How Unconventional Do You Try?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We all have types of clubs that you gravitate towards, so when trying new equipment or thinking about purchasing, how far outside the box do you ever test out? In the last couple of weeks we filmed a lot of video from the THP Tech Studio on different clubs and it is always amazing what surprises people. So genuinely curious here.

I do not travel outside the max forgiving category. Not too interested in a players iron at this stage of my game. Unless you mean manufacturers, and in that case, I do not have a preference.

I tried a cavity back wedge once and it was horrible. so that was the end of that.

I guess OL would be considered a bit unconventional. So maybe a little.

I tried that new Odyssey Armlock putter recently, worked well I thought indoors but absolute disaster on the course. Sent it back after one round when my guys were laughing at me. 😀

I once had a belly putter. That’s pretty much the extent of my strange equipment adventures.

Outside of the LAB putter, I am pretty conventional but I think that is more of a product of left-handed availability. I don't have a high turnover when it comes to clubs, so I seem to take the "safe" route more than usual.

This unconventional...

stand-up-putter-630x473.jpg

I'm not good enough to have anything set in stone. I have styles I like, but honestly I'm open to try just about anything

I keep think about the L.A.B. putter!🤔

I am in my second season of playing T-Rails. I think that's unconventional enough.

I need to be More unconventional at this point of my golfing career. I'm not getting any younger & my golf isn't getting any better. So I need to be more inclined to reach out to more GI irons, take lessons, get fitted, etc. if I ever want to get any better. Or I can just stick with what I've got and not worry about the outcome anymore. ;)

I am trying One Length currently. Still TBD long term on the prospects.

Way back when I tried a friend's chipper:
1625684029326.png
It worked ok, but I did not use it for very long.

I gamed this as my putter for over 10 years...it definitely garnered a few doubletakes on the course
1625684878977.png

I seem to be pretty darn conventional and very boring with my equipment picks 😕 most different I feel like I would get right now would be OL

I stick to pretty conventional stuff. But, I would be willing to try almost anything.

Golf stuff is more similar than different. Ability is a whole ‘nother ball of wax.

I'll try anything legal if it works!

When I was first playing in Jr. High, my 3-wood was actually an old laminated Hagen driver that was cut down. I could smoke it off the deck and still hit with plenty of loft. My sand wedge was a Hogan Sure-Out at that time too. For a while in the early 90's, I played a Cobra Kevlar driver - it was a bit odd sounding but effective.

Oddities I'm curious about now include OL irons, a mini-driver and an arm-lock putter.

I don't mind trying unconventional stuff. Whether it makes the bag or no is a different story lol

I tried a cavity back wedge once and it was horrible. so that was the end of that.

I guess OL would be considered a bit unconventional. So maybe a little.
Ooh, I don't know if I could do a cavity back past PW. That's a good one I hadn't even thought of. How's that for not going unconventional? I don't even acknowledge that type of club exists unless someone else mentions it.

I don't mind smaller looking drivers or fairways, which is weird because I don't like looking at hybrids, which could just be really small fairways. I tried hitting one of those Cleveland hybrid irons some years ago. I dry heaved and handed it back.

I gamed Wilson C200 irons with the slots all around the face, and an Odyssey XACT Tank chipper. Case closed.

I would genuinely love to have a go with some of the ultra forgiving clubs like the Cleveland Smart Sole or their hybrid irons for a laugh. They wouldn't immediately come to mind for purchasing but I think playing a round with them would be fun.

As you know, I’ll grab and hit anything even if it’s different.

Especially hybrids and for some reason UT Irons...

I stick to pretty conventional stuff. But, I would be willing to try almost anything.
I'll try anything legal if it works!

When I was first playing in Jr. High, my 3-wood was actually an old laminated Hagen driver that was cut down. I could smoke it off the deck and still hit with plenty of loft. My sand wedge was a Hogan Sure-Out at that time too. For a while in the early 90's, I played a Cobra Kevlar driver - it was a bit odd sounding but effective.

Oddities I'm curious about now include OL irons, a mini-driver and an arm-lock putter.
I gamed Wilson C200 irons with the slots all around the face, and an Odyssey XACT Tank chipper. Case closed.

Quoting these three, but so many said similar. That is really my question. You will try anything, but do you? Meaning you go into a store or decide you want new irons. Do you test things that wouldn't normally match up to your conventional style? We always hear "I will use anything if it works". How will you know?

Back