Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Maybe it’s telling tales out of school, but how did New Level do among the general public? Again those of us here on THP are significantly better informed than most golfers, even most avid golfers.

Srixon is a good comparison, but they’re well known on the euro tour and and they’ve been advertising for years, so seeing them do well with a high priced driver isn’t a huge surprise.

Actually in years past Wilson Staff has outsold Srixon in Europe.

I agree on the casual golfer vs internet golfer. Totally different animal. One parallel though, both are talking about Cortex today. You can see it in search analytics at google and even on sites like THP. The show was watched by a lot of people. In years past they passed over testing a Wilson driver. This year based on early reports, testing will be done. That’s a win vs the spend.

Biggest question out there. The one thing I would say is they had a TV show running all year as a commercial. Based on the above though, would you say its literally impossible for any company to break into the market? If we use irons as an example, why would anybody in the world by a brand like New Level? They are as much or more expensive than the big name brands. You can't try them at any store. And yet THPers had no problem ordering them without any discussion of cost, right? And some enjoyed them.

Srixon seems to run an interesting parallel here, because they are priced the same, offer premium shaft, cannot be found in big box, and very few said much about price.

I’m not sure why, but New Level and even Srixon come across as more “boutique” brands while W/S comes across as a big box brand. But I don’t think W/S could scale back and compete as a boutique due to their history.

I also can’t help but think their reputation in other sports equipment as “cheap” bleeds over to the W/S products. It makes me wonder if they could do better in sales by reinventing themselves by dropping the Wilson name.

Actually in years past Wilson Staff has outsold Srixon in Europe.

I agree on the casual golfer vs internet golfer. Totally different animal. One parallel though, both are talking about Cortex today. You can see it in search analytics at google and even on sites like THP. The show was watched by a lot of people. In years passed they passed over testing a Wilson driver. This year based on early reports, testing will be done. That’s a win vs the spend.

That’s definitely a good thing, I’ve heard a ton of great things about w/s and have like the stuff I’ve hit. Finding product I can get my hands on, or something that make me willing to take an untested flyer on has been a bit tricky, but they’re consistently at the top of my list when I shop for new clubs. I’m hoping this driver is a solid winner for them and gets people trying this product and others.

Also I see lots and lots of talk about the DVD show and the impact it would have.

I do not think the average golfer is watching that show at all, so I don't think it has the impact some think it does for moving the needle.

Also I see lots and lots of talk about the DVD show and the impact it would have.

I do not think the average golfer is watching that show at all, so I don't think it has the impact some think it does for moving the needle.

I talked to a work buddy who watches a decent amount of golf. He said he hasn't seen the show, then proceeded to ask me about Twist Face. It was kinda disappointing.

However it does come across as not entirely innovating. So I think W/S can claim mostly success, but not a 100% out of the ball park hit.

i think we know that, but i'm not sure a majority of golfers know that. i think you have three hurdles if you're a brand looking to nudge your way into the mix:

1- attention. you have to make a driver that has some kind of visual appeal that will make a consumer stop and pick it up on a rack populated by other names that consumers know better. i think the cortex has that on the sole (even if it's been done before), and then you put the driver vs driver advertising everywhere and you have a chance.

2- price. this is being bantered about elsewhere. at least it's not too low, i just fear it's about 10% too high.

3- performance. you'll never get to 3 if you don't solve the equations for 1 and 2. if a consumer gets to 3, then from early results it looks like performance is really solid compared to competitors.

but wilson has a fourth hurdle that newcomers don't need to worry about: brand perception. i don't know how they fix that one. hell, i don't know how they fix any of those!

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Wrong thread

I think you would be surprised how much impact the show has, we saw it with Triton before the USGA sham, and if it didn't make any difference then why would they bring it back?

Our definition here of average golfer and the TRUE definition of average golfer are often times very very different.

I think you would be surprised how much impact the show has, we saw it with Triton before the USGA sham, and if it didn't make any difference then why would they bring it back?

Our definition here of average golfer and the TRUE definition of average golfer are often times very very different.

Absolutely. The ratings were good. Sell in was the best of any Wilson driver since Killer Whale I believe. The show had a bigger impact than us in the internet bubble believe.

Hit the driver tonight and it feels amazing! Extremely solid sound and feel, nice and muted. I could easily put the Cortex in my bag tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From @golfunfiltered Instagram
2be0d97b91f42208576433939494e24e.jpg

I wonder if those that test the Cortex to one of the Drivers listed on the Robot testing will switch out.

Anyone checked out the Wilson site yet?

Evenflow Blue, Evenflow Black, HZRDUS Red, HZRDUS Black, and Recoil ES available beyond the Atmos line.

