TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

Canadan;n8874344 said:
ancient TM face tech.

irons_tech_main_rocketballz_6.png

I had a cool talk with Chandler about it in AL, its at least evolved some according to him.

tequila4kapp;n8874341 said:
What is the inverted cone technology? The article mentioned it but I’m not sure it described it.

Canadan hit you with an image (above) and it really is older tech but it can serve a few purposes - namely to make the face legal with COR and make the face faster on misses. The COR part (at its base) is that a thinner face will be faster, so thinning the bottom, heel, and toe will make those parts faster but will result in the face, as a whole, being over the limit. Building the center thicker will make it legal again. Win-win

I am hoping and praying that I get to hit a demo head of these. I used the original P790s and loved them but I'm dying to see what some extreme engineering can do

I’m not a fan of the TI. They look like a cross with the M5 irons. And the price tag is just silly to me.

The P790’s still look good, but I think they missed an opportunity to change a little more with them.

The UDI’s are awesome. I think it’s their best looking driving iron to date.

I was looking at the P790 when they first came out and it was really a toss-up to buy or keep what I have. I decided then just to keep what I have. Then these new P790ti shows up and I'm reading and reading thinking that this would be the time to jump, until the MSPR shows-up. No matter how hard I try, there is no way I can realistically justify moving to the 790ti at that price. For some it could be their game changer, but for me, just wanting a good feeling iron and possible dropping a few strokes just didn't make sense especially knowing that I would probably change them in a few years anyhow. They sure are nice looking though..

I must have missed it, but visually how easy is it to tell the difference between the prior version and the new P790?

I have no issue with the Ti and their price tag. I'm not the target demographic there, so won't really comment other than liking the tech story and looks.

-CRW-;n8874521 said:
I’m not a fan of the TI. They look like a cross with the M5 irons. And the price tag is just silly to me.

The P790’s still look good, but I think they missed an opportunity to change a little more with them.

The UDI’s are awesome. I think it’s their best looking driving iron to date.

What would you change with the P790s? My biggest gripe was the gapping in the scoring irons and they are looking to fix that.

obedt;n8874538 said:
I must have missed it, but visually how easy is it to tell the difference between the prior version and the new P790?

I have no issue with the Ti and their price tag. I'm not the target demographic there, so won't really comment other than liking the tech story and looks.

Admittedly I haven't seen them in person but they look pretty different in closeup high-res photos but I bet not all that different from a reasonable distance (say, 15 feet).

Looks pretty cool. Slick.

I love this, new tech or done a new way even at super high pricing is great for consumers overall. I won't be buying these right now, but maybe 2nd hand, but even if I don't the P790 TI, Epic Forged, PXG, Mizuno HMB all battling means that these companies will have to keep innovating or they fall behind.

mancest;n8874604 said:
I love this, new tech or done a new way even at super high pricing is great for consumers overall. I won't be buying these right now, but maybe 2nd hand, but even if I don't the P790 TI, Epic Forged, PXG, Mizuno HMB all battling means that these companies will have to keep innovating or they fall behind.

I’d say you nailed it with that last bit. And these technologies will trickle down eventually if they work really well.

Molten;n8874543 said:
What would you change with the P790s? My biggest gripe was the gapping in the scoring irons and they are looking to fix that.

I can't wait to put the heads side by side to see the difference. I hear they are more sleek.

Molten;n8874543 said:

I would have done something similar to PXG with the 0311’’s and taken this opportunity to design and market them as a players P790 - like “P790 Pro” or a different number variant. Saying P790 Tour would be too direct of a copy I’’m sure. But TM did have the “Tour Preferred” line long before PXG was in existence.

From a build stand point it seems like they did some changes that might grab the better players attention. But they are advertising that they made changes to improve launch and distance. So it still seems like it would sit more in a “”player’s distance”” category than a true players iron.

Just as I was thinking of swapping out my current 790’s these come along... I know what I’ll be swapping them with now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadan;n8874645 said:
I can't wait to put the heads side by side to see the difference. I hear they are more sleek.

They do look sleek. At least based on the pics on Jonathan Wall's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/jonathanrwall/status/1160905701771960321

Would love to see a comparison pic between the old and new. But, based on the new pics, they appear to be significantly sleeker, at least to my eye. But, I admittedly haven't spend much time with the OG version.

BigDill;n8874331 said:
Thanks for the information Gary. I have been looking forward to reading more about the new p790s. Your article answered those questions.

Having played the original 790s on and off (mostly on) over the last year, I think there is a lot of value in them at the $1,400 price point. The progressive inverted cone technology and the progressive offsets in the longer irons should be minor changes on paper, but noticeable differences on the course and in real world application.

I would describe the 790 line as being similar to the Porsche 911. Solid classic design with performance in mind, most of it under the hood and in design advantages. But if you and your wallet are willing to push the envelope, then you can have the GT3 equivalent and get the 790Ti version.

I agree with all of this. I'm very pleased to see TM keep the aesthetic features of the 790s--a great looking iron. And while the new 790s offer performance features not found in the original 790s, those new features don't make me feel like the 790s I bought earlier this year are obsolete. I can happily run the OG 790s into the ground, and then when it's time, upgrade to the new 790s if I like.

The 790Ti's look amazing, and I'd love to hit them, but they are definitely priced out of my budget. I'm okay with that though. There is clearly a market for the premium iron sets, and I like seeing the big players jump in.

790ti has me intrigued... although not $3000 intrigued when I can get a 2019 release titanium cup-faced iron set for just under $400

Canadan;n8874645 said:

That’s the rumor. I was floored by the originals so I have high hopes.

-CRW-;n8874656 said:
I would have done something similar to PXG with the 0311’’s and taken this opportunity to design and market them as a players P790 - like “P790 Pro” or a different number variant. Saying P790 Tour would be too direct of a copy I’’m sure. But TM did have the “Tour Preferred” line long before PXG was in existence.

From a build stand point it seems like they did some changes that might grab the better players attention. But they are advertising that they made changes to improve launch and distance. So it still seems like it would sit more in a “”player’s distance”” category than a true players iron.

The better players will probably love these in the long irons in a combo set while the rest of us can just play a whole set.

I agree that I would have liked to see a little name change

Molten;n8874692 said:

Yeah, I really liked the look of the orignals, so if these improved side by side, I'm more intrigued!

I wonder if they would ever consider selling a combo set? That I could possibly get into.

wedgeman;n8874736 said:
I wonder if they would ever consider selling a combo set? That I could possibly get into.

How would you combo it?

Molten;n8874692 said:

I was a fan of the originals, so like you, I have some high hopes for these.

Great write up Molten. I think these look great, I actually prefer the look of the 790 Ti ones to that of the new Epic irons and Those UDI look great as well. I kind of want to hit that 2i haha

wedgeman;n8874736 said:

With other P series offereings?

Back