour mark riding with a duo so I feel I play quick enough, but its just inherent that I will take longer due to the skill difference.

I was thinking more of looking for the ball, and going back to the tee box to re hit, and so on not their actual pace of place. I play ready golf but no doubt I will take longer than you to get around a course just on the basics of more shots, and more looking. I play 18 usually at the 3 hour mark riding with a duo so I feel I play quick enough, but its just inherent that I will take longer due to the skill difference.

The provisional is your friend :alien:

That’s another thing I preach to them, when in doubt, declare a provisional to your group to keep from having to go back to the tee.

Exactly this. If there is a faster group behind you and it's open ahead of you, you let them through. It doesn't matter if you are on pace or not. I don't play 18 in 2 hours by any means. But, I think our group could get around in just about 3 hours if we didn't have anyone ahead of us. Some folks have an issue letting groups through. I never understood it.

that's where i am too. if i'm playing a comfortable pace and a faster group comes up, let them through assuming it's open in front of you. i don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

The provisional is your friend :alien:

That’s another thing I preach to them, when in doubt, declare a provisional to your group to keep from having to go back to the tee.

Absolutely, but I am going to go look for that first shot for a minute or so lol.

Absolutely, but I am going to go look for that first shot for a minute or so lol.

Oh for sure! That’s the beauty of the provisional though, you find that first one, you’re good to go!

that's where i am too. if i'm playing a comfortable pace and a faster group comes up, let them through assuming it's open in front of you. i don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

i've purposely not let a group play through before because they only played fast to prove one of our foursome was slow (having a bad round). Other 3 of us were picking up the slack for him and I refused to do it because that just wasn't right to him.

Amen.

How do your faster players deal with it when they're paired up with a player that is significantly slower than them?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Geez, go do stuff for a few hours and come back to all of these posts.

FWIW, the first time those guys waited on us was on 16. Then the guy yelled on 17. Seemed a bit aggressive in my eyes.

@Jman, 2 hours walking is insane to me. If you do that with others in the group, more power to you.

FWIW, the first time those guys waited on us was on 16. Then the guy yelled on 17. Seemed a bit aggressive in my eyes.

@Jman, 2 hours walking is insane to me. If you do that with others in the group, more power to you.
Haha, yelling on 17 is a dbag move for sure.

We do, usually one or two of my HS kiddos in the summer. If it’s my one or two bags we can usually knock out the first round walking in 2-2.5, then we usually ride one or two more rounds depending on the day.

I wasn't saying you guys were in the wrong whatsoever. I was more or less making a general observation relating to pace of play.

I can see why it should be a non issue that late in the round. I also think they are Jack offs for cussing about it in the pro shop after the round. Especially for yelling on the course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The standard of overbooking where tee time gaps are 8mins for public courses is not exclusive to Michigan. It’s the norm for my local courses for sure and is really apparent on the weekends. I’ve gotten to the point where I try to play during the weekdays because courses are mostly deserted. The hell with work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back