Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

Big takeaway from the Titleist Event this last weekend is that ball fitting is a MUST.

Each person swing is different and what each person needs is different. Sure price is a factor, but we spend $500+ on drivers, $1,200+ on irons, a few hundred on wedges, god knows what I’m putters (I’m looking at you @PutterButter) and then we try and get the best “deal” on balls.

Find the ball that is best for you and play the hell out of it. If that is Snell and you can save a few bucks than that’s awesome. If it’s one of the larger OEM’s that cost a little more then that’s awesome too.

Moral of the story is get ball fit, trust it and play better golf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't the same thing be said about trying out all clubs and getting what works best for you (and fit accordingly)? But many don't and end up going down the "loyal" to one company rabbit hole like some do with golf balls.

Probably also worth considering that other companies (who have cheaper products) offer equal deals, so the gap shrinks even more. I'm just not sitting here being sold on the idea of that Snell is an incredible deal based on what you get. Haven't spent much time at all with the product thanks to heavily stocking up on one ball a couple years ago, but for me I think the value would have to be better to jump on something like this.

I've been quietly following along and have a question for you Dan based on your statement above. I really liked the performance of the initial MTB but did not like the red or black so I've been playing the TP5 series after catching a deal on them. I'm curious why you aren't sold on Snell, especially if you haven't spent much time with the product. I like the frank /open personality of Dean Snell and the fact he helped create some really good balls for Taylormade and Titleist gave me a reason to try out the original MTB. I don't feel the same way about vice (or the other discount balls like cut, etc) as I don't know what qualifications their ball designers have. Does that play any factor in your feeling about Snell or is it more that you are satisfied with the performance of your current ball and a small discount isn't enough to get you to try something else?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been quietly following along and have a question for you Dan based on your statement above. I really liked the performance of the initial MTB but did not like the red or black so I've been playing the TP5 series after catching a deal on them. I'm curious why you aren't sold on Snell, especially if you haven't spent much time with the product. I like the frank /open personality of Dean Snell and the fact he helped create some really good balls for Taylormade and Titleist gave me a reason to try out the original MTB. I don't feel the same way about vice (or the other discount balls like cut, etc) as I don't know what qualifications their ball designers have. Does that play any factor in your feeling about Snell or is it more that you are satisfied with the performance of your current ball and a small discount isn't enough to get you to try something else?

If I wasn't clear, I apologize. It's not a matter of being sold on the product as I apologetically haven't had much of an opportunity to put them in play. I am not sold on the 'deal' that is presented. Absolutely concede that the price and accessibility to the price is great, but comparing it to other balls as an extreme deal, considering how regularly Tour level balls are available at less-than-current-price.

I'm sure I'll get around to trying it, but the idea of a very firm ball (specific to this thread topic) is something I'm trying to get away from, to be honest. I'd prefer something that will eliminate some of my spin by design, as it's one of my flaws. No doubt when i 'nut' one it'll go for days, but adding 10 yards of carry to my driver isn't my main concern right now. No doubt there is a market there for that kind of product.

I'd also love to learn more about how Snell is pushing the boundaries of the ball (I mean this genuinely). Having the opportunity to sit down with some companies, they are talking about different studies, research, and even going beyond the golf industry to try materials that haven't been considered for the game of golf (new TP5 is a great example of that). Is there something about the Snell that gives it a competitive advantage over others?

If I wasn't clear, I apologize. It's not a matter of being sold on the product as I apologetically haven't had much of an opportunity to put them in play. I am not sold on the 'deal' that is presented. Absolutely concede that the price and accessibility to the price is great, but comparing it to other balls as an extreme deal, considering how regularly Tour level balls are available at less-than-current-price.

I'm sure I'll get around to trying it, but the idea of a very firm ball (specific to this thread topic) is something I'm trying to get away from, to be honest. I'd prefer something that will eliminate some of my spin by design, as it's one of my flaws. No doubt when i 'nut' one it'll go for days, but adding 10 yards of carry to my driver isn't my main concern right now. No doubt there is a market there for that kind of product.

I'd also love to learn more about how Snell is pushing the boundaries of the ball (I mean this genuinely). Having the opportunity to sit down with some companies, they are talking about different studies, research, and even going beyond the golf industry to try materials that haven't been considered for the game of golf (new TP5 is a great example of that). Is there something about the Snell that gives it a competitive advantage over others?

That makes perfect sense Dan. The deal they advertise is only a deal if it performs comparably to the tour quality balls. At the time I found that the original MTB did for me. With the next generation I was getting much better performance from the TP5 which is why I'm not playing the black or red. I will give the Mtb-x a try when they are back in stock but I've got a supply of TP5 to keep me busy for a while.

I agree with your take on the pricing.
Up here Snell is $42 per dozen if I buy 4 dozen. I typically have no problems finding premium balls for $40 per dozen and in those cases I don't have to wait for them to ship to me. That said, I can almost never find my gamer ball, Chrome Soft X, for less than retail so it does open the door to experimentation.

