2019 Srixon Z-STAR and Z-STAR XV Golf Balls

10-4.

I saw your note and read it as Zstar Spin is less than QST which had me scratching my head.

Good to know im not totally crazy.

I probably just wasn’t clear, Cobra had said he wanted to try one of the Z Star balls and that he liked the launch of the QST. So out of this line the standard Z Star would be more in line with the launch and spin of the QST than the XV. At least that’s what I was trying to get across. Oops!

Thanks for the review.

Question. For someone who swings driver 92-96mph would the XV be a bit too much for me? I crave a 4 piece ball but need help with a low-spinning drive & minimize the slice off the tee.

Probably opt for the Z-Star?

I think that actual spin numbers between the Z-Star & XV would be close off of the Driver. I think that to get the high ball flight that you seek, the Z-Star should launch higher.

I wouldn’t get wrapped up in the whole 3 piece v. 4. piece thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My comments were based on the std deviation table. This shows that the QST had some shots that were way off line at both speeds. It was also stated that all of their data shows balls performing in a linear fashion regarding speed. Selecting both fast and slow speeds will give you a good picture of how they perform at 100 mph.

About the Z Star. I did post in here about a week ago how much I love the new ball. That's the only reason I'm in this thread. It just so happened that the test data was mentioned which is also something that is fun to dissect. Lots of ways to interpret that and it doesn't change my opinion on how great the new Z star is.

No worries, I just didn’t want to hijack the thread discussing the QST at length... The QST is very similar to the old Z-Star SL. I think there is a market for that ball from a price/performance ratio standpoint. @CobraX51 is currently playing the QST and is looking to make a change. I think he should..

Thanks for the review.

Question. For someone who swings driver 92-96mph would the XV be a bit too much for me? I crave a 4 piece ball but need help with a low-spinning drive & minimize the slice off the tee.

Probably opt for the Z-Star?

I'm mobile, but check out the homepage review. Has data in it comparing these off driver, mid iron, wedge, and partial. That said, I don't think it would be too much for you. Off driver, I did not see much of a difference.

I think that actual spin numbers between the Z-Star & XV would be close off of the Driver. I think that to get the high ball flight that you seek, the Z-Star should launch higher.

I wouldn’t get wrapped up in the whole 3 piece v. 4. piece thing.

That's definitely where I'm at with the XV, having the extra layer. The most important thing to me with a golf ball is off the tee with driver, hybrids, irons, and wedges off the tee the ball goes straight or draws, never have a left to right miss, that is only with driver. Obviously the straightest possible ball off the tee and low spin is what I'm seeking. I can work with "less" greenside spin and adjust accordingly chipping before a round on release and/or check to get an idea of what the ball will do with chipping.

ddec said:
I'm mobile, but check out the homepage review. Has data in it comparing these off driver, mid iron, wedge, and partial. That said, I don't think it would be too much for you. Off driver, I did not see much of a difference.
I just read the Quick Six by @JB I am interested in comparing this with the QST because yesterday, again, playing a practice 9 the ball just launches in the air. Whether I'm losing distance or not by hitting it high, is another issue for another day, and not one that I overly care about at this point in my game. I'm interested in seeing if the Z-Star has similar peak heights.

d9e3615ca9a59b45a9ed9be679a38ae6.jpg

Fun fact indeed...

c5372608b9ec8f1cc63312beb605e557.jpg

Some partial wedge data to various different distances w/ the Z-Star.

Picked up some 2019 z stars to try out this weekend in yellow as it’s going to be pretty typical Ohio. Excited to see how they do, as I’ve had some pretty solid results from previous versions.

Got home today. Checked my mailbox. TGW sent me one free sleeve of each of the new Srixon balls for no reason. Will try them out during next round.

Got some XVs in today. I've been playing the regular Z Star for the last couple of weeks and wanted to compare them. The regular Z Star has performed well for me though. I'm finally trying to narrow it down to one ball to rule them all. Going to give the MTB-X a shot as well since it's cheaper.

Picked up some 2019 z stars to try out this weekend in yellow as it’s going to be pretty typical Ohio. Excited to see how they do, as I’ve had some pretty solid results from previous versions.

How did it go?

How did it go?

Really good. Great distance, great off irons, great green side control, and felt (sounded) good off the putter too. I’ve always liked the z-stars and the new version might be the best yet. Cover held up really well going through all sorts of sand and other crap haha

Really good. Great distance, great off irons, great green side control, and felt (sounded) good off the putter too. I’ve always liked the z-stars and the new version might be the best yet. Cover held up really well going through all sorts of sand and other crap haha

That’s great to hear...

I finally got to test the XVs and oh boy there might be a new ball going in my bag. The results were really great off the irons and wedges. Now to test with the driver....

Change may be coming.

Giving some of these away right now on Twitter @THPGolf

I finally got to test the XVs and oh boy there might be a new ball going in my bag. The results were really great off the irons and wedges. Now to test with the driver....

Change may be coming.

what ball were you coming from?

Change may be coming.

I was playing the XV the last time out and it was doing exactly what it says. Compared to a Chrome Soft I was seeing higher ball flight and a little more spin. I thought for a while the XV is the ball I should be playing but in my current setup I'm not sure its the case, the regular Z-star might be a better fit for me.

I was playing the XV the last time out and it was doing exactly what it says. Compared to a Chrome Soft I was seeing higher ball flight and a little more spin. I thought for a while the XV is the ball I should be playing but in my current setup I'm not sure its the case, the regular Z-star might be a better fit for me.

I’m going to grab a sleeve to test it out both now. I was REALLY happy with the spin numbers I was seeing.

TP5 or QST.

I'll be interested to see how it goes with driver. Ive been playing the QST and thanks to my swing flaw I could use some more spin with my irons, sounds like this might be a great option. I have a few dozen ready to use when I feel like Im ready to stop losing half a dozen a round lol

and I'll take ANY spin I can get greenside too

I’m going to grab a sleeve to test it out both now. I was REALLY happy with the spin numbers I was seeing.

Considerably more? Even on the wedges? When you say high trajectory, was it high & drop out of the sky or high boring shot?

Considerably more? Even on the wedges? When you say high trajectory, was it high & drop out of the sky or high boring shot?

I saw more spin on the mid and short irons (and the same on the wedges). I didn’t comment on trajectory, that must have been someone else.

My testing was indoors so I can’t comment on how it translated on the course.

I'll be interested to see how it goes with driver. Ive been playing the QST and thanks to my swing flaw I could use some more spin with my irons, sounds like this might be a great option. I have a few dozen ready to use when I feel like Im ready to stop losing half a dozen a round lol

and I'll take ANY spin I can get greenside too

The driver will be the real test but I didn’t have time - I’ll let you know when I see some results.

Played the XV again after playing the regular Z the previous round. If the balls weren't marked at all, I can't say that I noticed any difference besides the firmer feel in the XV. I'm almost leaning towards the XV being shorter for me off driver, but without doing a same day comparison that may just be speculation. I did have 3 drives that I hit pretty well only to find them short of where I would have expected. Even without taking that into consideration I'd say I prefer the regular Z Star at this point but wouldn't be upset about playing the XV.

After re-reading the review on these by @ddec along with other THPer's, playing the 19' version of ProV1x and falling in love with it along with playing the 18' TP5x version and really NOT liking the spin around the greens, I bought a sleeve of 19' XV at the PGATSS yesterday to put in to play tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get the performance of the V1x off the tee and equal or more greenside spin in a yellow ball, which I like to play, at a equal or better "Value"

One thing I know for sure, I'm done with lower compression golf balls after hitting '"X" versions this weekend.

Back