Playing behind low cappers is awful

I only want to play with mid-caps now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No hi caps?

Actually, I think the correct title is

“Playing Behind Anyone is awful”

This thread is fun.
I was behind a Toyota Prius that was driving slow in the left hand lane last week.
I was behind another one that was driving slow yesterday in the left.

Therefore anybody that drives a Prius drives too slow and lane squats in the left lane.

Unrelated to the thread, I got stuck behind one in Indianapolis a while back (a Prius, not a low capper) for long enough to notice it had a police interceptor package badge on the back. I got a good chuckle out of that and I appreciate the sense of humor.

No hi caps?

I'm guilty of feeling that way. I want the whole course to myself.

??? Generalizing people isn't a good thing. Especially outside of sports... it might really get you into trouble.

No hi caps?

Haha.

Mid-caps seem to be the only group that remains unburdened by unfortunate stereotypes.

Therefore = "Safe"

Although......upon further reflection.....if they are improving or getting worse---they could be in the midst of an unfortunate behavioral metamorphosis.

One must remain wary at all times

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quality of play has no bearing on being an asshat.

Asshat's gonna asshat.

I don't understand why this has to do with being a low handicap?

I'm also going with "Asshat's gonna asshat." People who spend more time at the golf course(s) generally tend to be more thoughtful and courteous. They tend to have more invested into the game.
However, spending time or caring about the course and other players doesn't make you a good golfer. People are people, and they can change.

I don't think their low handicap made them a**holes, being a**holes made them a**holes.

In reality it's nowhere near the kind of yobs the OP was describing but for some reason the ones that get me are the mid-handicap foursomes of posers, in both senses of the word.

Posers because they each have a matched outfit of Travis Matthew or similar shorts and shirts with the fitted hats and "traditional" style shoes, just like a typical Tour player.

But also posers because they'll hold their finish, twirl the club like Mark O'Meara after a good shot, do Tour-inspired little waggles or practice swings.

And finally posers because they adopt a variety of procrastinations they've copped off TV like the Jason Day eyelash-fluttering "visualization" behind the ball or the back off repeatedly and restart their laughable "routines".

And these groups never, ever, ever deviate from strictly "honors" order. Again like Tour players they won't even think about pulling a club or doing their practice swings or even lasering a yardage until the player before them has finished his swing.

I'm thankful to say none of the wannabes seem to be members of my club. But once in a while a foursome of them get on as visitors and they stand out like a bright orange Rickie Fowler monochrome outfit at a Ralph Lauren Polo convention. And I definitely encounter at least one group like that whenever I play a decent resort course on vacation.

Someone is a "poser" because they like to dress nice in the environment they are in?
Weird.

Someone is a "poser" because they like to dress nice in the environment they are in?
Weird.

No, they are posers because they adopt all the quirks and mannerisms of the good golfers they see on TV. Without actually being any good at playing golf.

If you see Jason Day wearing a shirt that you think will look good on you, go get one. Although maybe not if you have man-boobs and a pustle gut. But when you see Jason Day indulging a couple minutes worth of weird little superstitions before every shot, you need to remember you won't be following it up with a 110 foot high 6-iron shot raining down 10 feet from the hole. If you do all the fiddling around and then hit a typical 12-hcp shot all that preparation reeks of "poser".

No, they are posers because they adopt all the quirks and mannerisms of the good golfers they see on TV. Without actually being any good at playing golf.

If you see Jason Day wearing a shirt that you think will look good on you, go get one. Although maybe not if you have man-boobs and a pustle gut. But when you see Jason Day indulging a couple minutes worth of weird little superstitions before every shot, you need to remember you won't be following it up with a 110 foot high 6-iron shot raining down 10 feet from the hole. If you do all the fiddling around and then hit a typical 12-hcp shot all that preparation reeks of "poser".
So you're saying the clothes don't make the man?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So you're saying the clothes don't make the man?

If we can't dress like "da man" then what do we have left??!!

I think they just took the approach of since they get the ball in the hole in less strokes than most that they would just enjoy that free time.

One time, I was out playing my home course. I was playing pretty well. It was a really nice day. I had just tapped in for birdie on hole 10. Get to the 11 tee and see a guy I knew playing ahead of me, Dave. Dave is a pretty inconsistent golfer. Some holes, he pipes his drive and stuffs it close. Others, he hits it wayward and spends 10 minutes searching for his ball. This day though, I noticed he was not replacing his divots. Not fixing his pitch marks. Pretty sure I saw him spit in the cup. He may have even kicked a puppy when he was out there, no way to tell.

Long story short, playing behind anyone named Dave is awful.

uhm...
s-l1000.jpg

Well that was good for a laugh today. The guys just don't have much concern but for themselves is all. Someone said it, asshats.

