TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

Awesome write up Dan!

This is really making the battle for the driver spot in my bag for next season much more complex...I have to hit both of these drivers! While I would generally migrate solely to the M5, the 6 sounds like it could be really fun as well.

Nice write up Dan, can not wait to spend some time with both drivers. Given the success I have had with TM drivers in the past. I have to guess these will be winners for me again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is the Atmos Orange? Made for TM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My worry with these are the low spin. I’ve watched 4 or so Youtubers and they ranged in the 1500-1900 spin range. Granted they did claim it launches higher than say the M3/4. But as a mere mortal 90mph low spin guy how do I keep this in the air. Some Current 12/13,5 don’t always launch high enough for me with enough spin. Ugh

I don't think the M6 is low spin as a whole. Lower than some companies? Sure, I can get behind that. Low in total? No, I don't think so. I still launched it and spun it plenty.

Considering the majority of amateur golf is played with an OTT swing that fades the ball, lower spin is going to be a huge benefit. For everyone else (whatever small percentage it is, there's plenty of things you can do to a head to increase spin (or find another head that spins more).

Fairly close to the Atmos Red.

Why not just use the Red? I’m guessing higher launch and more spin? It must not be a TS version?

Why not just use the Red? I’m guessing higher launch and more spin? It must not be a TS version?

I am sure there are reasons. My guess is, there were a couple of elements that blended better with the profile, and they went for a more appealing design for a larger group of golfers.

My worry with these are the low spin. I’ve watched 4 or so Youtubers and they ranged in the 1500-1900 spin range. Granted they did claim it launches higher than say the M3/4. But as a mere mortal 90mph low spin guy how do I keep this in the air. Some Current 12/13,5 don’t always launch high enough for me with enough spin. Ugh

don’t play it? stick with higher spin? that’s what i’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm finally hitting golf balls this week. These 1woods have my attention. Especially the M6

don’t play it? stick with higher spin? that’s what i’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For sure.

I’ll try it. But i won’t game anything that’s not a good fit for me. The M3 was arguably one of the lowest spinning drivers out last year and it surprised me that it actually worked for me. I think mainly it worked cause of the open face. I could loft up and to my eye it still sat more open than an Epic 13.5 lofted down. Launched higher than the Epic too.

I think they both look great, best looking drivers they have put out for a few years.

Great write-up Dan, covered all the bases. I really like the look of the new driver, in particular the 435 cc Tour model. Going to be an interesting spring testing the new releases.

In my opinion it will be key to get the right shaft during testing otherwise will move on rather quickly to another OEM's release. With such low spin in drivers, the right shaft will be critical.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of "Everyone gets faster" at least they way it was presented to me. This is about making sure every head is as fast as possible, and as close as possible to the legal limit. That is why I think this image is so good.

1.png

That photo isn't just about TaylorMade vs the world, it's about drivers before this release. They talked about the spicy or hot heads effectively getting allocated as tour drivers, and a big concern was about a golfer going to a fitting and saying "I want that driver" and getting a different experience once their order came in. It's about making every experience the same, and as strong as possible.

Talking with Brian Bazzel who is the VP of Product Creation at TaylorMade, he made a point of saying even a simple finish change on the top of the head (think satin vs gloss) has an impact on the way a head closes in or departs COR. It's pretty wild.

COR isn’t used anymore. CT is a completely different measurement that makes a COR measurement pointless. Am I the only one that remembers this exact same storyline from Adams?

TM makes good drivers but I don’t see anything special in this release.

COR isn’t used anymore. CT is a completely different measurement that makes a COR measurement pointless. Am I the only one that remembers this exact same storyline from Adams?

I do wonder why they went with a COR statement when it’s kind of... 10 years old. Maybe just cause they figure the consumer still knows that term? That’s about the only reason I can think of.

TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

I do wonder why they went with a COR statement when it’s kind of... 10 years old. Maybe just cause they figure the consumer still knows that term? That’s about the only reason I can think of.

This is the part of the techy conversation I just simply don’t care about. COR....CT....put both in my hands optimized for my swing. Which one goes the farthest more often and has a tighter dispersion? They could call it VCR for all I care as long as it’s faster or farther, I’m not sure I care.

Last edited:
Visual tech always works....as long as it isn’t Scotty Detour type visible tech lmao

That's funny. I remember wanting one of those when they came out and saved up to buy it. Got it home and never used it as I couldn't stand the look of it.

I like the looks of both. Probably would lean a bit more towards the M6 as I really liked the M4 last year.

I don't think the M6 is low spin as a whole. Lower than some companies? Sure, I can get behind that. Low in total? No, I don't think so. I still launched it and spun it plenty.

Considering the majority of amateur golf is played with an OTT swing that fades the ball, lower spin is going to be a huge benefit. For everyone else (whatever small percentage it is, there's plenty of things you can do to a head to increase spin (or find another head that spins more).
Great write up. Do you have any data or comparisons you can provide from your testing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The more I think about the tech in this driver the cooler it gets. It’s like everyone is getting a tour head that’s been tested and has the hottest face possible. I really can’t wait to hear some feedback for comparisons to other releases to see how legit this technology is.

Soo.. anyone notice the base of the M6 has the shape of a butt plug?

I've just seen it pointed out elsewhere and now can't unsee it.

with all the new releases im really starting to regret my TS3 purchase. Always played TM and have loved every driver I've hit from them. I know it winter and my swing is probably off, buy my simulator results with the TS3 have been pretty ugly

Soo.. anyone notice the base of the M6 has the shape of a butt plug?

I've just seen it pointed out elsewhere and now can't unsee it.

Kind of a reach lmao

I think it looks like a disposable razor action shot haha

Hey @Canadan, off the top of your head, how were the speeds of this compared to the F9 you reviewed?

(Speaking BROADLY, I know this was a fitting and that makes a difference in performance)

I'm excited to hit these. Guessing it will end up in my bag. I love new shiny things. haha

Back