Srixon Z 585 Irons and Z 785 Irons

I may be one of the few, but I can see the 585/AP2 comparison, construction wise they’re more similar than a 785/AP2 comparison. IMO, the 785 and the 718 CB’s are closer in profile, CB’s might be a little smaller, but they’re both solid player CB’s with mass behind the sweet spot. As opposed to a thin faced deep cut CB. Just my 2¢.

Got to hit most of the the line today, tried out a bunch of iron shafts. I was going in figuring KBS Tour 120 Stiff was gonna be my #1 but Trackman said my best height, ball speed, spin and carry was with the DG 105 S300. Even beat out my gamer CMB with Modus 105. The feel was signature Srixon butter. 785 felt the best and the 585 just a touch crisper feel but still great! As you can see the blade length is almost identical to my CMB's, even the 585 but with a thicker V sole. Top line a touch thicker but again close. Offset minimal!

Last pic is CMB vs 785

I spent some time with the 785 Driver as well. Very impressed. Feels solid and powerful! Also launched much higher than my M1 10.5 which made me happy. The size of the 785 is very appealing seems like I can work the ball vs my M1. I hit the stock handcrafted Hzrdus Black in 6.0 thinking it would be too stout for me but I had no issues turning it over or launching it. I truly believe they built the head to be optimized with that shaft The ball just springs of the face felt explosive!

I also hit the U85, didn't hit that well but prob just me. The hybrid though was so easy to hit and fell in love instantly!

IMG_5203.jpg
IMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5205.jpg
IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5208.jpg

So I just saw on IG where Srixon mentioned they have a blade style iron releasing in the spring!

Not sure if this has been discussed or not but I’m excited to see they didn’t completely absolve the blade style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see that Srixon continues to keep everything good about the z-series . I'm a huge fan of mine and knowing the most refined version yet will be on offer for a couple years makes me happy. My experience with z745's has been ideal, exactly what I wanted and more. So predictable, and such good feedback.

Got to hit most of the the line today, tried out a bunch of iron shafts. I was going in figuring KBS Tour 120 Stiff was gonna be my #1 but Trackman said my best height, ball speed, spin and carry was with the DG 105 S300. Even beat out my gamer CMB with Modus 105. The feel was signature Srixon butter. 785 felt the best and the 585 just a touch crisper feel but still great! As you can see the blade length is almost identical to my CMB's, even the 585 but with a thicker V sole. Top line a touch thicker but again close. Offset minimal!

Last pic is CMB vs 785

I spent some time with the 785 Driver as well. Very impressed. Feels solid and powerful! Also launched much higher than my M1 10.5 which made me happy. The size of the 785 is very appealing seems like I can work the ball vs my M1. I hit the stock handcrafted Hzrdus Black in 6.0 thinking it would be too stout for me but I had no issues turning it over or launching it. I truly believe they built the head to be optimized with that shaft The ball just springs of the face felt explosive!

I also hit the U85, didn't hit that well but prob just me. The hybrid though was so easy to hit and fell in love instantly!

View attachment 34860
View attachment 34861
View attachment 34862
View attachment 34863
View attachment 34864

Thanks for sharing!

I’m a fan of releases that the clubs are available with in a few weeks of launch.

I’m a fan of releases that the clubs are available with in a few weeks of launch.

That is definitely the way to go in my book, to me it just doesn’t make sense to lose the buzz before they’re available. This seems really fast though, 2 1/2 weeks or so.

That is definitely the way to go in my book, to me it just doesn’t make sense to lose the buzz before they’re available. This seems really fast though, 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Srixon running a tight ship - good vibes

Had a chance to hit these irons and all I could say was wow. Performance is strong. Feel was nice and they are nothing if not consistent. The 585's we're really easy to hit. The 785's we're obviously less forgiving but I like their aesthetics much better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just ordered a set of 785's 4-9. Actually was surprised at how forgiving they are. I was debating between a split set with the 585s and ultimately decided that the 585s were too clunky. Can't wait for them to get in. Also, went back to gold. Probably won't get rid of my 765s for a while but I was really happy with the feel. Hope the dg x100 feel as good as my 130s

So, I spent an hour hitting the 585's, 785's and the Ping i500's yesterday and came away surprised with the results. First, I will not be playing the i500's as I was 95% sure I would be. I just loved the Srixons that much. Secondly, I will not be playing the 785's either. When I first saw these clubs in photos, I thought the 5's would be too clunky, and not workable, but that is not the case at all. I was pleasantly surprised to see how similar these set up to one another. I started hitting the 7's first and they felt great. They did feel a little harsh on mishit's, but that's expected with clubs of this profile. While the shaft was being changed out to the 5's ( Modus3 105's ) I hit the Pings. I hit them further and higher than the 7's and I still liked the feel of them. That was until I hit the 5's with the Modus. I was hitting them as high as the pings and a little further. The first one felt so, so good I was instantly hooked. I was able to move the ball around enough that my initial worry about not being able to do so was forgotten. Mis-hits didn't feel nearly as harsh as the 7's and they were a little louder than the 7's, but not anywhere near as loud as the Pings. Both of these are legit. I have no prior experience with Srixon Irons and I'm glad I waited until i had the chance to spend some time with them before ordering the Pings. I am Getting fitted next weekend and going with 4-A in the 5's. I may change my mind during the fitting and go with a combo, but I am going to have the Z85 series in the bag shortly. Glad I waited.

