Titleist ProV1 vs. Taylormade Penta

They rip golf balls to shreds, especially with the spinner shafts. But Ive learned to just peel off the fish gills and keep going. The balls perform the same, no matter what. Same putting, same chipping, same distance. Only tour pros need that much precision, and even then, Im doubtful.

I see from your signature you play the VR Forged wegdes. What kind of grooves to they have, or how do they compare to Vokey's because my Vokeys are particularly brutal to my golf balls.

I see from your signature you play the VR Forged wegdes. What kind of grooves to they have, or how do they compare to Vokey's because my Vokeys are particularly brutal to my golf balls.

I personally play TP Blacks and Bridgestone 330rx balls, but my usual playing partner games Pentas and the Z-star x. Of those 4 balls the rx has proved the most durable but all hold up rather well. Both of us use Vokey wedges and the Penta holds up fine enough. At least do yourself a favor and give them a try.

I love the TP Blacks, so glad they are still available

TM is a good ball but I experience quite a bit of spin with them

I have been using ProV1x's lately and have had good results

Let me just add, as far as durability goes between the two, it's very comparable. I've been very satisfied with the durability of both, I just like the Penta better.

Thainer...never thought to peel off the fish gills, I'll try that next time. I'm with you, I don't see a diminished performance when a ball has some marks, it just doesn't look as pretty :)

Let me just add, as far as durability goes between the two, it's very comparable. I've been very satisfied with the durability of both, I just like the Penta better.

Thainer...never thought to peel off the fish gills, I'll try that next time. I'm with you, I don't see a diminished performance when a ball has some marks, it just doesn't look as pretty :)

I agree with this. I'm not a pro, so I'm not trying to hit a brand new golf ball each hole I play.

Lukey, we are very close in handicap so I thought you would like my take...

I find the Penta to be very comparable to the ProV1 in distance and the ProV1x in full iron shot spin. Pluses for the Penta are that the ball really seems to fly straight, and has the best feel off the putter of any ball in my memory. With a full short iron shot from a bunker is about the only way I put gills on either ball; for me the Penta is a little more durable, and also I think the whiteness of the paint stays better. Pluses for the ProV1x are a hair more distance off the driver - by a hair I mean 5 yards tops. Pluses for the ProV1 is better spin and control around the greens. But all 3 balls are pretty close in all of these features, so you just have to try them all and pick what suits you overall the best. The only other significant issue I remember anyone mentioning is ballooning, but I hit with a relatively low trajectory, so this is not a problem for me with any of the 3 balls.

All of this said, I would use any of these 3 balls in any situation, but if I have to call one my gamer ball it is the ProV1, because extra distance or iron shot spin is no issue for me, but the control with the scoring shots around the green is critical. That said, I have to admit that I like the putting feel of the Penta so much that ... well, I putt a lot more times per round than I pitch, so that may should be just as critical a facet to scoring, and I am still trying the Penta interchangeably with my Titleists.

I have played the ProV1 off and on for the last half dozen years. Last year in looking for a better ball I tried the ZStar Yellow and like it very much. I then bought a box of the Penta's to give then a try. I found them just as good as the ProV1 better in some catagories and not so good in others. The main problem I have with the Penta like some others I found the cover of the ball to not hold up all that well. I do not have a high swing speed nor do I normally shred the cover on balls, but the Penta just seems to wear out faster. The paint seems to chip off around the edges of the dimples easily and gives the look of a well used ball. This is just a cosmetic blemish and does not affect the performance of the ball at all, but I just prefer the looks of a clean ball when I am playing. I am pretty sure I will be going with the ZStar and ProV1 balls this summer. All three though are good enough for me to play at any time. Premium balls today are just fantastic they are long, spin off mid irons, short irons too and have great manners around the green.

Awesome Doc,
I'm thinkin about switchin over to the Penta, how is the cover durability?

Cover durability is my main gripe with the Pro V1x and to a lesser degree, the Pro V1 as well. I had been hitting Penta for a few weeks for just that reason. Sadly, the Penta is not the answer, performance is about the same. Penta does last a little longer than the Pro V1x, maybe 5 or 6 holes instead of 3. This week, I am hitting Bridgestone B330 S and find them to perform very well while being much more durable. The jury is still out though, seems like distance is as good or better off the driver but less off the irons than the Titleists balls.

I would go with the Penta, best all around feel to me, I think that the ProV1X out shines in the distance area. But the Penta just feels so great off of all clubs. Thats just comparing those two balls. I think Nike and Bstone make a better ball than both companies.