This is great marketing by Dean and his team. Ironically implemented originally by a good friend of mine.

Deans resume is fantastic. Here is a question though. Could you name the ball R&D guys at Titleist, TaylorMade or Bridgestone, etc right now? I think the DTC companies are behind the 8 ball of trust, but part of that is because of how they are displayed.

Looks like my 2 dozen will be here tomoooooorrrrroooooowwwwwww!

While I'd like to test the ball out, I feel comfortable stating the best ball for my game is the V1X I was fit for. This recent rush, and I'm probably going to get hammered for the comment, is in part a product of fake transparency (not from Snell themselves though).

Having said that, I have a ton of respect for the company and products Dean Snell is putting out. It would surprise me if this did not perform very well.

Couldn't the same thing be said about trying out all clubs and getting what works best for you (and fit accordingly)? But many don't and end up going down the "loyal" to one company rabbit hole like some do with golf balls.

100%. I’m not saying you should stick to your loyalty. I’m simply saying it was interesting how we think we know what ball/clubs suit our game best but after a true fitting that we are often wrong.

I went through a fitting for my woods before the event and for the ball at the event and I was thoroughly impressed with my performance. The crazy thing was it was the first time I had used the clubs or ball so I attribute my performance to the fact that the I was fit into the clubs and ball.

Big takeaway from the Titleist Event this last weekend is that ball fitting is a MUST.

Each person swing is different and what each person needs is different. Sure price is a factor, but we spend $500+ on drivers, $1,200+ on irons, a few hundred on wedges, god knows what I’m putters (I’m looking at you @PutterButter) and then we try and get the best “deal” on balls.

Find the ball that is best for you and play the hell out of it. If that is Snell and you can save a few bucks than that’s awesome. If it’s one of the larger OEM’s that cost a little more then that’s awesome too.

Moral of the story is get ball fit, trust it and play better golf!

100% agree with you about ball fitting and still today, with all of the tech we have available, the hardest thing to get done.

Let's be honest, golfers as whole (Take THPer's out of the equation), are probably using the wrong ball for their game and decided to use the ball they're putting into play based solely by the marketing material of the golf ball manufactures.
Heck, the way this thread turned was by someone's testing method and one still has to ask, "I'm really that much closer to playing the correct ball?"
I'd argue "NO"

The company that masters the "Ball Fitting Conundrum" with an independent eye, will reap the rewards.

100% agree with you about ball fitting and still today, with all of the tech we have available, the hardest thing to get done.

Let's be honest, golfers as whole (Take THPer's out of the equation), are probably using the wrong ball for their game and decided to use the ball they're putting into play based solely by the marketing material of the golf ball manufactures.
Heck, the way this thread turned was by someone's testing method and one still has to ask, "I'm really that much closer to playing the correct ball?"
I'd argue "NO"

The company that masters the "Ball Fitting Conundrum" with an independent eye, will reap the rewards.

So true! I don't even know how to go about getting a ball fitting in my area. I was fortunate to be able to go through it at the Titleist event and I know which ball from their line fits me the best, however are there balls from another manufacturer that would fit me better? Who knows?

Would be intriguing if Club Champion or GolfTec or some other retail type location offered a ball fitting service where they could fit you into the proper ball regardless of brand.

While I'd like to test the ball out, I feel comfortable stating the best ball for my game is the V1X I was fit for. This recent rush, and I'm probably going to get hammered for the comment, is in part a product of fake transparency (not from Snell themselves though).

Having said that, I have a ton of respect for the company and products Dean Snell is putting out. It would surprise me if this did not perform very well.

Not hammering you, but I'm curious as to what you actually mean.

My MTB-X will also arrive tomorrow. I'm interested to see if I hit them longer, but I'm really interested to see my 12 year old play them as he currently plays a softer ball (Vice Pro Soft). I want to see if his distances essentially stay the same. If so, it may open the door for us to try additional make/model firmer balls as we've stuck to the marketing idea that softer is better for slower swing speeds. Though, it seems that may have just been marketing.

So true! I don't even know how to go about getting a ball fitting in my area. I was fortunate to be able to go through it at the Titleist event and I know which ball from their line fits me the best, however are there balls from another manufacturer that would fit me better? Who knows?

Would be intriguing if Club Champion or GolfTec or some other retail type location offered a ball fitting service where they could fit you into the proper ball regardless of brand.

Club Champion, et. al can't offer a meaningful ball fitting if they are "fitting" based on launch monitor numbers observed from hitting balls off a mat. Or even launch monitor numbers hitting full shots from a grass driving range.

Titleist has it exactly right. The easy part is finding a ball that offers you "good numbers" with full swings on a launch monitor. The hard part is finding out which ball works best hitting full and less than full wedge and short iron shots onto an actual green.

