The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp today is interview day for the manager's job. Dress clothes are so uncomfortable and as a plump human ITS HOT! I am glad I only have to wear suits 1-2 times a year.

kind of a long and rambling post, but tl;dr i'm crossing my fingers that this works out, where my wife is probably hoping it doesn't

my wife is a pharmacist. she has good earning potential. the problem is, she doesn't really love the profession. that said, it's a struggle to make ends meet on just my income. so she floats at stores when the fte takes pto. there's another type of work the company does that she would prefer to do, but they only hire fte no part-timers. she's been asking for years for a 20hr/wk position at this location, but is always told they don't do that, only fte. well, wouldn't you know, the company just hired a 20hr/wk employee who just so happens to be the wife of the vp of the company. what a coincidence! my wife is obviously very frustrated by this.

but she found out they are going to open a 30hr/wk position. that's more than she wants to work, but it would be an opportunity to get face-time with the management of that location, and maybe get a 20hr/wk position if they open one up. the woman they just hired for that 20hr job is commuting over an hour a day, so she could definitely burn out, and my wife wants to be considered if it becomes available.

it will take some logistical schedule juggling, and my busy season will be a challenge for my kids. but it would be game-changing to have that extra income, and it may be a step in the direction she's been trying to go for years. i'm excited about it, she is focusing on all the reasons not to do it.

Why is she so uninterested in working? Is it fueled by the kids?

Why is she so uninterested in working? Is it fueled by the kids?

i wish i knew. she has tremendous earning potential, and is brilliant. much smarter than i am. she is also loved by everyone she works with, and the customers as well.

i think she just doesn't love the profession she chose. she also wants to pursue hobbies and personal interests, maybe some volunteer work that she will find more rewarding.

i wish i knew. she has tremendous earning potential, and is brilliant. much smarter than i am. she is also loved by everyone she works with, and the customers as well.

i think she just doesn't love the profession she chose. she also wants to pursue hobbies and personal interests, maybe some volunteer work that she will find more rewarding.

There's big money in Pharmacy and honestly a few different ways to be a part of that profession. I can understand not wanting to deal with people on a daily basis but with the money they make (at least here in Ohio) I'd let it ride for a few years making bank and laughing the whole way.

They have these large office-like settings here where all Pharmacists do is check prescriptions on a computer all day. If she doesn't like dealing with people, tell her to go full drone for a while in one of those haha

Good luck man!

Appreciate it, interview went very well. Wasn't too intimidated or nervous as I know all of the managers and the role. I was on that team before moving to my current role on another team on the floor. Now we will see where it goes.

There's big money in Pharmacy and honestly a few different ways to be a part of that profession. I can understand not wanting to deal with people on a daily basis but with the money they make (at least here in Ohio) I'd let it ride for a few years making bank and laughing the whole way.

They have these large office-like settings here where all Pharmacists do is check prescriptions on a computer all day. If she doesn't like dealing with people, tell her to go full drone for a while in one of those haha

They have 2 of those here for Atrium Health. A huge center in this business park by the airport that has like 2500 people working there that it is all back office well paid folks. My wife would go there if the drive wasn't insane, and she didn't love her current role.

that's the exact setup of the 30hr position that came available, and what she wants to do for 20hr/wk. it's super boring, but much less stress than what she's doing now.

that's the exact setup of the 30hr position that came available, and what she wants to do for 20hr/wk. it's super boring, but much less stress than what she's doing now.
There something to be said for super boring.

That's the kind of job I'm in now. I go to work, sit there for 8 hours, then go home some days. Some of those days are my O/T days so I'm getting paid 50% more to do less. Even on "busy" days, I might work 3-4 hours out of 8. I don't make alot, but I make enough. It's to the point where I'm not real excited about trying to find a better job because, while instead to make a few thousand more each year, I'd probably work more to get it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I played 18 with a good buddy of mine at his club today. Most of the people at his club walk, so that's what we were doing today. I've played the course before so figuring out the holes wasn't an issue, but I wasn't playing my best so there were a couple of searches for my ball at times. I say all of this because on about hole 14, we start noticing a 3-some behind us that is catching up to us. We're walking off of the 15th green to the 16th tee (directly behind 15th green) and my buddy says "we're playing fine, those guys are playing FAST."

Then we're on the 17th green and the 3-some is on the 17th tee, and one of the guys yells as us "COME ON!" while my buddy is lining up his par putt. It was really shocking, especially for a private course. After my buddy putted, I hurriedly hit my par putt (made it, thankfully) and made sure I hit my drive quick on the 18th.

We get done on 18 and my buddy looks down at his watch. He tells me that we played 18 holes in 3:10!

So I'm driving back home and I get a call from him. He tells me that the guy that was angry in the 3-some behind us came into the pro shop after the round and looked right at him and said something to the effect of "This f******* a****** plays too slow!" My buddy asks him what he thought the pace for a 2-some should be for 18 holes, and the guy says "2 hours." Then my buddy tries to apologize to the other guy and shake his hand, and the other guy refuses it.

My buddy is going to file a complaint with his club, especially because he had a guest with him at the time (myself). I guess some people just want to be mad at the world about something. I know that pace of play is a big issue in the golf world, but this seemed out of line.

So I played 18 with a good buddy of mine at his club today. Most of the people at his club walk, so that's what we were doing today. I've played the course before so figuring out the holes wasn't an issue, but I wasn't playing my best so there were a couple of searches for my ball at times. I say all of this because on about hole 14, we start noticing a 3-some behind us that is catching up to us. We're walking off of the 15th green to the 16th tee (directly behind 15th green) and my buddy says "we're playing fine, those guys are playing FAST."

