TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

Tenputt;n8889318 said:
As part of your evaluation, I would really love to see some comparison to the F9s in terms of real, on course performance. I know you are familiar intimately with the F9s, as am I. I would think the F9s would be a little more forgiving and maybe a tad longer, but less flightable than the P790s.

I've got two more (maybe three) rounds this week with the P.790s so I'll definitely let you know. But based on my current sample size, your assessment is correct. Forgiveness favors the F9 a bit, similar distance wise, 790s are a bit easier to shape and flight.

30ADF7B3-AE13-4403-A96E-C80086532F8B.jpeg I’ve had a few days away (although it feels like forever) and I’m excited to get these back in hand. few thoughts:

i like the stock shaft - I haven’t used the DG105s in years but it’s a good default pairing.

The stock TV360 grips are an interesting choice. Great feel and comfortable in hand. I’ve noticed a few of these coming stock on clubs this year and I’ve always wondered why. Does anyone have the TV360 grips and use them for a full year? I’m curious about the durability.

With a full, aggressive swing the long irons seemed to go forever but never like it was just a function of high launch. Surprisingly penetrating ball flight, particularly off the tee. It might be the difference in my swing over two years but I don’t remember seeing that with the OG 4 and 5 irons.

My only real concern so far is the sole. The shiny portion shows some scratches (expected) but the paint fill in the numbers is already disappearing. Everything else looks great after a few range sessions and rounds.

Molten;n8892200 said:
I’ve had a few days away (although it feels like forever) and I’m excited to get these back in hand. few thoughts:

i like the stock shaft - I haven’t used the DG105s in years but it’s a good default pairing.

The stock TV360 grips are an interesting choice. Great feel and comfortable in hand. I’ve noticed a few of these coming stock on clubs this year and I’ve always wondered why. Does anyone have the TV360 grips and use them for a full year? I’m curious about the durability.

With a full, aggressive swing the long irons seemed to go forever but never like it was just a function of high launch. Surprisingly penetrating ball flight, particularly off the tee. It might be the difference in my swing over two years but I don’t remember seeing that with the OG 4 and 5 irons.

My only real concern so far is the sole. The shiny portion shows some scratches (expected) but the paint fill in the numbers is already disappearing. Everything else looks great after a few range sessions and rounds.

Ouch on the paintfill.

Place your bets - I’m going OG with recoil vs 2019 with DG105. Which is longer? and should I add another participant?!

JB;n8888773 said:
Thats interesting, and certainly TaylorMade is banking on that with this lineup. Looking at most brands, its the opposite. For instance Hot Metal is the #1 selling Mizuno iron currently. AP3 outsold AP2. King F9 outsold Forged Tec. I’m not at my computer, so I don’t know the current month, but I know that P.790 was one of their best sellers, although I do think M6 overtook it this past month, which makes sense being the newer iron and the price point.

And I agree, they do look good.

i’m shocked to hear m6 outsold p790. i’ve seen a ton of p790 in the wild. never seen the m6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8892229 said:
i’m shocked to hear m6 outsold p790. i’ve seen a ton of p790 in the wild. never seen the m6.

I think a lot of that has to do with the salesmen pushing the M6, coupled with them being of the mistaken belief that you have to be a 5 HC to play the 790s. In the last two months, I have seen 3 people with M6 irons in their bag, including my father in law.

Man I love what I see with these but so dang pricey.

McLovin;n8892229 said:

I don’t remember ever seeing a set of M6 irons on the course, either, but I have seen plenty of P790s.

Molten;n8892226 said:
Place your bets - I’m going OG with recoil vs 2019 with DG105. Which is longer? and should I add another participant?!

Throw in the F9 7 iron. I am not sure what the weight of the Recoil is that you will be using, but I think it will come down to which shaft works better for your swing. If you had the same shafts, I would put my money on the 2019 P790s over the OG, but only by 3 or 4 yards.

Molten;n8892200 said:
I’ve had a few days away (although it feels like forever) and I’m excited to get these back in hand. few thoughts:

Dang, don't love that. Part of why I loved the OGs is they still look so fresh a full season in.

These are just so good looking, next trip to golfUSA will involve giving the P790ti a few cuts...

I'm really interested in the UDI 2I and I understand there is not a lot of talk about it that I can see. The last version is amazing and looking forward to demoing it next month if I can find it to compare with my current version. Would like to take it 4 degrees stronger and remove a wedge from the bag and have both UDI's...past and present.

Just so good and interested to see if it can outperform it's baby brother.

Any insight?

J4U;n8892279 said:
I'm really interested in the UDI 2I and I understand there is not a lot of talk about it that I can see. The last version is amazing and looking forward to demoing it next month if I can find it to compare with my current version. Would like to take it 4 degrees stronger and remove a wedge from the bag and have both UDI's...past and present.

Just so good and interested to see if it can outperform it's baby brother.

Any insight?

No in hand insight but from what I’ve learned on the new design it should be better because it should be more forgiving. The reason my original UDI came out of the bag was the performance on miss hits. They killed me

Reactions: J4U
rallo;n8892273 said:
These are just so good looking, next trip to golfUSA will involve giving the P790ti a few cuts...

Make sure to take photos. I really want to see what they look like in the wild

Let’s talk turkey - the two things I wanted to see based on what TaylorMade said was: 1) improved turf interaction and 2) better control in the short irons. I’m happy with the turf interaction for sure (the control is still being tested for flyers).

I tried to put some really steep swings and plenty of aggressive swings on the ball today and I’m happy to report I was ripping off some really nice divots but they weren’t deep. The club never felt stuck in the ground or digging of the leading edge. TMag did good with the refinements.

Im excited to see you all hit them and rave - there is a TON to love.

Molten;n8895359 said:
Let’s talk turkey - the two things I wanted to see based on what TaylorMade said was: 1) improved turf interaction and 2) better control in the short irons. I’m happy with the turf interaction for sure (the control is still being tested for flyers).

I tried to put some really steep swings and plenty of aggressive swings on the ball today and I’m happy to report I was ripping off some really nice divots but they weren’t deep. The club never felt stuck in the ground or digging of the leading edge. TMag did good with the refinements.

Tell me about the shafts, how do you like the stock DG105s with VSS

OITW;n8895433 said:
Tell me about the shafts, how do you like the stock DG105s with VSS

Dude. Love them (and most lightweight steel, but still). The VSS has been a godsend for the wrist injury I’ve had for the last few months.

And the shaft is perfect for my tempo and I’m squaring the ball up real well.

I do wish there was onyx but I might be asking too much there.

Molten;n8895359 said:

Yeah, but what did you shoot with these bad boys in the bag?

Tenputt;n8895440 said:

I know what he shot, and it's absurd, Molten is en fuego!

Tenputt;n8895440 said:

Shhh. What I shot isn't important. But what is important is the second round with these was a PR. I find it hard to believe that’s a fluke

I think my favorite part is how stable the face stays through impact when you get after it. Also, a huge fan of the toe side forgiveness - nearly the same yardage.

UDI...UDI...UDI

Poke him in the eye
I promise not to cry
He said she said so should I

Tidbit, tidbit anywhere a tidbit. JK as I know those aren't the mainstream. However, the wait is soooo hard.

I did some head to head on the GCQuad (and then to head to head) and I’ll have plenty of numbers tonight. Some interesting numbers and takeaways.

Molten;n8895996 said:
I did some head to head on the GCQuad (and then to head to head) and I’ll have plenty of numbers tonight. Some interesting numbers and takeaways.

Looking forward to it

Back