I just checked another retailer (PM me if interested) has the Cortex offered with the following shafts no upcharge:

Fuji Atmos Red 5
Fuji Atmos TS Red 6, 7
Fuji Atmos TS Blue 6, 7
Fuji Atmos TS Black 6, 7
Fuji Speeder Pro 58
Hzrdus Black 65, 75
Hzrdus Red 65, 75
Even Flow Blue 65, 75
Even Flow Black 65, 75
Recoil ES 440, 450

Damn, damn solid.

I just checked another retailer (PM me if interested) has the Cortex offered with the following shafts no upcharge:

Fuji Atmos Red 5
Fuji Atmos TS Red 6, 7
Fuji Atmos TS Blue 6, 7
Fuji Atmos TS Black 6, 7
Fuji Speeder Pro 58
Hzrdus Black 65, 75
Hzrdus Red 65, 75
Even Flow Blue 65, 75
Even Flow Black 65, 75
Recoil ES 440, 450

Damn, damn solid.

No need to PM, its all on the Wilson website too if you go to "buy".

That’s some great options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone checked out the Wilson site yet?

Evenflow Blue, Evenflow Black, HZRDUS Red, HZRDUS Black, and Recoil ES available beyond the Atmos line.

And you just beat me to it. lol. Should've known.

i think we know that, but i'm not sure a majority of golfers know that. i think you have three hurdles if you're a brand looking to nudge your way into the mix:

1- attention. you have to make a driver that has some kind of visual appeal that will make a consumer stop and pick it up on a rack populated by other names that consumers know better. i think the cortex has that on the sole (even if it's been done before), and then you put the driver vs driver advertising everywhere and you have a chance.

2- price. this is being bantered about elsewhere. at least it's not too low, i just fear it's about 10% too high.

3- performance. you'll never get to 3 if you don't solve the equations for 1 and 2. if a consumer gets to 3, then from early results it looks like performance is really solid compared to competitors.

but wilson has a fourth hurdle that newcomers don't need to worry about: brand perception. i don't know how they fix that one. hell, i don't know how they fix any of those!
I agree with 2 & 3. Not sure about 1 for the average consumer, but to me (THPer, pretty well informed) it looks damn awesome.

Additional comment -
Someone earlier mentioned the weights not being as heavy as others, well I think the placement of them is unique since they are so far out on the perimeter they are likely to have a noticeable effect. Also, not many drivers have 18g in adjustable weights.

Absolutely. The ratings were good. Sell in was the best of any Wilson driver since Killer Whale I believe. The show had a bigger impact than us in the internet bubble believe.

Idiot question. What is sell in?

Idiot question. What is sell in?

I will take a stab at it and say it is the initial sales numbers. There are no idiot questions, only idiots who ask them. LOL

I think it's really hard for us to judge marketability as golf forum club nerds. Aside from those of is on here in the industry as retail or club staff, out opinions are likely very subjective and not rooted in a whole lot of real data. I also think we are US centric in our assessments, and just because we don't see a particular club in bags at the course, doesn't mean that the club isn't selling well in Japan or Europe.

W/S is going to have their sales forecast and that will be the judge of whether the club is successful or not. Wilson doesn't need to sell more Cortex drivers than Callaway sells Rogue product to be successful, they just need to hit their targets.

I do think drivers are getting too expensive though on the whole, and I can't imagine it's sustainable to have 1 year release cycles once the whole driver segment is north of $500.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Now that images are out, Cortex 100% checks the visual appeal box. Tech loaded but not gimmicky in a stunningly beautiful professional looking product. Firsthand performance accounts have been strong. I personally don't think $50 here or there makes a huge difference now. I'm sure the pricing decision was a very tough one on many facets and I believe in WSG's wisdom in making their decision. As always, there will be some who adopt early (likely me too) and the DVD production will stoke those flames. (TC's last second offer to Tim can only help build the brand perception too) Others will wait for a discount, some for a huge discount, just like they usually do for any and every one's driver.

FWIW, (and maybe this would be better said in the driver price thread) on the Wilson site Cortex is also available at no up charge with the Recoil, EvenFlow black and blue, and HZRDUS black and red lines. I get other OEMs offer similar choices but Wilson is doing something else I've not seen elsewhere. Premium grips like MCC plus4 Align, Winn Dri-Tac Wrap etc... also come installed at no up charge. It might not be a big thing, but it's still a thing.

I will take a stab at it and say it is the initial sales numbers. There are no idiot questions, only idiots who ask them. LOL

You got me! :D

I think the other thing NOT being discussed so far, this driver will have a LEGIT chance of making it into their Tour staff's bags. Those guys have ALWAYS been willing to put a W/S driver in, if it looks right and performs. This checks those marks IMO.

I truly believe this is THE most polished and competitive driver release we have seen from W/S maybe ever.

Also, also....

For you all that hit it, how was launch? Trying to decide if I should loft up or not. Bday is in a month and I might just ask the Doc for this.

Back