These high-$$$ fitting companies are selling the chance to spend a bunch of money chasing LM numbers. They can't upsell you on a PUREing and blueprinting and a $350 shaft upgrade to your ZStar to get an extra tenth of a degree launch and reduce spin by 150rpm.

This is great marketing by Dean and his team. Ironically implemented originally by a good friend of mine.

Deans resume is fantastic. Here is a question though. Could you name the ball R&D guys at Titleist, TaylorMade or Bridgestone, etc right now? I think the DTC companies are behind the 8 ball of trust, but part of that is because of how they are displayed.
That's a great point JB. Dean has developed credibility because of the great products he developed for Titleist and Taylormade. The big name companies automatically seem to get the credibility because of the track record of past products even if the staff of engineers developing them changes. I appreciate the no-nonsense way of delivering data from Dean and it creates a trustworthiness with him. I am ordering a couple dozen Mtb-x balls and will give my feedback once I get some time with them.

Looks like my 2 dozen will be here tomoooooorrrrroooooowwwwwww!

Yep & my dozen are here tomorrow as well. Just in time for my weekend round. :act-up:

Not hammering you, but I'm curious as to what you actually mean.

My MTB-X will also arrive tomorrow. I'm interested to see if I hit them longer, but I'm really interested to see my 12 year old play them as he currently plays a softer ball (Vice Pro Soft). I want to see if his distances essentially stay the same. If so, it may open the door for us to try additional make/model firmer balls as we've stuck to the marketing idea that softer is better for slower swing speeds. Though, it seems that may have just been marketing.

I personally believe that the softer is better for slower SS is in part marketing. Thing is you may add more spin to the equation with a firmer ball though.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have posted my thoughts publicly. I do believe there are agendas in play, and it's possible to manipulate testing and the wording to fit a message. For example, how much has been made of the MTB X not being as solid in the short game portion as some other tour balls? Why do you think that is not brought out as much? Will leave it at that though.

I personally believe that the softer is better for slower SS is in part marketing. Thing is you may add more spin to the equation with a firmer ball though.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have posted my thoughts publicly. I do believe there are agendas in play, and it's possible to manipulate testing and the wording to fit a message. For example, how much has been made of the MTB X not being as solid in the short game portion as some other tour balls? Why do you think that is not brought out as much? Will leave it at that though.

I think that's an end user error from the people using the study to help make their own purchasing decisions. The study clearly indicated that the MTB-X is NOT rated as a top ball. It's simply rated as the longest for the higher swing speed test. It does well enough in most other categories that the cost savings may be worth it to some people.

The top performers, for various reasons, were clearly Titleist Pro v1 and v1x, Srixon Z-Star (white), and Bridgestone Tour B X.

I'm not suggesting that you don't understand that or am directing any of these comments at you. I'm simply saying that it's up to the consumer to be smart enough to actually read the study and make their own decisions. Though, reading some of the Instagram replies to the study posting has proven that most will not use critical thinking skills.

With all of the choices we have with golf balls, I wonder how many of us stick with the recommended (fitting) ball for the season? I've never been fitted, but I kind of like to play different balls. I'm not a numbers chaser and I doubt if I could replicate my swing consistently enough to get those numbers. So while those tests are impressive, I just use them as a guide and fill in my own blanks with what I have already played.

6adca1feb02bb16ff332fa0414c1026f.jpg

My order showed up today. Excited to give them a run this coming week in Myrtle beach!

My personal opinion, Titleist is ripping people off big time when it comes to balls. I won't say much because I have many family members that work in there. If they wanted us to have certain balls they would be on the racks. We dont hit the balls the pros do. Period. Let's just say a few get passed out that will fly from Boston to DC with a 100mph club head speed. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not just golf balls, but equipment that is at the limits for performance too.

I can swing up to the mid 120’s and never see more than mid 170’s ball speed. There are guys on tour that swing the same or slightly slower and are regularly getting mid 180’s ball speeds.

Not just golf balls, but equipment that is at the limits for performance too.

I can swing up to the mid 120’s and never see more than mid 170’s ball speed. There are guys on tour that swing the same or slightly slower and are regularly getting mid 180’s ball speeds.

Not trying to be argumentative, but what do you think their smash factor is compared to we amateurs?

My personal opinion, Titleist is ripping people off big time when it comes to balls. I won't say much because I have many family members that work in there. If they wanted us to have certain balls they would be on the racks. We dont hit the balls the pros do. Period. Let's just say a few get passed out that will fly from Boston to DC with a 100mph club head speed. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Looked to me like you were hitting plenty far at Haig Point. Ha ha. Seriously, though, are you saying you think that the balls played by the tour pros fly farther, all else being equal? I know that they play different balls that what is produced for the masses, but I would wonder if it is a formulation better suited to their games, rather than one that is better suited for the masses.

Back