The ProV1 is undoubtedly the most popular ball in golf and the Penta is coming out of the box strong. I hear a ton of great stuff about the Penta, but have been a ProV1 guy my entire golfing career. I've yet to play the Penta, but am interested. Have you guys played and compared both of these and what are your opinions. Any launch monitor numbers are awesome as well. Thanks in advance to all the great Hackers out there.

The Penta is way better than the ProV1. I have a bad slice, and it's just a fade with the Penta. Also, the Penta has equal greenside spin, but longer driving ability. For me, the slightly harder feel of the Penta is better, because I find the ProV1 way too soft.

The ProV1 is a very solid ball but I've been using the Penta latley and it is slighty above the ProV1 in just about every category. Their performance off the tee is pretty solid, but where the Penta struts its stuff is around the green. Damn, this Penta is a monster from 100 yards in. Spin on this ball is amazing.

To say "the Penta is way better than the ProV1" is ludicrous. Penta is a great ball as is the ProVI. In my experience, it falls somewhere between the ProV1 and ProV1x in almost all categories. Tried the Penta and like them just fine, but they aren't going to replace the ProV1x as my "go to" ball.

To say "the Penta is way better than the ProV1" is ludicrous. Penta is a great ball as is the ProVI. In my experience, it falls somewhere between the ProV1 and ProV1x in almost all categories. Tried the Penta and like them just fine, but they aren't going to replace the ProV1x as my "go to" ball.

I was intrigued by this thread earlier this week so I challenged myself to play a few holes with each ball during my round today. Both are excellent balls but the Penta delivers a certain "touch" that I need around the greens that is hard to described my wedge shots were much more crisp and controlled. I'm not saying the ProV1 is a slouch, I'm just saying the Penta provides me more of what I'm looking for.

I used to play the v1x but have switched to the penta. I love hitting it with my irons and its greenside manners are awesome. I did zip one back 15 feet away from the hole though after it landed two feet from it. Turned my tap in birdie into a two putt par.

I cant keep a penta long enough to form an opinion, seems to be a high rough magnet at my home course which has been near impossible to find balls lately

I've played the ProVx for years and last year switched to the Penta. I like it a ton but lately I went back the the ProVx mainly because I had about 18 of them collecting dust and I only had a few Pentas left and didn't want to potentially run out of balls in one of my Men's club events.

I personally feel they are very comparable. I spin the ball quite a bit, so I don't like the ProV but the Penta and the ProVx play very similar to me. Penta a tad more spin, but I spin the ProVx plenty so I like both. IMO neither has an extremely durable cover. I shred the both equally. I'm not sure who said it earlier, but I also just "pull off the fish gills" and keep playing them so I don't really care that much.

If I were considering a switch, I would grab a sleeve of each ball you're considering and hit all kinds of shots with each.

I'm at that spot myself as my supply of ProVxs is now low and I may buy a few different balls and see if anything will replace the ProVx or Penta, and also see if the new ProVx is much different than the old ones. Decisions, decisions...

So your saying you exploded a Penta with your driver?

I found it in some bushes and it felt pretty brittle and hard so I just hit it as hard as I could for S&G and yes, it blew up. I'm sure it had just rotted and it wasn't my monster 101 SS that blew it up. Sorry if I was being misleading in quality. Didn't mean to be. Just thought it was funny.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Starting to see specials on the Penta, buy two dozen get one dozen free. Wonder if that means a new model is on the horizon and they are trying to dump existing stock before the announcement. hmmm...

Starting to see specials on the Penta, buy two dozen get one dozen free. Wonder if that means a new model is on the horizon and they are trying to dump existing stock before the announcement. hmmm...

I sure hope not...but i doubt it the way they have been marketing this ball.

I like the Penta ball, but I like the B330 RX just a bit better, a little more durable and I just compress it just a wee bit better.

I found it in some bushes and it felt pretty brittle and hard so I just hit it as hard as I could for S&G and yes, it blew up. I'm sure it had just rotted and it wasn't my monster 101 SS that blew it up. Sorry if I was being misleading in quality. Didn't mean to be. Just thought it was funny.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.
it appears that Penta was nailed by the mowing crew.

ive been playing both recently and back to back during a round and i have to say i prefer the pro v1. the penta feels softer to me through the full range of shots and i felt i lost a little distance, and had a bit more movement from the driver.

its a tough call though and both are excellent.

Back