So if a guy steps out of a prius wearing under Armour instead of Travis Mathhew and is wearing formal golf shoes but not a fitted hat; likes to hold his finish but doesn't twirl the club. What do we call him? Full poser is already taken so would it be part poser? Toy poser? Hybrid poser?

At a club I used to belong to, our usual group had one guy (call him "M") who always ALWAYS took two practice swings. Before each drive, before each iron shot, two practice strokes before each putt. It was his thing. He'd do them quickly with no hesitation before stepping up to hit the ball but when I first joined the group I thought, "Wow, can't he cut that down a little?".

But quickly I figured out that a) this guy walked briskly between shots and did virtually no thinking or grass-tossing or indecision and b) he seemed to always take somewhere between 71 and 78 shots. Even on a bad day he was comfortably in the 70's. And he hit it really straight so not much time spent searching for ball. I am a very fast player but given that I'm taking 10-15 shots more than "M" and hitting a fair few into the trees, he waits on me more than I wait on him, practice swings or not.

Then a new guy joined, call him "D". He was charitably a 20 or 21 handicap but in reality struggled to break 100 most days. Just like "M" he took two (at least) practice swings. Or maybe three or maybe four if he didn't like the first couple. And he did the Dufner Waggle, too. Here's the thing, if he jacked his first tee shot OB he would "reset" and do the whole practice swing and waggle again. So we might get to the see the whole full-shot routine 50 or more times in a bad round. And he also froze over the ball for like 20 seconds before every swing.

Eventually the guys running the game took him aside and suggested he learn to cut out all the fooling around. And that he needed to be able to finish a round in under four hours instead of holding the entire course up behind him. He went away for six months, came back and drop all the poser stuff.

My point being, a certain amount of that stuff is fine. And if you're a good player, you'll get a lot more leeway than if you're a total hack hoping that by some miracle all that practice swinging and waggling and pre-shot routine stuff is going to help you keep the ball between the tree line.

So if a guy steps out of a prius wearing under Armour instead of Travis Mathhew and is wearing formal golf shoes but not a fitted hat; likes to hold his finish but doesn't twirl the club. What do we call him? Full poser is already taken so would it be part poser? Toy poser? Hybrid poser?

Actually at my club his name is Wes. Nice fellow, plays quick and never loses his cool.

In reality it's nowhere near the kind of yobs the OP was describing but for some reason the ones that get me are the mid-handicap foursomes of posers, in both senses of the word.

Posers because they each have a matched outfit of Travis Matthew or similar shorts and shirts with the fitted hats and "traditional" style shoes, just like a typical Tour player.

But also posers because they'll hold their finish, twirl the club like Mark O'Meara after a good shot, do Tour-inspired little waggles or practice swings.

And finally posers because they adopt a variety of procrastinations they've copped off TV like the Jason Day eyelash-fluttering "visualization" behind the ball or the back off repeatedly and restart their laughable "routines".

And these groups never, ever, ever deviate from strictly "honors" order. Again like Tour players they won't even think about pulling a club or doing their practice swings or even lasering a yardage until the player before them has finished his swing.

I'm thankful to say none of the wannabes seem to be members of my club. But once in a while a foursome of them get on as visitors and they stand out like a bright orange Rickie Fowler monochrome outfit at a Ralph Lauren Polo convention. And I definitely encounter at least one group like that whenever I play a decent resort course on vacation.

You really care what OTHER people are doing... Well sh*t... I guess a lot of us on THP are "Posers".

All sorts of uncharitable mean-spirited thoughts run through my mind, given 4+ hours of standing behind a bunch of those guys pantomiming "Tour Sauce". If they'd just keep moving I wouldn't have time to even notice them.

Wow... the thread shifted to a pace of play one. That's sad. I liked the Prius conversation. Wait that wasn't the original topic either, was it?!? lol

For clarification purposes, all the low caps I have played with were not asshats.

The OP is mostly nonsense. Just about every player who shoots par golf naturally respects the golf course, replaces divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc... They do these things because they know a well maintained course helps them shoot their lowest scores.
Beginners and, or, high handicappers shooting 100 usually are so focused on just finding their ball and getting thru the hole that they neglect proper course etiquette (or have never learned what it is).

The OP is mostly nonsense. Just about every player who shoots par golf naturally respects the golf course, replaces divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc... They do these things because they know a well maintained course helps them shoot their lowest scores.
Beginners and, or, high handicappers shooting 100 usually are so focused on just finding their ball and getting thru the hole that they neglect proper course etiquette (or have never learned what it is).

Oh, hey, here we go again.

Nonsense, jerks are jerks regardless of handicap...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

All sorts of uncharitable mean-spirited thoughts run through my mind, given 4+ hours of standing behind a bunch of those guys pantomiming "Tour Sauce". If they'd just keep moving I wouldn't have time to even notice them.

When you see these "posers", do you go confront them about it or do you just come on to forums like this and voice it?

Back