Which Sport Has the Fittest Athletes?

My bad on the power lifting remark, clearly I don't participate in either.

And I would definitely think of paintball as a sport.

Right. But by your definition, those players are more fit than a sprinter or marathon runner, swimmer, or cyclist.

I can get with what you're laying down.

Correct. overall fitness wise. It's still a weird sport haha. I'd say lacrosse takes the cake over hurling though, but I'm way biased.

Nobody has given a definition of what is "fit". I lean heavily that strength is far more important than long distance running ability.
But we are talking about FITNESS level in this thread, not strength. Big difference.
Seriously .

If someone is in crossfit and they don't mention it within 5 minutes of meeting you it's a miracle .

It's like a cult .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First rule of crossfit, tell everyone you went to crossfit.
But distance running isn't healthy. I mean, there are countless stories of heart failure among runners. "Healthy" is a moving target and is wildly dependent on genetics.

Likewise, "fitness" is more than just long distance endurance. If somebody wants to define fitness as the ability to run, bike, or swim a long ways for a long time, that's on them.

How many countless stories are there of dudes having heart attacks while trying to lift an insane amount of weight?

I never thought any conversation could top forged vs cast.

So does Paint Ball.
I would argue every one of the things I listed there does as well in some capacities.
And why is everything else a sport at all levels, but crossfit only at the high level? The rest of the time its called the gym or working out :D

This is a discussion I had with some friends of mine who are also CrossFit coaches...basically, there's CrossFit the "regimen" of instruction and metabolic conditioning that the average affiliate offers. And then there's CrossFit the sport, training for which is mostly Olympic lifts and gymnastics done at a different pace than a pure Olympic lifter to improve anaerobic capacity. At one point in time those two worlds were pretty close together, and people who really like CrossFit still want to think they're pretty close together...but they're not. Right now I'd say they're like softball and baseball, but that's probably underestimating how much measurably better a professional CrossFit athlete is at, say, the "girls" than the guy at your local affiliate who can RX every workout. It's like a scratch golfer to a tour pro.

Here's one for Blu, Robert Forsterman, German Track cyclist...

DWUoDQB.jpg

And a fun video of him and "strength"...

I like the competitive eating argument. Those guys tick a lot of the qualifying boxes mentioned in here.

WWE wrestlers. They also have to act too.

I like the competitive eating argument. Those guys tick a lot of the qualifying boxes mentioned in here.

Based on what else is out there, they sure do.

Athlete!
Takeru+Kobayashi+Challenges+2011+Nathan+Famous+0aNQSubIAfdl.jpg

Based on what else is out there, they sure do.

Athlete!
Takeru+Kobayashi+Challenges+2011+Nathan+Famous+0aNQSubIAfdl.jpg

Ping-pong too. I hear Flexo-Lite pays people who don't even really play with their paddle. They just say they do.

Ping-pong too. I hear Flexo-Lite pays people who don't even really play with their paddle. They just say they do.

So long as they use a Flexo-Lite head cover, I don't think anyone really cares.

world class swimmers, look at Olympic record holder Michael Phelps, hard to argue he was not one of the fittest

Soccer and motocross.

But we are talking about FITNESS level in this thread, not strength. Big difference.

First rule of crossfit, tell everyone you went to crossfit.

How many countless stories are there of dudes having heart attacks while trying to lift an insane amount of weight?

I never thought any conversation could top forged vs cast.
What's cool, you classify fitness as "cardiovascular endurance". I don't. We have different experiences and "areas of excellence". Although, you do have an SEC Championship ring.

What's cool, you classify fitness as "cardiovascular endurance". I don't.
I honestly don't see how anyone can reasonably exclude cardiovascular endurance as a measure of fitness.

What's cool, you classify fitness as "cardiovascular endurance". I don't. We have different experiences and "areas of excellence". Although, you do have an SEC Championship ring.

I race bicycles, both road and mountain at a very high level.

I also have played Football at a decently high level.

I train in the gym the same way for both.

Fit is such a broad term, i dont know if id say runners because although they may have cardiovascular health, they are weak as hell lol

My answer goes towards hockey players, gymnasts, or even skiers are in damn good shape all around. Then again you've got guys like Lebron who have the whole package lol

Fit is such a broad term, i dont know if id say runners because although they may have cardiovascular health, they are weak as hell lol
Really?

A lot of strength training goes into running at the upper levels (starting in DI competition, and into the professional circuit).

Last edited:
Really? Back when I ran X-C and T&F in college, I could bench press more than double my weight, and easily squat three times as much. Weak?
Thats not the majority dude, marathon runners certainly arent putting up those numbers. Oh and 2x bench and 3x squat is impressive.

Really? Back when I ran X-C and T&F in college, I could bench press 220 multiple times, and easily squat twice my own weight. Weak?

A lot of strength training goes into running at the upper levels (starting in DI competition, and into the professional circuit).

*For a kid who weighed 140, that's nothing to sneeze at IMO.
This dude is weak too

eabbb68f4a7800e13f965292b0e8659b.jpg

Im talking marathon runners guys, i didnt mean sprinters. Show me a 150 marathoner and then show me a 300lb bench and 420 squat lol wont happen

Thats not the majority dude, marathon runners certainly arent putting up those numbers. Oh and 2x bench and 3x squat is impressive.
Not exactly ... I can't do math and post at the same time it seems.

Marathon runners are a different breed, I'll admit, but a lot of runners are plenty strong, particularly in their legs. We used to get ragged on by the sprinters all the time, to the point where I finally decided to do squats with them and held my own. That quieted them down a fair bit.

I honestly don't see how anyone can reasonably exclude cardiovascular endurance as a measure of fitness.
Cardiovascular endurance is a big part of "fitness". Just not the biggest factor to me. Sprinters tend to have good ratios because fast twitch fibers are huge.

Back