Then we're on the 17th green and the 3-some is on the 17th tee, and one of the guys yells as us "COME ON!" while my buddy is lining up his par putt. It was really shocking, especially for a private course. After my buddy putted, I hurriedly hit my par putt (made it, thankfully) and made sure I hit my drive quick on the 18th.

We get done on 18 and my buddy looks down at his watch. He tells me that we played 18 holes in 3:10!

So I'm driving back home and I get a call from him. He tells me that the guy that was angry in the 3-some behind us came into the pro shop after the round and looked right at him and said something to the effect of "This f******* a****** plays too slow!" My buddy asks him what he thought the pace for a 2-some should be for 18 holes, and the guy says "2 hours." Then my buddy tries to apologize to the other guy and shake his hand, and the other guy refuses it.

My buddy is going to file a complaint with his club, especially because he had a guest with him at the time (myself). I guess some people just want to be mad at the world about something. I know that pace of play is a big issue in the golf world, but this seemed out of line.

I’ll stand by my thought that if people are in that much of a rush, maybe golf isn’t for them. You guys were not slow by any means imo.

I’ll stand by my thought that if people are in that much of a rush, maybe golf isn’t for them. You guys were not slow by any means imo.

I hadn't seen my friend in a few months, so we were chatting a bit on the tees and greens, but that's pretty standard stuff. Never in a million years would I have thought someone would have wanted to play faster than we were doing. I guess I can understand if a 3-some catches a 2-some that the 3-some might want the 2-some to play faster, but yelling at the group in front from 200 yards away? Not cool at all on any course.

I hadn't seen my friend in a few months, so we were chatting a bit on the tees and greens, but that's pretty standard stuff. Never in a million years would I have thought someone would have wanted to play faster than we were doing. I guess I can understand if a 3-some catches a 2-some that the 3-some might want the 2-some to play faster, but yelling at the group in front from 200 yards away? Not cool at all on any course.

I agree, part of golf is the conversations and enjoying your surroundings. As long as you’re not holding anyone up (it took them a while to catch you guy it seems) I don’t see the harm in it.

I just think some people have unrealistic time expectations for a round of golf.

2 hours for 18 holes? LOL thats laughable. I've walked 18 holes solo before and finished in a little under 3 hours. Maybe he was training for speed golf? Geez

2 hours for 18 holes? LOL thats laughable. I've walked 18 holes solo before and finished in a little under 3 hours. Maybe he was training for speed golf? Geez

That's under 7 minutes a hole. People are stupid.

That's under 7 minutes a hole. People are stupid.
I guess if you're shootin' 55 on an empty course it might be feasible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not laughable really, that’s my walking pace in the summer.

Mad respect for anyone who can play 18 holes in 2 hours, but to expect everyone else to be that fast is ridiculous, bordering on delusion.

Thats crazy. Im not saying it's not doable (assuming nobody is in front of you and your solo) but seems like everything would be rushed. If you're playing in a threesome with people in front of you to expect a 2hr round is laughable in my opinion.

I can do that as well, but, a little excessive to expect it from others. especially that aggressively.

Thats crazy. Im not saying it's not doable (assuming nobody is in front of you and your solo) but seems like everything would be rushed. If you're playing in a threesome with people in front of you to expect a 2hr round is laughable in my opinion.

Eh, different strokes. Not everyone has all day to spend on the course. My point was the pace is doable in the right situation, never rushed when I do it, I just keep the ball in play and the pace goes well.

I can do that as well, but, a little excessive to expect it from others. especially that aggressively.

Oh yeah, the example was aggressive. My point was calling 2 hours laughable depends on the situation. It can be done, and done enjoyably as well.

Eh, different strokes. Not everyone has all day to spend on the course. My point was the pace is doable in the right situation, never rushed when I do it, I just keep the ball in play and the pace goes well.

FWIW, I play 18 with my playing partner Tim (some THPers have met him) and we can play in less than 2 hours without rushing at all and have time to talk all about life, politics, etc.

Thats not to say that everybody should be held to that pace, but if someone wants to chat on the tee boxes and greens, that's cool as long as they are on pace, just let faster players play through.

FWIW, I play 18 with my playing partner Tim (some THPers have met him) and we can play in less than 2 hours without rushing at all and have time to talk all about life, politics, etc.

Thats not to say that everybody should be held to that pace, but if someone wants to chat on the tee boxes and greens, that's cool as long as they are on pace, just let faster players play through.

Walking too? I guess golf is just different around here or maybe we've been brainwashed to be ok with 4-5 hr rounds. Heck if I get done with 9 holes in under 2 hours its a pretty fast round.

Walking too? I guess golf is just different around here or maybe we've been brainwashed to be ok with 4-5 hr rounds. Heck if I get done with 9 holes in under 2 hours its a pretty fast round.

Course doesn't allow walking, but haven't you read the threads? Walking is as fast as riding haha.

I think that is part of it. I think slow golf is very selfish, others view it as "its my money and time, I can do what I want as long as I am at the limit or faster". Im not sure there is a right or wrong there, as long as the limit is met, but I will never understand those that say "They aren't playing through, I am with in the pace of play set by the course". Thats like saying if the speed limit is 55, lane squatters should hog the left lane, like Ohioans do in FL half the year. :act-up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back