I may be one of the few, but I can see the 585/AP2 comparison, construction wise they’re more similar than a 785/AP2 comparison. IMO, the 785 and the 718 CB’s are closer in profile, CB’s might be a little smaller, but they’re both solid player CB’s with mass behind the sweet spot. As opposed to a thin faced deep cut CB. Just my 2¢.

Oh man, I don't think the 7 series is anywhere near as small as Titleist CBs. At least that's what I remembered....

Oh man, I don't think the 7 series is anywhere near as small as Titleist CBs. At least that's what I remembered....

The 785s are a little bit larger heel to toe, but feel similar. Both are not small. Really the only thing that feels small that is in the regular retail market is the p730. But where things get weird is the fact the 718 cb is more similar of construction with the 585 with a forged body with a welded face. Really the 718 cb is just odd in the lineup now with being so close to the ap2.

The 585s just had a really wide sole for me and felt a bit clunky through the turf. If the sole width doesn't bother you too much then the 585s are pretty solid.

I've been thinking about this line for the last few days. I've traditionally been a fan of the 5 series, but I'm tempted to look more closely at the 7's. Or maybe even a bit of a mix.

I've been thinking about this line for the last few days. I've traditionally been a fan of the 5 series, but I'm tempted to look more closely at the 7's. Or maybe even a bit of a mix.

Split set! YES!

85 line seems to have made a clearer delineation between 5 and 7, and that's a good thing imho. i think i would go 585 4i-5i, 785 6i-gw.

Psst. Let me know

I might buy the AW in the near future. These things are great! I’ve had great ball striking has been better with these irons.

My 585's arrived a few days ago and I have had 2 range sessions. Very impressed with what I am seeing so far. Might play Thursday but definitely playing Sunday and I am looking forward to getting them on the course

Had the chance to play this little course Saturday...was pretty nice.... :)

But have developed a big sore wrist, due to me over swinging with my right hand...and is sprain/straining it...So will be having to hold off a little on much in the way of reviews (ok who am I kidding I will just take pain meds)

long story short, have not hit these at a range, do not know the number son the irons yet, however, when on or near the sweet spot, these are BUTTERY smooth...The heads feel literally like they CUT through the turf, the v sole is amazing!!!

will write lots more about these, but will be a little sporadic as season is winding down a little.

Turf interaction with the 585s is great. Pretty darn impressed top to bottom with these heads.

Got to hit the 585 Saturday paired with a Recoil 95 F4 shaft.

WOW

Looking down at it at address really shows no sign of being in the "GI" grouping at all. With that said, the ball doesn't just jump off the face like a normal GI head would feel like. You still know where it came off the face but is so soft and smooth.

Srixon REALLY has made ground in the iron line the past few years. I loved hitting the 65 series so much I picked up the 765 line. I didn't hit the 785 as I didn't have time but I have heard there is a good change from the 65 line. Not sure good or bad....

They really have hit it out of the park again with the Z iron lines. If you havnt tried them, you really need to. Thank me later!

Hello has anyone compared the z585 to the Callaway Rogue Pros?
Thank you

Thank you

I have not compared them side by side, but I have played both of them on the course. They both are great irons. The Rogue Pros set up more blade-like. The Rogues are shorter from toe to heel. Although obviously subjective, I think the Srixons feel softer. The Srixons are more forgiving, imo. In terms of objective data, I think they are pretty much equally long, with a similar ball flight and similar spin. My personal preference goes to the Z 585s, but I would be happy playing either and would shoot the same scores with either set.

Last edited:
Thank you

I have not compared them side by side, but I have played both of them on the course. They both are great irons. The Rogue Pros set up more blade-like. The Rogues are shorter from toe to heel. Although obviously objective, I think the Srixons feel softer. The Srixons are more forgiving, imo. In terms of objective data, I think they are pretty much equally long, with a similar ball flight and similar spin. My personal preference goes to the Z 585s, but I would be happy playing either and would shoot the same scores with either set.

I am in the same boat as @tenputt. I have played both sets and prefer the 585's. I pretty much echo his comparison of the two sets . I feel the 585's are more forgiving and feel better to me. I enjoyed both sets but the Srixons will be in the bag for a while

Back