The Member Guest Events

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the clubs we have visited or been members at have a member/guest event each year. At our club now it is the pinnacle event and a chance to show off the conditions and amenities of the facility. With that said, our club is closed from Thursday to Sunday including the restaurants to cater to this once a year platform and campaign.

I also have no issue with that as it is a big deal and they do a lot to prepare for it. If you are a member at a course, is yours similar with the closures? Is the member/guest the premier event each year?

Ours is closed Wednesday-Saturday. I don't love it, but I get it.

Also don't play in it - which may change soon'ish. Need the right partner okay to put the money down and have a great time.

Is the goal of these to gain new members? If not then why the need to show off the course? I would assume its maintained pretty well on the regular no?

Also don't play in it - which may change soon'ish. Need the right partner okay to put the money down and have a great time.

Is the goal of these to gain new members? If not then why the need to show off the course? I would assume its maintained pretty well on the regular no?
I can speak for mine, to say that arguably it is, but also to showcase the best condition the course can be in.

...which I find a bit insulting as a regular member who doesn't play, since I would prefer that effort be put into when I play - however if I were to ever participate and pay that kind of money (we're at like 850 for the pair for buy in), I'd be thrilled to see the course in pristine condition.

• Admin

Our course is totally full on membership, so currently no. But in general I would say that is an ideal. As well as showcasing the club in the best possible light.

In our club it's the Member / Guest and Member / Member that are the peak events, course is always closed Thu - Sat for those. But the club does a good job of getting us out on other courses in the area if one wants to play during those days.

My club had theirs at the end of July. I did not play in it. For the two days of the event, the golf course was not open for play other than the tournament. It’s definitely one of the club’s major golf events.

• Admin
My club had theirs at the end of July. I did not play in it. For the two days of the event, the golf course was not open for play other than the tournament. It’s definitely one of the club’s major golf events.

Are the restaurants or grill areas open? Or club completely closed?

We have it on our annual schedule but the last two years it did not get enough signups so they cancelled it.
Club Championship and Member/Member way more popular at my course.

My old club closed the course down & facilities as well during the member - guest event. It is what it is…

Are the restaurants or grill areas open? Or club completely closed?

The restaurant was open. So, club was not completely closed.

Member/Member, Member/Guest, Club Championship, and the Tournament of Champions, the course is typically running at its fastest. The greens are usually pretty good to begin with year round(minus aeration season) but during those events, they're usually running a bit faster on the stimp.

Member Guest this year happens to be 4 days after 2nd stage of Q School, so she is going to be probably next to perfect. As far as that bothering members or not, nah. We seem to get it that when the course gets hard and fast, the course can be a bit painful. I'm okay with the greens being at a more playable speed than when it's a worry when you're above the hole or across a slope.

That being said, my guest and I are pretty excited, as are the few friends I have signed up and ready to go. It's gonna be a fun time.

To my knowledge, everything will remain open minus the actual course. They may limit the restaurant to the terrace minus the main dining room, but that's TBD from what I can tell.

We have it on our annual schedule but the last two years it did not get enough signups so they cancelled it.
Club Championship and Member/Member way more popular at my course.
Wow that's surprising. Ours has a waiting list every single year.

For my club we aren't trying to gain new members but all members like to show their course off to friends that are members somewhere else.

We definitely try to have the course in top condition and it is mostly closed during the event. I haven't played the last two years because the guy I want to bring had a conflict but I will definitely play next year.

I may know a guy. lol...

We filled up in about 4 hours this year and even after adding a flight had a waiting list.

Mine was asking for my guest's GHIN number and when I didn't have that info back within 2 hours, wait listed. They thankfully added more to the event and it wasn't an issue, but still... Yikes. I've never seen a M/G fill up so fast.

So... If it's flighted, I might be able to help. Just throwing it out there.

Our member/guest is over the top and shuts down the course Th-Sat. Its only open to 60 teams so it fills up instantly. As much as I want to play in it, I’m just as happy not paying the $1,075 - all the schwag seems to find its way into a goodwill bag eventually. For instance, I got custom FJ shoes - any design I wanted up to $280. The problem is that FJ shoes hurt my feet so much I can’t wear them. So, I have a $250 pair of shoes that are pretty to look at but have seen the course 3 times.

Ours is supposed to be in a couple weeks and would be Thursday-Sunday with the course pretty much shutting down for most of that. It was usually supposed to be the biggest event but over the last few years since the current ownership has owned it the event has slowly gotten worse each year. A name change along with a lot of course and management issues has almost all of us boycotting it this year. We have about 50 people that are heading to a nearby course to play that Saturday and Sunday to stick it to the company.

We had an 83 year old lady who has been a member for years (multiple club championships) that spoke during the last golf committee meeting and said if she was allowed to play in it she wouldn't because she would be embarrassed to bring a guest out. It's a shame because it should be the best tournament and a great weekend to show off the club but right now there's nothing good to show off.

Our member/guest is over the top and shuts down the course Th-Sat. Its only open to 60 teams so it fills up instantly. As much as I want to play in it, I’m just as happy not paying the $1,075 - all the schwag seems to find its way into a goodwill bag eventually. For instance, I got custom FJ shoes - any design I wanted up to $280. The problem is that FJ shoes hurt my feet so much I can’t wear them. So, I have a $250 pair of shoes that are pretty to look at but have seen the course 3 times.
Is that per team or per person?

this has always been of interest to me. Why is the buy in sooo high at these events? Course conditions that much better warrant the price hike?

Members already play golf there, what happens after the tournament, conditions go to junk?! wouldnt you want to play the week after the member guest if you are not a competitive person interested in bragging rights?

this has always been of interest to me. Why is the buy in sooo high at these events? Course conditions that much better warrant the price hike?

Members already play golf there, what happens after the tournament, conditions go to junk?! wouldnt you want to play the week after the member guest if you are not a competitive person interested in bragging rights?

Its considered the pinnacle event at our club. The meals are great, the swag is well done from what I have seen and you have the entire facilities to yourself for a few days. Its a special event that they are pretty proud of.

After playing in my first one this year, this is key, you really need to find someone, and their spouse, that you can get along with for 3 straight days!

Back