Launch Monitor Personal Use?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With the drop of the initial news on the Foresight GC3 today, it came up in the thread about usage. What would you use it for? Club data, golf sim, ball data, lessons? All of the above? What do you think would be your primary use?

With the drop of the initial news on the Foresight GC3 today, it came up in the thread about usage. What would you use it for? Club data, golf sim, ball data, lessons? All of the above? What do you think would be your primary use?

For me, it needs to be a full sim for me to use it. It’s way too easy to chase numbers on one in every way, and that’s not always how to improve your golf game. Is it useful to know how far your shots carry and if you have a glaring number like too much launch, too much spin etc? Sure. But where does it turn into too much information?

I'm in the market in a couple years once I build my Sim setup.

For me it will be for the ability to practice at home whenever I want, help my kids have full access to hitting balls whenever they want, and just all around fun.
Where it goes from there? Who knows.

I'm mostly motivated by local clubs refusal to offer fair family pricing packages and their insistence on price gouging for children - but thats a different thread.

The GC3 release is making me contemplate this very question. I’m a current SkyTrak user. Unfortunately (for pinpoint accuracy sake), I think SkyTrak is my market. I don’t test enough equipment to need more accurate spin/launch numbers and I fear I’m not a good enough self-teacher to utilize more accurate club data.

What I do need is reasonably accurate data with a simple simulator integration so I can play a quick sim round when I want and it seems like SkyTrak is currently the right equipment/price for me.

For me it's for the basement/garage setup that I hope to have someday. Accurate ball data is a must, club data would be nice, and simulator software capability a must.

For me it would be used as a sim during the winter extensively to stay in golf shape and an easy place to practice at home during the season.
I'm not a numbers chaser but I wouldn't ignore the information that would be garnered.

Sim Golf for me and the family would no doubt be the biggest use.

club/ball data as well when needed.

some practice time, though would be more apt to do that at the course. golf is still more than just chasing a number.

The GC3 release is making me contemplate this very question. I’m a current SkyTrak user. Unfortunately (for pinpoint accuracy sake), I think SkyTrak is my market. I don’t test enough equipment to need more accurate spin/launch numbers and I fear I’m not a good enough self-teacher to utilize more accurate club data.

What I do need is reasonably accurate data with a simple simulator integration so I can play a quick sim round when I want and it seems like SkyTrak is currently the right equipment/price for me.
That's essentially my market as well. The GC3 is going to be a great product, no doubt, and I fear above my price point. I'll probably be looking at a GC2 whenever I build. I was hoping the Foresight/Bushnell product was going to be a revamp of the GC2 potentially at a slightly cheaper price, but obviously it's not that.

• Admin
For me, it needs to be a full sim for me to use it. It’s way too easy to chase numbers on one in every way, and that’s not always how to improve your golf game. Is it useful to know how far your shots carry and if you have a glaring number like too much launch, too much spin etc? Sure. But where does it turn into too much information?
Do you have space or ceiling height for that?

Do you have space or ceiling height for that?

Garage, absolutely. In the house, meeeeh. It would need to be a dedicated room.

I am more thinking about a friend of mine who has all the space in the world upstairs in his house, he just needs the monitor and the setup. I suppose marital support would be helpful but whatever, she’ll eventually forgive him I bet. Then I get to use it too, YAY!

I'll be honest, for me, the need isn't there. Don't get me wrong, I love having a GC2 and even a Rhapsodo sitting next to me. But, I honestly don't have a ton of space. I have set up my garage once with my net and hit balls in there for winter months at times. But I don't run a full sim setup. Getting data is fun, but then I find myself just chasing numbers. They are great for learning your distances and club performance. Certainly, help with aspects of reviews.

I have a SkyTrak now that I basically use as an in home driving range. I don't like just hitting balls into a net with no feedback other than feel. All of the other info is great but that's the main reason I use it. Occasionally a SIM round is fun as well.

I do think additional software would change my mind a bit.

I would want one for sim golf at home. I don’t have a place for it in my house right now, but if I ever leave AZ to somewhere colder, it will be a priority. I simply don’t want to live in a world where 300+ days of golf is impossible. I have a place at the office for a sim setup, but I spend most of my time wishing I weren’t at the office and don’t need more reasons to stick around.

100% for practice. i want to verify that i'm doing what i'm supposed to be doing. video is good, but seeing the numbers shift is hugely helpful for me.

I'd love to have one if I had the space. I feel like with those you always end up chasing numbers, I'd probably have to use it as sim only and not look at data. Then that makes you wonder if the pricetag is worth it compared to something like Sky Trak

I would only be interested in the whole process including be able to simulate a round. I don't think it would be wise for me to pretend I know exactly what numbers I'm supposed to be going after. I could help myself after a lesson on things in working on but it would be way more fun to just play a round.

For me it would be used for a SIM & to get some basic data. I own the Voice Caddie SC300 and can honestly say I've only used it a handful of times. I don't get to the range much & would definitely use it if it could dual as a SIM.

if I could make it work where I can play Carnoustie in 30MPH winds with @MWard and @jdtox all at our own houses I'd be down.

I’ve always gotten more out of lessons when technology is used. So it would be for numbers on the course and range.

Eventually it might transition to home sim use. But I don’t have the space currently without giving up my home office or garage.

if I could make it work where I can play Carnoustie in 30MPH winds with @MWard and @jdtox all at our own houses I'd be down.

We got literally one hole downwind, and then proceeded to hit it like absolute trash 😢

With all my struggles off the tee this year, having club and ball data would be huge for me to understand where I'm going wrong a lot of the time. Is my spin too high and I'm not getting the distance I'm after? Is my AoA negative and that's why the ball isn't launching how I'm expecting? Is my path way out to in causing a slice? What were my numbers like when I actually feel like I smoked one? Are they in an ideal window or could I find even more success with some tuning? Bunch of stuff that the data would be very useful for.

And when the colder months hit here, I spend a pretty dumb amount of time at our course's simulators. Having that option to play and keep my swing in good shape (for December and of course every winter after lol) would be so exciting for me. Golf is all I want to do and winter sucks. So being able to practice or play any time I'd want would be such an incredible luxury. Even during summer months. We live relatively far from the course so if I wasn't feeling up to leaving, I could just fire up the sim and get some work in.

Again, all of this would be a luxury but it would be one I really want lol

practice only, sim has zero appeal to me.

We got literally one hole downwind, and then proceeded to hit it like absolute trash 😢

I don't know about you, I pured every shot. It was the wind that made things go awry

:ROFLMAO: Oh man now that would be something! That could make it all worth it.

Back