iPad pro 12.9 inch has been acquired for work. First week in I love the pencil and the note taking options for it. Also could see where it's almost like a 3rd monitor for me due to the size

So while I had a keyboard case, I didnt Like the weight of it, so went and picked up the Apple travel cover and think its going to work out well for travel. Light weight and with it on, it fits in my briefcase well

Big fan of Spark Mail. Actually liked it so much, I added it to my iPhone as well.

The new iPad OS is going to try to make the bridge closer.
Mouse Support and External HD support. Catching up to other tablets that have had that for years. The new OS looks solid.

They add FCPX support and I could ditch the MacBook Pro and just have iPad and 27” iMac.

I'm having the same mental battle right now as well. I've had my MacBook Pro for 3-years and just about ready for the upgrade, and think I can get away with just and iPad. 90% of what I do is on web-based software, taking notes from interviews with some reporting and spreadsheeting in Google Docs. I also use the laptop on flights to binge watch shows, so I could reduce weight there.

There is a guy at work with the iPad Pro that seems to be managing quite well, so thinking I might go that way as well, but need a good keyboard to go with it.

The new iPad OS is going to try to make the bridge closer.
Mouse Support and External HD support. Catching up to other tablets that have had that for years. The new OS looks solid.

What’s the timeline for that new OS?

I'm having the same mental battle right now as well. I've had my MacBook Pro for 3-years and just about ready for the upgrade, and think I can get away with just and iPad. 90% of what I do is on web-based software, taking notes from interviews with some reporting and spreadsheeting in Google Docs. I also use the laptop on flights to binge watch shows, so I could reduce weight there.

There is a guy at work with the iPad Pro that seems to be managing quite well, so thinking I might go that way as well, but need a good keyboard to go with it.

@JB seems to be loving his apple keyboard so far.

The update was done on my iPad and it is working well.
Mouse support is fantastic. I couldn’t get Magic Mouse 2 to connect, but my roller ball with dongle is working extremely well. That could be super helpful. External HD support...Not working for me yet.

I forgot about the update. Time to check it out.

Ipad Pro with keyboard can fulfill most road needs, strap it to O365 and keep your glasses close and it should save you a couple of pounds.

The update was done on my iPad and it is working well.
Mouse support is fantastic. I couldn’t get Magic Mouse 2 to connect, but my roller ball with dongle is working extremely well. That could be super helpful. External HD support...Not working for me yet.
I was able to get my trackpad working with my iPad with no issues. It’s kind of amazing :eek:

I’m excited now. I figured out the swype keyboard. Which also makes it smaller. This is great!!

So after a couple of days using a keyboard and a mouse with my iPad I’m more and more thinking I won’t buy another laptop.

The mouse support needs some work for sure, but I’m really really liking the mouse on the iPad overall. I’ve had the keyboard for a while, and I think I want a slightly different setup, mostly since this keyboard isn’t part of a case, and it makes taking the whole combo assembly anywhere a minor pain, with all the assorted pieces.

For overall use though, I’m pretty thrilled.

So after a couple of days using a keyboard and a mouse with my iPad I’m more and more thinking I won’t buy another laptop.

The mouse support needs some work for sure, but I’m really really liking the mouse on the iPad overall. I’ve had the keyboard for a while, and I think I want a slightly different setup, mostly since this keyboard isn’t part of a case, and it makes taking the whole combo assembly anywhere a minor pain, with all the assorted pieces.

For overall use though, I’m pretty thrilled.

yeah the mouse is not great

yeah the mouse is not great

I had to spend some time tweaking it to make it usable. Adjusting the size of the cursor and the response speed helped some. The lack of gesture support for the track pad is annoying.

This new update is wreaking havoc on my ipad. Screen freezes every few minutes. You would think the 2 updates they have done since iPad OS would fix it, but only making it worse.

I have a Mac Desktop that i use at the house for work and personal use. If i travel i take my laptop. I use an iPad for flying my drone.

Updated my Mac to macOS 10.15 yesterday and the ability to use the iPad as a second monitor is absolutely fantastic for doing work on the go.

Used the iPad for an all-day meeting yesterday. iPad OS added subtle but helpful functionality. I didn’t miss the laptop at all. Rocking split screen and nice to grab and reference agenda/announcements during MC duties.

The mouse was the big sticking point for me with the ipad. With that sorted, and since almost all my corporate work is done via Citrix and remote desktops, there's no reason to not use the ipad. It has a smaller screen, but most of the newer/modern laptops have long given up larger screens anyway..... So I guess more squinting for me! :geek:

The Surface Pro's look like the best of both worlds, but I do not know how well they handle video editing and whatnot which I am sure you have to rely on. You also may have some Mac specific stuff that may limit Surface use. Microsoft has really stepped their game up since Satya Nadella took over as CEO 5 years ago. We are rolling out Power BI at my employer and it is an amazing business tool. I think it will be to the next 20 years of data what Excel was to data from the 1980's moving forward.

The Surface Pro's look like the best of both worlds, but I do not know how well they handle video editing and whatnot which I am sure you have to rely on. You also may have some Mac specific stuff that may limit Surface use. Microsoft has really stepped their game up since Satya Nadella took over as CEO 5 years ago. We are rolling out Power BI at my employer and it is an amazing business tool. I think it will be to the next 20 years of data what Excel was to data from the 1980's moving forward.

I think the Surface Pro is a superior machine all the way around, outside of battery life. Sadly, I don't work with Premier, which I would most likely need to to make a switch, so I am stuck with this "pro" model that doesn't run any of Apple's Pro apps.

The mouse was the big sticking point for me with the ipad. With that sorted, and since almost all my corporate work is done via Citrix and remote desktops, there's no reason to not use the ipad. It has a smaller screen, but most of the newer/modern laptops have long given up larger screens anyway..... So I guess more squinting for me! :geek:

I think there has been a mouse you can use with Citrix for a while too without resorting to the accessibility options. I don’t know if it works with Remote Desktop though

I think the Surface Pro is a superior machine all the way around, outside of battery life. Sadly, I don't work with Premier, which I would most likely need to to make a switch, so I am stuck with this "pro" model that doesn't run any of Apple's Pro apps.

I tend to agree with you, as the ability to have a single device plus a cheap tablet like an iPad mini for purely consumption things would be ideal. Right now I kind of need a laptop and my iPad because I do so much with text.

The thing that drove me insane the most with the surface is that the machine would lose 10-15% of battery while sleeping over two days. In the same time my iPad (and my Macs for that matter) lose at most 1%.

Back